Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5447 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EasTexan:
Is anyone else getting the feeling things are about to escalate?
View Quote

If by bad feelings you mean good feelings, we can always hope.
Putin has been relying on pants-pissing cowardice in the west for two years now.  It’s well past time to apply some deterrence.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/ddljqd4.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/6eDKdh6.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/cGXqTmh.jpeg

Skyranger 30 A3

The Gepard successor for the German Bundeswehr.

They ordered 19...

View Quote

Probably a good step up for capability, logistics, and maintenance.  One more capable gun with more capable ammo, and half the maintenance burden of two guns.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Good.
But I’d actually be happier if the FFL was released to get medieval on Wagner in Africa at the same time.
View Quote

Fun fact, French Foreign Legion is about 40% Eastern Europeans 2018 stats.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Kingsmen:
Are we sure all these su-34 losses are real?  Seems like there's no proof given for most of them lately.  When the a-50 went down we all saw the footage and a giant flaming wreckage, same for the earlier su-34 shoot downs.

Makes me wonder if Ukraine is trying to improve front line morale by saying the su-34s glide bombing them are gone.  

I normally wouldn't suspect this, but zelenskies ridiculous 31k dead figure got me wondering.  If they're doing so well, taking down Russians at a 13-1 ratio and downing fighters daily why do they keep saying everything is so dire, and that they'll lose if we don't immediately step up.

If things are going bad they need to tell the truth so we'll realize the urgency of the situation.  Instead all I see are red x su-34s daily and endless scenes of Russians getting helplessly massacred by fpv drones.
View Quote

There was secondary proof of some of them.
First there were purported satellite beacons (reported by the Ukrainians) at three crash sites on one day.
Then, says later, satellite photos confirmed burned fields in locations corresponding to the beacons.
So one instance of three simultaneous kills in the same area are pretty well confirmed, as much as we are likely to ever get.
I haven’t seen direct evidence of the rest.
I think that the 31K figure is drastically low, and the number is probably closer to 90K.
I also think the west’s publicly released figures are drastically low for both sides but especially the Russians.  I think we know quite well what the real losses are.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By voyager3:

Fun fact, French Foreign Legion is about 40% Eastern Europeans 2018 stats.
View Quote

Another fun fact, when this war started, all Ukrainians serving in the Legion were allowed to break their contract if they wanted to leave to fight for Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Right at the end of the video it looks like Ukrainian troops coming in from the left. I wonder if that is a future video?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Great footage, watch for the FPV hover around the IFV after it leaves the troops off and runs back.  Then a Bradley comes and wipes out the infantry, NSFW.

Right at the end of the video it looks like Ukrainian troops coming in from the left. I wonder if that is a future video?

Probably not.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#7]
?????? ???????????? ?? ???????????? ????????. ???????

Desertcross Demolition Derby, jagga remix.
??????:???? ?? ????? 2024 ?.????? ??????-414 ???.??? ???????? ??????.??? ?? 5 ???????-1006 ???????

???????? ?????? ??????? ?????? 501 ???????? ?????????? ???????? ??????

Combat GoPro | Foreign Fighters Pounded in Tiny Trench

?ERRA ?? ???????????? ????????. ?????? ?????? ???????-?????????
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

I have the same feeling. I posted about things getting interesting like ten pages back. We are at a weird phase. Some munitions are probably running low but other new things are coming on line. The Ukrainians are learning how to best use the brads and other things we have given them. The F16s and GLSDB's or air launched are going to cause some havoc. Himars ammo is probably low allowing for Russian's to move troops and equipment to the front giving them a false sense of security.

Russian troops and equipment are getting degraded so they are fielding less capable armor and apcs. So you get videos like the one of the brad just cleaning up their attempts at getting soldiers to the front. The cities and towns give them some cover but in the fields they get fucked badly. Once Ukraine can really start hammering them with longer range fire i think russia will have to give up gains and possibly risk a breakthrough somewhere. This will cause a shitload of issues with the Generals and Putin. They will then increase fighter/bomber sorties close to the front and they will get hammered by whatever frankensam Ukraine has cooked up recently.

But russia is also producing new stuff and there will be surprises there as well. And who knows if they escalate to massive bombardment or bio/chem or something else. I haven't seen a gas mask anywhere. I think that will change.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By theskuh:
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:
Originally Posted By EasTexan:
Is anyone else getting the feeling things are about to escalate?

