Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4973 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By daoliver924:
You might want to read up on that. Technically it was a punitive action as Polk placed troops on the Texas side of the Rio Grande (which Mexico disputed) and Mexico attacked them. Thus it became a punitive action.
The US basically pulled what Russia is currently doing.
Should we withdraw and give Texas and California back to Texas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican%E2%80%93American_War
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

The state of Texas says, Hold my beer, let me tell you about 1836-1848 fisticuffs with Mexico!

You might want to read up on that. Technically it was a punitive action as Polk placed troops on the Texas side of the Rio Grande (which Mexico disputed) and Mexico attacked them. Thus it became a punitive action.

It'll never cease to be funny to me that the Russians' and their supporters' (such as yourself) largest gripe is that imperialistic land grabs and genocide are no longer as socially acceptable as they were in the 19th century.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:15:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daoliver924] [#2]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

It'll never cease to be funny to me that the Russians' and their supporters' (such as yourself) largest gripe is that imperialistic land grabs and genocide are no longer as socially acceptable as they were in the 19th century.
View Quote
I don't support Russia. I just don't see their actions in Ukr as our problem.
As to your comment. You obviously have a huge problem with reading comprehension

I'll leave you to your echo chamber
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny thing is that at least the Sinaloa cartel has banned being involved in Fentanyl at all.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/el-chapo-s-sons-executing-their-own-drug-dealers-for-not-complying-with-new-fentanyl-ban-report/ar-AA1hLaqN
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackHoleSon:

Absolutely would. That's why our enemies invest in pumping it across our border. Low cost high yield way to kill or destabilize fighting age males
Funny thing is that at least the Sinaloa cartel has banned being involved in Fentanyl at all.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/el-chapo-s-sons-executing-their-own-drug-dealers-for-not-complying-with-new-fentanyl-ban-report/ar-AA1hLaqN

Any fighting age male that would use fentanyl is not worth having in your fighting force.  They would be a liability and a problem…..best just let them die of overdoses
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
As to your comment. You obviously have a huge problem with reading comprehension

View All Quotes

Dude, you seriously have argued that Ukraine faked Bucha, and you have consistently made efforts to downplay or cast doubts upon other Russian war crimes. That's more than enough for you be considered pro-Russian, regardless of what you choose to label yourself.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I bolded the pertinent part. Literally everything we did up until the 1900's was in response to something someone else did to the USA or it's direct commerce. We didn't get involved just because someone invaded someone.
Ukr provides roughly 1.5 billion in exports to the US. The US (not counting the recent aid) exports 700million to the UKR. 500 million of the UKR exports are iron and steel which we could easily produce at home.
Sorry, Ukr  provides nothing of value to US interests.
View All Quotes

I believe Jefferson was a founder  and he launched the Tripoli punitive mission. It is incredibly naive or short sighted to think we can hunker down within our borders and let the world go to hell and that is a winning strategy. Russia has contributed greatly to the corruption of our US and European society with infiltration and support for subversive movements. That is not secured by a border.

It is time for the evil empire to be defanged for good. And Ukraine is willing to spill its blood to do that so it can live in peace.

The isolationist "peace" movement is a direct Russian narrative since the 60s.

I bolded the pertinent part. Literally everything we did up until the 1900's was in response to something someone else did to the USA or it's direct commerce. We didn't get involved just because someone invaded someone.
Ukr provides roughly 1.5 billion in exports to the US. The US (not counting the recent aid) exports 700million to the UKR. 500 million of the UKR exports are iron and steel which we could easily produce at home.

Sorry but Russia actively attacks us all the time. The part of my text you ignored spoke directly to the threat Russia poses to us and that our interest in Ukraine is to help defang Russia for a long time. With a militarily weak and economically collapsed Russia much of the social subversion such as isolationist peace movement of the 1960s will dry up.

Your peace in our borders ideology is nothing more than the peace movement spawned during Vietnam war in the US and across Europe. Not just because of Vietnam but to weaken resolve on nuclear capability and deterrence. Yes, Russia and China would love for us to abandon the global field of battle.

Do you think Russia will stop at Ukraine when they constantly promote going far beyond?  Is it not cheaper to confront and defeat Russia now with Ukraine greatly weakening them rather than later after they absorb Ukraine, Baltics, Poland and Romania which they are actively attacking in various shaping operations?

