Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5482 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Deep strikes into Russian rear areas would disrupt that force generation capabilities. Striking training bases (especially without warning) and troop concentrations, fuel depots, vehicle depots, etc would make that very costly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
ISW assessment for March 11th.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-11-2024

Deep strikes into Russian rear areas would disrupt that force generation capabilities. Striking training bases (especially without warning) and troop concentrations, fuel depots, vehicle depots, etc would make that very costly.

Agreed, there is a solution to that problem, it just needs to be supplied.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

i have been pondering this a lot the last week.  have been reading a book about the US mobilization efforts in WW2...

there are a LOT of issues at play with regards to mobilization.  one is training -- having the facilities / capacity to train 1,000s of new soldiers.  the other is logistics -- having the ability to equip, feed, pay, house 1,000s of new soldiers.  all while subject to missile attacks...  training new soldiers is by nature a 'massed event' -- an inviting target.  

i am also concerned about leader development -- developing / training NCOs and junior officers.  you can't just hand a guy stripes or a bar and say -- 'you're in charge now' and hope it all works out.  

also 12-15 months ago we were hearing about all the new brigades and training taking place in Germany, Poland and Great Britain, etc.  don't seem to hear that much anymore along those lines.

my respect for Ukraine has not diminished.  i hope there are lots of positive things going on we aren't aware of.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

The Ukrainians themselves are saying that they're suffering from manpower issues, and are having a difficult time replacing losses, especially in infantry units. I don't think the Rada would be attempting to pass legislation to allow conscripts to fight and to revamp the mobilization system as a whole if there weren't serious problems. If they're left unchecked long enough, they could lead to a Kharkiv style collapse for the Ukrainians. Allowing prisoners to fight and ex-cons to be mobilized is a decent step, but more needs to be done, and I haven't been impressed by the bills I've seen that aim to reform the mobilization system. I think most of this comes down to the fact that Ukrainian political leadership is afraid to mobilize its younger male citizens. I can kind of understand why if I squint and view things through the eyes of a politician, but, tough shit. This is an existential war for the Ukrainian state and the nation, and they're faced with extinction as a people should they lose.

i have been pondering this a lot the last week.  have been reading a book about the US mobilization efforts in WW2...

there are a LOT of issues at play with regards to mobilization.  one is training -- having the facilities / capacity to train 1,000s of new soldiers.  the other is logistics -- having the ability to equip, feed, pay, house 1,000s of new soldiers.  all while subject to missile attacks...  training new soldiers is by nature a 'massed event' -- an inviting target.  

i am also concerned about leader development -- developing / training NCOs and junior officers.  you can't just hand a guy stripes or a bar and say -- 'you're in charge now' and hope it all works out.  

also 12-15 months ago we were hearing about all the new brigades and training taking place in Germany, Poland and Great Britain, etc.  don't seem to hear that much anymore along those lines.

my respect for Ukraine has not diminished.  i hope there are lots of positive things going on we aren't aware of.

It fell out of the news cycle, but England and a few other European countries are still training Ukrainians, at a rate about double what they were doing by 2023.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2024/759596/EPRS_ATA

Moreover, the EU launched an EU Military Assistance Mission in support of Ukraine (EUMAM Ukraine) in November 2022.
Almost 40 000 Ukrainian soldiers have been trained as of February 2024; following Member States'
agreement in January 2024,the number is expected to reach 60 000 by the end of summer 2024.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]

The town has just declared independence and wants to join Ukraine
View Quote
Is that part of an insurrection or a civil war?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:04:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#4]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Starlink didn’t hurt.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:
Alleged second HIMARS

Something has changed with Russias ability to find/respond to higher-level threats.

Starlink didn’t hurt.

It does seem to coincide with Russia getting Starlink to work.  Ukrainian units have to be ready to move at all times now.  The Russian drones also seem to be pretty close to their targets so they are getting past the anti aircraft sites, or the Himars is in areas without anti aircraft coverage.

