Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2602 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ludder093:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Video posted to TG of two Russians patrolling in Kherson, video is from right behind them

Racist patrol on one of the Kherson streets. The video was released by the Yellow Ribbon movement. With the comment: "Rashists, we are always following you."
https://t.me/operativnoZSU/43736

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#3]
Edit, quoted wrong.

I reiterate what I said yesterday, we have never seen a live ejection from these.  The pilots really do seem to ride them in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

I reiterate what I said yesterday, we have never seen a live ejection from these.  The pilots really do seem to ride them in.
View Quote

I’m guessing you meant to reply to the Ka-52 downing?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:22:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendelsbane] [#5]
NVM
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

@almightyTallest

I'm astonished at your breadth of knowledge on armaments and capabilities.

Your input has made this a very informative and interesting thread; and one very habit forming.

Would you mind giving me a 10 second rundown on how you acquired all this info.

I'm assuming a military contractor with some possible military experience.

Just share what you're comfortable sharing.

Same goes for

@capta
@r0n

Thanks for your contributions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:

The key to these bigger systems with much better optics and radar is that yes, you can keep them hundreds of miles behind the front lines, with say an S-300 and other air defense systems underneath it while it detects for the the user all the enemy units from over 30,000 feet up and can zoom in with thermal imaging systems to make positive ID on targets and threats.  It can also stay up for over a day, continuously monitoring the front line.

It can laser designate targets and guide precision weapons, laser and GPS.  It would be very useful.

@almightyTallest

I'm astonished at your breadth of knowledge on armaments and capabilities.

Your input has made this a very informative and interesting thread; and one very habit forming.

Would you mind giving me a 10 second rundown on how you acquired all this info.

I'm assuming a military contractor with some possible military experience.

Just share what you're comfortable sharing.

Same goes for

@capta
@r0n

Thanks for your contributions.

Thank you for the kind words, I do make mistakes or forget some info sometimes, others more qualified in a field will help correct my info if it's wrong. I worked in the US defense industry for over 20 years.  I have done contract work for Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, DARPA, L-3 and others.  Most of my work is Sensors and air and missile defense.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

You have a disturbing point, and it’s occurred to me, too.

I probably haven’t read the book in 10 years, but I probably read it carefully about three times in the 10 or 15 years before that. It’s an amazing work of history, and the lessons are valuable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
I read it years ago.
I also noticed that it also resembles The US, Right Now.
Jan 6 equates the Reichstag Fire for starters.
I told the son of a Cousin to look up the book and re-read it.

You have a disturbing point, and it’s occurred to me, too.

I probably haven’t read the book in 10 years, but I probably read it carefully about three times in the 10 or 15 years before that. It’s an amazing work of history, and the lessons are valuable.

Indeed it is but no one reads anymore.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

It sure would be nice to see Ukraine do a Wrath of God type of operation after the war, and target some of the Russian leadership (military or otherwise).  Doubtful though.  It would be a whole different ballgame assassinating individuals of a recognized country and military vs. the PLO.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

lol, yea.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#10]

This one might be something.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#11]
I'm slacking today, apologies.

ISW assessment for yesterday.  

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-september-23

The Russian mobilization system is struggling to execute the task Russian President Vladimir Putin set and will likely fail to produce mobilized reserve forces even of the low quality that Putin’s plans would have generated unless the Kremlin can rapidly fix fundamental and systemic problems. Putin and Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu announced that the Russian Armed Forces would mobilize combat-ready reservists to quickly stabilize the frontlines and regain the initiative on the battlefield.[1] Milblogger and social media reports, however, show that Russian military recruitment centers, enlistment officials, and local administrations are mobilizing men who do not meet the Kremlin’s stated criteria, especially Shoigu’s promise that mobilization would prioritize men with “combat experience.” Russian opposition outlets and Telegram channels leaked information suggesting that the Kremlin aims to complete this partial mobilization by November 10 and that the Kremlin is seeking to mobilize 1.2 million men instead of the publicly announced 300,000.[2] ISW cannot verify these reports, but significant available information suggests that this mobilization campaign (the first in post-Soviet Russia) is overwhelming an ineffective and unmotivated bureaucratic system and could fail to generate the much-needed combat-ready reserve force in a short time or at all.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:32:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#12]
New drone video of an Su-30 shootdown.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Peengwin:
@CharlieR

It takes a brave man to be a coward in the Red Army

I don't think this could be understated. Thank you for the phrasing.
View Quote

LOL. I should have put it in quotations.  Josef Stalin said it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sq40:

Thanks for that.

