Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5332 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Bulgarian and Romanian factories working around the clock undoubtedly contribute significantly to that number
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

Bulgarian and Romanian factories working around the clock undoubtedly contribute significantly to that number

That is what I have been hearing, plus Rheinmetal built a new plant in months to get going on their goal of 700,000 rounds per year for themselves.

I always wonder if UK is included in these European figures, because BAE has huge capacity and ultra modern facilities.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:44:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#2]
Good news.

It will become difficult for the Russians to get supplies of anything to the front if these are in sufficient quantities, they will crap on anything to 150km while gmlrs craps on anything to 80km.  A double crappifification of Russian logistics if you will.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Good news.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFHDPsiWQAAGF4i?format=jpg&name=900x900

It will become difficult for the Russians to get supplies of anything to the front if these are in sufficient quantities, they will crap on anything to 150km while gmlrs craps on anything to 80km.  A double crappifification of Russian logistics if you will.
View Quote

Good find..... And fucking finally.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#4]
Originally Posted By yekimak:

View All Quotes
Good news.

There was a lot of incentive to speed things up, good job for that team.

Look for a number of strikes on airfields and helicopter gunship farps, as well as big ammo depots getting hit.  This is going to hurt the Russians alot before the F-16's arrive later.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Look for a number of strikes on airfields and helicopter gunship farps, as well as big ammo depots getting hit.  This is going to hurt the Russians alot before the F-16's arrive later.
View All Quotes
Good news.

I am hoping this is somewhat like the storm shadow announcement....... Boom! Boom! Boom!...... Oh yeah, BTW, we authorized shipment to ukraine... Lol.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#6]

I am hoping this is somewhat like the storm shadow announcement....... Boom! Boom! Boom!...... Oh yeah, BTW, we authorized shipment to ukraine... Lol.
View All Quotes
Good news.

lol, it is good to see some good news, these have the chance to change the situation because of their range.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Good news.

View Quote

Ukraine will get how many? 12? 15?  

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By METT-T:

This is the DOD's horse: https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3657609/defense-innovation-official-says-replicator-initiative-remains-on-track/

I don't know if it makes sense to invest heavily in future FPV design and production. We may see a sharp decrease in the utility of FPV drones before this war ends. Autonomous drones are going to make them obsolete.

I have faith in the MIC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By METT-T:
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

He really highlights the disparity of drone production. The West apparently has not taken the reality of FPV drones to heart. After a year of intense use is there a single defense manufacturer, let alone several, that have jumped into producing 100,00 or 50,000 or even 10,000 drones per month? Including the engine and electronics?  Has a single western nation even asked its defense contractors to come up with designs and production plans for such?

As he points out, the West is still far behind the curve on artillery shells. NOBODY in power is taking it seriously this is the start of WW3 unless Russia is stopped decisively now. They are all thinking post-Ukraine as if that is some normal world state much like today!!!

This is the DOD's horse: https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3657609/defense-innovation-official-says-replicator-initiative-remains-on-track/

I don't know if it makes sense to invest heavily in future FPV design and production. We may see a sharp decrease in the utility of FPV drones before this war ends. Autonomous drones are going to make them obsolete.

I have faith in the MIC.

I don’t think autonomous FPV drones can completely replace piloted FPVs.  Even if there is a place for AI for terminal guidance to get around LOS problems, you probably need a pilot to set conditions and approach.  Yes there are a good percentage of instances (i.e. vehicle crossing open ground) an AI could make an effective attack.  However, if you watch a lot of video, there are also many instances showing a human pilot doing stuff that no AI could do, yet.  Beyond that, I think some of the typically unseen factors in FPV attacks need to be considered.  FPV attacks may look grossly like “a munition dives on the target and blammo,” but this is misleading.  99.9% of FPV videos don’t capture that the FPV pilot was probably briefed on the mission, probably is extremely familiar with the area and its challenges, and probably is being actively coached by a spotter pilot with a much better camera and relatively long-term situational awareness.  Take these away and FPV effectiveness IMO goes to shit.
After watching a lot of FPV footage it’s easy to distinguish newbs from pros.  Some of those guys are fuckin’ artists.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

View All Quotes
Good news.