Yep, I'm having the same thoughts when I see the numbers of destroyed material on both sides.

When the mud season is over, the Orcs will push with everything they have.

What does escalation look like?

Thoughts?

Maybe a really massive drone and cruise missile attack followed by an aerial attack with 100 or more planes.

Or a huge meat wave attack with thousands of soldiers.

I don't know, it's just a feeling in my guts.

I have the same feeling. I posted about things getting interesting like ten pages back. We are at a weird phase. Some munitions are probably running low but other new things are coming on line. The Ukrainians are learning how to best use the brads and other things we have given them. The F16s and GLSDB's or air launched are going to cause some havoc. Himars ammo is probably low allowing for Russian's to move troops and equipment to the front giving them a false sense of security.

Russian troops and equipment are getting degraded so they are fielding less capable armor and apcs. So you get videos like the one of the brad just cleaning up their attempts at getting soldiers to the front. The cities and towns give them some cover but in the fields they get fucked badly. Once Ukraine can really start hammering them with longer range fire i think russia will have to give up gains and possibly risk a breakthrough somewhere. This will cause a shitload of issues with the Generals and Putin. They will then increase fighter/bomber sorties close to the front and they will get hammered by whatever frankensam Ukraine has cooked up recently.

But russia is also producing new stuff and there will be surprises there as well. And who knows if they escalate to massive bombardment or bio/chem or something else. I haven't seen a gas mask anywhere. I think that will change.

Great post.  I appreciate you laying it out.  I do wonder what comes next.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
✈️A-50 is not in the sky for the fourth day. This helps to destroy Russian planes, - Yuriy Ignat, the spokesman of the Armed Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine

The occupiers come to the conclusion that there is nothing to mess around with in our Sea of ​​Azov. In this way they pushed away. It is clear that the enemy receives less information about our radar stations, anti-aircraft defenses that emit radiation. The enemy detects the latter with the help of an air radar, which is the A-50.

https://t.me/bochkala_war/17953

Z-aviation blogger Fighterbomber (Captain Ilya Tumanov) repeats the mantra for Russian pilots: "everything will be fine." But there is a nuance.
Everything will be fine, but certainly not with Russian pilots.

https://t.me/informnapalm/20735

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

The burning vehicle is different from the BTR-80 that dropped off the troops. It had tracks and the treeline around it is completely different from where the BTR got hit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:
Great footage, watch for the FPV hover around the IFV after it leaves the troops off and runs back.  Then a Bradley comes and wipes out the infantry, NSFW.

The burning vehicle is different from the BTR-80 that dropped off the troops. It had tracks and the treeline around it is completely different from where the BTR got hit.

It is, but if you compare :48 and :59, they are in the same general area.  You can tell from the wide detour track that leaves then rejoins the road.
My guess is that:
BTR drops off Russians, gets damaged by FPVs which you can actually see a few times buzzing around it, and is abandoned.
Then the Bradley quickly shows up and starts chopping the infantry to pieces.
Russians see this and send a tank down the same road to deal with the Bradley, tank runs over mine or hit by FPV and goes kablooey.
Meanwhile the BTR is recovered or remanned and gets away.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:27:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#11]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:32:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Options to consider;

Expelling all Russian citizens from western counties and closing their embassies.

Blockading all commercial traffic into and out of Russia proper.

Cutting all western economic activity with Russian border states that still trade with Russia.

Invading Transnistria and confiscating all of their stored ammo. Trade those captured Russian soldiers for Ukrainians held in Russia.

Capture or kill any Russians or their vessels that are anywhere close to allied communication, electrical or gas lines.

Cause accidents involving North Korean arms shipments on the high seas and rail lines.

Sabotage N Korean arms factories, including sea-based drone launches. An armada of inflammatory drones launched from sea could make for a romantically lit evening.

Strike Iranian drone facilities and missile factories, leveling them to the ground.

Do as much of this as mysteriously as possible, blatantly when no other option exists.

