Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3461 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/7/2023 3:08:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jack67:

I started looking into that the other day.  Not an expert but read the following:

TL,DR: 105mm development stopped, in most places,  in the early 90s; but by then could get performance on par with early 120mm ammo.  Wide variety out there.

There were plenty of different sabot rounds developed for it.  Technology relatively current to present 120mm ammo, just lacking in power factor and evolutionary tweaks made since those days. Should be more than adequate.  The Israelis continued developing rounds into the early/mid ‘00s. A pretty comprehensive list of rounds developed of all types is here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/105%C3%97617mmR#Ammunition

A while back I read a fair bit about tank-on-tank in DS and 2003, particular eye to ammo performance.  One thing that stuck out to me was the number of through-and-through hits with 120mm DU.  Here’s a link to the current GD 105mm tungsten round:

https://www.gd-ots.com/munitions/large-caliber-ammunition/105mm-c76a1/

It’s using a penetrator 80% the weight of the 120mm penetrator. Let’s assume the same V.  It’s likely going to be more than adequate, and have similar performance vs ERA (e.g., it will be defeated at a similar rate, where defeated).  This is the updated version of the “FP105” round listed in the first link, btw.  In general, it’s not going to be the gun/ammo in a 1A5 that is a limit, it will be the FCS and turret stabilization, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

….
And the gun?  Haven’t the munitions been significantly upgraded?? Are we positive the 1 ‘s rounds just bounce off any part of a T-72?? ( doubt that’s true).

I started looking into that the other day.  Not an expert but read the following:

TL,DR: 105mm development stopped, in most places,  in the early 90s; but by then could get performance on par with early 120mm ammo.  Wide variety out there.

There were plenty of different sabot rounds developed for it.  Technology relatively current to present 120mm ammo, just lacking in power factor and evolutionary tweaks made since those days. Should be more than adequate.  The Israelis continued developing rounds into the early/mid ‘00s. A pretty comprehensive list of rounds developed of all types is here:

A while back I read a fair bit about tank-on-tank in DS and 2003, particular eye to ammo performance.  One thing that stuck out to me was the number of through-and-through hits with 120mm DU.  Here’s a link to the current GD 105mm tungsten round:

It’s using a penetrator 80% the weight of the 120mm penetrator. Let’s assume the same V.  It’s likely going to be more than adequate, and have similar performance vs ERA (e.g., it will be defeated at a similar rate, where defeated).  This is the updated version of the “FP105” round listed in the first link, btw.  In general, it’s not going to be the gun/ammo in a 1A5 that is a limit, it will be the FCS and turret stabilization, etc.

It’s unlikely that something better than M900 could be developed. The muzzle velocity is as low as you’d want to go and industry was talking about needing a new high pressure 105mm to do any better, at that point get a 120mm. In the mid
80s CIA and USA produced different estimates of what percentage of 105mm rounds would penetrate then current T-72 from the front. CIA thought 10-25% and Army thought closing in on 50%. When they got ahold of sample tanks to shoot in 1992 they discovered that M829A1, thick already had 20% better performance than 105mm, wasn’t enough and rushed M829A2 into service. Short version, don’t expect 105mm to penetrate a late model Russian tank from the front, at all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 3:13:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MelGibsonEnthusiast:

As horrible as that reality is, is that consequence worse than allowing the Russians to occupy Ukrainian land longer (likely committing numerous Buchas), kidnap thousands of Ukrainian children, and potentially take more Ukrainian land? It's a morally tough decision, but many are in wars of national survival like this one. If given the option, I guarantee the Ukrainians would accept cluster munitions.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

This.  WTF

People don't want Ukrainian kids stepping on the unexplored bomblets 5 years from now. It sounds like the things become land mines if they don't blow up when they hit. At least that's what I've heard.