But, no secondaries, and the Ukrainians might have decoys of these in a few places.  In which case, it's pretty cool to make Russia waste Iksandr ballistic missiles on the decoys.

For example, this is a Ukrainian decoy.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

You can’t put a tourniquet on your taint! Good shoot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:
With the removal of Zaluzhny (an opponent of this plan) and the appointment of Syrsky as Commander in Chief, and the growing manpower issues, the rumors in recent weeks about the mobilization of Ukrainian convicts have become a bill, with the first reading being expected to be submitted to the Verkhovna Rada next week. It's looking like the proposal is going to pass, as no parliamentarian has spoken out against it, and in such case there will be a second definitive reading during the spring.

Let's recall that the recruiting pool here is pretty big, though not massive like Russia's was back in fall 2022. Inside the Ukrainian prisons and detention centers, there are currently 26 thousand people, 25 thousand of whom are men. Outside them, however, there are over 50 thousand previously detained men who are exempt from mobilization at the moment. It's stated that there are thousands of inmates, according to the Ministry of Justice, who are patriots and have expressed a desire to join the UAF, but were unable to. It's still not entirely clear, but the measure is supposed to allow not only the possibility of enlisting as volunteers, but also the enrollment in the lists of Territorial Recruitment Centers, and thus the possibility of being mobilized as conscripts (for the ones not detained right now, at least).

Personally, I think this is a good idea. Like it or not, the Ukrainians are having serious manpower issues, and something has to be done. It was a decent idea when the Russians did it as a means to preserve their force structure and alleviate manpower issues post-Kharkiv offensive, and it's a decent idea for the Ukrainians right now. If they lose this war, their state ceases to exist, their language ceases to exist, their culture and history gets erased, their children get brainwashed, and anyone who objects to this gets detained, deported, tortured, killed, etc. This isn't some hypothetical, it's happening right now in occupied territory. Time to pull out all of the stops.
View Quote

If that happens, brace yourself for Russian propaganda- and therefore, GD's useful idiots- to start talking about how AWFUL it is for a DESPERATE Ukraine to start FORCIBLY conscripting prisoners OFF THE STREETS, only to THROW THEM INTO THE MEAT GRINDER against the Russians.  

You read this prediction here first.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By torstin:
Is that part of an insurrection or a civil war?
View Quote

Oppressed Russian speakers being liberated from the Moscow regime
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Weird to see maps like this this morning.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:08:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#9]
Himars revenge.

A lot of outgoing S-400 rounds, then the sound of 2 impacts on site as the guy filming hits the dirt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By doc540:
If at any time of their choosing orcs can send dozens of drones anywhere in Ukraine, how can F-16's and their support systems be protected?

So, a dozen or so arrive in Ukraine "soon" (there's that word again), how do they survive focused orc attacks because you know they're coming.

What would Curtis LeMay do?  (just trying to keep from getting in a funk here)  

View Quote

I don't know what LeMay would have done because I'm not a strategist, but I would make an arrangement with a neighboring country (and preferably, a NATO one) to allow Ukraine's F-16s to land and get serviced in that country after every sortie.  I think F-16 endurance (with extra fuel tanks) can enable them to operate in whatever airspace they're needed, even if they have to fly a little farther.

Beyond that, I don't have any other ideas that could protect the planes nearly as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#13]

https://x.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1767272477082767421

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIac82XW0AA05qu?format=jpg&name=900x900

I mean, it could be fake.
View Quote

He looks pretty pink for a dead guy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#14]

In case you want to see what the camera can see:
https://www.collinsaerospace.com/-/media/CA/product-assets/marketing/a/airborne-reconnaissance/collins-syers-2-fos-data-sheet-9-web.pdf?rev=64b6c464dd9d46f8a0346236ad6b24e4

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Drone going after Russian flag.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/033/451/Call_It_A_Draw_Template_3.png

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#23]
This one is hit with an FPV drone.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Does Ukraine have the equipment and capacity for in-flight refueling?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Does Ukraine have the equipment and capacity for in-flight refueling?
View Quote

I am going to guess, no.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#26]
WTF

“Previously” this might have been an IL-76

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIdolr-WAAAHa6o?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIdpGZAXMAAQ25g?format=jpg&name=medium

View Quote

Oh, darn... gotta maintain those big planes guys.  :)
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:03:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#27]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Tank is still running, and the markings are that of a Ukrainian tank with the white cross.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#31]
👀 "No NATO country can send troops to Ukraine without the consent of other members of the Alliance", - Stoltenberg

❗️This is how the Secretary General responded to Macron’s statements about the introduction of troops into Ukraine.