That is the big question, we shall see, since it isn't ATACMS which wiped out 30% of Russian frontline aviation assets in a week, nor is it a ballistic missile.  So more might have been provided.  At least I hope.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

It's like a rock concert when those two batteries are burning up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
NSFW.

It's like a rock concert when those two batteries are burning up.

I saw that, it seemed rather ironic, like a party, but not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Old footage, but people wonder how the helicopter and aircraft unguided rocket lobbing works on enemy positions.

View Quote

So, on average, more or less accurate than the average GRAD battery launch? There must be some desired effect for both sides to keep doing it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:20:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#12]
Good news.

View Quote

Jeez, finally.  I wonder if they start shooting immediately or wait to build up enough to do a heavier barrage?
Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but Ukraine has actually contracted for these, right?  So they aren’t “aid” that can be shut off?
I really can’t wait to see the pain this will inflict on the Russian logistics system.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Conversations are intensifying that “either there is a truce before March 1, or we are going to storm Odessa and Nikolaev.” It sounds as if you were called to headquarters, stood in front of respected scroungers and asked: “Are you in your mouth or in your ass?” The choice between a “truce” and a “great military campaign” looks exactly like this.
The main problem of the “truce” is that there will be nothing of “peace” there. But the worst thing is that during the “truce” failures will be declared “successes”, after which the guilty will be rewarded and conclusions drawn strictly opposite from those necessary. I’m not saying that this hasn’t happened to us at all (with awards and conclusions), I’m even inclined to think that sometimes in our history this really hasn’t happened, for a short time and by accident, and the rest of the time that’s exactly what happened. But the scale of current mistakes and miscalculations probably has no analogues in our entire history. And to present these miscalculations as victories means dooming us to destruction. From this point of view, a “truce” in the form of an agreement (there can be no other way) is worse than defeat, because with defeat at least mistakes are admitted and non-working strategies are revised.

Second option. A large offensive campaign is impossible with current resources. Or rather, it is possible, but with it it will be impossible to maintain at least some semblance of strength and means in the end. Big mobilization? We discard it right away, because it is unrealistic. And China will not give Lend-Lease. In principle, our technology is getting worse, because in terms of quantitative and qualitative indicators, we were at our peak on February 24, 2022.

I’ll especially note the conversations (my favorite ones) about “what the army wants.” The army, if it is an army, wants what it is ordered to do. Otherwise, the “army” wants booze, vacations, positions and the whole package of immorality, wrapped up in something explanatory for the sake of decency. “Fighters, if you want, you can run off to storm the military somewhere.” Civilians will be surprised, but this doesn’t happen in the army. It's a shame, right?

But if you need to make sure that “the army wants”, for example, the same agreement (or “truce”), then such a desire can be achieved in an elementary way: let’s put equipment (especially new) aside, and go ahead, storm Nikolaev and Zaporozhye . And we will cross the Dnieper. With moral support instead of air support and saving on artillery. We will conduct reconnaissance during the offensive.

Two days of such “attack actions” - and the mood, so to speak, will begin to form in the army. In a week, the army will be left with nothing but sentiments. Then the “truce” will look like a completely tolerable option.

Therefore, I am not interested in this choice. Another thing is that the one who needs it is not interested, which is not interesting to me. And therefore, such turns cannot be ruled out.

