Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3441 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dracster:
"This is how the Leopard 1A5 tanks stored in the hangars of the German company FFG Flensburger look like.

Despite the fact that the machines undoubtedly need repair, they are properly preserved, sheltered from the direct influence of weather conditions and are in an externally acceptable condition.

The Leopard 1A5 is a modernization of the early Leopard 1, the key difference from which is the presence of the EMES 18 anti-tank system with a laser rangefinder and thermal imager, similar to the early Leopard 2, as well as the ability to install additional armor plates that slightly increase the tank's armor protection."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2023-02-03_08-53-30_jpg-2696104.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2023-02-03_08-53-31_jpg-2696107.JPG
View Quote
Can a Leo 1 kill a T-72?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:29:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amanbearpig] [#4]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Neat, and very close up footage of a Ukrainian drone going after a Russian tank actively firing on Ukrainian positions.

View Quote

I mean, maybe it's just "trolling Russians" but not sure why there's a giant "1488" watermark on that lol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

My take as well.

Russian Army / Wagner are getting less retarded, and Putin is doubling down on his commitment to the war.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bunn19:
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I think end of February, 1st part of March is going to redefine what "bad" means.  I hope more of those tanks, fighting vehicles, ammunition, etc. gets to Ukraine than they have been talking about.  They are going to need them.

Yeah, I get the feeling that the next 6 months are going to be extremely bloody.  I hope the West accelerates the delivery of aid.  Ukraine is going to need it.

My take as well.

Russian Army / Wagner are getting less retarded, and Putin is doubling down on his commitment to the war.

My 2 biggest fears at the moment are:

- Russians becoming less incompetent/ adapting and fighting harder, plus

- sanctions failing and becoming less and less effective as the Russians develop work-arounds.

We have debated the “frog boil” approach often here.  But I believe it may be time to significantly turn up the heat, if we are serious about winning this war.

ATACMS would be a good start. Agreeing to supply more Abrams, and eventually F-16s, would be better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

Did it get shelled on the way out of Ukraine or is it supposed to be broken?

ETA- and are you getting ready to eat it?
View Quote

“Let’s get this onto a tray…nice!”
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

Did it get shelled on the way out of Ukraine or is it supposed to be broken?

ETA- and are you getting ready to eat it?
View Quote

I totally thought it was a cookie at first too
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:58:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grambosc] [#10]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

- sanctions failing and becoming less and less effective as the Russians develop work-arounds.

We have debated the “frog boil” approach often here.  But I believe it may be time to significantly turn up the heat, if we are serious about winning this war.

ATACMS would be a good start. Agreeing to supply more Abrams, and eventually F-16s, would be better.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bunn19:
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I think end of February, 1st part of March is going to redefine what "bad" means.  I hope more of those tanks, fighting vehicles, ammunition, etc. gets to Ukraine than they have been talking about.  They are going to need them.

Yeah, I get the feeling that the next 6 months are going to be extremely bloody.  I hope the West accelerates the delivery of aid.  Ukraine is going to need it.

My take as well.

Let anyone willing to send their current F-16s to them immediately jump to the front of the line for the new Block 70s we're building here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Videos like this give me hope that Russia doesn’t have an endless supply of suicidal lemmings to throw at the Ukranian defenses.

They certainly don’t have infinite munitions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]
There were 11 now there were 10.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Can someone thoroughly familiar with the Leopard 1A5 provide a breakdown of the tanks strengths and weaknesses compared to other western and Soviet tanks? It seems to have terribly thin armor which can easily be penetrated by any tank Russia is using from the T-62 on up. In terms of armor, it seems more like a tank destroyer than an actual tank, as there are APCs and IFVs out there that offer equal or better protection. And obviously with a 105mm gun, it lacks the hitting power of more modern western tanks armed with the 120mm main gun. But it carries 60 rounds, so it does have a lot of ammo on board. And being so lightly armored while possessing a strong engine, it is at least highly mobile. And as best as I can tell, it has decent sensors for a tank from its time period, to include thermals (though I am not sure how good).