Stoltenberg stressed that NATO still has no plans to send troops to Ukraine, since the Alliance "is not a party to the conflict."

🤔 According to him, even if NATO countries decide individually to send troops to Ukraine, this will have an impact on all allies as a whole, since they are bound by the collective defense pact.

View Quote

BS. NATO was not initially involved in the war against Qadaffi in Libya, that was US, UK, France & others acting outside NATO. But Stoltenberg asserts authority to restrict member states here? Is that not an assault on members' sovereignty?

For all we know, this was all theater. Macron may have known full well that Stoltenberg would say "not without NATO you don't" giving him political cover to make bold statements he would never follow through on. It wouldn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#33]
15 minutes ago.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Small fixed-wing diving in. Interesting. Wonder what they were trying to hit in that building?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

What size drone load brought down that building?  🤔
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#36]
March 11, 2024 • 8:55 p.m
Pistorius is skeptical about “Taurus” ring exchange with Great Britain

Federal Defense Minister Boris Pistorius is skeptical about a ring exchange with Great Britain to supply cruise missiles to Ukraine. Asked whether this was an appropriate solution to the "Taurus" debate, Pistorius said: "I don't think so." British Foreign Minister David Cameron did not make this suggestion on his own initiative, but simply said, when asked by a journalist, that the British government was examining all options. “But that was it,” said Pistorius.

https://www.tagesschau.de/newsticker/liveblog-ukraine-montag-346.html

Baerbock sees ring exchange “option”, SPD does not

Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock could imagine exchanging Taurus rings with Great Britain. Her British colleague David Cameron had previously declared his openness to this

Foreign Minister Baerbock had brought up a Taurus ring exchange with Great Britain; the British could have delivered it to Ukraine. The SPD also rejects this.

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/politik/ausland/baerbock-taurus-lieferung-ringtausch-ukraine-krieg-russland-100.html
View Quote

Bottom line: Germany is unwilling to send these weapons in any way, either for Ukraine or to others to free up other weapons for Ukraine. What a great partner and ally they are.

I suspect that when (if) Russia invades the Baltics, Germany will hem and how about allowing transit over their territory to anybody west of them wanting to respond on Article 5.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I think both sides would benefit from an hour-long class showing example video and boiling down say “5 dos and don’ts to improve your survival.”  Yeah you can get more into the weeds but after watching a bunch of video there are a few common points.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#38]

View All Quotes

The one company uses slightly larger frame FPV drones carrying heavier explosives.

Thermobaric explosives are great at causing building or bunker damage if it gets inside.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:08:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#39]

Germany has already provided Ukraine with ~ 40,000 rounds from this production line. Ukraine will receive a further ~ 110,000 rounds of this type of ammunition.

A further 150,000 rounds of a different type (HEI-T) will then be delivered after the production shifts from APDS-T to HEI-T which is scheduled for Q2/2024.

In total, Rheinmetall will supply Ukraine with 300,000 rounds of Gepard ammunition worth a three-digit million sum paid by the German government, therefore securing the medium term needs of ammunition for the vital Ukrainian air defence assets.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:14:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#40]
Hearing buzz of a $400 million aid package to Ukraine from the U.S. that will be announced later today.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#41]

I have not made a graph of T-62 Varisnt, mostly because with 7 types and only 100 Tanks it would not show a lot, the 7 types and total losses for each are:  

T-62 Orb 1967:                   2
T-62 Obr 1972:                   2
T-62M:                                67
T-62M Obr 2022:              4
T-62MV:                              18
T-67MV Obr 2022:            4
T-62 (unknown Varaint): 3

T-62s were made between 1961 and 1975. The Obr 2022 models have received some upgrades recently, as far as I know, a lot of ERA armour, and not much more, but correct me if you know of other things added to the upgrade?

