Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3400 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:20:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trapsh00ter99] [#1]
As the page turns to 3400.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:22:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#2]
Two versions of this. Paint scheme suggests the first one is more likely.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Weapons to Kyiv: Why German Chancellor Olaf Scholz draws the line at fighter jets | DW News
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
As the page turns to 3400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_He26D7UM0w
View Quote
You may want to warn members that's your wife.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
For page 3400, let's try this new avatar on for size...
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Easterner:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Triggered-143.gif

First time changing it, ever.

ETA: Even me seeing it is weird.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
You may want to warn members that's your wife.
View Quote
Good thinking!!

It should be noted it is a edit free page ownage first
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
I like it! That'll get some reeeeeee.

Worth it!!!

Ive been thinking of doing a signmyrocket or whatever it is for a new avatar. Been trying to think of right phrase to put on it tho.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#11]
Non-Mobik/felon Wagner.
Grumpy cat patch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:48:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#12]

Worth it!!!

Ive been thinking of doing a signmyrocket or whatever it is for a new avatar. Been trying to think of right phrase to put on it tho.
View All Quotes

Worth it!!!

You could always go with the classic "FUAROCK" and add a "and Putin too!"

ETA: Or "Putin Is Evil Commie Filth" in honor of said thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Nice.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Good summary of the M777 artillery since its use in Ukraine.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:

View Quote

Do you mean to tell me there was another smoking accident from a window on the 30th floor???
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FngTC6MXEAQpp50?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

What's the "innovation" in the first tweet?  The use of camo netting?  That's how we supported ROTC summer camp shoots, but I sure as shit wouldn't want to stay too long in a fixed emplacement where the risk of counterbattery is high.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

Do you mean to tell me there was another smoking accident from a window on the 30th floor???
View Quote

Died suddenly means something rather different there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#19]
Originally Posted By Squatch:

What's the "innovation" in the first tweet?  The use of camo netting?  That's how we supported ROTC summer camp shoots, but I sure as shit wouldn't want to stay too long in a fixed emplacement where the risk of counterbattery is high.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Squatch:

It's a set of 16 tweets to read through, but he is saying the US already had the procedures for such things.  The Russian Lancet kamikaze drones are stopped by metal mesh netting though and US procedures should consider it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Capta:
As the page turns, so turns Claire Gerhardstein:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZEjvFcLpgU
View Quote

I don't know about turnings, but there are certainly things stirring.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#21]

We can run 'em Block 30/32 or 50 out of the boneyard all day.

Send 'em Block 80+? OK, now we talkin'
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
That last guy took a round in the back
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Seems like you could come up with a motorized chassis which could mount a normally towed howitzer. It could be a drone, several cannon operated by a command vehicle. Of course said chassis could also mount SAMs and AA guns, mortars, etc.

Would be a discount way to turn a towed howitzer into a diet SPG.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Raytheon helping destroy a Ukrainian Tu-22M3 in 2002.
(According to pro-UA TG)
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Last image from a Switchblade drone going into a Russian trench.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
The Russians are having filters for their optics and cameras that can detect active IR sources like the illuminators from cheap NVDs.

Using any device with an active IR isn't smart IMO.  
View All Quotes
The Russians are having filters for their optics and cameras that can detect active IR sources like the illuminators from cheap NVDs.

It certainly sounds like a bad idea. Might as well just use a flashlight

Originally Posted By Zam18th:
Originally Posted By Veccio:
I would guess it's probably simpler than that. Theft and robbery has been around for a long time, I'm sure good gear will get swiped super quick if even basic things like plates are getting snatched left and right.
IIRC he said it was giving their positions away and getting people killed. If anyone got caught with NV on the front they were dealt with harshly. Maybe it was a localized thing or he was FOS, IDK.

You have to be careful even with good passive night vision, because the output light can give away your positions if you aren't careful.

I spent decades training with night vision systems and learning how the guys are supposed to use them correctly at night.  There's a lot of little things to keep in mind to stay safe on a two way shooting range.  You can never have enough training with these systems, and learning how to put them on in complete darkness and operate the controls by hand by memory is a big plus.