All of these parties know exactly what they are doing and what they are risking when doing so. It falls on us to make the risk painful.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:37:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alex9661] [#14]
Vulkan, Ukrainian designed AK74 based bullpup.
Enable subtitles, then Settings-Auto translate- English

??????????? ??????? "??????" #fakeguns #nogun
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:37:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

I wonder how good or bad their Damage Control is. AFAIK, they haven't had a severe at sea casualty in a long time. Ours apparently went to shit after WWII, and those lessons were relearned after the USS Forrestal fire off of Vietnam. USS Stark, USS Roberts, USS Cole plus the numerous collisions have shown that we still know how to do it. Not to mention the two subs that hit sea mountains and made it home.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
Live, true hypersonic round with the HGV under the nose shroud.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHjeOnKWoAAbacM?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHjeOn6WcAAxMt-?format=jpg&name=large

How many of these babies are needed to sink three Chinese carriers?

I wonder how good or bad their Damage Control is. AFAIK, they haven't had a severe at sea casualty in a long time. Ours apparently went to shit after WWII, and those lessons were relearned after the USS Forrestal fire off of Vietnam. USS Stark, USS Roberts, USS Cole plus the numerous collisions have shown that we still know how to do it. Not to mention the two subs that hit sea mountains and made it home.

Did the Chinese ever say what happened to their sub last year?

Missing Chinese nuke sub
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#17]

?format=jpg&name=large" />

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:22:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Regarding the 20 plus bodies around a Russian tank posted earlier.

View All Quotes
Regarding the 20 plus bodies around a Russian tank posted earlier.

“In fact, a whole platoon was ambushed there. It was near Stepove, the higher command, of course, should be asked questions if there was an ambush. If those were cluster munitions, then it’s stupid to blame anyone.”

Usually with drones. Artillery, or DPICM, wounded or walking dead have time to move to cover, scatter, or clump up in low areas.
Looks more like a GMLRS strike that just dropped everyone where they stood.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:50:10 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Ah, the trolling is gold.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:06:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the English translation Prime, an unfortunate leak, it seems legit to me.

From the data for the Taurus missiles and the mission planning for their waypoints around Russian air defense systems using both German and Ukrainian info.

View Quote

It seems to me (with no professional AD knowledge) that the intention of the leak was for the political implications (Escalation!  Direct involvement!) not the technical implications.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:32:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#22]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Ukraine made the naval drones sinking Russian warships 'deadlier' by arming them with bigger warheads, general says

Exploding drone boats, one of Ukraine's more innovative weapons as it battles Russia's Black Sea Fleet without a proper navy, have become even bigger threats over time.

Ukrainian naval drones have been used to damage and sink Russian warships, as well as target infrastructure, since their introduction in 2022. The hits have been increasingly devastating.

A general in the Security Service of Ukraine, or SBU, said these systems have received major upgrades over the course of the war and are now "stronger, more efficient, and deadlier" than they were before.

"In 2024, we have completely different parameters for drones," Brig. Gen. Ivan Lukashevych, whose team has carried out a handful of the drone boat operations, said in translated remarks shared with Business Insider.

"Especially compared to the ones we first tested in October 2022 to attack Russian warships in the Sevastopol Bay," he said. "We realized the flaws with those first drafts, but the manufacturer could not foresee these things, because at that time there was no expertise in the world for such highly technical drones."

To compensate for its lack of a navy, Ukraine has sought to develop what it calls "the world's first fleet of naval drones." That effort is centered around an uncrewed surface vessel, or USV, called Sea Baby. Kyiv is attempting to build up an arsenal of these systems and recently launched a fundraising initiative to secure donations to purchase dozens of additional Sea Babies for the SBU.

These drones have been deployed in numerous operations around the Black Sea, damaging and destroying Russian warships — including one just a few weeks ago — and even hitting a key bridge that links the occupied Crimean peninsula with mainland Russia.

Experts have said the cheap and remotely operated Sea Babies give Ukraine an asymmetric advantage against Russia, which has been unable to consistently stop them. And while that hasn't stopped Moscow from trying to adapt to this threat, Kyiv is staying ahead by giving the drones upgrades.

The first modification to the Sea Babies that Lukashevych presented was an increase in warhead size; according to the Ukrainian government, the drones are capable of delivering a heavy explosive payload of nearly 1,900 pounds. The next notable upgrade was "an improvement in seaworthiness," ensuring they could sail in waves of nearly five feet.

The third improvement was making sure the Sea Babies could travel a distance twice as far as that between Odesa, a port city in southern Ukraine, and Sevastopol on Crimea's southwestern coast. In a straight line across the Black Sea, it is roughly 190 miles between the two cities. The drones now have a range of over 600 miles, putting a lot more Russian targets in reach.