If we only defend our borders then we won’t have overseas trade. Global trade is largely possible due to the US enforcing free transit of sea lanes and airways. There is a lot wrong in the world but the US stepping off the stage will accelerate the spread and strength of evil and violence. Without trade we will also suffer. And our capability to defend ourselves will erode in comparison to those powers who have free rein to pillage and subjugate the rest of the world.

If you want to enjoy civilization you have to fight for it. And if you wait for it to knock on your door you have already lost.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
In Syria, militants attacked a military university graduation in Homs with a drone. 70 people died. Among them were generals, cadets and relatives of those who came to rejoice for their sons. Peace to the ashes of the dead and recovery to the injured.

This incident gives me the right to draw several conclusions:

1. The war in Syria is not over. Terrorists in Idlib will have to be destroyed by force (especially since there are many people from the post-Soviet space there).

2. War has changed a lot. The drones reach targets that were previously outside the kill zone. Now this can be felt in every corner of the globe.

Alexander Kharchenko

https://t.me/bayraktar1070/1590

And who will fight in that Syria now? Twice "heroes" of Palmyra from the Russian Defense Ministry?
Or the brave Syrian army, which marched with victorious steps not through Syrian cities, but on Russian TV?

And we don’t have any others, only alcoholics and drug addicts.

https://t.me/Separ13_13/19979

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Dude, you seriously have argued that Ukraine faked Bucha, and you have consistently made efforts to downplay or cast doubts upon other Russian war crimes. That's more than enough for you be considered pro-Russian, regardless of what you choose to label yourself.
View Quote

Just move on. Some are too broken to fix.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]

At some level I have to wonder if Putin is a Ukrainian deep cover agent. 😂 He may have taken out more generals and colonels than the AFU. And may do more to demoralize troops at the front than any AFU propaganda.

Don’t interrupt the enemy while they are feasting on their own.

View Quote

Addicts do many self hurting things while
trying to acquire their drug of choice. in
this case: Power.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

By necessity, Ukraine is doing all the heavy lifting here for the interests of the West.

Russia, which has been our global political and military enemy since the end of WWII has been reduced militarily and economically tremendously since the start of this conflict.

The "second most powerful" military in the world hasn't been able to conquer a country almost no one here thought would survive more than 2 months.

They have lost half of their tanks, and the world has learned how poorly their weapons have performed in comparison to those of the West.

Putin made a huge gamble and lost. We need to hold his feet to the fire and not let up.

Removing Russia as a legitimate threat for the next 30 years certainly fits my definition of "value".
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Russian Telegram on the “grenades and coke” theory.

Here the statements were made that:

- grenade fragments were found in the bodies of those in Prigozhin’s business jet.
- the Investigative Committee found 5 kilograms of cocaine in Prigozhin’s office.

Is it worth linking this as a logical chain, or are these simply two facts independent of each other, and this does not mean that those on board got high, snorted, polished it all off with vodka and began playing with grenades, or does it even mean something else? Idk shorter. Although how to establish this now, no examination was carried out for the presence of alcohol and narcotic substances in the body.

The only one who was pleased with such statements was, as expected, a blogger a la pilot.

@ok_spn

https://t.me/ok_spn/26885

The only thing that can be added here is Ninth’s attitude towards alcohol and drugs. Those who were in the “Orchestra” know what followed. Dismissal, blacklisting and a fine are the easiest things you could get off with. Sometimes the container or Dr. Stechkin got involved.

If the methods were the same in MO, then a shit ton of characters wouldn’t be boarding the blue rocket with regular frequency. And it would be okay if they just drank and didn’t touch anyone, so some give commands at the moment when the blue is splashed. But oh well, that's another topic.

@ok_spn

https://t.me/ok_spn/26886

A short summary: the most combat-ready unit in the history of modern Russia was commanded by alcoholics and drug addicts who, being professional soldiers, did not know about the rules for handling hand grenades. However, the people of Russia will forever remember them differently.
@arbat

https://t.me/arbat/1717

At the beginning of November 2018, I had the opportunity to fly on the first board. Then Evgeny Viktorovich, together with the Brigade Commander (Ninth), flew from Sudan to Libya for a meeting with General Khalifa Haftar, which took place in Benghazi. On board were also ten members of the first assault detachment, in which I then worked in Sudan: the commander of the detachment Ratibor with control and six of the most trained fighters to strengthen personal security.