As horrible as that reality is, is that consequence worse than allowing the Russians to occupy Ukrainian land longer (likely committing numerous Buchas), kidnap thousands of Ukrainian children, and potentially take more Ukrainian land? It's a morally tough decision, but many are in wars of national survival like this one. If given the option, I guarantee the Ukrainians would accept cluster munitions.

They've been requesting DPICM for a long time.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/07/politics/ukraine-cluster-munitions-us-war-russia/index.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Infantry26:
I think it's pretty obvious that ukraine did not get the best of what the gwot had to offer.  The guys that laid the wood from in places like karbala gap, fallujah and kunar are all like 35-60 years old now.  Nearly all of the foreign legion people I saw on YouTube were pretty clearly too young to have fought in gwot during much of the intense combat.

That said when you're stupid or desperate enough to recruit the tiktok battalions you should consider taking precautions like confiscating phones.  In my experience, the old gwot drill sergeants that did minor things like ensure the destruction of the Iraqi republican guard were smart enough to not allow cell phones in training and although their IQs may have been lower than the average Ukrainian janitor, they were also capable of teaching their soldiers about signals discipline.  It's a shame such a disorganized cluster fuck of an operation was set up in ukraine, by the Ukrainians.  It sounds like they paid dearly for their poorly implemented program and the average iq of the world plummeted like a russian missile into a Yavoriv barracks.
View Quote

Give it a rest.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Where were the ground guides?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
Where were the ground guides?

They were there, you just couldn't see them because they weren't wearing their reflective belts
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Those maps are all kinds of fucked up
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Swiss contemplate growing a national conscience, violating a century+ of tradition.

Pressure building to OK arms and ammo sales to Ukraine:
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3666668-switzerland-close-to-lifting-ban-on-arms-exports-to-ukraine-media.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

Universally this is what guys at the front want. They say shit on suicide drones. Great on minimizing collateral but they expected a little more bang for the buck. Reality is that 1 asegai round or similar can be more effective than 3 155 rounds. DPCM would be a game changer but I don’t see it happening. We destroyed 60% of our stocks. Keep the other 40% for break the fire glass emergencies but we are not making more. The reality is that they need stuff that will cover a hectare in heath not 1000 sf. I hope somebody on high is listening. Exactly what I was referring to. Ukraine lost 300 guys in 3 minutes. 300 of there best from a thermobaric cluster bomb attack. They were in BMPs tanks BTRs etc.. lots more to that story but that happened east of Donetsk after they had successfully cut the rebel/Russian capital. We saw the Ruzz move their hurricanes urugans? up to the border but word was that DC redacted it from intel we were sharing. They were looking at 3-5 day old imagery and assumed they were good. They got clobbered and it wasn’t like they were not digging in etc. it literally sucked the insides out of guys. Talked to a survivor and the fact that he had to retrieve 270 of his buddies with turds sucked out of their mouths. We bear responsibility (Obama Biden) because it was their call. Told Ukraine we’ll provide isr then gave them old shitty intel. Had they been forewarned Donetsk and Strelkov would likely have been Harri Karried.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Originally Posted By theskuh:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

I thought we have seen video of use?

Via someone's stocks.

There was a video of some sort of air bursting cluster used against trenches. I think it was something homegrown? I can't remember.

It was a 120mm Israeli cluster mortar round with 24 submunition.

It was that video that convinced me of 2 things:

- the devastating effectiveness cluster munitions could represent in Ukrainian hands, and second:

- ???

(Where did that round come from? Hmmmm. . . ).

I'm certainly not opposed to sending some 155mm Dpicm.