Ukraine also "wanted to make them reusable, to be both cheaper and more efficient," Lukashevych said.

Beyond physically upgrading its Sea Baby drones, the SBU also uses multiple locations to manufacture and test the drones. There are constant relocations, and special operations are even carried out from different command posts in different areas — all to stay ahead of the Russians.

The naval drone attacks have ultimately helped Ukraine batter Russia's Black Sea Fleet, even forcing some of it to relocate farther away from its headquarters in Crimea, and open up a maritime corridor in the region.

Last month, Ukraine said it had destroyed or damaged dozens of Russian warships since the full-scale invasion began more than two years ago, and as of early this month, Ukraine had effectively destroyed about a third of the Black Sea Fleet.

"If there is a threat," Lukashevych said, "we will definitely find it, localize it, and destroy it."

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-made-naval-drones-deadlier-larger-warheads-general-says-2024-3

View Quote

I highly doubt the drones I’ve seen video of are carrying 1900 pound warheads.  1000 tops, and more likely 500-750 IMO.
From watching all the available drone videos I think all of their problems (in their control, other than enemy action) were down to these issues:
1)fusing, with the contact fuse simply not being very reliable.  They need a better fuse with command backup and an end-of-mission detonator.
2)drone operators apparently being confused about the aspect they were looking at, despite it being clear enough to me from watching, causing them to “hunt around” in heading instead of just boring in for a hit.  Several videos show operators dicking around within 50 yards of a target instead of getting a hit.  Several of these drones have probably been lost to small-arms fire which could’ve easily gotten hits.
3)drone operators not understanding own speed/ship speed, not “leading” the target in heading/not approaching from a forward heading, and getting into a “pursuit curve” that ends up running up the ship’s wake, gives the ship more time to shoot at them, and prevents a solid broadside hit.  Frankly they need a basic SIM that they can play on to get this down.
4)Better knowledge of naval engineering to inform their targeting.  Yes, they should be running hammer-and-anvil.  But they also appear to choose to run into the same damage hole with questionable results.  If the target is helpless, more hits on one side will capsize it, guaranteed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:16:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Evintos:
Document From 2022 Reveals Putin’s Punishing Terms for Peace

Archive link - non-pay wall

Excerpt in spoiler
Click To View Spoiler

Alternate link from Kyiv Independent (referencing the WSJ article).
https://kyivindependent.com/wsj-russias-peace-terms-include-ukraine-outside-nato-limited-military-2022-document-shows/
View Quote

Nothing at all surprising there, Russia wants Ukraine to “disarm for peace” so they can wipe their ass on the piece of paper and invade again when the Ukrainians can’t defend themselves.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

The 25mm gun turns cover into concealment, then it turns the concealment into dust and leaves Orcs' broken bodies strewn everywhere.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Originally Posted By Banditman:

That video was the best I ever saw regarding hits from the Bradley main gun.

The 25mm gun turns cover into concealment, then it turns the concealment into dust and leaves Orcs' broken bodies strewn everywhere.

Yeah it looks like one was icepicked by a 25mm APDS round after it passed through cover.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#25]

It will be interesting to find the actual date the F-16's arrived.  I suspect they aren't there yet, because you will see the biggest Russian ballistic and cruise missile tantrum you have ever seen.  Worse than when Patriot first arrived.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:
Are we sure all these su-34 losses are real?  Seems like there's no proof given for most of them lately.  When the a-50 went down we all saw the footage and a giant flaming wreckage, same for the earlier su-34 shoot downs.

Makes me wonder if Ukraine is trying to improve front line morale by saying the su-34s glide bombing them are gone.  

I normally wouldn't suspect this, but zelenskies ridiculous 31k dead figure got me wondering.  If they're doing so well, taking down Russians at a 13-1 ratio and downing fighters daily why do they keep saying everything is so dire, and that they'll lose if we don't immediately step up.

If things are going bad they need to tell the truth so we'll realize the urgency of the situation.  Instead all I see are red x su-34s daily and endless scenes of Russians getting helplessly massacred by fpv drones.

You realize Russian channels whine about it as well right?

Also, very recently some Russian sources like Fighter-bomber were told by the Russian govt. to stop confirming Russian aircraft losses or else.

On topic of the recent RU losses, the Austrian Colonel said that the F-16s are already operating in Ukraine.

