Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 689 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TONTO44:

What happens if the Russians decide to go ahead & try to transit?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TONTO44:
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
So the Turks activated The Montreux Convention and closed the Bosporus to warships and so far has refused to allow the Russian Navy to transit:

Turkey rejects Russia's request for navy ships to pass Bosporus

This has got to start putting a bite in their resupply for the southern invasion effort.

What happens if the Russians decide to go ahead & try to transit?

My own opinion and just mine.  I don't think Turkey has much interest in getting involved with this conflict

They are drifting away from Nato.

Turkey: An unruly NATO partner?
Relations between NATO and Turkey have been strained since the country in 2017, purchased a Russian made S-400 missle defence system. Described as a “Russian intelligence collection platform”, US defence officials feared, the missle deal could lead to data leaks and security issues within the NATO alliance.

article
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Maine_11B_to_Nurse:

Xi has his little rice dick halfway up Putin's ass right now economically, but China would love to take over some resource-rich territory right next door to them. I sure wouldn't trust those fuckers if I was Putin. He's fixing to get spit roasted.
View Quote

China’s happy with renting Siberia, I think.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Propaganda is propaganda but assuming the UKR truly are humanitarian in their treatment of captures & surrenders, it will pay them back exponentially. Not necessarily now, but well in the future. It takes only a little bit of food and kindness to win the heart of an abused animal but when you do, that animal will never leave your side. Can't say if that's true for all peoples of this planet but for many it is.
View Quote
I see it as they're being kind for that part of the world. I think the Russian kids are scared because of what they would do to those they capture invading their country. It looks to me that the older Ukrainian guys that are in the interviews talk to the younger Russian soldiers like stern parents. They are telling them what to say but I don't think they're beating then after they are caught.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

There is something very simple to explain it:

The enemy gets a vote.
View Quote

Sure.

And I'll acknowledge there's a certain danger to underestimating your enemy.

We can't say for sure what Russia's plan was going in, but this seems applicable:

Originally Posted By Darwin4570:

Lmao who are you to say that Putin is rational and would even consider slowing down regardless of their losses?
View Quote

Whether or not Putin "would even consider slowing down" is looking almost irrelevant given that his forces have slowed down significantly. And they've been slowed down by ragtag Ukrainians with old timey Soviet weapons, Turkish drones, and shoulder fired missiles.

If Russia invades a NATO nation, they'll be faced with a full range of modern, cutting edge military systems crewed by much better educated and trained personnel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
View Quote
USD or Ruble's?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
If the map was legit from Belarus, if the Russians hit Moldova in a week or 2, how does that change the calculus?

Does the West sit back, or do we really have to shut down Russian energy, and own the skies?
View Quote

Romania will be in play at a minimum
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Some internal affairs going on if this is real.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Puts Moldova in an awkward spot, they could end up at war with…someone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

Russian already has troops in Transniestra, which is a break-way part of Moldova.  They pulled the same stunt there back in late 90s I believe.  "Ethnic Russians need our help!"

Puts Moldova in an awkward spot, they could end up at war with…someone.

I wonder what the implications would be if Moldova hypothetically reunited with Romania.  You'd have a NATO country with territory occupied by a hostile foreign power.  If Romania demanded Russia leave and it did not in that scenario, could they invoke Article 5 to expel them?  Came to mind years ago when the topic was broached by those countries.  Doesn't sound like it has a chance of happening anytime in the foreseeable future, but it's an interesting scenario to ponder, nevertheless.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#10]

There are loads of things you don’t want or need to waste an NLAW on.
 A LAW kills all those Tigrs,MTLBs,Kamazes…
View Quote

I told our mutual friend last night that for the cost of a Javelin you can buy 100 AT4s. Spread them out and now every time the Russians go past a second story window they've gotta dismount and clear it or risk getting hit with something that can kill everything short of a tank, and possibly a tank from the right angle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Schmigs] [#11]
Waiting for confirmation

Edit: Seemingly not
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
It seems pretty clear that Russia is sending in it's 2nd and 3rd echelon troops as cannon fodder. The troops and vehicles they sent in in 2014 were better equipped and newer than what's been sent in so far
View Quote

Um, yeah. It's 8 years older.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Schmigs:
Waiting for confirmation

View Quote

I think I had been assuming this had already happened
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By aswrg7:

Lol, the Russian propaganda outlets were praising the T-90 a few years ago. They said it was an Abrams killer.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/7AC6109A-D809-4E08-8514-A53F54CDC5CD-405.gif
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By aswrg7:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

That guy was spot on for the T-90.  The company had such bad press because of the T-72 they just rebranded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q83AIJCGaQ

Lol, the Russian propaganda outlets were praising the T-90 a few years ago. They said it was an Abrams killer.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/7AC6109A-D809-4E08-8514-A53F54CDC5CD-405.gif

Lol, yea they can call it whatever they want, once we saw the inside and the export French Catherine-FC thermal sights we all had a good laugh and a sigh of relief.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

Exactly.