Then three Heroes of Russia: the First, the Ninth and Ratibor also flew together. Let's leave the debate on why... that's not what we're talking about now.

Even in Africa, where security measures are not so strict, personal guards were instructed to unfasten their magazines for the duration of the flight. The rest received weapons after landing, right on takeoff, then, in full armor, quickly loaded into jeeps and left for Benghazi.

To be continued...

https://t.me/otechestvo_BY/48

1. Passengers are always seated in “business class” in the front part of the aircraft cabin, security is separate in the center and rear.

2. Passengers do not and cannot have anything explosive with them. People of this level do not carry grenades with them, this is the task of security.

3. Due to security measures, even personal guards are prohibited from touching ammunition during the flight and they are observed.

4. Anyone who has used a live grenade knows that it is an absolutely safe thing until you take out the ring and it is not so easy to do.

5. It is reliably known that the plane began to fall as a result of the destruction of the wing in the landing gear area. The superjet fuselage is designed to withstand much greater loads than a grenade explosion in the cabin.

Conclusion: the voiced version, especially when powdered with alcohol and cocaine, raises concerns about the sanity and competence of its creators. A pathetic, hastily put together, ugly, mediocre attempt to trample the dead Heroes of the Fatherland into shit.

https://t.me/otechestvo_BY/49

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#12]
This doesn't sound like winning.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

Fentanyl-laced vodka  
View Quote

Methanol contamination has been the cause of real life alcohol poisonings. Allegedly, they would deliberately add methanol to the ethanol issued for hardware maintenance purposes when they really, really didn't want it to be stolen and consumed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#14]
This is a rewarding one, visually speaking.
The enemy BMP-2M, after detonating its own mine, was finished off by an fpv drone under the control of the pilot RUBAK "Wild Division" of the 82nd ODSHBr 🦅
Zaporozhye direction.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

Izmail is indeed in the Odessa oblast, and right across the river from Romania. Since Ukraine is using that port to try to ship grain out, Russia is targeting it. All economic infrastructure are legitimate targets according to Russia. Since Romania has already seen a couple strays land on their territory, I really like to see Romania put air defense right at Plauru, right across the river from Izmail. As far as I'm concerned, Romania protecting their own territory from strays is valid self-defense against Russian escalation. And if it protects Izmail's port, that's just how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:12:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#16]

Biden had to approve the foreign transfer of F-16. We are not providing them but he was holding up numerous other countries that could. At least Netherlands and Norway have the stones to lead the effort.

If ATACMS are so precious and desperately needed by the US, why were half of them left in expired condition not available for use? Seems if we truly think China could kick things off soon we would have been keeping those 1,000 extra missiles in operable condition, no?

View Quote

DOD budgets have been impacted by CRs and sucked since Obama. So tough calls  and political appointees have wreaked havoc on the military - recruiting being an example of that https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/4151797-for-a-right-sized-pentagon-budget-rethink-confusing-cost-control-measures/amp/
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
So you're one of those living Constitution guys. When are you coming to take my guns because the 2a is outdated?
View All Quotes

Whether you like it or not, we no longer live in the 18th/19th century, and we don't get to pretend like things that happen overseas don't impact us because they don't directly impact the territorial integrity of the US. Upholding US hegemony, international order, the stability of the global economy, etc. are all legitimate, important US objectives. It's not in the interests of the US to let Russia destroy international law and order, violate most everything we've been working towards since the Kellog-Briand Pact and the Atlantic Charter, commit countless war crimes (which you've made very clear you view as being false flags), foster extreme amounts of division and hatred in Western societies, etc.

You're also heavily relying on historical revisionism. The US has never been isolationist, and US foreign policy has never solely revolved around upholding the territorial integrity of the US. All throughout the 19th century, the US Navy was active throughout the world's oceans and along the coasts of South America, Africa, and Asia in order to protect US commerce and interests abroad. We were ready to get involved in the Opium War in China to protect US interests, we had an active role in facilitating the treaty of Wanghia,(Basically the US doing the same as RUS is doing in UKR right now and only considered by China after their defeat by the British and threats by the US )  we conducted numerous punitive expeditions in places like Quallah Battoo, (The reprisal was in response to the massacre of the crew of the merchantman Friendship a year earlier.)
etc. The point being, you're looking at the history of US foreign policy through the rose tinted glasses of your own ideology. Rose tinted glasses indeed

Beyond that, given that you've openly stated you think Bucha was a false flag, I don't have anything CoC compliant to say about you or your worldview. Good luck in all future endeavors!
So you're one of those living Constitution guys. When are you coming to take my guns because the 2a is outdated?