For context (older video; still a devastating round we should be sending to Ukraine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IroOVamQZHQ

Universally this is what guys at the front want. They say shit on suicide drones. Great on minimizing collateral but they expected a little more bang for the buck. Reality is that 1 asegai round or similar can be more effective than 3 155 rounds. DPCM would be a game changer but I don’t see it happening. We destroyed 60% of our stocks. Keep the other 40% for break the fire glass emergencies but we are not making more. The reality is that they need stuff that will cover a hectare in heath not 1000 sf. I hope somebody on high is listening. Exactly what I was referring to. Ukraine lost 300 guys in 3 minutes. 300 of there best from a thermobaric cluster bomb attack. They were in BMPs tanks BTRs etc.. lots more to that story but that happened east of Donetsk after they had successfully cut the rebel/Russian capital. We saw the Ruzz move their hurricanes urugans? up to the border but word was that DC redacted it from intel we were sharing. They were looking at 3-5 day old imagery and assumed they were good. They got clobbered and it wasn’t like they were not digging in etc. it literally sucked the insides out of guys. Talked to a survivor and the fact that he had to retrieve 270 of his buddies with turds sucked out of their mouths. We bear responsibility (Obama Biden) because it was their call. Told Ukraine we’ll provide isr then gave them old shitty intel. Had they been forewarned Donetsk and Strelkov would likely have been Harri Karried.

That is terrible.
Glad you are back.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:32:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aikibiker] [#8]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Outnumbered and Worn Out, Ukrainians in East Brace for Russian Assault
The war is intensifying in a string of villages on the eastern front, where doctors struggle to handle an influx of gruesome injuries and soldiers fret about a Russian army sending waves of new conscripts.[/i]

https://archive.fo/8YvwV

[.

“There are so many,” Mr. Haidai said of the new recruits. “These are not professional soldiers, but it is still 200,000 people who are shooting in our direction.”

You take them out and they keep coming and coming. There are so many.”

“We also have losses, but they have huge losses,” Badger said. “We’ve wasted them all in huge numbers.”
View Quote

That is, historically, how russia wins wars in a nutshell.  They get the shit kicked out of them at first, then start mobilizing and begin the Zerg rushes, then they just keep coming until the other guys can't kill anymore of them.  That is why we developed things like DPICM and tactical artillery fired nukes.  It takes a LOT of killing to stop the Russians once they get going.

I think this time it will ultimately end their country since the demographic timebomb they were sitting on is now getting tritium injectors due to how many the Ukrainians are taking out.  I just hope the UA can survive the onslaught.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]
He's got an empty sack if he doesn't go to Kyiv.

Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

And let's remember that tanks spend most of their time engaging non-tank targets, such as troops, trucks, IFVs, or bunkers, and that still the majority of tank losses (historically) come from non-tank sources, such as artillery and land mines.

So substituting Leo 1's in Mech and Light(er) Brigades could allow the Ukrainians to concentrate their better models into more-fully-equipped Armor Brigades.

The Canadians used the MEXAS add-on armor kit, and apparently there is 105mm ammo out there as you found.

IIRC the MEXAS array is made of ceramic by a German company(?), so would that take anything away from other priorities (ceramics for other vehicles)? I don't know enough about the remaining Leo 1 supply chain to say, but I bet it is pretty thin.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

And let's remember that tanks spend most of their time engaging non-tank targets, such as troops, trucks, IFVs, or bunkers, and that still the majority of tank losses (historically) come from non-tank sources, such as artillery and land mines.

So substituting Leo 1's in Mech and Light(er) Brigades could allow the Ukrainians to concentrate their better models into more-fully-equipped Armor Brigades.

The Canadians used the MEXAS add-on armor kit, and apparently there is 105mm ammo out there as you found.

IIRC the MEXAS array is made of ceramic by a German company(?), so would that take anything away from other priorities (ceramics for other vehicles)? I don't know enough about the remaining Leo 1 supply chain to say, but I bet it is pretty thin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEXAS

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/leopard-1

The Canadian Leopard 1s were upgraded a couple times. I wonder how many are left.

Retired 2017.

Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:38:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#11]

Danilov: ‘Ukraine’s national interest is Russia’s disintegration’
https://kyivindependent.com/national/danilov-ukraines-national-interest-is-russias-disintegration

[Russians were able to mobilize 321,000 people, with roughly 160,000 of them already sent to the front, Danilov said, adding that Ukraine's defense forces had seriously diminished this wave.