In the Summer of 2022 Moscow announced that they would reactivate 800 of these in, I don't know how many will be in total, but between March 2023 and September 2023 198 were removed from long-term storage and 362 remained in storage.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:54:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnrpb] [#43]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIecCE6XgAAInzz?format=jpg&name=small
View All Quotes

Germany has already provided Ukraine with ~ 40,000 rounds from this production line. Ukraine will receive a further ~ 110,000 rounds of this type of ammunition.

A further 150,000 rounds of a different type (HEI-T) will then be delivered after the production shifts from APDS-T to HEI-T which is scheduled for Q2/2024.

In total, Rheinmetall will supply Ukraine with 300,000 rounds of Gepard ammunition worth a three-digit million sum paid by the German government, therefore securing the medium term needs of ammunition for the vital Ukrainian air defence assets.

APDS-T - is Ukraine using these as direct fire support now or does APDS-T work as well as HEI for anti-drone/missile work?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:56:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#45]
✈️💥 Is it a bonus? "Passengers of the Il-76 can be operator-officers from the A-50 air defense system"

According to the information of the Cheka-OGPU, Il-76 passengers can be operators-officers with anti-aircraft defense systems, including A-50. "Severny" airport in Ivanovo is one of the bases for the deployment of anti-aircraft defense aircraft. We are still waiting for additional confirmation about this information. 😉

"The number of people killed in the crash of the Il-76 in the Ivanovo region has increased to 16. Emergency services are still working on the scene, sorting out the wreckage of the downed transporter. According to one of the versions, there could have been several unregistered passengers on board." - reports 112

They were not surprised by the reaction of the Russians, who "paid tribute" to the dead crew of the IL-76 with the words - "Fu, f****c how it smells." We will leave a quote below for such a reaction!😆

https://t.me/ukrainian_militant/21916

Severny Airport in the Ivanovo Region is one of the bases for the deployment of AWACS aircraft, including A 50. According to sources from the Cheka-OGPU, the passengers of the IL 76 shot down today in the Ivanovo Region could have been operators - officers of the AWACS complex.

https://t.me/vchkogpu/46533

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Johnrpb:

APDS-T - is Ukraine using these as direct fire support now or does APDS-T work as well as HEI for anti-drone/missile work?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Johnrpb:

Honestly, we haven't seen much evidence of Gepard being used as direct fire support.  It certainly makes more sense for the guns to use the HEI for the anti air role.  I am a bit surprised at this report.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Why do militaries decommission almost-used weapons instead of shooting them up in training exercises?  Giving some British soldier an almost-expired NLAW to shoot at a target in training both gets rid of it and provides training to the soldier.  But it sounds like they don't shoot the NLAWs and instead send them somewhere to be disassembled and then have the individual parts destroyed, which seems like it's more complicated and more expensive than just shooting it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#49]

That is just nuts. I had no idea.
View All Quotes

That is just nuts. I had no idea.

I'm guessing it's just a bad translation, but the caption implies that the picture is a U2 selfie.  

It's something I didn't see nearly as much before reading all these non-English sources for the war, but "lost in translation" doesn't quite cover it- more like "some inaccuracies in translation."
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:

Why do militaries decommission almost-used weapons instead of shooting them up in training exercises?  Giving some British soldier an almost-expired NLAW to shoot at a target in training both gets rid of it and provides training to the soldier.  But it sounds like they don't shoot the NLAWs and instead send them somewhere to be disassembled and then have the individual parts destroyed, which seems like it's more complicated and more expensive than just shooting it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:

I am sure some of these munitions get expended in training, it just seems like there is still more weapons that aren't used up even in training that stay in stockpiles until the use by date passes.

Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5482 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top