It will be interesting to find the actual date the F-16's arrived.  I suspect they aren't there yet, because you will see the biggest Russian ballistic and cruise missile tantrum you have ever seen.  Worse than when Patriot first arrived.

IMO it depends on how many are there.  For example, if there were just 4 of them with AIM-120-Ds, they could be extracting the level of Russian fighter losses we see, while essentially being a needle in the haystack to find and target.
If they’re all in at once they might make a faster difference but they will also be easier to find and easier to hit.
Maybe the best bet is to have a limited number and just bleed Russian airpower for a while - low-risk, medium reward.  Then once you’ve bloodied their nose for a few months start working more in to work over ground targets.
This might coincide with a likely Russian Spring offensive.  There probably isn’t a lot going on now, but in two months having a bunch of F-16s ready to JDAM troop concentrations could make for a bloodbath.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#26]

You understood correctly. The first part of my post yesterday has begun to be fulfilled.
The ranks of the valiant Aerospace Forces of Russia were replenished with the new aircraft RLDNiU A-50U. 😎

Good morning Country!

https://t.me/fighter_bomber/15866

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:13:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#27]
Interrogation in captivity of our Soldier 73 of the Special Operations Forces Center.
The state must take great care to bring the Warrior home.
Capture is one of the worst things that can happen to Ukrainian fighters. Each of them is in the hands of inhumans and torturers, and this should be remembered.
This is our Elite and for the enemies it is a lever. They know about it and will use it to the fullest extent.
We wish endurance and stability to our Warrior. We wish you a quick return home.
We are proud. We know. We hope and believe.

https://t.me/ukrainian_militant/21610

Twitter video

Senior sailor Evgeny Gorin, a surviving participant in the landing of the 73rd MCSSO on the Tendra Spit.

As we expected, the group had the task of going straight to the lighthouse.

Gorin reports that there were 7 people in each boat, the boats were supposed to form a battle formation a kilometer from the shore, but the boats lined up 300 meters before the lighthouse, which also had to be machine gunned. Thus, one of the four boats had 6 machine guns, which was supposed to cover the landing in the event of the appearance of “Raptors”/BK-16 from the direction of the Iron Port.

100 meters from the shore, after the boats came under fire, the detachment commander gave the command to retreat. But at the same time, the boats continued to be shot from the shore.

https://t.me/okspn/29728

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

🫡 The next day, February 27, the gunner of this M2 Bradley crew, Oleg Gilzhynskyi, on the pseudo "Vuyko" died

🤝 According to his comrades, they saved many fighters - both those who had to be evacuated and those who had to be covered during the underground assault.

🕯 Eternal memory of the warrior!

https://t.me/DeepStateUA/18971

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Ukrainian military Kriegsforscher is once again publishing exclusive photos of Russian casualties. This time it is the Avdiivka direction.

One interesting thing to note is that the enemy is actively using T-62 tanks even without ERA. And they are not used to fire from closed positions, as the katsaps say, but are directly involved in assaults. Also, MT-LB with a mine trawl, I have never seen anything like it.

https://t.me/combatfootageua/13502

Many, many images.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#30]
The enemy complains that the Russian army is “stealing” their Internet.
Thus, due to the growth of Russian subscribers of the Starlink satellite Internet along the front line, the data transfer speed of Ukrainian subscribers began to decrease.

Military Informant

https://t.me/milinfolive/117472

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Ukrainian military Kriegsforscher is once again publishing exclusive photos of Russian casualties. This time it is the Avdiivka direction.

One interesting thing to note is that the enemy is actively using T-62 tanks even without ERA. And they are not used to fire from closed positions, as the katsaps say, but are directly involved in assaults. Also, MT-LB with a mine trawl, I have never seen anything like it.

https://t.me/combatfootageua/13502

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHmI2tXWkAAU2Nj?format=jpg&name=large

Many, many images.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHmNLNUWAAA5Chi?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHmMfsuWEAAtzL8?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

I wouldn’t want to be in that MT-LB when the trawl sets off an AT mine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:31:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jough43] [#32]
If France, Poland or any other countries choose to put boots on the ground, I might suggest an easy approach first:  Transnistria and Kaliningrad.  Russia cannot defend either one.  Putin would be beyond furious, but not be able to do much about it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#33]

