Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3299 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:03:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

There are two feed chutes, one for the HEI-T and one for APFSDS-T.  Loading them is a pain in teh ass and will slice your hands. Feed chutes are sharp.

You flip a switch and it will fire whatever round is next up, then the round you selected.
The feedchutes run back to the ammo cans under the dismounts floorboards.

Obviously there are ballistics algorithms associated with different trajectories.

HEI-T is really effective for punching HE rounds into the face of a defender and you can keep it right in front of the trench clearing guys...closer then a tank, obviously.  SO the sweet spot is 400 meters.  Outside of RPG-7 range but close enough you can punch HEI to help clear teh trench...or COAX if you are really cutting it close.
View Quote

Minor point, the ammo bins are in the turret with the M242. I forget the exact capacities but the HE bin is 1/3 and the AP about 2/3 of the ready ammo. The ammo storage under the dismount "floor boards" is just packed in plastic "cans", with no connection to the turret, and has to be linked up IIRC.

You are right about those feed chutes though. Pain in the ass!
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:09:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit8472] [#2]
For those of us monitoring the fight against nay-sayers to supporting Ukraine, I’m HAPPY to hear a segment on Dennis Prager’s podcast, a prominent conservative whom I respect a lot, where he dismantles all the arguments and mentions Tucker by name.

We’ve definitely made the points he has already. A good response I haven’t hear before is his argument against it being for the military industry complex (never thought I’d see the day conservatives used that) next time I debate a couple family members.

A) you mean I’d there were no such complex, we’d have no interest and B) europe was a bunch of pacifists and then became mil ind complex folks when the war came along?

Podcast link if you do that, 27:08 mark starts the Ukraine segment:

ETA: he also takes calls and debates people that disagree with supporting Ukraine

Dennis Prager podcast
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:
For those of us monitoring the fight against nay-sayers to supporting Ukraine, I’m HAPPY to hear a segment on Dennis Prager’s podcast, a prominent conservative whom I respect a lot, where he dismantles all the arguments and mentions Tucker by name.

We’ve definitely made the points he has already. A good response I haven’t hear before is his argument against it being for the military industry complex (never thought I’d see the day conservatives used that) next time I debate a couple family members.

A) you mean I’d there were no such complex, we’d have no interest and B) europe was a bunch of pacifists and then became mil ind complex folks when the war came along?

Dennis Prager podcast
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:14:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#4]
For those of us monitoring the fight against nay-sayers to supporting Ukraine, I'm HAPPY to hear a segment on Dennis Prager's podcast, a prominent conservative whom I respect a lot, where he dismantles all the arguments and mentions Tucker by name.

We've definitely made the points he has already. A good response I haven't hear before is his argument against it being for the military industry complex (never thought I'd see the day conservatives used that) next time I debate a couple family members.

A) you mean I'd there were no such complex, we'd have no interest and B) europe was a bunch of pacifists and then became mil ind complex folks when the war came along?

Dennis Prager podcast
View Quote

Stephen Kotkin is another good guy to listen to on why the arguments against helping Ukraine or that it is all the West's fault don't hold any water.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
I think a lot of us are missing the point.

I **WANT** America to initiate, fund, and even direct revolutions that lead to freedom. Not South American tin-pot dictators mind you - but revolutions that lead to democracies that are willing to fight for their existence and freedoms.  Revolutions like Maidan in Ukraine.  If we participated there I'd PROUDLY wave that flag.  I'd fucking run that on the front page of the Times in bold print with pride.

When did we get so amazingly pussified that we can't even admit that we help other people fight for freedom?  What has happened to Reagan's "shining city on a hill"?  Who are we if we aren't willing to fight to help others achieve the freedoms that we enjoy? When did conservatives become the party of "fuck everyone but ourselves"?  When did the world turn upside down and the goddamn commie LIBERALS become the party that is about exporting our greatest commodity?  That commodity, my friends, is FREEDOM.