The United States tried that approach; it died in the waters off the Barbary Coast and was buried by the Embargo Act during the Jefferson Administration.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:31:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#18]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Can’t address Taurus but the quantity of availability ATACMS is low. Last I posted checked Biden was approving low quantity transfer. Long before Ukraine the DOD simply failed to procure more than 30 days of most of our precision guided / long range stuff as well as neglecting air defense. But even now Biden isn’t authorizing F-16s either, just training and support. We’ve had mediocre defense budgets contrary to GD beliefs since the 2011 BRC kicked in. Meanwhile insane amounts of $ is spent on non defense spending.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4926_jpeg-2980809.JPG
View Quote

Off-topic: It's not that US defense spending is too low. Three-quarters of a TRILLION dollars is a lot of scratch any way you slice it. The problem is in what it's used for. Munitions and war-fighting isn't it. This has been a building problem for about a generation, not exaggerating. DoD has spent huge on things with marginal benefit, and spending blood on things with marginal benefit. We could have pulled out of Afghanistan 10 years ago and left zero hardware behind and it would have saved hundreds of billions, by the time you figure in disability payments for life to injured soldiers. And those payments not related to active military operations have been becoming a larger and larger proportion of the DoD budget. This is the bomb that's been building for years. It's true that spending today is lower as a percent of GDP from the 2010 high, but it's still a bit higher than where we were before GWOT started. Like the rest of FedGov, what we spend is poorly prioritized.

ETA - failing to procure more than a 30-day supply of major PGM is an incredible strategic failure. Really negligent, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

The state of Texas says, Hold my beer, let me tell you about 1836-1848 fisticuffs with Mexico!

Well, you haven't explained the War of 1812, the War of 1898, US Support of Juarez during the French intervention of Mexico, the Monroe Doctrine, which was designed to support the overthrow of Spanish colonies in the Americas nor the Roosevelt Collaroy to the same, the numerous American interventions in Latin America, the Independence of Panama, the Louisiana Purchase, the purchase of Alaska, the colonization of the Philippines, the acquisition of American Samoa, the takeover of the Hawaiian Islands, why we bothered to seize all those little rocks across the Pacific and in the Caribbean, the Guano Islands Act of 1856, or the "Open Door" policy and the levels we went to to enforce that policy.  Other than that, you're on a roll!
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#20]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7xIhT-W4AAhLxZ?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

But North Korea is BEST Korea! So much reliable equipment comes from there!
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Yes, of course. Russia just needs their lebensraum, and we should let them have it. After all, that could never have any effect on us later on. Ukraine isn't even a real country, da?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Denying that Russia committed war crimes in Bucha when it has been thoroughly investigated and verified by independent parties is a clear indication that somebody is an enemy agent, or a complete idiot. There are no other options. I hadn't put that person on ignore, but I must have overlooked that piece of ugliness. People that deny Russian war crimes are up there with 9/11 deniers and holocaust deniers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Off-topic: It's not that US defense spending is too low. Three-quarters of a TRILLION dollars is a lot of scratch any way you slice it. The problem is in what it's used for. Munitions and war-fighting isn't it. This has been a building problem for about a generation, not exaggerating. DoD has spent huge on things with marginal benefit, and spending blood on things with marginal benefit. We could have pulled out of Afghanistan 10 years ago and left zero hardware behind and it would have saved hundreds of billions, by the time you figure in disability payments for life to injured soldiers. And those payments not related to active military operations have been becoming a larger and larger proportion of the DoD budget. This is the bomb that's been building for years. It's true that spending today is lower as a percent of GDP from the 2010 high, but it's still a bit higher than where we were before GWOT started. Like the rest of FedGov, what we spend is poorly prioritized.
View Quote