The sole purpose of an MRAP is to give the crew the best possible chance to survive a certain level of threat. They are designed for a specific job, and for the US Army, they were very good at that job. Dozens of men in my BN went home in one piece thanks to the MRAPs.

The war we are watching now isn't what MRAPs are designed for. In terms of a conventional fight, they are big, easy targets.
View Quote

The Tigr MRAP doesn't even have any protection for the gunner, just a folding flap hatch that kind of protects the gunner on one side maybe if he's lucky.

What's even the point of having a gunner on an MRAP if he can be shot out in 5 seconds by anyone within small arms range?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
A lot of Russia's moves thus far are something you would do if your intent was to suck NATO into a conventional ground war.

1) Protect coms by using crap until "the good stuff" is required.
- Limiting exposure of crypto and jam evasion
2) Sending in crap equipment/troops and looking like the build up is a "Rescue Attempt"
3) Using the shit rations first
4) Forward deploying your nukes
5) Inching your lines forward
6) Smashing the fuck out of places that are actually hurting you

I'm just having trouble believing there isn't more to the story. Maybe I need shiny side out instead of in on my tinfoil?

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By hippowrangler98741:
Wait, are Ukrainians bearing arms somehow able to thwart a modern superpower military?
View Quote

Probably not, but they're not fighting one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:

The full force of NATO and the US is monitoring everything that is going on, they may not want to commit anything because it will show their tactics and capabilities, they would rather let tanks and ground troops get eaten up.

Yes you are right, we will know in the next week or so.
View All Quotes
If Putin is as paranoid as many are suggesting it would make sense that he is not committing valuable air assets and top tier ground units to this fight.

Or maybe they are as much of a shitshow as it appears and their military is a paper bear.  We'll know soon enough.

The full force of NATO and the US is monitoring everything that is going on, they may not want to commit anything because it will show their tactics and capabilities, they would rather let tanks and ground troops get eaten up.

I agree that's what they intended as they believe it would be done within 4 days.  The reality is that Putin may get bogged down in a afgan style war where the USA and NATO arm the "mujahideen" of Ukraine.  He would need to switch tactics for a more decisive and quicker end.

He can easily do that as Russia's full military can squash the Ukraine military easily. The risk there is a greater possibility of NATO (really USA) direct involvement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By riksors:

View Quote

Definitely. Old school Russian mafia and business folks are not going to just stand around while Putin’s actions hit them in the wallet. Vlad is on eggshells.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 715700] [#20]
Wait, are Ukrainians bearing arms somehow able to thwart a modern superpower military?
View Quote

No,it’s Russia.

Russia only had -past tense- a window to try this because once Europe goes heavily nuclear the Russian economy shrinks dramatically and with nations like Finland and Poland investing heavily in defense the tech gap was only going to grow. They can’t afford to compete.

Now…geez
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
A lot of Russia's moves thus far are something you would do if your intent was to suck NATO into a conventional ground war.

2) Sending in crap equipment/troops and looking like the build up is a "Rescue Attempt"

I'm just having trouble believing there isn't more to the story. Maybe I need shiny side out instead of in on my tinfoil?

View Quote

Go look whats in reserve. The "Good stuff". It isn't there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Turin_Turambar:
Sounds like China

Russia’s Education Ministry is rolling out a special campaign to ensure that the nation, especially its schoolchildren, understand that the war in Ukraine isn’t a “war.”
View Quote

It’s not a war, it’s a peacekeeping action.  If it’s that bad now, imagine unpeaceful it was before they came in to help.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Do you even understand how proud I am that the Ukrainians had the first batch to help blunt the blow?

I love my little land 🇪🇪
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:

Do you even understand how proud I am that the Ukrainians had the first batch to help blunt the blow?

I love my little land 🇪🇪

You should be very proud!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:
Russian soldier vs Ukrainian door

View Quote

Lol

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Lol. They aren’t fighting NATO. They would all be dead. There is no modern army opposing them, no modern armor, no modern air power, no navy at all, no modern soldiers with night fighting capability. They are fighting people with AK47s and 1960s Soviet weapons with supplies from NATO and look like they are losing….