A special greeting to the optimists who are now trying to throw their hats in the air higher than they did in Kyiv before the counter-offensive. Yes, we fought back. Yes, there is a heroic feat in this. And a heroic feat is the result of negligence, chaos and mistakes of those who are a little higher in rank. But there is no reason for objective joy. Because if Zhukov had joyfully reported to Stalin that “in a lightning-fast two-year raid we took an important village,” then the story of the glorious marshal would have reached us in a very different form. And if you count Marinka or Artemovsk as a percentage of losses from the total potential of the army, then even Kramatorsk and Slavyansk you will immediately want to count. Of the large cities after the blitzkrieg, we have only Kherson (although they surrendered, but did not take), Rostov and Voronezh (successfully captured from Wagner, with almost no losses). Well, this is kind of the result, not the best. So if anyone has gone into blank optimism, then take with you the red lines and the understanding that we have not yet seriously begun anything.

To tell the truth, our strategy is incomprehensible even to ourselves. This is convenient: without a victory strategy, everything can be passed off as victory, and spies will not be able to get hold of our main military secret. But there is one caveat. Two years of fighting without a strategy is already a record; we have no one else to compete with in this regard. But people are proud of their virginity at 16-18 years old, and not at 70-80 years old. Until there is a clear, understandable strategy, there will be no hope for positivity.

https://t.me/shouvalov/174

Basically none of the losses sustained are worth the territory conquered.

This is notable because even Russian military commentators acknowledge what folks have said what a lot of folks have been saying.

Losing hundreds of thousands of men to add new “people’s republics” when the plan was to conquer the entire country wasn’t worth it
View Quote

Especially when those hard "won" new territories have utterly destroyed infrastructure, houses, industry and most occupants are dead or displaced. Talk about a bad deal. They would be a huge pain for Ukraine to reclaim also but at least they have rich and sympathetic Western backers to help rebuild.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

So, on average, more or less accurate than the average GRAD battery launch? There must be some desired effect for both sides to keep doing it.
View All Quotes
Old footage, but people wonder how the helicopter and aircraft unguided rocket lobbing works on enemy positions.

Correct, though Ukrainian reports say the US supplied 70mm unguided Hydra rockets are more accurate.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#15]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Jeez, finally.  I wonder if they start shooting immediately or wait to build up enough to do a heavier barrage?
Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but Ukraine has actually contracted for these, right?  So they aren’t “aid” that can be shut off?
View All Quotes
Good news.

Yeah, a few things,

They were contracted over a year ago.

Though testing was done to make sure they are going to work as advertised, there is ongoing production for consistent supply, these aren't prototypes.

These are made from old m26 boosters that we did not discard on early sdb I GPS glide bombs.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:

I have no sense of style but that's one ugly ass compound. Totally out of place for the location.

What a waste of resources.
View Quote

Imagine what Trump, or any decent developer, could have produced at that incredibly beautiful location!!?? Could have been enjoyed by all Russians.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:31:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yekimak] [#17]
Dupe

Edit:

Just saw the conscription age was dropped from 27 to 25.maybe now we will see fewer "they've already lost, the average age of soldiers is 45" posts from resident amplifiers of rus propaganda.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#19]
lol, last fpv strike is a Chinese golf cart.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

View Quote

Correct, though Ukrainian reports say the US supplied 70mm unguided Hydra rockets are more accurate.
View Quote

Area of impacts is about 1 - 3  km long and up to 1 - 1.5 km wide, accuracy up to 3 km! Just a waste of ammo and aircrafts.  (Orc source, posted here IIRC)

Grad is way more accurate.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Eyewitnesses report a fire at Moscow CHPP-23 on Montazhnaya Street. Before this, locals heard a bang and a bright flash. Previously, the transformer exploded due to a short circuit.

Details are being confirmed. Experts are already studying the place.

https://t.me/breakingmash/51307

The situation near CHPP-23, on the territory of which a transformer exploded.
A full complement of firefighters, ambulances and police are already on duty nearby.

https://t.me/breakingmash/51308

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#23]
RAND realizing their table top wargame "simulation" using unrealistic system performance gave them unrealistic results.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RRA2031-1.html

All the participants had been involved in the design and execution of tabletop exercise (TTX) wargames involving Russia during the past eight years, mostly centered on the challenges facing a North Atlantic Treaty Organization defense of the Baltic states. The focus of their deliberations was understanding the reasons for the similarities and differences between how Russian forces had fared in those games and the relatively poor real-world performance of the Russian armed forces in Ukraine.  
View Quote

The differences and the similarities between the post-2014 Russia wargames and actual events in Ukraine are striking
In real life, Russian forces did not follow their planning principles, although they did achieve overwhelming superiority in some battles.