Fuck Russia, fuck their entire kleptocratic, totalitarian, one-man-rule system.  People that mention Russian corruption and America in the same sentence have absolutely fallen for the propaganda that they have been pumping into our society since 1917.  America *at its worst* is still better than Putin's system on its best day.  We have assholes here - but at least we can (eventually) vote them out. It may take time and effort but our democracy still works. It's feeble but it's still better than anything that came out of the last 500 years in Russia.  They have caused more misery, pain, and heartache for the world than any other nation.  Period.  Anyone who wants to argue this should talk to a Pole or a Ukrainian.

I repeat - I want my tax dollars sent to kick out assholes like Viktor Yanukovych.  Because fuck that guy, the system that he represents, and his masters in the Kremlin.

Don't fall for the propaganda.  We have been and are still are part of a system that represents human freedom and dignity.  The Russian are not.

View Quote

Freedom through superior firepower. We have it, and need to share it.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#6]

I **WANT** America to initiate, fund, and even direct revolutions that lead to freedom. Not South American tin-pot dictators mind you - but revolutions that lead to democracies that are willing to fight for their existence and freedoms.  Revolutions like Maidan in Ukraine.  If we participated there I'd PROUDLY wave that flag.  I'd fucking run that on the front page of the Times in bold print with pride.

When did we get so amazingly pussified that we can't even admit that we help other people fight for freedom?  What has happened to Reagan's "shining city on a hill"?  Who are we if we aren't willing to fight to help others achieve the freedoms that we enjoy? When did conservatives become the party of "fuck everyone but ourselves"?  When did the world turn upside down and the goddamn commie LIBERALS become the party that is about exporting our greatest commodity?  That commodity, my friends, is FREEDOM.

Fuck Russia, fuck their entire kleptocratic, totalitarian, one-man-rule system.  People that mention Russian corruption and America in the same sentence have absolutely fallen for the propaganda that they have been pumping into our society since 1917.  America *at its worst* is still better than Putin's system on its best day.  We have assholes here - but at least we can (eventually) vote them out. It may take time and effort but our democracy still works. It's feeble but it's still better than anything that came out of the last 500 years in Russia.  They have caused more misery, pain, and heartache for the world than any other nation.  Period.  Anyone who wants to argue this should talk to a Pole or a Ukrainian.

I repeat - I want my tax dollars sent to kick out assholes like Viktor Yanukovych.  Because fuck that guy, the system that he represents, and his masters in the Kremlin.

Don't fall for the propaganda.  We have been and are still are part of a system that represents human freedom and dignity.  The Russian are not.

View Quote

That would be nice if we could be assured that such influence would only be used for good, but my cursory review of the historical record seems to indicate that usually either 1) you get agencies who don't know wtf they are doing and back the wrong horse (e.g., Diem in South Vietnam, several other times in AFG and Pakistan), or 2) you get agencies or people within those agencies who get cut-in on whatever the biggest economic game grift in town is, and they start to confuse their personal interests with "America's interests".

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By vahog:

I'm thinking we may have seen a video of a strike using one of these in late December? We sort of said, "That looks like clusters but surely not."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vahog:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

I'm thinking we may have seen a video of a strike using one of these in late December? We sort of said, "That looks like clusters but surely not."

I agree, when i saw the video i swore it was a DPICM but thought the Ukrainians didnt have any, but if Turkey has been sending them since November Im pretty positive its what we saw.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif

That will save some lives, for sure.
View All Quotes

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif

That will save some lives, for sure.

and take many more.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

No.

The Democrat talking points surrounding the "Russian influence" on the election are/were that they had an effect.

FACT:  They did not.  They had zero effect.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R0N:

Most certainly the Russians attempted to influence it

So then, would you say that it's intellectually dishonest to dismiss the Russia collusion talking points as Dem propaganda using the same rationale as saying that it's intellectually dishonest dismissing the CIA being behind Maidan as Russian propaganda?

No.

The Democrat talking points surrounding the "Russian influence" on the election are/were that they had an effect.

That is exactly my point.

On the other end of the two statements, the Russian talking points were that we were the driving force behind Maidan. We were not.

Ron said that any amount of involvement makes the rejection of those talking points as propaganda intellectually dishonest. I'm merely questioning if he holds that standard consistent with other events, such as 2016.