The Navy is now getting the lions share but it appears they’re having major backlogs and issues. So the problems with the ground force issues are likely to continue for the foreseeable future. But imo there’s been mismanagement of the DOD since the end of the Cold War that’s just increased over time. The Army lost 35,000 personnel (50,000 if you go by previous statements of the Army} in just 2 years. That just 1 symptom of how ridiculous this has gone meanwhile freakish non defense spending has gotten so out of control that it’s now some crazy new normal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7xD2_RWsAAbhUZ?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Not Dolick! I was rooting for him to be russia's Forrest Gump and lead russia into a new era.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Izmail is indeed in the Odessa oblast, and right across the river from Romania. Since Ukraine is using that port to try to ship grain out, Russia is targeting it. All economic infrastructure are legitimate targets according to Russia. Since Romania has already seen a couple strays land on their territory, I really like to see Romania put air defense right at Plauru, right across the river from Izmail. As far as I'm concerned, Romania protecting their own territory from strays is valid self-defense against Russian escalation. And if it protects Izmail's port, that's just how it goes.
View All Quotes

It would also provide Romania with valuable combat experience. I have to say, it's disappointing to see Shaheeds still get through defenses in Odessa. I don't know what the UAF is defending it with but hopefully they're not primarily relying on older Soviet-era systems.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Alex9661:

Nothing in the city of Odesa is visible from Moldova. Ask me how I know.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alex9661:
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

I don't think anything in Odessa is visible from Romania, maybe they meant Moldova.

Nothing in the city of Odesa is visible from Moldova. Ask me how I know.

I know that you're right, but how do you know?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#27]
The Navy is now getting the lions share but it appears they’re having major backlogs and issues. So the problems with the ground force issues are likely to continue for the foreseeable future. But imo there’s been mismanagement of the DOD since the end of the Cold War that’s just increased over time. The Army lost 35,000 personnel (50,000 if you go by previous statements of the Army} in just 2 years. That just 1 symptom of how ridiculous this has gone meanwhile freakish non defense spending has gotten so out of control that it’s now some crazy new normal.
View Quote

Carmel, do you mean non-defense items in the DoD budget, or the rest of the US budget?

I'm not even in that world, and I've seen enough management problems to make me fear for the efficacy of DoD at carrying out its mission. IMO, this conflict has really exposed some issue, like the inventory and production capacity issues with key munitions. I hope it gets fixed, but as of early 2022, we were NOT prepared for any kind of major conflict at all. Seems like loss of focus after the cold war, "peace dividend," the culture war, and GWOT have combined to hollow out our defense, even though total spending is still quite high.

And interestingly, none of those factors have anything to do with Ukraine. That's what gets me when people complain about US depleting our own stores by sending limited military aid to Ukraine; they're actually saying implicitly that we were not at all prepared to fight any major conflict at a near-peer level. That's a far cry from what we used to aspire to in military capability.

I appreciate your insight.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Denying that Russia committed war crimes in Bucha when it has been thoroughly investigated and verified by independent parties is a clear indication that somebody is an enemy agent, or a complete idiot. There are no other options. I hadn't put that person on ignore, but I must have overlooked that piece of ugliness. People that deny Russian war crimes are up there with 9/11 deniers and holocaust deniers.
View Quote

Just another poster picking up the "I'm just concerned" torch to get some hi-fives from the rage bait crew. Went to his head a little bit from his multipage thread, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#29]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7xIhT-W4AAhLxZ?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

There is exactly one bridge between North Korea and Russia.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nLStTFfyPQrN1khM7

This is where I wish the USN had gifted one of our decommissioned frigates to Ukraine's Navy. That bridge is roughly 20 miles away from international waters in the Sea of Japan. A salvo of missiles from the sea could put that rail bridge out of commission.

Oh, yes, then that frigate would become a quick target for Russia's Pacific Fleet. But it's an interesting idea.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#30]

ETA - failing to procure more than a 30-day supply of major PGM is an incredible strategic failure. Really negligent, IMO.
View Quote

As an Afghan and Iraq war vet myself.. I can't help but agree with your post. Our senior leadership has failed to evolve at the speed of relevance. From the USAF perspective of waste, two immediate examples that come to mind: KC-46 tanker and the T-7 trainer. The original Airbus tanker that was selected was ready to-go and proven in other air forces but instead the USAF awarded the original loser and we still can't get the damn thing in the air reliably and we just retired the KC-10 fleet from active combat service while relying on the even older KC-135 to soldier on. The trainer program had plenty of contestants with proven designs already in service.. the USAF selected a clean sheet design that's experiencing teething design issues and the program has been pushed back. It seems that every single time the USAF senior leadership is presented with a solution that's pragmatic, cost, and performance effective.. it chooses an unproven and costly clean sheet solution and then scratches its head when the program goes awry.