That’s a really tough fight.  With the Russian artillery active, and them having their backs against the river they can’t cross, it’s a real deal siege and assault with peer parity.  It seems that they will be stalemated through winter.
View Quote

My wife is from Mykolaiv.  She follows a ton of local telegram channels, and other groups.  Today she just said, "Ukraine is losing in Kershon".  Foe whatever thats worth.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#15]
It claims they did eject, wow.  After the hit there are two small flashes which might be the ejection seats.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:47:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#18]
4hrs ago.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Need to figure out how to shoot down those IL76 drone transports.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Check a map, you will see why controlling Kherson is desirable.

I have also read that Russia has made significant domestic propaganda point at home wrt occupying Kherson - “watermelons” and all. I do not pretend to understand the cultural significance of the Kherson occupation in psychological terms, but I’m told it is a thing. Taking it back presumably may hold a significant psychological effect about support for the war within Russia. That’s just an added speculation beyond the very obvious strategic reasons.

The UAF is making consistent progress and presumably finds it a strategically beneficial trade-off. We don’t know the casualty figures to enable making a judgment on that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By anonimovaca:

The discussion here is about Kherson. The linked article says Ukraine is suffering high casualties in Kherson. Ukraine has not captured much territory in Kherson. Why continue to advance in Kherson for small gains of territory if Russia is having trouble resupplying Kherson?  

I have also read that Russia has made significant domestic propaganda point at home wrt occupying Kherson - “watermelons” and all. I do not pretend to understand the cultural significance of the Kherson occupation in psychological terms, but I’m told it is a thing. Taking it back presumably may hold a significant psychological effect about support for the war within Russia. That’s just an added speculation beyond the very obvious strategic reasons.

The UAF is making consistent progress and presumably finds it a strategically beneficial trade-off. We don’t know the casualty figures to enable making a judgment on that.

I am not saying that Kherson is not desirable for Ukraine, but asking if the territory gained in Kherson is worth the casualties (which are reported to be high).

If Russia is going to have trouble resupplying Kherson, why throw a bunch of manpower directly assaulting it?

Ukraine seems to be able to hit anything in the region with HIMARS.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#24]

That’s a top-line, all-in number and it could be done over extended time in an extreme scenario. He’s not saying they will do it this year, or promising it.  He is  I think just stating the upper Ukr possibility # as a counter to hysteria about Russian numbers in some less informed circles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

I'm pretty skeptical of this claim. The Ukrainians are struggling to arm and train the amount of manpower they have now. Without a massive uptick in Western arms and training, I can't see that feasibly happening at all.

That’s a top-line, all-in number and it could be done over extended time in an extreme scenario. He’s not saying they will do it this year, or promising it.  He is  I think just stating the upper Ukr possibility # as a counter to hysteria about Russian numbers in some less informed circles.

That makes sense. On the subject of manpower, although I've posted this before in this thread, I'm of the belief that the Ukrainians need more small arms, mags, ammo, plates, pouches, etc. They have a lot of manpower in reserve that is willing to fight, but they simply don't have enough of the above to adequately train and equip them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#25]

I am not saying that Kherson is not desirable for Ukraine, but asking if the territory gained in Kherson is worth the casualties (which are reported to be high).

If Russia is going to have trouble resupplying Kherson, why throw a bunch of manpower directly assaulting it?

View All Quotes

The discussion here is about Kherson. The linked article says Ukraine is suffering high casualties in Kherson. Ukraine has not captured much territory in Kherson. Why continue to advance in Kherson for small gains of territory if Russia is having trouble resupplying Kherson?  

Clausewitz and fixing/destroying the forces on the neck is prelude to kicking Vlad out of Crimea and the rest of UA.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Granting them the possibility of not returning to Russia is the correct call, IMO. Especially in light of the punishments Putin is now handing out for surrendering.

Also, I can't find the source now, but I read a day or two ago that the Freedom of Russia Legion has had thousands of potential draftees contact them, stating that they intend to desert their units in Ukraine and join up with the Legion. Obviously they have to beware of FSB infiltrators and things of that nature, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see their numbers swell.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#27]

If they want to sell stuff cheap, we should just buy their stuff.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I want a Tigr for $5000.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Rostov region

View Quote
The truck shown at :07 is sporting those sweet Chicom tires it looks like.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#30]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdZPs-rWYAIkR1W?format=jpg&name=900x900

If they want to sell stuff cheap, we should just buy their stuff.
View Quote

This reminds me a bit of Chechnya. There, Russian soldiers were known to sell weapons to the Chechen insurgents in exchange for guarantees that their positions wouldn't get attacked.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By voyager3:
I keep seeing all the posts suggesting that Israel puts itself on the line and I don't understand where they got the notion.
Israel doesn't owe Ukraine and its people a thing. Out of two millions of ex-USSR Israelis, about half are from Ukraine and they don't have any fond memories of the place. The fact that Ukraine elected a president with some Jewish roots was actually the result of 2014 war fatigue and the votes mostly came from the pro-russian and indifferent parts of the population. The nationalists despised him and being Jewish didn't help. Ukraine as a country never wasted a chance to vote against Israel in the UN and to sell aerospace and military technology to its enemies like Iran. Not even going to start on how gladly the local collaborationists helped the Nazis during WW2.
That orcs are now using Iranian drones on UA is some poetic justice. Let the antisemites slaughter each other as far as IL is concerned.
View Quote