I don't want to clutter the thread but I'm curious to the reasoning there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:54:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

Stephen Kotkin is another good guy to listen to on why the arguments against helping Ukraine or that it is all the West's fault don't hold any water.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:58:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Thank you!
View All Quotes

Thank you!

Stephen Kotkin: Putin, Stalin, Hitler, Zelenskyy, and War in Ukraine | Lex Fridman Podcast #289

You are welcome! Here's just one. It's worth the 2+ hours.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:58:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

I'd love to have that job.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jungatheart:
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
In a Ukraine Workshop, the Quest to Build the Perfect Grenade
A Ukrainian unit is tinkering with tape, a scale, a 3-D printer and other items to turn a fragmentation grenade into a tank-killer. It’s a steep and risky challenge.

https://archive.fo/vyLmM

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2023/01/06/multimedia/06ukraine-grenade-3-2347/06ukraine-grenade-3-2347-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp

I'd love to have that job.

Spent all of middle school and highschool making my own fireworks.

It would be awesome

Already a prototyped a core for a DIY VOG 30 surrogate a few months ago, based on the Air Cannon darts we used to shoot. We'd stick .22 nailgun blanks in the tip and fire them at a wall in my backyard, pretty solid bang. Hand't thought about them for years and years until someone here mentioned Ukraine was running out of VOG's for their drones.

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:04:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By swede1986:

We have those as well.

Theoretically, you could connect a whole bunch of them to make a Bangalore Torpedo.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By swede1986:
Originally Posted By uxb:

For example, is it better to have a bigger grenade with more bang, or a smaller grenade that can be thrown further / more accurately, and more can be carried?

https://i.imgur.com/ppGQxHF.jpg

Get both

https://www.nammo.com/product/our-products/grenades-warheads-energetics/scalable-offensive-hand-grenade/

It's cool, but I was hoping for a single grenade with a dial a yield knob on it.

Closest is the very cool and nasty German DM51.

https://weaponsystems.net/system/689-DM51

The fragmentation jacket (a plastic body suspending 6,500 small BB's) is removable. This allows the grenade to be used either as wicked frag grenade, or by removing the frag jacket, as a close quarters concussion grenade.

https://photo.weaponsystems.net/image/s-carousel/n-iw_gren_dm51_p01.jpg/--/img/ws/iw_gren_dm51_p01.jpg

https://photo.weaponsystems.net/image/s-carousel/n-iw_gren_dm51_p03.jpg/--/img/ws/iw_gren_dm51_p03.jpg

https://photo.weaponsystems.net/image/s-carousel/n-iw_gren_dm51_p02.jpg/--/img/ws/iw_gren_dm51_p02.jpg

Unclear, but it may be possible to connect 2x HE cores to create 1x super powered concussion grenade / small demo charge.

We have those as well.

Theoretically, you could connect a whole bunch of them to make a Bangalore Torpedo.

Now thats a cool design.

How do they connect - do you remove the fuse, then screw them into the base of the fused core?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#14]

People seem to get stuck on "orchestrated," which I have never alleged.  What I have said multiple times is the Russians are paranoid and they saw the US involved in color revolutions throughout the world, with many of the subjected states' government falling.  So yes it was binary we were either involved, or we weren't.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Not to put too fine point on it, but basically it's a Roshak test for intellectual honesty, for months any talk of the US being involved was Russian propaganda.  Now, it's the US was involved but the degree was so small it's immaterial.  It's like arguing about the degree of pregnancy.  

I followed the events real time, the people got pissed when the EU deal was scrapped and a deal done with russia against the people's will. If the us orchestrated that, they are way better than I give them credit for.

People seem to get stuck on "orchestrated," which I have never alleged.  What I have said multiple times is the Russians are paranoid and they saw the US involved in color revolutions throughout the world, with many of the subjected states' government falling.  So yes it was binary we were either involved, or we weren't.
Depends what you define as "involved". There's a huge difference between an elected rep(s) from the US gov't publicly expressing support for maidan and the protestors, and the CIA/NSA/et al putting in work to topple a government. Trying to conflate the two as being the same is silly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:11:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By m00ler03:

View Quote

A bunch of convicts turned commandos switching uniforms to infiltrate the enemy camp...