The very fact that we haven't even developed our own cheap, disposable, Shaheed copy to have in our inventory should be enough for a Congressional hearing (for whatever good that does). Meanwhile our supposed #1 threat in the Pacific continues to amass a dizzying array of conventional ballistic and cruise missiles with various speeds, seeker heads, warheads that can be launched from ground, sea, and air while we can't even figure out how to solve the COTS drone problem.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#31]

BOSNIAN DIARY

“IT WAS 1992
At the end of July, the war in Transnistria ended. It ended in a draw, according to the majority of its participants. Many of them, having already smelled gunpowder, lost friends and become embittered, were left with a feeling that can be briefly expressed by the phrase: “We didn’t finish the war.”
After the first euphoria - alive! - a state familiar to most professional warriors set in: the desire to take risks again, to live a “full” life. This is the so-called “gunpowder poisoning syndrome.”
The people were different. In the ranks of the volunteers there were “ideological” monarchists, Cossacks, communists, simply “who love to fight”, and finally, people who accidentally found themselves in the war.
Already in the last days of the Transnistrian campaign, on the eve of the introduction of “peacekeeping forces,” many “without hesitation” were going to fight further. Some, least inclined to justify their desires, were attracted to Karabakh. And many people turned their attention to Yugoslavia, about which there were a lot of all kinds of rumors. Among the latter was the author of this article...”

https://t.me/i_strelkov_2023/228

Bosnian diary. Continuation.

“...The author aims only to acquaint readers with the events in which he (and some of his comrades) were a participant in 1992-1993, as well as with some of his conclusions regarding the past and present, the current Balkan massacre.

It so happened that most of the people who ended up in Bosnia were already aspiring people. Both of my companions - Andrei Nimenko and “Ace” (Alexander Mukharev) were my comrades in Transnistria. Both fought in the TSO (Territorial Rescue Detachment), in the Yuzhny battalion, and took part in the battles on the Kitskansky bridgehead. The “recruiter”, Yaroslav Yastrebov (who, as it turned out later, turned out to be a very unpleasant person) was also traveling with us.
All the way we remembered the battles in which we had participated, looked for (and found) mutual acquaintances, wondered how this adventure would turn out for us. Of all those traveling, As had the richest life and military experience. He was appointed commander of the detachment, which received the loud name “Royal Wolves” in the press, but in fact was modestly called the 2nd Volunteer.

As for ideology, all three who were sitting on the train considered themselves monarchists and patriots (a combination that must be strange for a person far from present-day Russia: it would seem that one implies the other, but this is not so). But, in general, both of my fellow travelers were not very versed in politics. For them, at least at the beginning, neither the reasons for this war nor its goals were completely unknown ... "

https://t.me/i_strelkov_2023/232
View Quote

Bosnian diary. Part three.

“...From the train (we were traveling to Belgrade) they put us in a car and drove straight to Visegrad. We drove through all of Serbia. The hills and fields of Šumadija, neat towns and villages flew by. We, who came abroad for the first time, were struck by the clearly visible prosperity in everything: in the expanse of wide highways, in the mass of private (2-3-story) houses, in the abundance of cars of “prestigious” brands, in the well-groomed fields and roadside cafes. We got to the West. The question involuntarily arose: why do these people fight?

Meanwhile, the plains gave way to mountains. We drove through Uzhitsa and tunnels, cliffs, mountain lakes and monasteries flashed behind the glass. The forests were still green, although November had already arrived (it was snowing in full swing in Moscow).

Pictures of prosperity and peaceful tranquility broke border controls on the Bosnian border for the first time. Several “grandfathers” with carbines and in green overcoats stood at the barrier. They looked clearly not warlike. Two or three soldiers of the “military police” looked completely different: young, healthy guys in smart camouflage, hung with stripes and pistols.

The time will come, and we will learn to recognize in these “heroes” those who like to run from the battlefield at the slightest danger, but for now we, short Russians, looked up at the two-meter “thugs” ... "

https://t.me/i_strelkov_2023/248

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#32]
FILE: Russia Will Never Attack NATO, All Experts Know That

EXHIBIT: 87+8

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/494438/IMG_4129-2980370.jpg

Back in the days of yore, mining a nation’s waters was considered an act of war.