Based on my limited knowledge of the Leopard 1A5, it would be best used (as others here have stated) in the marshes up north near the Belarus border where its lighter weight will allow it to go where heavy tanks simply cannot. It would also appear to be a good candidate to accompany wheeled 8x8 type IFVs into battle, since its higher speed will allow it to better keep up with the infantry. If more heavily armored tanks and infantry can punch a hole in the Russian lines, it would seem a follow-on force with Leopard 1A5 tanks and BTR-4/Stryker/LAV could be used to exploit that breakthrough and quickly drive deep into Russian held territory, overrunning and destroying Russian logistics and artillery units in the rear and creating havoc. Would this be a good way to utilize this tank's strengths and minimize its weaknesses?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

He needed to settle down, and start popping them one by one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

That's all good and possibly correct, but what does that have to do with Ukraine 15 years ago making there OWN decisions and making there OWN preparations for safe guarding there OWN border? I guess I don't see the blame on America's part of this shit show as others here are seeing.
View Quote

15 years ago, they were lead by a Russian puppet government. They've had two or three elections since then to get rid of the Russian stooges. They still have a long way to go to clean up their corruption, but they are trying, unlike us.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#20]
This is a Russian source that's been carefully tracking killed and injured on both sides of the conflict.  Thread in tweet.

TLDR:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fn_41LlX0AAsYHE?format=jpg&name=large

View Quote

Very interesting. I would bet that their numbers on the RU side are probably more accurate than their UA numbers, since they probably have good/better sources in Russia.

What a stupid and tragic loss of life all around!
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Very interesting. I would bet that their numbers on the RU side are probably more accurate than their UA numbers, since they probably have good/better sources in Russia.

View Quote

What's interesting is that the this number is within 7k of the number Easterner posts every morning.  Easterner's number is actually on the low side.  129k vs 136k.  Perhaps the UKR reporting is a little bit conservative.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By sq40:
What’s this… a package from Karhkiv?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/EAE6CE72-7298-439D-AA4C-9BB7213EA5B3_jpe-2695969.JPG

And what’s inside..

The Emperor of Mankind!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49447/71B86E18-F076-4DA7-B330-B06CC3C692B9_jpe-2695970.JPG

If you are a war game nerd into 40k or LOTR like me…  get something cool from Ukraine’s Black Legion Market.
https://blacklegionmarket.co/
View Quote

Ordering some von Carsteins and wight kings.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Alex9661:
Pantsir on the roof of the Ministry of Defense in Moscow. Green against the background of roofing material, asphalt and snow is an interesting choice of camo netting.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234577/net_JPG-2696045.JPG
View Quote

Only a matter of time

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

What's interesting is that the this number is within 7k of the number Easterner posts every morning.  Easterner's number is actually on the low side.  129k vs 136k.  Perhaps the UKR reporting is a little bit conservative.
View All Quotes

Plus, the statistics from that Russian source might not be counting mercenary forces like Wagner or the Kadrovites.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Russians will eventually learn from many of their mistakes.  It is taking longer than expected.

Sanctions will always have work arounds and back doors, possibly new business opportunities  (oil transport, new onlyfans-Russia platform??).

I agree it is time to turn up the heat.  The animated map a few pages back hasn't really shown any significant changes in held terrotory since the war started.
Maybe I'm just impatient, but it needs to end, especially with Russia targeting civilians.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Can someone thoroughly familiar with the Leopard 1A5 provide a breakdown of the tanks strengths and weaknesses compared to other western and Soviet tanks? It seems to have terribly thin armor which can easily be penetrated by any tank Russia is using from the T-62 on up. In terms of armor, it seems more like a tank destroyer than an actual tank, as there are APCs and IFVs out there that offer equal or better protection. And obviously with a 105mm gun, it lacks the hitting power of more modern western tanks armed with the 120mm main gun. But it carries 60 rounds, so it does have a lot of ammo on board. And being so lightly armored while possessing a strong engine, it is at least highly mobile. And as best as I can tell, it has decent sensors for a tank from its time period, to include thermals (though I am not sure how good).