Life imitates Art

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#16]

A bunch of convicts turned commandos switching uniforms to infiltrate the enemy camp...

Life imitates Art

https://i.ibb.co/Z6f9nPT/TELEMMGLPICT000001073272-trans-Nv-BQz-QNjv4-Bqtk-FNGf-LQhkp-VPe-Nfby9b-QSWNTEC5vewcv-J3s5-Nrr-A.webp

View All Quotes

Life imitates Art

https://i.ibb.co/Z6f9nPT/TELEMMGLPICT000001073272-trans-Nv-BQz-QNjv4-Bqtk-FNGf-LQhkp-VPe-Nfby9b-QSWNTEC5vewcv-J3s5-Nrr-A.webp

Overheard during training...
1. The thievery has just begun
2. Advance or we'll shoot you
3. It's time for a looting spree
4. Ivan is passed out on the floor
5. No one is coming out alive

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:08:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

I am trying to figure out the Orcs weird obsession with taking those mines.  

Only motive which remotely makes sense is the Russians somehow believe they can turn the mines into a HIMARS-proof supply depot.  Nothing else makes any sense.

View Quote

Could be as simple as dog chasing cars
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:35:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Veccio:
Depends what you define as "involved". There's a huge difference between an elected rep(s) from the US gov't publicly expressing support for maidan and the protestors, and the CIA/NSA/et al putting in work to topple a government. Trying to conflate the two as being the same is silly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Veccio:
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Not to put too fine point on it, but basically it's a Roshak test for intellectual honesty, for months any talk of the US being involved was Russian propaganda.  Now, it's the US was involved but the degree was so small it's immaterial.  It's like arguing about the degree of pregnancy.  

I followed the events real time, the people got pissed when the EU deal was scrapped and a deal done with russia against the people's will. If the us orchestrated that, they are way better than I give them credit for.

LoL, someone taking R0N seriously still, vs the fact it’s just an NPC.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:40:48 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

DPICM has entered the chat
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

I am trying to figure out the Orcs weird obsession with taking those mines.  

Only motive which remotely makes sense is the Russians somehow believe they can turn the mines into a HIMARS-proof supply depot.  Nothing else makes any sense.

View Quote

Have you not read any Tolkien?  Orcs love mines/caves.

I think the Russians are attempting an envelopment of Bakhmut.  They are just doing it at WWI speed, which will make it difficult to envelop modern forces.  As to the mines, Prigorzhin already controls several way more profitable mines in Africa via Wagner.  I could see where he might be interested in this one to pad his bottom line.  He's got a lot of expenses coming when Putin is gone and the musical chairs begins.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:37:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#22]
‘This is what madness looks like’: Russians unleash massive assaults on Soledar in eastern Ukraine
Moscow’s troops see the capture of Soledar as a way to envelop the strategic front-line town of Bakhmut.

https://www.politico.eu/article/madness-russia-ukraine-war-assault-soldier-soledar-bakhmut/
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#23]

No.

The Democrat talking points surrounding the “Russian influence” on the election are/were that they had an effect.

View All Quotes

Most certainly the Russians attempted to influence it

So then, would you say that it's intellectually dishonest to dismiss the Russia collusion talking points as Dem propaganda using the same rationale as saying that it's intellectually dishonest dismissing the CIA being behind Maidan as Russian propaganda?

No.

The Democrat talking points surrounding the “Russian influence” on the election are/were that they had an effect.