View Quote

This is one of the Kilo missions I’ve been expecting.  The reason why they are likely not making a big deal is Russia likely used mines that Ukraine also has in their arsenal.  Any investigation to get an article five declaration can be muddled by evidence it could be a Ukrainian mine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#34]

DOD budgets have been impacted by CRs and sucked since Obama. So tough calls  and political appointees have wreaked havoc on the military - recruiting being an example of that https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/4151797-for-a-right-sized-pentagon-budget-rethink-confusing-cost-control-measures/amp/
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4942_jpeg-2981090.JPG
View All Quotes

Biden had to approve the foreign transfer of F-16. We are not providing them but he was holding up numerous other countries that could. At least Netherlands and Norway have the stones to lead the effort.

If ATACMS are so precious and desperately needed by the US, why were half of them left in expired condition not available for use? Seems if we truly think China could kick things off soon we would have been keeping those 1,000 extra missiles in operable condition, no?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4942_jpeg-2981090.JPG

Forced to forego new tech and instead sustain old things except for “absolutely critical for China” ATACMS that expired in storage but could have been kept operable.

It seems the situation with ATACMS is symptomatic of an overall political reluctance to give Ukrainian peer capability with Russia. The Pentagon has stated several times we have missiles that can be sent without harming our readiness. Same as with the Abrams. The DoD has given its blessing long ago.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Today's 1420 video is something funny. They're back at the Moscow Institute for International Relations talking to students there, and the topic is the weak Ruble. In particular, comparing the Ruble to Robux in the game Roblox. Buying Robux on the official site is 80 robux/dollar. And we know that the ruble is 100/dollar. So, a game currency is stronger than the ruble.

Our currency costs less than a Robux
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Forced to forego new tech and instead sustain old things except for “absolutely critical for China” ATACMS that expired in storage but could have been kept operable.

It seems the situation with ATACMS is symptomatic of an overall political reluctance to give Ukrainian peer capability with Russia. The Pentagon has stated several times we have missiles that can be sent without harming our readiness. Same as with the Abrams. The DoD has given its blessing long ago.

View Quote

My recollection of what the Pentagon officials told the press. https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2023/01/19/us-still-holds-back-long-range-atacms-missiles-from-ukraine/
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Not justifying anything. Simply point out that it wasn't some new thing that FJB used. I think it all should be cut. Only thing we should be spending money on is Defense of the physical territory of the USA and the Post Office. Everything else is out of the scope of what the founders intended.
View Quote

Every Defense dollar sent to Ukraine to fight Russia is worth $100 Defense dollars spent on other bullshit. This is by far the best investment in history.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Today's 1420 video is something funny. They're back at the Moscow Institute for International Relations talking to students there, and the topic is the weak Ruble. In particular, comparing the Ruble to Robux in the game Roblox. Buying Robux on the official site is 80 robux/dollar. And we know that the ruble is 100/dollar. So, a game currency is stronger than the ruble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjTxzdOWCMg
View Quote

That’s hilarious!  At least Monopoly money is tangible toy money. Great topic for street interviews!

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#40]

what could they be referrring to other than tomahawk or jassm?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#41]

I think it will be Putin's birthday, so Ukrainian forces might have birthday surprises.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Carmel, do you mean non-defense items in the DoD budget, or the rest of the US budget?

I'm not even in that world, and I've seen enough management problems to make me fear for the efficacy of DoD at carrying out its mission. IMO, this conflict has really exposed some issue, like the inventory and production capacity issues with key munitions. I hope it gets fixed, but as of early 2022, we were NOT prepared for any kind of major conflict at all. Seems like loss of focus after the cold war, "peace dividend," the culture war, and GWOT have combined to hollow out our defense, even though total spending is still quite high.

And interestingly, none of those factors have anything to do with Ukraine. That's what gets me when people complain about US depleting our own stores by sending limited military aid to Ukraine; they're actually saying implicitly that we were not at all prepared to fight any major conflict at a near-peer level. That's a far cry from what we used to aspire to in military capability.