Based on my limited knowledge of the Leopard 1A5, it would be best used (as others here have stated) in the marshes up north near the Belarus border where its lighter weight will allow it to go where heavy tanks simply cannot. It would also appear to be a good candidate to accompany wheeled 8x8 type IFVs into battle, since its higher speed will allow it to better keep up with the infantry. If more heavily armored tanks and infantry can punch a hole in the Russian lines, it would seem a follow-on force with Leopard 1A5 tanks and BTR-4/Stryker/LAV could be used to exploit that breakthrough and quickly drive deep into Russian held territory, overrunning and destroying Russian logistics and artillery units in the rear and creating havoc. Would this be a good way to utilize this tank's strengths and minimize its weaknesses?
View Quote

It's more mobile that heavier Western MBTs, and its thermals will give it an advantage against the Russians, but like you said both the armour and gun are sub-par.

It would probably be best to use it to cover the Belarussian axis, and possibly in the "pour-through phase" behind a breakthrough. It's perfectly adequate for mopping up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
Can a Leo 1 kill a T-72?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ludder093:
"This is how the Leopard 1A5 tanks stored in the hangars of the German company FFG Flensburger look like.

Despite the fact that the machines undoubtedly need repair, they are properly preserved, sheltered from the direct influence of weather conditions and are in an externally acceptable condition.

The Leopard 1A5 is a modernization of the early Leopard 1, the key difference from which is the presence of the EMES 18 anti-tank system with a laser rangefinder and thermal imager, similar to the early Leopard 2, as well as the ability to install additional armor plates that slightly increase the tank's armor protection."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2023-02-03_08-53-30_jpg-2696104.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2023-02-03_08-53-31_jpg-2696107.JPG
Can a Leo 1 kill a T-72?
I think there's a lot of factors in play there, in terms of what T-72, and what 105mm round.

I.E. There's a big difference between M900A1 and some ancient UK round from the late 50s.

This is a little like the M113 discussions, sure, its not ideal, but if they're available fast, they're way better than nothing.  Certainly, they could exploit a breakthrough really well roaming around in the rear areas.

As mentioned earlier, the Ukrainians will probably take the time to bolt some ERA on them, which would make them more or less equivalent to the marine M60s in Desert Storm.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]

This thread is the closest thing to a social life that I have so I hope you guys stick around despite it all...
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#33]
This is a Russian source that's been carefully tracking killed and injured on both sides of the conflict.  Thread in tweet.

TLDR:

View Quote

Be nice to see wounded too. That's where Ukraine is going to excel.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
It's been address elcope, but thank you.

Guns762 messaged me and very much apologized it was up for so long, and that the member who posted is now "banned".

Everything is cool, and we can move forward

Edit: and we can end the discussion about moving the thread...best place for it is on page 1 of GD
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Originally Posted By elcope:

Link to that post please?
It's been address elcope, but thank you.

Guns762 messaged me and very much apologized it was up for so long, and that the member who posted is now "banned".

Everything is cool, and we can move forward

Edit: and we can end the discussion about moving the thread...best place for it is on page 1 of GD

thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

View All Quotes

TLDR:

I think they mention that in the tweet, the source specifically mentions a big Ukrainian advantage to battlefield medical care, and a high percentage of guys going back into the fight after being wounded.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I think this appropriately fits the general mood in here.