"A lot of them were gunned down by our army," he said.
The other half of the newly-mobilized Russian force is still stuck on Russian and Belarus training grounds. When these troops are sent into battle, too, it could prove challenging for Ukraine, despite their lack of motivation, according to Danilov.

Defense Intelligence Chief Kyrylo Budanov said on Jan. 31 that approximately 326,000 Russian soldiers are currently fighting in Ukraine. Those numbers can't be independently verified.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:52:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#12]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

View Quote

That’s a fire in a distillation tower.  Looks like it started higher up the stack and most likely an industrial accident, usually from lack of maintenance/cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#13]

That's a fire in a distillation tower.  Looks like it started higher up the stack and most likely an industrial accident, usually from lack of maintenance/cleaning.
View Quote

I'll take any fires I can get.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Swiss contemplate growing a national conscience, violating a century+ of tradition.

Pressure building to OK arms and ammo sales to Ukraine:
https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3666668-switzerland-close-to-lifting-ban-on-arms-exports-to-ukraine-media.html
View Quote

If swissland joins does that mean we're officially in a WW?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 7:11:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#15]
I think it's pretty obvious that ukraine did not get the best of what the gwot had to offer.  The guys that laid the wood from in places like karbala gap, fallujah and kunar are all like 35-60 years old now.  Nearly all of the foreign legion people I saw on YouTube were pretty clearly too young to have fought in gwot during much of the intense combat.

That said when you're stupid or desperate enough to recruit the tiktok battalions you should consider taking precautions like confiscating phones.  In my experience, the old gwot drill sergeants that did minor things like ensure the destruction of the Iraqi republican guard were smart enough to not allow cell phones in training and although their IQs may have been lower than the average Ukrainian janitor, they were also capable of teaching their soldiers about signals discipline.  It's a shame such a disorganized cluster fuck of an operation was set up in ukraine, by the Ukrainians.  It sounds like they paid dearly for their poorly implemented program and the average iq of the world plummeted like a russian missile into a Yavoriv barracks.
View All Quotes

A got the story on the FL polish shitbird guy. There is truth and some of the common western volunteer issues there. Guy is shitcanned or will be but I can't comment on specifics for a few weeks or so at least. Bottom line he was dirty but not not as bad as it sounds by WW3 standards but yes bad leadership in that one unit.

My previous comments about the crying and awol gwot guys referred to the dudes who ran after a few days or weeks or maybe month or two. They were not all Americans actually quiet a few were from other European places but plenty of Yanks. Many went awol with guns/armor etc after signing contracts. They also were responsible for getting a large cadre of very good English speaking officers killed by twittering and live-streaming their badasses on the gram. The Russians hit the leadership barracks mostly and hence the mass desertion, lack of leadership, etc. many Ukrainians heard about the attack, the speculated reason, the mass dissertion, with guns/armor ammo etc. and what do you expect. It did not foster a great environment of trust. It's easy to get paranoid when you are under the command of someone you don't understand, don't trust, and you have high expectations (that will be let down) because it was France 1940. The Germans didn't smash the maginot line, the went through neutral territory. Add the fact that at least a couple of the volunteers were double agents, spreading dissinformation like cannon fodder, you blokes are being sent to die rheeee. I give credit to the dudes who stayed the course and just trusted in god, that's all you got. Your word is bond so the running men can say whatever, the reality is something else. You say yes means yes. No means no, follow that principle and life will probably work out for you as planned. Being a malingerer or spreading dissinformation, you might as well have helped the Russians.  No one was cannon fodder. Yaroviv had the best trained cadre outside of the Donbass. That's where training to nato standards was done. The loss of SSGs and officers on the UA side was massive, they were giving you their best guys. You got the residual after a lot of good ones got vaporized.

