Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2612 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Agreed. But I suspect that test was ONLY of the ammo and it's effectiveness on small drones.

In the subsequent video's they are hitting fast moving drones. Probably a test of the radar, tracking, etc.

It does look a little big and lumbering for the typical "hobby drone" defense. Hopefully it will lead to something more nimble.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

It is probably a hell of a system, but slowing the drones to sit still and bunching them up so you can show off your system didn't really help them in this demo. Targeting drones should be relatively easy though - if you can track jets, shooting down a drone that goes 100mph or less is going to be a piece of cake.

Agreed. But I suspect that test was ONLY of the ammo and it's effectiveness on small drones.

In the subsequent video's they are hitting fast moving drones. Probably a test of the radar, tracking, etc.

It does look a little big and lumbering for the typical "hobby drone" defense. Hopefully it will lead to something more nimble.

Rheinmetall is working on "hobby drone" defense too.

Rheinmetall – Systems for drone defence
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:03:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saltwater-Hillbilly] [#2]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

Maybe Poland should have a referendum and announce that Kaliningrad has voted to join Poland. I bet the sputtering on that RU TV show would be epic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By klinc:

They should hold a referendum to leave russia.

I’m sure Russia would totally respect the outcome of the election. ( sarcasm)

Maybe Poland should have a referendum and announce that Kaliningrad has voted to join Poland. I bet the sputtering on that RU TV show would be epic.

Nah, if Poland wants to do it in the Russian-approved fashion, they have to:

1) Invade Liberate  Kalinigrad

2)  Declare the Polish State to be the legitimate historical successor to Prussia (sorry Germany )

3)  Rename the place  back to "Konigsberg"

4)  "Filtrate" the current population, sending any resident who  can't (or refuses to) answer questions in either German, Polish or Lithuanian to centers, and anyone who shows any patriotism to Russia to camps along the western Polish border where they are "persuaded" to become good Poles.

5) Force the remaining people to vote to "Rejoin" Poland.  (90% "Yes" vote = Rookie Numbers; should be higher!)

6) Find some patsy "foreign observers" to prattle on about how it was the best/fairest election they've ever seen

7)  Formally annex Konigsberg

8) "Modernize the spelling" of Konigsberg by either "Polishizing" the name OR just translate Konigsberg directly into Polish.

9)  Move a crap-ton of Polish-speakers into the redeemed territory (German-speakers will do in a pinch)

10)  Threaten any country with war that opposes your actions.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
How does that work at night?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Originally Posted By Bluegrasshopper:

Multiple Cessna CAP flying around the clock is still way cheaper than a single ManPad.
How does that work at night?

FLIR
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

The risk of using a UK provided system against an HVT in Russia is too much to be desirable. There’s probably an ex Soviet parts bin that could come up with something similar. The Soviets original SHORAD had laser guided missiles I believe.
View Quote

Yes, good point.

Strip clubs... fine dining... strip clubs... fine dining... country music clubs... jazz clubs...

Okay, Houston it is, sorry Texas.
View Quote

Savvy group of operators here; I had faith the right decision would win out in the end. ;)
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]

And makes your breath minty fresh.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
The real Igor Gherkin Pickle has a telegram account he posts to. Looks like he thinks the mobilization will fail.

-edit more-

Hey asshole. The whole world knew this a week ago. Means fuck all to anyone who isn't under Putin's thumb.
View Quote

If they do declare war, that will likely be the end of Putin as the people of russia won't accept it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
I must have a different version of the Bible
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:21:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#8]

View Quote

May as well throw in 72 virgins…..

“Allah vodka-bar!”
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#9]
https://t.me/Pravda_Gerashchenko/43915

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

And relieves you of all earthly concerns.  Sounds like a perfect opportunity for that decrepit KGB relic to set the example!
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kncook:

May as well throw in 72 virgins ..

"Allah vodka-bar!"
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdacDAUXwAM-kSS?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

That's some weapons grade wisdom right there!
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

2)  Declare the Polish State to be the legitimate historical successor to Prussia (sorry Germany )

4)  "Filtrate" the current population, sending any resident who  can't (or refuses to) answer questions in either German, Polish or Lithuanian to centers, and anyone who shows any patriotism to Russia to camps along the western Polish border where they are "persuaded" to become good Poles.

5) Force the remaining people to vote to "Rejoin" Poland.  (90% "Yes" vote = Rookie Numbers; should be higher!)

6) Find some patsy "foreign observers" to prattle on about how it was the best/fairest election they've ever seen

8) "Modernize the spelling" of Konigsberg by either "Polishizing" the name OR just translate Konigsberg directly into Polish.