“Widely deployed autonomous weapons integrated with other aspects of AI could result in a new era of machine-driven warfare…The end state of this competition will likely be war executed at machine speed & beyond human control.”
View Quote

Sort of like  the opening stages of WWI on meth.  Really dangerous with Russia's "Escalate to Deescalate" foreign policy.  You hit the "on" button and you are through all of the DEFCONs and the shooting begins and the canned sunshine is in the air before the leadership even know it is happening.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Ukrainian Air Defense Unit:

Russian Special Forces get dropped off:

Russia successfully attacked the S-1 Pantsir complex:

Ukrainian anti-drone system:

Mopping up of the private sector in Krasnohorivka by soldiers of the 3rd company of the 1st assault battalion and soldiers of the 1st company of the 2nd assault battalion of the 3rd OShBr 🇺🇦
During the hostilities, our soldiers got hold of a Russian walkie-talkie, through which the conversations of the enemy and the officers' team could be heard.
To the question: "How is the situation?" the answer was "Holy shit."
Heavy losses were inflicted on the enemy - about 100 Russian soldiers were killed and the city was recaptured from the enemy.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:01:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#35]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

Great post.  I appreciate you laying it out.  I do wonder what comes next.
View Quote

This is just my totally uneducated feelings from watching this thing for years. I could be far off but I think seeing the recent Abrams and mine plow losses that they are trying them out and seeing what they can do under fire preparing for something this summer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Evintos:
Document From 2022 Reveals Putin’s Punishing Terms for Peace

Archive link - non-pay wall

Excerpt in spoiler
Click To View Spoiler

Alternate link from Kyiv Independent (referencing the WSJ article).
https://kyivindependent.com/wsj-russias-peace-terms-include-ukraine-outside-nato-limited-military-2022-document-shows/
View Quote

What a terrible deal...
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:56:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#37]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
Live, true hypersonic round with the HGV under the nose shroud.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHjeOnKWoAAbacM?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHjeOn6WcAAxMt-?format=jpg&name=large

How many of these babies are needed to sink three Chinese carriers?

I don't lose any sleep at night.

https://battlemachines.org/2023/07/17/are-chinese-naval-ships-poorly-designed/

The question generally asked though is, while on paper, the Type 052D and Type 055 are extremely capable vessels, are they actually as good in practice? One interesting thing I learnt recently is that the crews at getting to command positions fairly quickly. While commanders in western navies spend years if not decades rising through different officer ranks towards their first command, it seems to be far shorter in the Chinese Navy. The Commanding Officer of a Type 055 only had 7 years of service. The CO was commanding one of the most potent destroyers in service today but had spent just a third of a time it takes a US Navy officer to become a CO. What does it say about officers and crew in lower ranking positions? You can guess. But then, just how good are the ships?

The earliest notions of poor designs I had heard off came from Chinese forums mentioning that ships deployed to the Indian ocean for “Anti-Piracy” ops had issues. These issues ranged from lack of a maintenance first designs, where machinery spaces were not designed for easy maintenance and / or disassembly. Posters on the forum claimed that these had been rectified in the following iterations of the Type 054A and Type 052C, D. The second issue I read about was that doors facing to the sea opened inwards, as in if the lock fails, a big wave could open the door and flood the compartment. This is major oversight in ship design as China’s own waters see storms several times a year.

Trusted naval analyst Xavier Vavasseur [@xaviervav] had the opportunity to visit a Type 052DL destroyer named Nanning. Now remember, 052DLs are the latest variant of the 052D and feature an elongated flight deck, thus a longer overall length. We can assume that these are the latest specimen of the Chinese naval design culture. He was happy to see the ship in excellent condition and goes on to compare it to ships about to delivered to navies for commissioning. The analyst was surprised to see just a couple of water tight doors / compartments between the area he was allowed to tour. He also noticed a severe lack of damage control and fire fighting equipment. What was worse was that fuel for the RHIB and torpedoes had no blast doors between them. He goes on to compare the Chinese destroyer to the other naval vessels he has visited, stating that other ships were littered with fire fighting gear and water tight doors. Below is the area he is talking about.

LRASM is able to go after specific parts of a ship like this to take out the magazines, or bridge if you like, so that you don't need as many to finish the job.