Though unfortunately, I don't think it could be posted at anyone specifically without getting some shit from the mods.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Prime:
View Quote

Ok, now with the orcs bringing the NORKs in we know they are serious about defending Christianity from globohomo.
I wasn't sure up to this point, but if there is one thing North Korea is known for, it's being true to the faith.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm also a long term lurker, from the very beginning. I follow this each day. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this discussion.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By MarkNH:

Glad to see foxinnc got the banhammer for that post.
View Quote
I hate to see people get banned. However some are here to do real harm here.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#42]
There are still thousands of M60 tanks in service and in storage around the world. I wish there was a way we could acquire a bunch of these and have them modernized to the Israeli/Turkish M60TM Sabra standard and donate those to Ukraine. It would offer much greater protection and firepower than the Leopard 1. In terms of protection, with the armor upgrades and APS, it would likely equal or exceed the T-72B3. And the updated 120mm gun and modernized sensors will offer much greater firepower than older generation western tanks such as the Leopard 1 and original M60 series. The armor package on these things is really pretty decent. There were Turkish M60T Sabras that withstood hits from ATGMs in Syria that destroyed even Leopard 2A4s.

Turkey receives new modernized main battle tanks M60TM ready for combat operations

I'm not sure how long it would require for an M60 to be upgraded to this standard, or how many could be converted in a year. But it would be another means of getting more modernized and capable tanks into Ukrainian hands and would bypass concerns nations have about their latest technology potentially falling into enemy hands. If we had initiated such a project last spring, I bet by now we could have at least had Israeli and Turkish industry turn out several hundred of these heavily upgraded M60s for use in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#43]

I think they mention that in the tweet, the source specifically mentions a big Ukrainian advantage to battlefield medical care, and a high percentage of guys going back into the fight after being wounded.
View All Quotes

TLDR:

Thanks.  Reading is for ......
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Ok, now with the orcs bringing the NORKs in we know they are serious about defending Christianity from globohomo.
I wasn't sure up to this point, but if there is one thing North Korea is known for, it's being true to the faith.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
Originally Posted By Prime:

I want to know how the NORKs are going to decide who gets the massive upgrade from living in the daily hell of North Korean society to the opulence and luxury of a russain war zone under constant threat of HIMARS attack.  

I mean, will it only be for the politically connected? Will there be bribes involved?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

View Quote

Yeah, I wonder if it would be suited to be used as a sort of flying squadron that can exploit breakthroughs and run down routed troops once the heavier stuff punches through or causes routs.  Maybe use somewhat along the lines of light cavalry versus heavy cavalry.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Videos like this give me hope that Russia doesn’t have an endless supply of suicidal lemmings to throw at the Ukranian defenses.

View All Quotes

Noticed many of them are of Asian descent.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

TLDR:

lol, not your fault really, as I don't know who can see or go to the tweets we post here sometimes.  If anyone can't though and is interested in a tweet let me know and I can try and put it here in another non Twitter link or bing it here in its entirety.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By p3590:
I think there's a lot of factors in play there, in terms of what T-72, and what 105mm round.

I.E. There's a big difference between M900A1 and some ancient UK round from the late 50s.

This is a little like the M113 discussions, sure, its not ideal, but if they're available fast, they're way better than nothing.  Certainly, they could exploit a breakthrough really well roaming around in the rear areas.

As mentioned earlier, the Ukrainians will probably take the time to bolt some ERA on them, which would make them more or less equivalent to the marine M60s in Desert Storm.
View Quote

I have an non-expert question.
If any weapon is questionable against tank armor, couldn't it be used to easily blow the tracks apart? A stuck tank is still dangerous but way less useful.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Are these surplus machines equal to the latest version of the Leopard 2?

No.  No they are not.  But that is not the question.  Rather:

- are these old tanks a match against the T-62 and T-72s which Russia predominantly uses in Ukraine?

Yes, I believe, especially since:  “the key difference from which is the presence of the EMES 18 anti-tank system with a laser rangefinder and thermal imager, similar to the early Leopard 2, “

As for parts support:  the Ukrainians are adept at cannibalizing necessary spares from other vehicles when needed.  Just send lots of them; the Ukrainians will make them work.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3441 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top