In the Baltic wargames, Russian ground forces greatly outnumbered the defenders and were consistently on the favorable side of even larger imbalances of heavy armor and artillery firepower.
Having expected Ukrainian resistance to collapse quickly, the Russian offensive was neither organized nor prepared to deal with staunch opposition; the Baltic games assumed that Moscow would prepare more seriously for a war against NATO.

In contrast, NATO countries were conspicuously united and energetic in helping Ukraine even though it was not an Alliance member.
The review revealed deficiencies in Russian performance to inform future wargames

Sustainment problems affected the Russian army in Ukraine from very early in the war. This aspect raises questions about the feasibility of sustaining a blitzkrieg advance to the Baltic capitals.
Fighting in Ukraine revealed a Russian force that was more poorly equipped and less well trained than expected and that could not employ capabilities at a large scale that it had demonstrated in miniature in Syria and the Donbas.

With regard to duration, the war in Ukraine has turned out to be far removed from the short, decisive military action that the Kremlin intended, or even the harder-fought Russian battlefield successes that often played out in the Baltic defense wargames.
View Quote

Or, they could have purchased Command Modern Operations (Harpoon 2 for us older guys) with the data analysis tool tacview for $80 and got much more realistic results.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:08:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#24]

For setting fire to joint ventures, dugouts, armored vehicles, and automotive equipment.
If it hits a horizontal part of a lightly armored vehicle, it can burn through it.
Works more reliably when dropped from low altitudes.
Cost 450 UAH/piece about 12 USD

Store in a dry place at room temperature"    
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#25]
We have little real insight into what’s going on and why from here.  Some generalizations which I think have been taken as fairly reliable thus far:
1)Zaluzhny and Zelensky don’t get along.
2)Zaluzhny and Syrsky don’t get along.
3)Zaluzhny has political ambitions, unknown to what end.
4)Zaluzhny said to be well-liked and very competent.
5)Syrsky said to be not well-liked and not very competent.
6)Syrsky wants Zaluzhny’s job.
7)It is in Russia’s interests to sow discord, increase discord, and present the impression of discord within Ukraine.  That should always be taken into account.

Now, whether the above things are true, how much they are true, or how much they represent national propaganda (Ukrainian or Russian), or internal propaganda (i.e. Zaluzhny, Zelensky, or Syrski) is a pretty interesting set of questions.

My own observations:
1)Zaluzhny hasn’t shown anything directly that I know of to indicate he’s a stellar commander.  He may be well-liked, but that doesn’t necessarily translate into success.
2)Given that we don’t have much direct evidence of Zaluzhny being highly competent and Syrski being incompetent, the statements we hear along these lines could also be consistent with Zaluzhny protecting his job and/or setting himself up for a run at the Presidency.
3)The 2023 counteroffensive was not well planned and ineffective for reasons we probably won’t fully know for years, however, this outcome sits on Zaluzhny’s desk.
4)The parts of the Ukrainian war effort that are showing excellent results are:  the Naval/missile campaign on the Black Sea (Ukrainian Navy, SBU, and AF), the SOF/asymmetric campaign (Budyanov and probably others), the international PR/coalition effort (Zelensky), and the SAM battalions.  Of course the Ukrainian ground forces as a whole deserve credit for incredible tenacity, but if we’re looking for the top performers, I think you have to look in those areas first.
View Quote