Interestingly if you go a Google search for both terms, “Russians interfere with” and “Russiams effect the”  the election even in most of the hits for “effect the election” the actually term used was  “interfere with”
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:42:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:50:05 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Interestingly the failure of the Snow Revolution can be linked to the Russian Gov crack down on the Open Society foundation and other Soros philanthropic organizations followings its outbreak.  Wasn't there a lot OSF/Soros connections to both the election of left-wing prosecutors which was instrumental in setting the conditions for the 2020 “summer of peace” here in the US?  One could argue, the summer of 2020 was the United States’color revolution.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 5:59:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#26]

Interestingly if you go a Google search for both terms, "Russians interfere with" and "Russians effect the"  the election even in most of the hits for "effect the election" the actually term used was  "interfere with"
View Quote

If you want to go off on tangents again....yes, interfere sounds appropriate.

Ex: "the Russians had no effect on the election when they interfered with it, and our system was not affected"

"Generally, we use affect as a verb (an action word) and effect as a noun (an object word)."

Thanks for your valued input on the actual war and not displaying your continued distaste in it. This thread wouldn't be the same without you.

Attachment Attached File

"Turning off Emotions" We have a war and many brave heroes working everyday to end it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

Ex: "the Russians had no effect on the election when they interfered with it, and our system was not affected"

"Generally, we use affect as a verb (an action word) and effect as a noun (an object word)."

Thanks for your valued input on the actual war and not displaying your continued distaste in it. This thread wouldn't be the same without you.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20230111_115829_jpg-2668257.JPG

"Turning off Emotions" We have a war and many brave heroes working everyday to end it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20230111_121039_jpg-2668259.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20230111_121057_jpg-2668260.JPG
View Quote

What you are quoting is revealing in itself.  Ukraine depends heavily on the support of English-speaking countries to defend itself.  And there was circa January 2022, no shortage of Ukrainian girls who could speak English way better than that, not to mention native English speaking expats.  And yet the Ministry of Defence is using shitty translation software to translate propaganda to one of it's key supporters.  That seems an odd choice to me given the talent pool available.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

What you are quoting is revealing in itself.  Ukraine depends heavily on the support of English-speaking countries to defend itself.  And there was circa January 2022, no shortage of Ukrainian girls who could speak English way better than that, not to mention native English speaking expats.  And yet the Ministry of Defence is using shitty translation software to translate propaganda to one of it's key supporters.  That seems an odd choice to me given the talent pool available.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20230111_115829_jpg-2668257.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20230111_121039_jpg-2668259.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20230111_121057_jpg-2668260.JPG

I am taking screenshots and auto-translating from Instagram posts aimed at the Ukrainian people. Unfortunately some things just do not translate well. It takes a little time to do a proper translation. We have the benefit of being native speakers. We can pick apart errors at ease, just as people pick apart my Ukrainian and Russian abilities here.

Perhaps this is just a keyboard jockey that gives us daily news updates, and not the head of the MOD posting on Instagram.

Someone took a little more time and made the format for the daily totals that get posted daily, in Ukrainian and English. Unfortunately it says "aircrafts", and not "aircraft".
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#29]

I am taking screenshots and auto-translating from Instagram posts aimed at the Ukrainian people. Unfortunately some things just do not translate well. It takes a little time to do a proper translation. We have the benefit of being native speakers. We can pick apart errors at ease, just as people pick apart my Ukrainian and Russian abilities here.

Perhaps this is just a keyboard jockey that gives us daily news updates, and not the head of the MOD posting on Instagram.

Someone took a little more time and made the format for the daily totals that get posted daily, in Ukrainian and English. Unfortunately it says "aircrafts", and not "aircraft".
View Quote

Just to clarify, that's Instagram's auto-translate at work?  That's a whole 14th front in the next information warfare problem, how will algorithms translate my text across different audiences?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Most Russian naval assets in the Med, three in Black and Azov Seas.

