Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I actually regret all the money I spent on the old Surefire with the 123 batteries. I had a Streamlight Scorpion too. I spent a ton on 123 batteries too.

Now I have this little rechargeable flashlight in my shirt pocket that makes them look like shit.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lumens suck. It includes frequencies that humans cannot see.

Candelas measure what humans can see.
View Quote
What are you talking about? Lumens are the measurement of all visible light output generated by the LED. Integrated spheres used to test the lumen output of LED lights can only measure light in the visible spectrum. You'd need a sensor capable of IR capture, or UV, to measure that wavelength. Candela, preferred by some, is a mathematical calc based on the lux value at a measured distance from the light meter's target sensor. Some consider candela a superior measurement to lumens as it measures the collimated light intensity in the center of the beam, or 'hot spot'.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Double the lumens but still pretty dim.

I wish I would have kept one or two just for nostalgia

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132893/Surefire_png-2763482.JPG
View Quote
I still have one of those mounted on my bedroom rifle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I actually regret all the money I spent on the old Surefire with the 123 batteries. I had a Streamlight Scorpion too. I spent a ton on 123 batteries too.

Now I have this little rechargeable flashlight in my shirt pocket that makes them look like shit.

View Quote

I use these in my 3 cell SF lights, which are now running a 9-12 volt Malkoff LED:

Efest 16340 V2 IMR 700mAh - Button Top

They can't be used with a factory 3 volt SF LED light, because they produce as much as 4.2vdc fresh off the charger. They also won't fit inside my old SF A2 Aviator (a too wide battery -vs- a too narrow body).

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an early SF light for my Beretta 92 and its dedicated safariland holster that was cumbersome as a frying pan. I think i looked like Robocop to some of my colleagues. It didn't last, but i still have them both. I used a maglite fornaroundnthe house up until few months ago, then i bought a 5$ USB rechargable handheld light that works way Better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't regret it because at the time they were great. But I get it, I wish I could get some of that money back to spend on new tech. That's the case with most tech though I'd say.

I bought a bunch of 6Px Pros (LED) maybe 6-8 years ago when they had some sales. I loved those things, and they're still good lights. Used to use them pretty much daily. Now I rarely use them. On the plus side, I'm using a tiny fraction of the CR123s that I used to.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The first weapon light I ever used was a stream light scorpion in a ring mount, up until that point I didn't even bother as they sucked. Now, that stream light is a just in case, door pocket of the off road rig kinda light.

I still have a 3D maglite too, though it's been converted to LEDs with battery adapters to utilize rechargeable AAs instead of shit, heavy Ds. It's heavy enough to be an effective bludgeoning tool even with the weight reduction and a massive increase in output, somewhere around 500 lumens or so, so "modern." Was compelled to rebuild it as it is a lower SN model from the 80s, new rubber button, lense, bulb and a clean/grease and she is better than new with all the old patina. Love it.

EDC is 1K, which is plenty.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hell, mine's sitting on the end table next to my recliner.  It's what I use at night to light up possums, 'coons, stray cats and 'dillos before I shoot them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

Somewhere in the house, I still have Surefire's 1st ever foray into LEDs (IIRC); the KL1 LED module.

15 lumens

Then again, I'm old enough to have carried the original Maglite Solitaire, when those first came out.

By the time LED lights were common, I remember a joke on Candlepowerforums about the Solitaire, "Oh  those. About as bright as a lit match, but with less runtime"

Hell, mine's sitting on the end table next to my recliner.  It's what I use at night to light up possums, 'coons, stray cats and 'dillos before I shoot them.

Attachment Attached File

My backyard, "What's that noise?" light, is an Imalent DX80 (ANSI confirmed 32,000 lumens). It's bright enough, and the spill is so wide, it lights up the entire ~40 yard wide backyard to the treeline ~100 yards away, without needing to sweep the light

When I first got it, after playing around with it for a bit, I got back in the SUV, and immediately thought one of the HID headlights and high beams must've burned out. Nope. After getting used to the DX80, the HID headlights and high beams just appeared really dim in comparison.

The WMLs are an assortment of 500 - 1000+ lumens.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Heck ya!  I’ve been a flashoholic for my whole life.