I say all this having been steered away from the FL from the start. I'm not in comms with them, and it's all through assorted friends in Ukrainian units that have worked with some of the Eastern European/Eurasian parts of FL or had friends attached there.  I say this (having been nearbye during the great panick it wasn't pretty) and at least having enough language and friends in UA and experience living there to go native. So my perspective is biased towards the UA guys. To be clear there are effective badass FL units but their is what 5k now and like 35k in total joined. Casualties are much less as a whole than in most UA units. Out of those 35k I think 300 or so max have been 200/300 (just a guess). It's a shame because they could have been so much more if they'd just not had cell phones pinging, and used common sense in a war zone with ballistic missiles. I'm not sleeping in a building filled with soldiers there, ever ever. I would have gone outside and dug myself a worm hole to sleep in at Yaroviv. No way I'd have sat around shooting the shit in mass like that. No one prevented them from doing that.  That place has building no one knows about. Let so and so know we're going to sleep in the ammo bunkers or whatever, be here at 0600. No they clumped up and live streamed and called mom. Call mom before you go into barracks in war. Common sense. Anyway rant over. We can move on from that, and I salute the fallen from all nations.

This sounds like a thinly veiled attempt to insult and drive away a poster again.  Please reexamine your tone and intentions in posting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 7:22:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fisherman] [#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Originally Posted By jungatheart:

This.  WTF

People don't want Ukrainian kids stepping on the unexplored bomblets 5 years from now. It sounds like the things become land mines if they don't blow up when they hit. At least that's what I've heard.

I thought the Rs have already been using cluster munitions and worse (if that's possible). The landscape will be a mess UXO-wise whether the AFU has cluster munitions or not and they have made this request. We just need to give the AFU whatever they ask for and let them use that tech whatever way works best. And do it ASAP.

Honestly dread what may be headed their way in the next 60-90 days.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

The chances Biden is allowed into Ukraine are a zillion to one.

Could you imagine if a stray cruise missile killed the POTUS? That would be on of the biggest shit shows show in US history
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 7:30:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Breven52] [#18]
Originally Posted By Capta:

This sounds like a thinly veiled attempt to insult and drive away a poster again.  Please reexamine your tone and intentions in posting.
View All Quotes

A got the story on the FL polish shitbird guy. There is truth and some of the common western volunteer issues there. Guy is shitcanned or will be but I can't comment on specifics for a few weeks or so at least. Bottom line he was dirty but not not as bad as it sounds by WW3 standards but yes bad leadership in that one unit.

My previous comments about the crying and awol gwot guys referred to the dudes who ran after a few days or weeks or maybe month or two. They were not all Americans actually quiet a few were from other European places but plenty of Yanks. Many went awol with guns/armor etc after signing contracts. They also were responsible for getting a large cadre of very good English speaking officers killed by twittering and live-streaming their badasses on the gram. The Russians hit the leadership barracks mostly and hence the mass desertion, lack of leadership, etc. many Ukrainians heard about the attack, the speculated reason, the mass dissertion, with guns/armor ammo etc. and what do you expect. It did not foster a great environment of trust. It's easy to get paranoid when you are under the command of someone you don't understand, don't trust, and you have high expectations (that will be let down) because it was France 1940. The Germans didn't smash the maginot line, the went through neutral territory. Add the fact that at least a couple of the volunteers were double agents, spreading dissinformation like cannon fodder, you blokes are being sent to die rheeee. I give credit to the dudes who stayed the course and just trusted in god, that's all you got. Your word is bond so the running men can say whatever, the reality is something else. You say yes means yes. No means no, follow that principle and life will probably work out for you as planned. Being a malingerer or spreading dissinformation, you might as well have helped the Russians.  No one was cannon fodder. Yaroviv had the best trained cadre outside of the Donbass. That's where training to nato standards was done. The loss of SSGs and officers on the UA side was massive, they were giving you their best guys. You got the residual after a lot of good ones got vaporized.