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Interestingly the failure of the Snow Revolution can be linked to the Russian Gov crack down on the Open Society foundation and other Soros philanthropic organizations followings its outbreak.  Wasn't there a lot OSF/Soros connections to both the election of left-wing prosecutors which was instrumental in setting the conditions for the 2020 “summer of peace” here in the US?  One could argue, the summer of 2020 was the United States’color revolution.
View Quote

And Russia aided agitators during that, too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:27:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#32]

This is why I'm always a little skeptical of these numbers. We have by all accounts an absurd turbocharged meatgrinder going on, yet the casualty total bobs along at 490 within the normal range of the past few months.

edit: to be clear, my skepticism is focused on the human losses. The vehicle losses seem like they would be easier for Ukraine to tabulate, and seem to correlate fairly well with Oryx's confirmed totals.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:33:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#33]
Morning “proof of life” walk in Soledar
https://www.tiktok.com/@user24983045902123/video/7187321391845264646

Russian sources:
WarGonzo

⚡️Frontline report for the morning of 01/11/2023⚡️

In the Kherson direction, Russian rocket and cannon artillery hit the regional center, the Chernobaevka airfield and Antonovka. In turn, the Armed Forces of Ukraine launched a missile attack on Skadovsk in the deep rear of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.

On the Donetsk front, Russian troops again rushed to victory. Fierce fighting in the city of Marinka. The Armed Forces are on the defensive. The next attacks of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation on Nevelskoye and Pervomayskoye. In the second case, the price of success is control over a section of the M-04 highway and an important local road that goes to Vodyany. To this end, the Russian army is also attacking this settlement. She also tried to move in the Experienced area.

On the Bakhmut sector, the Ukrainian army is conducting heavy defensive battles near Kleshcheevka. PMC "Wagner" attacks its positions from the south and east. The road to Bakhmut also passes through this settlement. PMC "Wagner" is also trying to advance on the eastern outskirts of the city itself. And from the north it rushes to Yagodny. There is already a rocade Bakhmut-Soledar. The "orchestras" also advanced in the area of Krasnaya Gora. Thus, PMC "Wagner" is advancing on Soledar from the south, east, and north. Fights in the city limits.Ukrainian garrison in a semicircle. The Armed Forces of Ukraine are retreating from Soledar, but they are not fleeing. To the north-east of the city, Russian troops are attacking in the area of Donetsk Belogorivka.

In the Luhansk direction, the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation tried to advance in the direction of the local Belogorovka. A little to the north, they attacked in the Dibrov area.This is on the border of the forest near Kremennaya. Also, Russian troops conducted offensive operations near Krasnopopovka.

See daily reports from @wargonzo 's analytical department

https://t.me/wargonzo/10276

Soledar - cleansing. Judging by the updated information, a little more than 500 people were surrounded in Soledar in the morning (but also less than 1000). More than 100 people have already surrendered, but several large encircled groups continue to resist.
https://t.me/yurasumy/6921

On a positive note, Russian news only claims 80 UA casualties. Also, directly contradicts Prigozhin’s Soledar operations are 100% Wagner”.

https://ria.ru/20230111/soledar-1844102729.html

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Just to clarify, that's Instagram's auto-translate at work?  That's a whole 14th front in the next information warfare problem, how will algorithms translate my text across different audiences?
View Quote

Yes it is. Translation can become a mess if you aren't careful in how you say something. Lots of words do not make sense between our languages on both sides.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

This is why I'm always a little skeptical of these numbers. We have by all accounts an absurd turbocharged meatgrinder going on, yet the casualty total bobs along at 490 within the normal range of the past few months.

edit: to be clear, my skepticism is focused on the human losses. The vehicle losses seem like they would be easier for Ukraine to tabulate, and seem to correlate fairly well with Oryx's confirmed totals.
View Quote

Average is at 350.8/day now. They are still on an upward slope. I assume there are assumptions made. It's not like they get to dig through rubble in many situations and take an accurate count.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Average is at 350.8/day now. They are still on an upward slope. I assume there are assumptions made. It's not like they get to dig through rubble in many situations and take an accurate count.
View All Quotes

I’d argue it’s completely impossible for more than a SWAG in the heavy combat areas. Right now it’s probably difficult for Ukraine to know their own losses in some cases. It’s the nature of things.