We also don't know how much 'NATO partners' leaned on Zaluzhny to direct the failed counteroffensive. We heard that Ukraine failed to follow advice that was given, which we don't know details about. We do know Ukraine was not given the resources/equipment needed to execute US doctrine for breaching barriers, yet they apparently were told that was what their offensive was going to be? There are a lot of moving parts here, and I'd say we don't know very much about most of them. Zaluzhny and Zelensky have the hardest jobs in the world right now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:01:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H1-HUMMER] [#26]
Hotshot driver delivered my stuff today and had this sausage maker on his trailer
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCM3ZGW4AEbC7H?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCNEWIXQAEDKUG?format=jpg&name=largehttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCNEWHWcAADo0J?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCO3EVWcAAQpUO?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPNBcWgAAFRY9?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPWjFXwAApA2I?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPhsFXcAAdVXC?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCPk1uXAAECXu3?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCP61uXQAA_0sJ?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQCh-X0AAsi53?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQINMXwAA4L3i?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQM-AWcAAO2qh?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQQ_8WAAIlQfC?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQbDtXEAAkrzx?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCQi3-W8AARZKL?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFCRB-AXsAAMTYT?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Pretty modest compared to the Black Sea palace located in Krasnodar Krai. Reportedly, that one cost over a billion dollars.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

That was a huge missed opportunity. Response: "Kherson is Ukraine. Zaporozhia is Ukraine. Donetsk is Ukraine. Luhansk is Ukraine. Crimea is Ukraine. Russia agreed to all of this in formal agreements and treaties 30 years ago. This is international law agreed to by Russia. Mariupol is Ukraine. Kharkiv is Ukraine. Odessa is Ukraine. Kyiv is Ukraine. Russian nazi, go fuck yourself."

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Bama_Rebel:
I wouldn't use the word forbidden. We did bomb the north. Of course this caused them to bury Oil and gas supply lines. There wasn't a huge benefit to bombing Northern targets, there wasn't much industry to destroy. They were being supplied by russia and china. The SAM's and Migs's made it so costly that there wasn't much strategic value.
View Quote

Historical sidebar: most of the war, the US did not bomb North Vietnam. Only when we started massive bombing of targets in the North did they accept negotiations.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Historical sidebar: most of the war, the US did not bomb North Vietnam. Only when we started massive bombing of targets in the North did they accept negotiations.
View Quote

Did we ever mine Hanoi harbor or attack shipping in the harbor?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:05:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#31]

I didn't include the first one, for reasons. If you're really keen, you can look it up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#32]

Interesting that particular one was published in 1941. Before or after Pearl Harbor?  My guess is before. While Europe was being smashed by Nazis and populations obliterated and imprisoned the US was largely “Nunna muh bidness.”  That worked out so much cheaper to not stop Hitler and Stalin in Czechoslovakia or Poland but instead wait for London to be in smoke and ruin. /s

History may not rhyme but it sure as fuck repeats itself.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTF:
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfVEEnwI2w

Incredible, now it's personal after 180+ direct attacks repeatedly on our bases for over 4 months.  

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GE8qeDmWgAAs4_e?format=jpg&name=900x900

We still won’t attack Iranians over this.

We have enemies of the United States in high govt positions.

I understand,  but there are calls from the GOP to hit Iran proper from this incident.  We shall see, because the equation changes when dead service members are involved.  

If this happens, it would be a great opportunity for US air power to destroy the Iranian drone industry, the rocket production facilities, etc.

That is one of the primary reasons I think Biden won’t strike targets like that—it would directly weaken Russia and Biden/Sullivan/Whitehouse/Obama’s Teleprompter absolutely want to keep Putin in power and happy. Besides Biden is still following Valerie Jarret’s pro-Iran policies.

That was one powerful Teleprompter to be able to control two administrations!

Biden’s inclination will be to do nothing.

However, that will make him look very weak in an election year with his approval rating already swirling the drain.

He will be forced to act.  I expect to be underwhelmed.  It will be something token.

Exactly.

And this precisely the golden goose opportunity along with Ukraine the Repubs should be latching onto in unison to show leadership and a strong American presence.

Biden only looks weak if the Repubs look strong. So far his milquetoast foreign policy looks “moderate” compared to the Repub disarray-do-nothing “strategy.”