I say all this having been steered away from the FL from the start. I'm not in comms with them, and it's all through assorted friends in Ukrainian units that have worked with some of the Eastern European/Eurasian parts of FL or had friends attached there.  I say this (having been nearbye during the great panick it wasn't pretty) and at least having enough language and friends in UA and experience living there to go native. So my perspective is biased towards the UA guys. To be clear there are effective badass FL units but their is what 5k now and like 35k in total joined. Casualties are much less as a whole than in most UA units. Out of those 35k I think 300 or so max have been 200/300 (just a guess). It's a shame because they could have been so much more if they'd just not had cell phones pinging, and used common sense in a war zone with ballistic missiles. I'm not sleeping in a building filled with soldiers there, ever ever. I would have gone outside and dug myself a worm hole to sleep in at Yaroviv. No way I'd have sat around shooting the shit in mass like that. No one prevented them from doing that.  That place has building no one knows about. Let so and so know we're going to sleep in the ammo bunkers or whatever, be here at 0600. No they clumped up and live streamed and called mom. Call mom before you go into barracks in war. Common sense. Anyway rant over. We can move on from that, and I salute the fallen from all nations.

Having lived on that base in Yavoriv for a year, I can confirm there were protected places those guys could have slept if Effort had been taken by the post command to fix up some older locations. That’s all I have to contribute to this conversation. Welcome back GF.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fisherman:

I thought the Rs have already been using cluster munitions and worse (if that's possible). The landscape will be a mess UXO-wise whether the AFU has cluster munitions or not and they have made this request. We just need to give the AFU whatever they ask for and let them use that tech whatever way works best. And do it ASAP.

View Quote

I think the big concern is landlines. Both sides are using massive amounts of mines, from at mines to 155mm artillery dispersed mines. Cleaning all of them up once Ukraine is liberated will take years if not decades

Plus it seems like the Russians have mined lots of fields and farms, so clearing those before agriculture work can be done will be challenging
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MfK:

I think the big concern is landlines. Both sides are using massive amounts of mines, from at mines to 155mm artillery dispersed mines. Cleaning all of them up once Ukraine is liberated will take years if not decades

Plus it seems like the Russians have mined lots of fields and farms, so clearing those before agriculture work can be done will be challenging
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fisherman:

My understanding as well.
Given that homes and infrastructure in those same areas are also destroyed paints a very distressing picture. Decades for sure.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Could you imagine if a stray cruise missile killed the POTUS? That would be on of the biggest shit shows show in US history
View All Quotes

Sounds terrible.  Any chance Kamela is going on the trip with him?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#22]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419667/A96A8C19-C32C-48CB-B00E-96C7060ED14D_jpe-2701159.JPG

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Now if we could just quietly ship a couple dozen toads, AAPV-7 and a few mk v. or other riverine boat with some bang.

Like I’ve said if you can put Sebastopol under fire, the war looses its luster quickly. Sebastopol under fire may even make Crimea an island, the soviets delved too deep and greedily there. Lots of bang in them old bunkers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By p3590:
Why would invading Crimea be necessary/good compared to just cutting it off and dropping long range fires on it?   Didn't we send some harpoons already which would make supplying it by sea increasingly dicey?

There are two different ways to get back all the Ukrainian territory. One is fighting for every inch of it. The other is taking Crimea and leveraging a withdrawal from the mainland occupied territory.   Taking Crimea first may short-circuit the need to fight bodily and bloodily through Lukansk and Donetsk.  It has a strategic value of outsize proportion because of Russia’s European trade routes.  Crimea is to Russian Black Sea trade as the UK is to northern European ports - you cannot have an Atlantic trade if UK is hostile to you.  In the missile age, Russia can’t use its most valuable port if a hostile power holds Crimea.