This video gave a very basic introductory course to show you how proper light discipline was important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZvFEwD8vjA
That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't really considered that. Especially when you consider the legion where you have no idea what kind of training (if any) each guy has had. Only takes one guy to make it a bad day.

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling that video will send me down a rabbit hole
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Raytheon helping destroy a Ukrainian Tu-22M3 in 2002.
(According to pro-UA TG)
View Quote

While you're at it: https://2009-2017.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2011/04/160711.htm
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:

Makarov migraine?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Nah, I’m good with finally winning the same war we have been fighting continuously since 1945:  the Cold War.  Let’s finish Russia off and do the world a favor.  After that, we:

- pivot to Asia.

China is our enemy, not our “trading partner.”

Esterhase: turn off the Tucker Carlson.  He is a Kremlin mouthpiece and a traitor to the USA.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Originally Posted By Esterhase:
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

Totally also they send the kids mostly to Khadyrovite school. Let that sink in. Brainwashing might be too far gone. Psychiatric help isn’t really a thing there. It’s a crime against humanity. How many of the little “hohol”  boys and girl reach puberty intact? Rape being a key component of soviet manipulation. Think about that. If that doesn’t boil your blood. We haven’t even designated them a state sponsor of terrorism. Combine the worst events of soviet subversion and takfiri ideology. At least isis married you first. Here you get forced to be a Nazi and a Muslim cannon fodder. Aaaaahhhh.

It's very revealing that the second anybody questions the absolute fucking insanity of the West's conduct in this war; the rhetoric immediately ramps up. The amount of total bullshit in this thread has - impossibly - managed to get even worse.

It's always the same. It's a moral war, blah blah blah, think of the children.

It's a stupid fucking war being sold to you by the same mob that got Biden in, managed the covid 'crisis', and wants you to drive an electric car by 2030. Or else.

Nah, I’m good with finally winning the same war we have been fighting continuously since 1945:  the Cold War.  Let’s finish Russia off and do the world a favor.  After that, we:

- pivot to Asia.

China is our enemy, not our “trading partner.”

Esterhase: turn off the Tucker Carlson.  He is a Kremlin mouthpiece and a traitor to the USA.

Amen
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Ukraine crack down on corruption as US sanction Russian supporting Wagner group – BBC News
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#31]

I think that the other part of the equation with the MBT's is that they are coming in aid packages that also contain over 100 Self propelled 155mm artillery to go with them.   With blurbs of longer range artillery being mentioned, I can't help but think that the Himars will be fitted with the longer range GLSDB or ATACMS to ruin Russian supply 150 to 300km deep while these Western tanks make local breakthroughs to be exploited by more common Ukrainian tanks behind them.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

we have spent a lot of time discussing artillery, ADA, aviation, logistics, armor etc

but for sure one of the two biggest deficiencies -- in terms of capabilities -- is communications.  the ability to communicate up / down, left / right, front to rear on the battlefield with redundancy.  integrated.  encrypted.  long range at the speed of battle.  organized nets / comsec, etc.   you just have to know its currently very ad hoc which makes 'organized warfare' extremely limited.  every US military operation has company commo plan.  a battalion plan.  a brigade plan, etc.  command nets, logistics nets, fire support nets, etc.  

the other lacking capability -- which i don't ever see being resolved is night vision down to the soldier level.  US maneuver warfare is predicated on practically every single soldier having night vision to perform sustained combat ops in the dark.   that takes gear AND training.   fighting maneuver warfare in the daylight is basically an amateur hour proposition in terms of proficiency.

the ukrainians do not lack for heart, courage, or motivation.  but they are lacking some key ingredients.  because of that i sadly feel the stalemate situation may not improve much in the short term -- and casualties will remain high.

I think the MBTs are going to belly flop in Ukraine. I want to be wrong. I'll gladly eat crow. But I don't think I've seen anywhere near the competency level required to operate and sustain MBTs by the Ukrainians.

People arent taking seriously what a marvel Western armored warfare is and the things needed to make it happen.
People will poo poo on you for saying that but I think you have a legitimate point. Western MBTs aren't going to be some 'wunderwaffe' that wins the war.