I had to look that up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspar_Milquetoast
"Caspar Milquetoast is a fictional character created by H. T. Webster for his comic strip The Timid Soul.[1] Webster described Caspar Milquetoast as "the man who speaks softly and gets hit with a big stick". The character's name is derived from a bland and fairly inoffensive food, milk toast, which, light and easy to digest, is an appropriate food for someone with a weak or "nervous" stomach. "

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUPmG_gVwAAcU4z?format=jpg&name=900x900

Interesting that particular one was published in 1941. Before or after Pearl Harbor?  My guess is before. While Europe was being smashed by Nazis and populations obliterated and imprisoned the US was largely “Nunna muh bidness.”  That worked out so much cheaper to not stop Hitler and Stalin in Czechoslovakia or Poland but instead wait for London to be in smoke and ruin. /s

History may not rhyme but it sure as fuck repeats itself.

“America always does the right thing….   …after she’s tried everything else.”
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Good news.

View Quote

Hopefully all moving or stored logistics get smashed as well as ALL artillery and MLRS. I believe this makes most helicopter bases within range as well. Fuel depots and oil/gas infrastructure.

It should be glorious!

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Dupe

Edit:

Just saw the conscription age was dropped from 27 to 25.maybe now we will see fewer "they've already lost, the average age of soldiers is 45" posts from resident amplifiers of rus propaganda.
View Quote

It should be 18.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Hopefully all moving or stored logistics get smashed as well as ALL artillery and MLRS. I believe this makes most helicopter bases within range as well. Fuel depots and oil/gas infrastructure.

It should be glorious!

View Quote

I wish they announced around 3 days after they started being used
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Good news.

View Quote

Good news.    Finally!
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Need to watch for this though.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#40]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFHYjaJW4AA40q7?format=jpg&name=medium
View All Quotes

For setting fire to joint ventures, dugouts, armored vehicles, and automotive equipment.
If it hits a horizontal part of a lightly armored vehicle, it can burn through it.
Works more reliably when dropped from low altitudes.
Cost 450 UAH/piece about 12 USD

Store in a dry place at room temperature"    

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFHYjaJW4AA40q7?format=jpg&name=medium

Looks like a lot cheaper and perhaps more readily available materials for scaling up production. Besides its effect on armor, landing on one the helmet or in the laps will bring a new level of NSFW. Perhaps UNSFW for “Ultra?”  Yow.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:

It should be glorious!

💯
It would be great to have all of us guessing why there is a 150km deep smoke ring along Russias border for a few days as fuel farms, substations, depots, and airfields roil in black smoke. Then confirm.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#43]

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#44]

It should be 18.
View All Quotes
Dupe

Edit:

It should be 18.

25/27 is the upper bound for the obligation to register with the draft office, like the Selective Service registration in the U S, except it's universal, the lower bound is unchanged at 18.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Hmmm wonder if the Bayraktar can carry those glide bombs ..
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Video in tweet.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#47]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
Hmmm wonder if the Bayraktar can carry those glide bombs ..
View Quote

Unfortunately not, they are still too heavy for it.  You need miniature munition systems instead.  Or this more powerful or larger drone.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#48]

We also don't know how much 'NATO partners' leaned on Zaluzhny to direct the failed counteroffensive. We heard that Ukraine failed to follow advice that was given, which we don't know details about. We do know Ukraine was not given the resources/equipment needed to execute US doctrine for breaching barriers, yet they apparently were told that was what their offensive was going to be? There are a lot of moving parts here, and I'd say we don't know very much about most of them. Zaluzhny and Zelensky have the hardest jobs in the world right now.
View All Quotes
We have little real insight into what’s going on and why from here.  Some generalizations which I think have been taken as fairly reliable thus far:
1)Zaluzhny and Zelensky don’t get along.
2)Zaluzhny and Syrsky don’t get along.
3)Zaluzhny has political ambitions, unknown to what end.
4)Zaluzhny said to be well-liked and very competent.
5)Syrsky said to be not well-liked and not very competent.
6)Syrsky wants Zaluzhny’s job.
7)It is in Russia’s interests to sow discord, increase discord, and present the impression of discord within Ukraine.  That should always be taken into account.