1/3 to 1/2 of all European Russia’s sea trade goes through ports controlled by Crimea - mostly Novorossiysk on the mainland coast, not through the Don River (Rostov) - though that is important, also.  Possession of Crimea can reduce that to near-zero.  Ukraine doesn’t have to launch an Iran-style war on neutral shipping, necessarily. They just have to damage a few Russian-flagged vessels once they have Crimea and commercial shipping will cease on its own.  Russia simply cannot allow that to happen - it’s an absolutely existential threat.

Another strong point is that Crimea is much more conducive to maneuver warfare topographically. It also has the advantage of having a sea flank as the front advances for security, vs getting deeper into a cauldron with risky flanks in Luhansk, etc.  This isn’t a certain strategy, but it’s an option if the Perekop Isthmus can be managed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419667/A96A8C19-C32C-48CB-B00E-96C7060ED14D_jpe-2701159.JPG

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Now if we could just quietly ship a couple dozen toads, AAPV-7 and a few mk v. or other riverine boat with some bang.

Like I’ve said if you can put Sebastopol under fire, the war looses its luster quickly. Sebastopol under fire may even make Crimea an island, the soviets delved too deep and greedily there. Lots of bang in them old bunkers.

And just like that…. all was right with the thread

Welcome back GF!
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#25]
For those that think Russia isn't training well here is a video showing them using smoke to obscure there movement. I firmly believe that some of the new guys are getting better training that we are being shown.

https://funker530.com/video/russian-column-uses-smoke-screen-to-cross-open-ground/
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
View Quote
At some point they are going to leave those trenches. I can't figure out who will first and where.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#31]
For those that think Russia isn't training well here is a video showing them using smoke to obscure there movement. I firmly believe that some of the new guys are getting better training that we are being shown.

https://funker530.com/video/russian-column-uses-smoke-screen-to-cross-open-ground/
View Quote

Firmly agree.  A lot of units and #s of mobiks unaccounted for, for a long time.

Here’s one guy not coming to the party though. Reports say Rus lost a MG this week. Used to command elite paratroop division, came out of retirement to lead a mobilized motor rifle regiment.  Killed in a gunfight with a Ukr sabotage group.  Ninth MG to be killed since 2/22.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11721601/Russian-general-Dmitry-Ulyanov-killed-Ukraine-latest-blow-Putin.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Decent video of how blind tanks can be https://funker530.com/video/russian-t-72-drives-within-inches-of-ukrainian-rpg-gunner/
View Quote
Watching that video I was saying "wait.........wait.........wait..........that's why you wait"
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#34]
As much as we appreciate the large numbers, my assumption must be that UKR would have an uptick in casualties as well; especially during large RUS offensives.

I'd ask we all remember that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Paraflare:
As much as we appreciate the large numbers, my assumption must be that UKR would have an uptick in casualties as well; especially during large RUS offensives.

View Quote
Yup, I agree. That was my first thought too. Just terrible for the UA soldiers.

PZ says Russia needs 500k dead to stop, and as much as I would like to see that, I just hate to think how many good Ukrainians will have to die in that process
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Firmly agree.  A lot of units and #s of mobiks unaccounted for, for a long time.

Here’s one guy not coming to the party though. Reports say Rus lost a MG this week. Used to command elite paratroop division, came out of retirement to lead a mobilized motor rifle regiment.  Killed in a gunfight with a Ukr sabotage group.  Ninth MG to be killed since 2/22.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11721601/Russian-general-Dmitry-Ulyanov-killed-Ukraine-latest-blow-Putin.html
View All Quotes

He was 44 years old, but was a retired MG?
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:

Sounds terrible.  Any chance Kamela is going on the trip with him?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Yes it sure is, he knows exactly what he is doing with his veiled "IQ" comments. It's shit like this coming from childish members that have absolutely ruined this place. If a MOD has been following this thread closely they would know what he's trying to do with his bullshit IQ comments and attempting to stir shit up again.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
View Quote

Great kill!

THATS the kind of thing we wanna see more of… taking out support equipment. How many trenches won’t get dug now or delayed?