I had an HDS light that put out 60.  I loved that thing.
View Quote

Yup. Tough little buggers, and again, awesome interface.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I use this almost daily. It is on my work bench and I use it working on things. It is strange it throws a square beam almost.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use this almost daily. It is on my work bench and I use it working on things. It is strange it throws a square beam almost.
View Quote

Yeah, the Surefire TIR lens design at that time picked up the shape of the emitter.  I have the E2L 30L outdoorsman with the square beam as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What are you talking about? Lumens are the measurement of all visible light output generated by the LED. Integrated spheres used to test the lumen output of LED lights can only measure light in the visible spectrum. You'd need a sensor capable of IR capture, or UV, to measure that wavelength. Candela, preferred by some, is a mathematical calc based on the lux value at a measured distance from the light meter's target sensor. Some consider candela a superior measurement to lumens as it measures the collimated light intensity in the center of the beam, or 'hot spot'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lumens suck. It includes frequencies that humans cannot see.

Candelas measure what humans can see.

In a nutshell,

Lumens = total light output
Candela = maximum intensity

Candela = throw.
Higher Candela will illuminate an object to the same brightness, at further distances.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#15]
My first SureFire is an L4 - 60 lumens for an hour run time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ok that’s awesome.  I gotta see that pic…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LEP Laser Excited Phosphor.

I have the 1.8 million candela Weltool W4.

In one of these flashlight threads, an arfcommer posted a pic. They hiked up to the top of a mountain, then called their (wife?) to ask if they could see the light from the mountaintop in the daytime. They could, and took a photo. The light is visible from the mountaintop, in the photo, in daylight, from about 10 miles away, IIRC (he was pointing the light in the general direction of the person who took the photo).

Ok that’s awesome.  I gotta see that pic…

@highstepper

Found it! Post with pic is halfway down the page. Mea Culpa, arfcommer says it was from ~TWENTY miles away

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Remember-the-Fenix-TK30-LEP-flashlight-Well-prepare-to-give-Fenix-more-money-/5-2573849/?page=2&anc=bottom#bottom
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are the salty bitches. Still have some IZ dust in the nooks and crannies. One appears to have a collapsed o ring inside the bezel. What can I do with these bodies as far as new heads and clicky tail caps?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#18]
20yrs has made for profound changes in LED tech.

My 2003 EDC vs my current EDC.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here are the salty bitches. Still have some IZ dust in the nooks and crannies. One appears to have a collapsed o ring inside the bezel. What can I do with these bodies as far as new heads and clicky tail caps?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/22DF9033-BF28-4823-91DC-8B10CF49A5E2_jpe-2764165.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/D3CAF0F9-DBB0-4E5E-8576-45E951E0D761_jpe-2764169.JPG
View Quote

Start looking for Surefire XM switches on the EE or ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=surefire+XM&_sacat=0, and then you can use a current plug-in type SF tape switch.

If you just want a pushbutton tailcap, look for a surefire Z41, which is the same as used on the 6P, C2, etc..

A Malkoff M61 is a drop-in fix, and he also sells delrin spacer rings ($1/each) to put in between the front of the LED and the bezel.

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/fitting-ring-for-surefire-shock-absorbing-head
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I still have a Pentagonlight out in the barn.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I remember that Glock used to have first-party WMLs that were dog crap by today's standards.
View Quote

Mine still works

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Start looking for Surefire XM switches on the EE or ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=surefire+XM&_sacat=0, and then you can use a current plug-in type SF tape switch.

If you just want a pushbutton tailcap, look for a surefire Z41, which is the same as used on the 6P, C2, etc..

A Malkoff M61 is a drop-in fix, and he also sells delrin spacer rings ($1/each) to put in between the front of the LED and the bezel.

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/fitting-ring-for-surefire-shock-absorbing-head
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/22DF9033-BF28-4823-91DC-8B10CF49A5E2_jpe-2764165.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/D3CAF0F9-DBB0-4E5E-8576-45E951E0D761_jpe-2764169.JPG

GunnyG for the win again. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#23]
"Old farts"........?

Damn youngsters..

Early Surefire and Maglites were like magic compared to the ORIGINAL late 60's Kel-Lite super dim skull wackers...........

Still have one around. (not my pic)

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#25]
If I recall correctly I had to twist the bezel to turn on the one I had. Unfortunately I believe an old girlfriends son took it
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#26]

I still use those shotgun lights
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I remember camping/whitewater-rafting back in the 80s when a Mini-Mag flashlight got you in the cool kids club
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#28]

And now $10 will get you a light that fits in a toddler’s hand and has more lumens/candelas than all of those combined
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Loved that light!
My best friend still has my Thrunite Scorpion V2, which was a modernized version.
Best duty light I've ever owned!
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My first Surefire (Laser Products marked) light was the shit at 60 lumens!
First WML was an HK UTL that cost half as much as my USP 45.
Lost my first 6Z (a ton of $ at the time) in a bar fight.
$12 for 60 minute run time batteries, in the 90s.
Now, looking for more TLR-1 WMLs at 300 lumens to not be blinded by the $10 more 1000 lumens HLs indoors.
Yeah, I'm old...
View Quote

Still using mine however it was upgraded to a Malkoff.