It’s very possible Russia doesn’t even know what they sent to lose.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Decent thermal scope video here-

https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2023/01/11/7384385/

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

That's the total over the entire front, not just Bakmut. Keep in mind that during WWII total Soviet losses, military and civilian, averaged out to something like 6,700 per day.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:57:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#40]
“No change overnight”

Summary of assessments posted to UA TG, at least one of which is from yesterday.
The situation near Bakhmut and Soledar

▪️British Intelligence: RF Armed Forces have probably taken control of most of Soledar. Fights are also taking place at the entrance to the salt mines. Both sides are concerned that the tunnels under the mines could be used to stealthily sneak behind enemy lines. At the same time, it is not a fact that the encirclement of Bakhmut is inevitable: the Armed Forces of Ukraine hold defensive positions in depth and control supply routes.

▪️Butusov: Soledar is in a threatening situation. The RF Armed Forces have reached a position from which they can fire on the main supply route of Soledar. The Russians cannot enter the track itself. This is not a complete encirclement, but normal supply along the route is impossible, this is critical for defense. But there are opportunities to improve the situation. In Soledar -18°C. At this temperature, combat effectiveness depends on proper supplies.

▪️Prigozhin: "Today, information appeared on Telegram channels that SBU officers were deployed to the group near Bakhmut, whose task is to stop desertion in the ranks of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Let's be honest with each other. This is not so. The Ukrainian army is fighting bravely for Bakhmut and Soledar. Heavy bloody battles are taking place on the western outskirts of Soledar. The Armed Forces of Ukraine are honorably defending the territory of Soledar."

▪️Miroshnikov: the situation near Soledar is again close to critical and has not improved.

https://t.me/mertviorku/2117

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

Not a carrier, a destroyer/cruiser or something and it was named after his grandfather and father who were both admirals.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:

Fun infographic.

Makes me sick to learn that we named a carrier after McCain though.

Not a carrier, a destroyer/cruiser or something and it was named after his grandfather and father who were both admirals.

Oh, neat.  Had no idea "our" generation's McCain was a Jr.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By darkd0r:
Rorschach test?
View Quote

I just assumed.the incorrect spelling was deliberate.

Could be wrong, though.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Life imitates Art

1. The thievery has just begun
2. Advance or we'll shoot you
3. It's time for a looting spree
4. Ivan is passed out on the floor
5. No one is coming out alive

10/10
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:28:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: apr67] [#45]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

That would be nice if we could be assured that such influence would only be used for good, but my cursory review of the historical record seems to indicate that usually either 1) you get agencies who don't know wtf they are doing and back the wrong horse (e.g., Diem in South Vietnam, several other times in AFG and Pakistan), or 2) you get agencies or people within those agencies who get cut-in on whatever the biggest economic game grift in town is, and they start to confuse their personal interests with "America's interests".

View Quote

Sadly we go to bed with anyone because they didn't go to bed with our enemy (and sometimes those that have gone to bed with our enemy).  The enemy or our enemy can also be our enemy.  It seemed for a short time during the GWOT we got that, when we somewhat coordinated with Syria and Russia on striking Al Queada in Syria.  

However none of that means anything with regard to Ukraine.  With zero boots on the ground we can do more to help democracy that we could ever achieve in Afghanistan and Iraq.  Go forth and turn the fields red with the lives of the intruders Ukraine.  Here's some ammo, they are over there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#46]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a7CDKqWcZ0

View All Quotes

Thank you!

IDK Kotkin, but it would be best not to associate him with a lying grifter like Lex Fridman. Tanks his credibility.  If he associates himself with Fridman still, that’s not good.

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

IDK Kotkin, but it would be best not to associate him with a lying grifter like Lex Fridman. Tanks his credibility.  If he associates himself with Fridman still, that’s not good.

View All Quotes

Thank you!

What is Fridman’s grift?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:08:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#49]
Originally Posted By fike:

What is Fridman’s grift?
View Quote

His entire resume.  When you lie about that, everything else is suspect.  

He may occasionally have good thoughts, but when you start out building your platform by lying, it makes it all highly suspect.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#50]

He may occasionally have good thoughts, but when you start out building your platform by lying, it makes it all highly suspect.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fike:

What is Fridman’s grift?

Rather than disrupting this thread any further, can you IM me something that shows his resume lies? I’m not a fanboy, but this is the first time I have heard anyone mention it.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3299 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top