There is a third interesting point I wanted to make. The sisters Liaoning and Shandong still largely retain the remnants of the angled P-700 seen on the Admiral Kuznetsov. It was widely expected that Liaoning’s refit might have cleared out that space for use as hangar or storage space, but it isnt clear at this point. Shandong, which was purpose built and has several other modifications over the base Kuznetsov design, still has this area plated off per @AlexLuck9. Its weird when a carrier built from scratch isnt modified to get rid of vestigial features.

Then there is the issue of one of Fujian’s aircraft lifts lining up with its catapult no. 1, making its use impossible when an aircraft is being prepared from launch. If it is used during usage of Cat 1, anything on the left might get blown off or heat damage due to jet blast deflected by jet blast deflectors. On all western carriers, the first aircraft lift on the port side is comfortable behind the jet blast deflectors of catapult no. 1. Please checkout the image below, via HI Sutton and Naval News.

This shows a severe lack of damage control culture. The podcast rightfully mentions that the damage control procedures are not developed but written in blood.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#38]

It seems to me (with no professional AD knowledge) that the intention of the leak was for the political implications (Escalation!  Direct involvement!) not the technical implications.
View All Quotes
Thanks for the English translation Prime, an unfortunate leak, it seems legit to me.

From the data for the Taurus missiles and the mission planning for their waypoints around Russian air defense systems using both German and Ukrainian info.

I agree, the Russians are running it all over their TV after the incident and spinning it as direct German/NATO involvement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#39]

IMO it depends on how many are there.  For example, if there were just 4 of them with AIM-120-Ds, they could be extracting the level of Russian fighter losses we see, while essentially being a needle in the haystack to find and target.
If they’re all in at once they might make a faster difference but they will also be easier to find and easier to hit.
Maybe the best bet is to have a limited number and just bleed Russian airpower for a while - low-risk, medium reward.  Then once you’ve bloodied their nose for a few months start working more in to work over ground targets.
This might coincide with a likely Russian Spring offensive.  There probably isn’t a lot going on now, but in two months having a bunch of F-16s ready to JDAM troop concentrations could make for a bloodbath.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:

You realize Russian channels whine about it as well right?

Also, very recently some Russian sources like Fighter-bomber were told by the Russian govt. to stop confirming Russian aircraft losses or else.

On topic of the recent RU losses, the Austrian Colonel said that the F-16s are already operating in Ukraine.

You have some good points, it would be one tactic of slowly introducing the new capability without causing the big Russian tantrum.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#40]

A recently published report shows the severe ammunition shortage of a crew of a German-supplied PzH 2000 in the region around Bakhmut (43rd Artillery Brigade).

The unit reports that they only have one fifth of the ammunition they used to have, and that new supplies are arriving much less frequently than before.

While German companies are doing a lot to secure the supply of ammunition to Ukraine in the long term, there is also success in the “short term”. Germany will supply at least a total of 200,000 shells for the NATO 155mm calibre and the old Soviet 122mm calibre to #Ukraine this year. A considerable increase compared to 2023.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:14:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#41]
NSFW.

https://x.com/UKikaski/status/1763908001457426457
Graphic Video!

This guy, who bled-out because he wasn't carrying a torniquet, IMHO is not your average ChMobik and is most likely a high-value target that was in the wrong place at the right time... An Officer, local occupation big-shot, FSB/GRU...

Note his clean and groomed appearance, how he carried his weapon, and the fact that he did not have combat kit with him--i.e., he was only out for a short walk.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:18:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#42]
lol.

Hint: made of wood.
Tires and axle are wrong, but close enough for Russian drones.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Focusing on the Russian lack of tracked vehicles for getting supplies to the front.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#47]

These all need anti drone jamming protection.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#48]
The enemy complains that the Russian army is “stealing” their Internet.
Thus, due to the growth of Russian subscribers of the Starlink satellite Internet along the front line, the data transfer speed of Ukrainian subscribers began to decrease.

Military Informant

https://t.me/milinfolive/117472

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHmumtFWkAA2pqB?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

I wonder if UA techies can hack the system and get GPS locations for the RU transceiver antennas?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:39:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#49]
Looks like the drone maintains the heading even after being jammed or out of range from the signal.

I think the second one hits a Russian that is using a drone jammer.

https://x.com/UkraineNewsLive/status/1763927018511478885
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Surprise, and nobody in the public knew.

This means that Germany has so far supplied Ukraine with two complete systems, two additional launchers, three additional radars and 220 missiles.
View Quote
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5447 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top