I have many other lights, it’s still my favorite and the one that sits on my nightstand.

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:04:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
these work okay for cheap lamp upgrades.  May require tweaking of spring

www.amazon.com/dp/B008PN0Q2Q
View Quote

I've got similar in my 951, it works pretty good but the whole assembly is just so big and clunky compared to what's on the market now I don't have it mounted on anything, and none of the drop-ins work with the IR filter.

Someone should really make a drop in that has an IR and vis LED side by side - you'd lose some battery life, but it would still be an improvement over the old Xenon bulbs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@highstepper

Found it! Post with pic is halfway down the page. Mea Culpa, arfcommer says it was from ~TWENTY miles away

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Remember-the-Fenix-TK30-LEP-flashlight-Well-prepare-to-give-Fenix-more-money-/5-2573849/?page=2&anc=bottom#bottom
View Quote

That’s NUTS!!!  Thanks for finding it.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just for shits and giggles I bought one of the USGI right angle flashlights.  Still made in USA believe it or not.

A cigarette lighter puts out more light.
View Quote

The old school Fulton moonbeam. They offer a LED & battery conversion. I think I read that it'll take it to 25 lumens or something.

Edit: can someone point me towards a decent headlamp please. I've used a small 2032 clip-on style for years in my truck and it recently died. I'd like to try one of the elastic band styles this time I think.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've got similar in my 951, it works pretty good but the whole assembly is just so big and clunky compared to what's on the market now I don't have it mounted on anything, and none of the drop-ins work with the IR filter.

Someone should really make a drop in that has an IR and vis LED side by side - you'd lose some battery life, but it would still be an improvement over the old Xenon bulbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
these work okay for cheap lamp upgrades.  May require tweaking of spring

www.amazon.com/dp/B008PN0Q2Q

Thanks for the link and background.

Gonna order a 2-pack for one of the 951s I posted earlier and the 6P I recently found.

How would you select between the IR and visible LEDs on something that doesn't have a mechanical mode selection process like the vampire series? Or would that be part of the new drop on head?

@arr199
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#36]
For those who might be digging out old SF lights and trying to remember what the hell they were called if you're looking for replacement and/or upgrade parts, this link to an archived post breaks it down nicely.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Identify-This-Surefire---/118-725281/

SUREFIRE MILLENNIUM UNIVERSAL M9xx Series Weapon Lights –----- Basically like the Millennium series handhelds, but have battery retention and either a lever mount or thumbscrew mounts built in. They have complete parts interchangeability with the Millenniums.

M95x ----- 6V Small head
M96x-----9V Small head
M97x-----9V Turbo head, has greater throw but weighs more
M98x-----12V Turbo head, a M4 Dominator weapon light

The last number indicates mount type
M9x1-----Thumbscrew mounts
M9x2-----Arms throw lever
M9xL-----Larue Adjustable Mount

Suffix indicates tail cap type
C -----Two step pushbutton, part way is momentary; all the way clicks on/off.
P -----Momentary push button on only, but twist for constant on.
SUxx -----Pressure pad switch with xx length lead. Typically 5, 6 or 7”.
XMxx -----C type switch + a pressure pad switch of xx length built into one.

The pressure pad can be disconnected and a rubber plug put in its place.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The old school Fulton moonbeam. They offer a LED & battery conversion. I think I read that it'll take it to 25 lumens or something.

. . .
View Quote

There a couple of people on Ebay selling 3D printed battery adapters ( i.e., putting a single 26650 or others, in place of 2 D cells) too.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=194778745572&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562&_ssn=bino1973

and https://www.ebay.com/usr/printworksdesign?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559

I have bought this sub-$20 LED to use in a 4D cell maglite, and was pleasantly surprised with it. It casts a better throw and spill than the similar 75 lumens offering from NiteIze, and it is a two stage (first press of the light switch gives 55 lumens, 2nd press goes to 525 lumens, 3rd is off). It should work with a single rechargeable 4.2vdc battery too:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L2JZM1F?tag=arfcom00-20;qid=1680271095&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVFczQTY5NjJWQ1FBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTMxNzUwMjdVRExFVU5ZWFA0TSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzU4NTE4MUNaOTM3U01PQVU1TSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Edit: can someone point me towards a decent headlamp please. I've used a small 2032 clip-on style for years in my truck and it recently died. I'd like to try one of the elastic band styles this time I think.
View Quote

Look at a COB LED headband like https://www.govx.com/p/126000/pro-1000-headlamp, or others like it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just for shits and giggles I bought one of the USGI right angle flashlights.  Still made in USA believe it or not.