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Lol

Or 87% of Russias military is a joke and the nukes are a deterrent to keep Vlads military from getting wiped out

Whichever
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 74HC:

I agree that's what they intended as they believe it would be done within 4 days.  The reality is that Putin may get bogged down in a afgan style war where the USA and NATO arm the "mujahideen" of Ukraine.  He would need to switch tactics for a more decisive and quicker end.

He can easily do that as Russia's full military can squash the Ukraine military easily. The risk there is a greater possibility of NATO (really USA) direct involvement.
View All Quotes
If Putin is as paranoid as many are suggesting it would make sense that he is not committing valuable air assets and top tier ground units to this fight.

Or maybe they are as much of a shitshow as it appears and their military is a paper bear.  We'll know soon enough.

Ukrahideen?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Dude needs to add another zero. All that trouble ain't worth 1 million dollars.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Well, a lot of people have thought “near peer” with regards to Russia meant something like that. Even myself, I figured the Russians would steamroll their way to the capital in 2 or 3 days, but pacification and victory was going to take far longer.
View Quote

I was fooled for decades.
Eisenhower was right.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Waiting for confirmation

View Quote

Interdasting! Intensity is starting to intensify intensely.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

That's a lot of rubles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
No. This is just Russian way of war.  At this point theres no proof to your claims.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SEAN10MM:

View All Quotes

Especially since everyone in Vlad's inner circle is probably already a multimillionaire because of him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

The whole point of recent information is that Russia is incapable of doing that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Conventionally, we'd kick their ass. Frankly, even w/o our help, I think Euroland could beat them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd love to know how many NLAWS and Javelins Nato has and what percentage it has given away to blow up Putin's old junk.  How long does it take to make more?  Would supply line and chip shortages affect this at all?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BlueCoyote:

Definitely. Old school Russian mafia and business folks are not going to just stand around while Putin’s actions hit them in the wallet. Vlad is on eggshells.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlueCoyote:

Question is: Who is next?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Waiting for confirmation

View Quote

Replies say fake news.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Yup. Not a serious offer
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#40]

No,it’s Russia.
View All Quotes

No,it’s Russia.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Spotted in Louisville Kentucky today

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#43]
If only you had listened to Patton 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hell,if only you had supported Baltic,Polish,Czech and Ukrainian patriots before they had nukes to threaten you.

The USSR couldn’t have afford to fight an insurgency from Finland to the Black Sea.

Oh well. I just want to see the Russian bastards smashed so all of us who have to live next door stop being bullied.

All we ever wanted was to be left alone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

And a mobility kill can be preferable as an ambush tactic, too.

Immobilize a TIGR/MRAP with a small IED or anti-material rifle, wait for his buddies to gather around, and then drop in a Javelin or three...
View Quote

except this doesn't look like all the other invasions in the history books.  sounds like those Russians are just looking for a legitimate reason to say "tanski disabled, can't fight"

no need to waste any ammunition more expensive than an ied or a few bullets.  just disable all the vehicles and leave them where they are until vlad takes his last vacation.  usse them as target practice for the reconstituted Ukraine military after this is over.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trapsh00ter99] [#45]
View Quote
Rubles?
Edit: Beat of course
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

isn't that a felony?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Glocked:

Definitely seems like it
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Originally Posted By mcantu:
It seems pretty clear that Russia is sending in it's 2nd and 3rd echelon troops as cannon fodder. The troops and vehicles they sent in in 2014 were better equipped and newer than what's been sent in so far

This doesn't make any sense.

If true, seems like a deliberate strategy. Sending in the weakest first, using them to tire out the Ukrainians, I’d have to imaging after a few weeks, most of Ukraine’s fighters will be hungry and tired. Would make the resistance weaker for when Russia’s Varsity team shows up.

If they were at least providing them with fuel then maybe it would be believable. If you want your JV team to tire out the enemy, you have to at least make sure they aren't broken down on the side of the road. Pair that with the fact 70-80% are already committed, it just doesn't check out.

The entire Russian army is the B team.

Definitely seems like it

Their more capable units might be B team, but they're showing C & D team level logistics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#48]
CossakGundi still with us!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
I don't think losing - or at least giving NATO hope of winning without getting involved - would be a viable way of achieving that goal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By YankeeWhite:
I'd love to know how many NLAWS and Javelins Nato has and what percentage it has given away to blow up Putin's old junk.  How long does it take to make more?  Would supply line and chip shortages affect this at all?
View Quote
If Russian equipment wasn't shit to begin with Ukraine might be a military superpower after this.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 689 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top