JDPC
(Join Date, Post Count)
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By voyager3:
I keep seeing all the posts suggesting that Israel puts itself on the line and I don't understand where they got the notion.
Israel doesn't owe Ukraine and its people a thing. Out of two millions of ex-USSR Israelis, about half are from Ukraine and they don't have any fond memories of the place. The fact that Ukraine elected a president with some Jewish roots was actually the result of 2014 war fatigue and the votes mostly came from the pro-russian and indifferent parts of the population. The nationalists despised him and being Jewish didn't help. Ukraine as a country never wasted a chance to vote against Israel in the UN and to sell aerospace and military technology to its enemies like Iran. Not even going to start on how gladly the local collaborationists helped the Nazis during WW2.
That orcs are now using Iranian drones on UA is some poetic justice. Let the antisemites slaughter each other as far as IL is concerned.
View Quote

Ahh. Welcome to the party. What took you so long?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

Even if they do, trying to support forces armed with both the AK-12/74 in 5.45x39 and the AKM in 7.62x39 would have to complicate logistics even more for them.

I don't understand why they would even need to be issuing conscripts old AKM rifles. They should have enough AK-74's left over from the 1980s to easily arm a million troops with. Yet apparently they don't. Where the hell did all of them go?
View Quote

In trash cans?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I want a Tigr for $5000.
View Quote

Hell me too when I saw they were selling them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
I want a Tigr for $5000.

When does Ben's flight leave for Poland?  

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

Russia will claim they were attacked by Finland or Estonia now...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
Originally Posted By Schmigs:

Just for reference:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65378/agdhdh_PNG-2537553.png

Russia will claim they were attacked by Finland or Estonia now...

Yeah, Ukraine was just a feint. He's holding back all the good troops and equipment for the pincer attack into Finland and Estonia. Master strategist indeed.
Sarc.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By GreenLantern:

It sure would be nice to see Ukraine do a Wrath of God type of operation after the war, and target some of the Russian leadership (military or otherwise).  Doubtful though.  It would be a whole different ballgame assassinating individuals of a recognized country and military vs. the PLO.
View Quote

They can mail all those war criminals a "you won a free cruise to Cuba" letter and when they show up to the "travel agency" that you set up in a vacant warehouse, you nab them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

But nothing for rape.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:

My wife is from Mykolaiv.  She follows a ton of local telegram channels, and other groups.  Today she just said, "Ukraine is losing in Kershon".  Foe whatever thats worth.
View Quote

Apparently the UA is focusing on the North.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#42]

It’s there, but I’m sure many officers wish they had higher priority for its direction than they do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rgkeller:
Then where is the UAF artillery?

It’s there, but I’m sure many officers wish they had higher priority for its direction than they do.

I would of thought Ukraine's recon would of prevented them from rolling into the kill box.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

To keep the pressure on so they cannot send anything up North where the UA is making the most progress?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:46:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evil_Chaos] [#44]
What do you think the price of this is "off the lot?"
ETA: Maybe we could do a group buy for a package deal on this and the superbonker 9000

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
I want a Tigr for $5000.

lol, I up my order for a T-80, those have to only be $15,000
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Bama_Rebel:

I would of thought Ukraine's recon would of prevented them from rolling into the kill box.
View Quote

I wasn’t a Soldier but I don’t think that’s how that works. The enemy puts the killbox where you’re going to be, if it can…
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm slacking today, apologies.

ISW assessment for yesterday.  

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-september-23

View Quote

Combat experience in Afghanistan 79’-84 counts !!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Evil_Chaos:
What do you think the price of this is "off the lot?"
ETA: Maybe we could do a group buy for a package deal on this and the superbonker 9000

View Quote

Them: Hey nice roof top tent! Me: yea about that.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By panthermark:

In trash cans?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By panthermark:
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

Even if they do, trying to support forces armed with both the AK-12/74 in 5.45x39 and the AKM in 7.62x39 would have to complicate logistics even more for them.

I don't understand why they would even need to be issuing conscripts old AKM rifles. They should have enough AK-74's left over from the 1980s to easily arm a million troops with. Yet apparently they don't. Where the hell did all of them go?

In trash cans?

Probably to various countries including Ukraine. A lot of those countries likely didn't store them properly as well, so more rust sticks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#50]

Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2602 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top