View Quote

I was referring to civilian. I think Ukraine has had some impact but not in a black or white fashion but rather in nuanced manner; some things, not others, some positive, some not positive but imo Ukraine aid is not the originator or cause of the situation you describe, which I agree with. I’ve argued in GD since 2017 that the USA was not prepared for a near peer war lasting more than 30 days. The Sec Nav said he’d update impact on USN from Ukraine aid in 6 months to a year from January and to date he hasn’t but the DOD released a press statement in late August if I recall stating Ukraine aid has not impacted readiness on the DOD as of that time. But even if I lean into Ukraine aid negatively, there was a time in which NSS laid out a 2 plus theater scenario. If Ukraine was the source of problems, it only highlights how badly we’ve gotten to the point to fight in a single theater with a single infantry brigade for Iraq/Syria and a infantry battalion for all of Africa. We have Virginia class attack subs waiting till after 2030 because Columbia class has to be built as our attack subs drop from down towards 48 with like a 1/3 being 1980s era Los Angeles class. So we’re reduced to hoping China doesn’t do anything or “we’ll build up overnight” if war happens. Same for Europe, the let their defense industry evaporate, even the French who are in the  top 5 arms dealer nations. I have a feeling non Ukraine related, regular US defense budgets which were +3% for FY 2024 not including inflation and +1% for 2025 not including inflation will mean another “you go to war with the Army you have” Rumsfeld situation later this decade and we’ll have high casualties as a result. So Ukraine won’t be the only one trying to manage with limited resources during a war. Congress has failed America and the price will be dead Americans.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#43]

My recollection of what the Pentagon officials told the press. https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2023/01/19/us-still-holds-back-long-range-atacms-missiles-from-ukraine/
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4955_jpeg-2981277.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4956_jpeg-2981280.JPG

Those were blatant lies then. Unless they consider a couple hundred cruise missiles that can only be launched from a couple of  operable Su-25 2-4 at a time enough for Ukraine. Which other strike capabilities has been provided in meaningful quantity that has the same reach?  

It is political, not “needed for war.”  If ATACMS were so vitally important why were 1,000 of the scant 2,400 not kept up to date for immediate use?

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-08-16/total-cost-of-joe-biden-s-inflation-reduction-act-is-rising-one-year-later?embedded-checkout=true
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Those were blatant lies then. Unless they consider a couple hundred cruise missiles that can only be launched from a couple of  operable Su-25 2-4 at a time enough for Ukraine. Which other strike capabilities has been provided in meaningful quantity that has the same reach?  

It is political, not “needed for war.”  If ATACMS were so vitally important why were 1,000 of the scant 2,400 not kept up to date for immediate use?

View Quote

Probably for the same reason are nuclear arsenal is in disrepair https://time.com/6212698/nuclear-missiles-icbm-triad-upgrade/
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#49]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7xSjxBa8AAd7qx?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7xSjxAbgAAazhJ?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7xSjxBbQAAid-U?format=jpg&name=large

I think it will be Putin's birthday, so Ukrainian forces might have birthday surprises.  
View Quote

Hitting that now with the cranes and other equipment present would be good. Even if just Storm Shadow again. Keep it disrupted and constrained.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#50]

I was referring to civilian. I think Ukraine has had some impact but not in a black or white fashion but rather in nuanced manner; some things, not others, some positive, some not positive but imo Ukraine aid is not the originator or cause of the situation you describe, which I agree with. I’ve argued in GD since 2017 that the USA was not prepared for a near peer war lasting more than 30 days. The Sec Nav said he’d update impact on USN from Ukraine aid in 6 months to a year from January and to date he hasn’t but the DOD released a press statement in late August if I recall stating Ukraine aid has not impacted readiness on the DOD as of that time. But even if I lean into Ukraine aid negatively, there was a time in which NSS laid out a 2 plus theater scenario. If Ukraine was the source of problems, it only highlights how badly we’ve gotten to the point to fight in a single theater with a single infantry brigade for Iraq/Syria and a infantry battalion for all of Africa. We have Virginia class attack subs waiting till after 2030 because Columbia class has to be built as our attack subs drop from down towards 48 with like a 1/3 being 1980s era Los Angeles class. So we’re reduced to hoping China doesn’t do anything or “we’ll build up overnight” if war happens. Same for Europe, the let their defense industry evaporate, even the French who are in the  top 5 arms dealer nations. I have a feeling non Ukraine related, regular US defense budgets which were +3% for FY 2024 not including inflation and +1% for 2025 not including inflation will mean another “you go to war with the Army you have” Rumsfeld situation later this decade and we’ll have high casualties as a result. So Ukraine won’t be the only one trying to manage with limited resources during a war. Congress has failed America and the price will be dead Americans.
View All Quotes

Good summary.

Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 4973 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top