9)  Move a crap-ton of Polish-speakers into the redeemed territory (German-speakers will do in a pinch)

View Quote

Fantastic summary. Truly.
Though nukes could have been mentioned as well. But, still. Very good summary.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://t.me/Pravda_Gerashchenko/43915

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNK7y26XwAEVDvJ?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote
I've been at protests in the U.S., it takes an order of magnitude more balls to protest in Russia. You're getting on a prison train to the gulag at best.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

I like you

We can sit down and drink some Palinka
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Rather than wasting their time and efforts protesting, they need to be using their heads. If they go out and join a public protest, they are simply going to be arrested, taken out of the game and silenced. But if each one of these protestors instead decided they would lurk in the shadows and commit acts of sabotage, then they could become really useful. There are lots of things within Russia that if set afire, broken or otherwise damaged, could make a real impact against the war effort. Those that are choosing to demonstrate in public are only wasting their potential. Rather than carrying around signs and shouting chants, they need to be carrying Molotov cocktails, improvised explosives and power tools.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Very similar to what I was thinking I would leave if it was there.
The people there seem to be fine with attacking another country. What they don't like is being forced to be involved with attacking another country. And they seem to be wanting to blame the incompetence of the military as to why they are forced to get involved.

I was thinking something like "We are all going  to die for the glory of our military and the conquering of land for our leaders."
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Can we talk them into hitting New Orleans instead?
View Quote

Would anybody even notice if they did?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:

I like you

View All Quotes

I like you

Maybe some day; I was in Taszar during SFOR and I would love to check out Kaposvar, Pecs, and Lake Balaton again
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Yeah. Maybe with some kind of rapid response team at various places.

Try everything. Go with what works. This isn't that different than the doodle bugs they sent after london.
View All Quotes
Imagining some civilian with a Cessna 120 with twin PKT Mounted above the wing flying CAP against Iranian Drones over Odessa.

Yeah. Maybe with some kind of rapid response team at various places.

Try everything. Go with what works. This isn't that different than the doodle bugs they sent after london.

Spitfires and Hurricanes flew intercept missions against the V1's. I'm sure there are deviously gifted Ukrainian red necks thinking about jury rigging something to help with this while their .mil folks figure out a proper solution.

My respect for Ukrainians has skyrocketed over the last several years. If anyone can figure this out they can.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

Even better, it's "ground meat" not cannon fodder (though the meaning is the same obviously, I just think the literal translation is more appropriate here lol)
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Imagining some civilian with a Cessna 120 with twin PKT Mounted above the wing flying CAP against Iranian Drones over Odessa.
View Quote
More like dust off some M16 MGMC(or at least the turret from them), retrofit them with some sort of optical camera AI motion tracking setup and place them all over the place as a point defense for drones.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Former French Foreign Legion soldiers on the front line in Ukraine
https://www.mediapart.fr/en/journal/international/060322/former-french-foreign-legion-soldiers-front-line-ukraine?_locale=en&onglet=full

The Russian invasion has caused a stir inside the French Foreign Legion which has around 700 Ukrainians in its ranks. There have been media rumours of desertions by soldiers who want to go and fight in Ukraine, and the commanding officer has gone public with an appeal for troops to honour their oath to the Legion. Mediapart has meanwhile identified several former legionnaires who are already on the front line and has spoken to one there who claims there are 'a hundred' current and former legionnaire already in Ukraine. Sébastien Bourdon reports.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Rather than wasting their time and efforts protesting, they need to be using their heads. If they go out and join a public protest, they are simply going to be arrested, taken out of the game and silenced. But if each one of these protestors instead decided they would lurk in the shadows and commit acts of sabotage, then they could become really useful. There are lots of things within Russia that if set afire, broken or otherwise damaged, could make a real impact against the war effort. Those that are choosing to demonstrate in public are only wasting their potential. Rather than carrying around signs and shouting chants, they need to be carrying Molotov cocktails, improvised explosives and power tools.
View Quote

Yep, absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Since the early days of the Soviet Union, this is the script the Soviets/Russians have followed.  It is established doctrine.  Can you imagine the screams of rage from Putin and the Russians in general if they had their own rules imposed on them
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Hell yeah, set up ambushes, something, anything besides allowing your self to get picked up by cops and hauled off to die.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

He is either home in England or on his way home there.  He and a good few others were released.  They are/were in Saudi Arabia.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
More like dust off some M16 MGMC(or at least the turret from them), retrofit them with some sort of optical camera AI motion tracking setup and place them all over the place as a point defense for drones.
View Quote

Or rig up some sort of comparable gun turret and put it on top of an M113. The Ukrainians have a lot of those things now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

Or rig up some sort of comparable gun turret and put it on top of an M113. The Ukrainians have a lot of those things now.
View Quote
that is called a M163 VADS...