Now, whether the above things are true, how much they are true, or how much they represent national propaganda (Ukrainian or Russian), or internal propaganda (i.e. Zaluzhny, Zelensky, or Syrski) is a pretty interesting set of questions.

My own observations:
1)Zaluzhny hasn’t shown anything directly that I know of to indicate he’s a stellar commander.  He may be well-liked, but that doesn’t necessarily translate into success.
2)Given that we don’t have much direct evidence of Zaluzhny being highly competent and Syrski being incompetent, the statements we hear along these lines could also be consistent with Zaluzhny protecting his job and/or setting himself up for a run at the Presidency.
3)The 2023 counteroffensive was not well planned and ineffective for reasons we probably won’t fully know for years, however, this outcome sits on Zaluzhny’s desk.
4)The parts of the Ukrainian war effort that are showing excellent results are:  the Naval/missile campaign on the Black Sea (Ukrainian Navy, SBU, and AF), the SOF/asymmetric campaign (Budyanov and probably others), the international PR/coalition effort (Zelensky), and the SAM battalions.  Of course the Ukrainian ground forces as a whole deserve credit for incredible tenacity, but if we’re looking for the top performers, I think you have to look in those areas first.

all very good points IMO

this is extremely complicated, protracted multi-dimensional warfare

given that Ukraine is operating with numerous deficiencies -- lack of adequate air power, no airlift capability, lacking engineering equipment and munitions, integrating multitudes of random donated systems, etc -- and under prolonged assault via missiles across their country i continue to be impressed by their tenacity and agility

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#49]
Originally Posted By darkd0r:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By darkd0r:

Haiphong harbor. Not until 1972, when we were already on the way out. It was another lever to induce negotiations.

Funny how when you start pounding the absolute shit out of an enemy, they become much more amenable to talks. I don't see that playing out here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#50]

He really highlights the disparity of drone production. The West apparently has not taken the reality of FPV drones to heart. After a year of intense use is there a single defense manufacturer, let alone several, that have jumped into producing 100,00 or 50,000 or even 10,000 drones per month? Including the engine and electronics?  Has a single western nation even asked its defense contractors to come up with designs and production plans for such?

As he points out, the West is still far behind the curve on artillery shells. NOBODY in power is taking it seriously this is the start of WW3 unless Russia is stopped decisively now. They are all thinking post-Ukraine as if that is some normal world state much like today!!!

View All Quotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA7LZgX21sg

Latest assessment from Col. Reisner. English subtitels are available.  

I'm of the opinion that Ukraine is much more likely to achieve their goal of 100k drones per month than the rooskies. I say that because it occurs to me that ChinaIsAsshoe is selling to both sides. And, they are very particular about what chips/avionics/etc they are selling to the Russians. Ukraine has access to EU components and other western producing nations (US, Japan, Australia, Korea, Canada, Mexico, etc.) as well that Russia doesn't.

While Russia supposedly has this vast industrial complex, it is irrelevant to the production of drones. It's the same reason why LockMart isn't going to turn their Ft. Worth factory into a drone maker. It makes no sense for a company with a mile-long bomber plant to be making meter-long aircraft. And, the Russian version of that is compounded by the graft and corruption that scales with size. Bigger factory/production, more graft and corruption.

Chris Anderson (founder of 3D Robotics amongst other things) had a really good talk on scaling drone production years ago where he talked about the supply chain. I'll see if I can find that talk and/or his chart where he laid out the problem 3DR had with scaling up their manufacturing to compete against DJI. Bottom line back then was ChinaIsAsshoe was the only place with enough capacity to scale and priority was given to Chinese companies (like DJI) first, leaving everyone else to fight over what was left.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5332 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top