How good/effective these weapons (all the ones we have sent or will send in future) are in an offensive role really depends on how trained and proficient their troops and unit staffs are in c2 and combined arms maneuver and fires. Western weapons, tactics, and supply lines aren't really designed for attrition warfare. At the bare minimum they have to be good at supporting arms and c2 good enough to get all forces in sector on the same page.

Has Ukraine hit that stage, especially with a huge mix of new to them MBTs and IFVs that are unlike the T-whatevers and BTRs they were running before? At the tactical level maybe but at the operational level I'm not so sure. I have no doubt they have tons of motivation, courage, and intelligence but it takes multiple years of training by everyone and the right equipment to do it right. Hopefully they pull it off

I think that the other part of the equation with the MBT's is that they are coming in aid packages that also contain over 100 Self propelled 155mm artillery to go with them.   With blurbs of longer range artillery being mentioned, I can't help but think that the Himars will be fitted with the longer range GLSDB or ATACMS to ruin Russian supply 150 to 300km deep while these Western tanks make local breakthroughs to be exploited by more common Ukrainian tanks behind them.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. These may not be huge numbers but the new tank battalions should have all the nato style elements attached needed to break the lines and de-mine for the rest of the forces to flow through and exploit. Tip of the spear.
I don't think you'd want to just stick them on the lines with the rest of the forces because it would neutralize a lot of the training and tech advantage and submit them to the attrition style warfare. Though it would be interesting to see some of them hunting T-90M's.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#32]

This was posted in early December: How the algorithm tipped the balance in Ukraine

Suffice to say, it is one area they are definitely working on.
View Quote

I'm happy to cheerlead Ukraine as much as anybody else. But I do think "we" sometimes forget that Ukraine is not a nation of professional soldiers. The videos from the start of the war showed that.  People in this forum have spelled out how long and how much training it takes to wage war like a professional fighting force. Farmers, shop owners, tradesmen, etc etc etc put into battle very quickly because there was no other choice. Plenty of guts, but the training takes time.
And even though russia is filled with all kinds of kooky problems, they are ruthless and they plan on winning. They are fine with using their own people as bait so their drones can correct artillery onto Ukrainian positions. They are fine with using their citizens repeatedly for probing attacks in order to wear down the Ukrainian forces. They will learn and adapt and get their shit together more as time goes on, and they will be more effective as their survivors are experienced in battle against Ukraine forces. Russia is dangerous and they should not be underestimated.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
They need more air burst shells. They totally wreak infantry.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes

I've noticed much more being used.  That video had 3 or 4 rounds go off directly above that trench line.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Seems like a pathetic life existence if all you do is watch for posting at the top of pages.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Originally Posted By Capta:
As the page turns, so turns Claire Gerhardstein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZEjvFcLpgU
Seems like a pathetic life existence if all you do is watch for posting at the top of pages.

Relax, man.  Maybe this will improve your outlook on life:

Claire Gerhardstein in 4K (71)
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#38]
A tough post to follow, but here’s a good one:

New debate on Russian state TV: Which new economic model to follow - Cuba, North Korea, or Iran?  Seriously:

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#39]

I've noticed much more being used.  That video had 3 or 4 rounds go off directly above that trench line.
View All Quotes

They seem to be very effective at killing soldiers in trenches.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Auto5guy:

Damn.  The F-16 is one sleek beautiful aircraft.

For a fourth generation pure dog fighter does the F-16 take a back seat to anything?  I would love to see it swat everything russia currently has from the sky and after the smoke clears park F35's in Ukraine just to say don't even think about doing this again.
View Quote

Russian su27/30/35s will give it trouble, but it beats the hell out of old mig 29s. A lot depends on what block they send and how many of our classified goodies make it aboard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DonKey153:
Russian su27/30/35s will give it trouble, but it beats the hell out of old mig 29s. A lot depends on what block they send and how many of our classified goodies make it aboard.
View Quote

And the sunglasses-wearing erection behind the stick. It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, it's about the size of the fight in the dog.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#43]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18LKmBKn5qU
View Quote
Why should I believe anything about piloting fighter jets from college professor who's not an SME on fighting in fighter jets?

Far from it as she has no military service, let alone being a military pilot.  Her only experience comes from being in the higher levels of educational institutions.