A cigarette lighter puts out more light.

I got a 2-pack of these for $25. Rechargeable and a number of red/white hi/low modes. If just want a simple off/on this isn't for you, but I have them in drawers and on a couple workbenches all over the house and they've worked well so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0972XCG19/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Look at a COB LED headband like https://www.govx.com/p/126000/pro-1000-headlamp, or others like it.
View Quote

Roger, thanks. I had looked at the cob style but was unsure whether they were snake oil.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Roger, thanks. I had looked at the cob style but was unsure whether they were snake oil.
View Quote

I've had the Liteband1000 pro for a couple of years, and it is good quality. It really does cast a great 210 degree flood of usable light, and with reasonably good throw too, really good for walking at night, on unlit trails. I have a SF Minimus, and a Streamlight Sidewinder Compact to compare it to, and those two are narrower and weaker.

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Gonna order a 2-pack for one of the 951s I posted earlier and the 6P I recently found.

How would you select between the IR and visible LEDs on something that doesn't have a mechanical mode selection process like the vampire series? Or would that be part of the new drop on head?

@arr199
View Quote

You wouldn't! They'd just both always be on. You'd use the IR filter just like way back when.

I don't expect that would be a particularly marketable product, but I'd like one to make my 951 make sense now that I'm gradually moving everything over to NV compatible.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I didn't read the whole thread,  so this may have already been mentioned...

But this is the reason for the love of old Coleman style mantle gas lamps.  Old style filament bulbs powered by alkaline batteries had no chance against them.  Modern Lithium + LEDs are another story and are better performers.  Except for collectors: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Any-Coleman-Lantern-fans-in-here-/5-2628796/
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#44]
My 6P and 6Z lights got the malkof  bulb and  16650 batteries
Attachment Attached File

Made them into usable lights again.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Read through most of the thread.  Brings back great memories.
I'd like to second what others have said about how a Malkoff M60 or M61 breathes new life into any Surefire that takes a replaceable bulb.  They tend to use older (trusted) emitters, and are made in the USA!
I started using these about a decade ago, my favorite are the 2-modes: turns an old Surefire into a very functional modern light.  Fully potted, large brass heat sink, extremely durable and sufficiently bright!

I have used a ton of Asian-made drop-ins over the years and found the Sportac versions to be top notch, never had a failure and they offer very high lumen options.
Brass heatsink, modern emitters, and neutral tint options.  These make a Surefire equivalent to many modern 2x CR123 lights.
Over 1000 ANSI lumens, with a 1-hour runtime.  I've used these in weapon lights on 12ga shotguns with great success:

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You wouldn't! They'd just both always be on. You'd use the IR filter just like way back when.

I don't expect that would be a particularly marketable product, but I'd like one to make my 951 make sense now that I'm gradually moving everything over to NV compatible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@arr199

Ah, now I think I'm tracking. A white LED for normal eyeball shit, and another LED that emits on the spectrum that would allow the IR filter to do its thing. Kinda makes sense, but that filter kills so much of the light I wonder if making it a selectable, Vampire-esque, setup would actually be better in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@memsu

What's a reputable 16650 battery?  All the ones on Amazon have ~40 ratings, so likely all Chinese co-workers saying how awesome the battery is (until it lights my house on fire).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FYI the Surefire G2 can run on rechargeable batteries.

Get a 16650 battery. It's just 2mm smaller than a 18650. Get several hours of run time out of it as well.

Now no need for CR123 batteries.

@memsu

What's a reputable 16650 battery?  All the ones on Amazon have ~40 ratings, so likely all Chinese co-workers saying how awesome the battery is (until it lights my house on fire).

@glenn_r

I've heard these are good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TW87YBM?tag=arfcom00-20

Mine are Efest 16650s. No issues with them, but don't seem to have them anymore.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#48]
It was state of the art at one point!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I remember that Glock used to have first-party WMLs that were dog crap by today's standards.
View Quote

I still have one of those on a Glock! Enough light to see it ain't Santa in your living room.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#50]
What Malkov conversion works in the old SF 870 forend lights?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top