Isrealis supposedly used them as anti-snipers during early 2000s.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

Yep, absolutely.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K0UA:

Yep, absolutely.

The Russian society is not as advanced in thinking like that though... they actually think protesting makes a difference.. it's like they have not paid attention to the Arab spring uprisings, the only way they can make a difference is to violently change things. ..unfortunately
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Silence:
that is called a M163 VADS...

Isrealis supposedly used them as anti-snipers during early 2000s.
View Quote

Now I’m going down the Wiki rabbit hole looking at M113 variants. That minigun toting one looks like it would be great for those Iranian lawn mowers
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Maybe some day; I was in Taszar during SFOR and I would love to check out Kaposvar, Pecs, and Lake Balaton again
View All Quotes

I like you

Mi casa...I will show you someday.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

They don't want to do anything that might get them in real trouble. They just don't want to be sent to fight. Up until a few days ago they were totally fine with russia invading ukraine. They probably had a Z shirt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

The US thinking is a 50kw HE laser on a Stryker.  These are being delivered now.  Stryker engine cools and recharges the laser, so no munitions train.

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2022/01/13/army-readies-to-deliver-first-set-of-strykers-with-50-kilowatt-laser-weapons/

Raytheon cartoon porn (the actual units ARE being delivered, not vaporware):
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/52BC12C3-5CC0-4662-A3F3-BB1B058F2A00_png-2539244.JPG
View Quote

DEWs and a distributed sensor network, maybe including drones acting as mini-AWACS, are going to be big in the coming decades, I think.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

They have been effective. Hopefully the HQ hits weren't too devastating. I would pay good money to read the mil-forum thread.
View Quote

I wish it had been moved to Team instead of the Mil forum.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#44]

MADIS and the SHORAD Stryker use a low velocity 30, that’s probably a better tool here, and in the future I expect the gun to get larger.

ETA: the MADIS Mk. 2 has a 7.62 minigun which is probably better than an M3P.

Actually if I found out that some of those M1A1 hills in the desert were to be repurposed to use a 76mm naval gun in a turret I wouldn’t be surprised.
View All Quotes

Probably something more along the lines of a couple of M3Ps (a high-cyclic rate mod of the AN/M2 design) on a CROWs-type mount.  The AVENGER uses the M3P for close-in defense, so the tech is already developed.

MADIS and the SHORAD Stryker use a low velocity 30, that’s probably a better tool here, and in the future I expect the gun to get larger.

ETA: the MADIS Mk. 2 has a 7.62 minigun which is probably better than an M3P.

Actually if I found out that some of those M1A1 hills in the desert were to be repurposed to use a 76mm naval gun in a turret I wouldn’t be surprised.

Give Italy a call, they may still have plans sitting around:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otomatic
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#45]

They don't want to do anything that might get them in real trouble. They just don't want to be sent to fight. Up until a few days ago they were totally fine with russia invading ukraine. They probably had a Z shirt.
View All Quotes

That's almost exactly what I was going to say.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Jack841:

View Quote

It’s what I had in mind. Or a 57mm. Could double as a support gun. Ammo is about $14,000 a round for guided.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Goodn:

He is either home in England or on his way home there.  He and a good few others were released.  They are/were in Saudi Arabia.
View Quote

Appears he is back in the UK (not UA).
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#48]

It’s what I had in mind. Or a 57mm. Could double as a support gun. Ammo is about $14,000 a round for guided.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack841:

I remember seeing these in Janes back in the eighties or nineties, I guess, and thinking they were serious overkill/less useful than missiles. Things change, I guess. LOL.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Perfect, the can rape and pillage and still get to go to heaven
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:03:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#50]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Former French Foreign Legion soldiers on the front line in Ukraine
https://www.mediapart.fr/en/journal/international/060322/former-french-foreign-legion-soldiers-front-line-ukraine?_locale=en&onglet=full

The Russian invasion has caused a stir inside the French Foreign Legion which has around 700 Ukrainians in its ranks. There have been media rumours of desertions by soldiers who want to go and fight in Ukraine, and the commanding officer has gone public with an appeal for troops to honour their oath to the Legion. Mediapart has meanwhile identified several former legionnaires who are already on the front line and has spoken to one there who claims there are 'a hundred' current and former legionnaire already in Ukraine. Sébastien Bourdon reports.
View Quote

Anyone know what happened to that one guy from before the start that was supposed to be ex FFL at like 23?
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2612 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top