What's almost as bad as someone from the government saying she's here to help?  Someone from ivy league schools.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

That is a relatively small number of loses than what I would have expected.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gentlemanfarmer] [#45]

That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't really considered that. Especially when you consider the legion where you have no idea what kind of training (if any) each guy has had. Only takes one guy to make it a bad day.

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling that video will send me down a rabbit hole
View All Quotes

I would guess it's probably simpler than that. Theft and robbery has been around for a long time, I'm sure good gear will get swiped super quick if even basic things like plates are getting snatched left and right.
IIRC he said it was giving their positions away and getting people killed. If anyone got caught with NV on the front they were dealt with harshly. Maybe it was a localized thing or he was FOS, IDK.

You have to be careful even with good passive night vision, because the output light can give away your positions if you aren't careful.

I spent decades training with night vision systems and learning how the guys are supposed to use them correctly at night.  There's a lot of little things to keep in mind to stay safe on a two way shooting range.  You can never have enough training with these systems, and learning how to put them on in complete darkness and operate the controls by hand by memory is a big plus.

This video gave a very basic introductory course to show you how proper light discipline was important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZvFEwD8vjA

I barely got to use my pvs at all near the front from fear of this. Felt like it was waisted money sort of. Did the night training etc but a lot of guys got killed, Russians especially, many of them trained but the eye ring is a giveaway especially on certain vehicles with good night vision and high magnification.  For a driver and such is another matter. Very useful to use while driving blacked out. Yeah I know don’t turn your head towards enemy at angle but shit where is the enemy. In a lot of areas you have no idea, this house that house that patch of bushes? Stuff blows up you flinch hit dirt run.

We lost one friend to this as a drone or large he projectile hit his vehicle while driving at night. I don’t know if he was using IR flashlights or anything but I don’t think so because we bought his googles (not in USA). He had that and a krikov plate carrier and old flashlight for tires etc. I’m not sure if nvgs played a role or not but it happened soon after we gave them to him. I thought being a driver, the reward was worth the risk. Might not have had anything to do with it but I feel like it did from how quickly it happened. Like third trip to front with supplies after getting them. He went every day.  

They have a place for sure and I’d never say they don’t but mainly in areas like 2, -1, -2 I would say. Thermals are another good with fewer downsides but have issues as well. If in the back of a room not moving looking out great.

One lesson learned by some the hard way. I was lucky in that I was with guys that knew this. I could have got my brain pateed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Jack67:
A tough post to follow, but here's a good one:

New debate on Russian state TV: Which new economic model to follow - Cuba, North Korea, or Iran?  Seriously:

View Quote

That's not a list you want your economy being compared to. Lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Hopefully more than UA propaganda and cheerleading.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

I barely got to use my pvs at all near the front from fear of this. Felt like it was waisted money sort of. Did the night training etc but a lot of guys got killed, Russians especially, many of them trained but the eye ring is a giveaway especially on certain vehicles with good night vision and high magnification.  For a driver and such is another matter. Very useful to use while driving blacked out. Yeah I know don't turn your head towards enemy at angle but shit where is the enemy. In a lot of areas you have no idea, this house that house that patch of bushes? Stuff blows up you flinch hit dirt run.

We lost one friend to this as a drone or large he projectile hit his vehicle while driving at night. I don't know if he was using IR flashlights or anything but I don't think so because we bought his googles (not in USA). He had that and a krikov plate carrier and old flashlight for tires etc. I'm not sure if nvgs played a role or not but it happened soon after we gave them to him. I thought being a driver, the reward was worth the risk. Might not have had anything to do with it but I feel like it did from how quickly it happened. Like third trip to front with supplies after getting them. He went every day.  

They have a place for sure and I'd never say they don't but mainly in areas like 2, -1, -2 I would say. Thermals are another good with fewer downsides but have issues as well. If in the back of a room not moving looking out great.

One lesson learned by some the hard way. I was lucky in that I was with guys that knew this. I could have got my brain pateed.
View Quote
Eye cups?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:36:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#49]
Originally Posted By kncook:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kncook:

The videos posted earlier  geolocated to the area and the Russian report of heavy losses in same are all seeming to coincide  today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Worth it!!!

"Tucker Carlson sucks Putin's little dick".
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3400 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top