Great for morale-can’t even dig the trenches in safety and the nice machine, rather than your hands, is blown up. Happy digging comrade!
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

I also have to remind myself when I get excited about the large numbers that Russia doesn't give a single fuck about those numbers. It could be 5,000 Russians dead everyday and the war would continue. As long as they're gaining inches, they'll continue to fight and die indefinitely.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By craig19:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By craig19:

I thought the same a moment, but this was at the bottom of the article.  Must have left to do something else, then called right back.  Not out of the range.

Reports last year named the following top brass killed in the war: Lt-Gen Yakov Rezantsev, 48, Maj-Gen Andrei Kolesnikov, 45, Maj-Gen Andrey Sukhovetsky, , Maj-Gen Vitaly Gerasimov, 44, Maj-Gen Vladimir Frolov, 54, Maj-Gen Andrei Simonov, 55, Maj-Gen Oleg Mityaev, 48, Maj-Gen Kanamat Botashev, 63, and Maj-Gen Roman Kutuzov, 53.

Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:19:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit8472] [#43]

View Quote

Don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten. We think about it every day. The faster orcs are slayed the faster Ukr lives will be in safety. Though the kill ratio IS in Ukr’s favor.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

Yes it sure is, he knows exactly what he is doing with his veiled "IQ" comments. It's shit like this coming from childish members that have absolutely ruined this place. If a MOD has been following this thread closely they would know what he's trying to do with his bullshit IQ comments and attempting to stir shit up again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

+1
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

A majority of the mobils went to Belarus for months of training while they sent the prisoners straight to front lines to fill the gaps while alot of the mobilized were sent to training.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:34:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#46]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

I also have to remind myself when I get excited about the large numbers that Russia doesn't give a single fuck about those numbers. It could be 5,000 Russians dead everyday and the war would continue. As long as they're gaining inches, they'll continue to fight and die indefinitely.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

I agree, until they actually can't.

These Russian offensives usually only have enough steam to push for two to three weeks before they run out of supplies to the front to sustain them.  It happened to Wagner in Bakhmut, and now the Russian regular army is being attrited.

Add in the interesting info from the British Mod posted above about the Russians lacking maneuver elements and trying to make offensive pushes along an extended line and you can predict that this is going to fail for the Russians soon.

I'm just glad that we have the Ukrainians training on large maneuver forces and working with combined arms training for their upcoming offensives.

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3248075/us-plans-combined-arms-training-for-ukrainian-soldiers/

"[This] is a logical next step in our ongoing training efforts, which began in 2014, to build the Ukrainian armed forces capacity," Pentagon Press Secretary Air Force Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said during a briefing today. "While there's an understandable focus on the equipment being provided to Ukraine, training is and has been essential to ensuring Ukraine has the skilled forces necessary to better defend themselves."

Soldiers from U.S. Army Europe and Africa Command's 7th Army Training Command will provide the combined arms and joint maneuver training, Ryder said. It's expected that training will happen at U.S. ranges in Germany and will begin in the January timeframe.

The Ukrainians will determine which service members from Ukraine's armed forces will participate in the training, Ryder said, but it's expected about 500 Ukrainians a month will participate.

"What you can expect to see is that we will ... bring in battalion-sized units, and it will begin with things like live fire exercises, followed by squad, platoon and company level training that will then culminate in battalion-level maneuver training," said Ryder. "Importantly, it will also include battalion headquarters staff training."

Training, he said, will begin with classroom exercises and then shift to practical applications in the field beginning with work amongst the lowest-level units and working up to larger-unit training.

"You've heard Secretary Austin talk about that the equipment is important, but it's how to take that equipment and apply it in the field in a way that's going to enable you to do combined arms and achieve decisive effects on the battlefield," he said. "This training will contribute to that."
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#49]

The "hidden Heroes" of this war:
Bomb disposal Dogs and their handlers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3461 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top