Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That would be way to much to ask for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there was only something we could do to stop these fires.  Like scientific forest management
and building codes requring fireproof exteriors and roofs.

It should be the responsibility of the people building to make their places as fire resistant as possible. What kind of a fucking idiot would build a house with a cedar shingle roof and and wood siding in a fire area? How fucking stupid are the companies that insure them? Putting the blame on building codes is just another way that people abdicate their personal responsibility to government.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It should be the responsibility of the people building to make their places as fire resistant as possible. What kind of a fucking idiot would build a house with a cedar shingle roof and and wood siding in a fire area? How fucking stupid are the companies that insure them? Putting the blame on building codes is just another way that people abdicate their personal responsibility to government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there was only something we could do to stop these fires.  Like scientific forest management

For some reason, the "reinforced concrete pillbox in the middle of a 500' clearing" style of architecture never really took off.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

For some reason, the "reinforced concrete pillbox in the middle of a 500' clearing" style of architecture never really took off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But a metal roof house can look good and be far more fire resistant to embers. I get a house insurance break with metal roofs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are vain and stupid.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why would a firefighter carry a gas can on his back?  I'm more apt to believe it is a disguise, especially since they just purchased all their tools new at Home Depot.
View Quote

In defense of that, my chainsaw is HORRIBLE on gas, so I constantly have a can near me for the refillings.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In defense of that, my chainsaw is HORRIBLE on gas, so I constantly have a can near me for the refillings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would a firefighter carry a gas can on his back?  I'm more apt to believe it is a disguise, especially since they just purchased all their tools new at Home Depot.

Yep. The idiots freaking out about a sawyer swamper carrying a gas can....that is literally a swamper's job. Carrying fuel, oil and supporting the sawyer.

Do people not realize that wildland handcrews usually operate away from a gas station or a crew van/truck? Also take a look at Conservation Corps groups that do some vanilla wildland jobs. No shortage of retards or shitheads there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I just watched that whole thing.  The blonde broad is obviously compromised, along with the chairman.  They’re more worried at the end by possible sparks from lawnmowers than they are by a representative of the sheriff’s office telling them to their faces that their county is under attack.  I’m actually having trouble processing what I just saw.  Like, holy fuck, Clackamas County is under the control of ANTIFA sympathizers who are apparently willing to stonewall on behalf of ANTIFA.
View Quote

Looking forward to Tootie starting back as county chair in January.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get this - State FM Walker Pushed Out b/c he went behind the line without permission

Walker told The Oregonian/OregonLive on Sunday that he entered the Beachie Creek wildfire area east of Salem on Thursday on behalf of a state employee who was concerned about five people. It turned out that one of the people was the employee’s relative, George Atiyeh, 72.

Walker said he obtained “approval” to enter the scene from an incident supervisor.

What is unclear, however, is whether he had authorization from Les Hallman, the incident commander, and whether he was honest with his supervisors when questioned about it, the source told The Oregonian/OregonLive.

State police officials have declined to comment on the situation, saying only that the agency and the Office of the State Fire Marshal “regret this distraction.”

What’s more, the source said, Walker lacked the skill and training to identify and investigate human remains at what amounts to a crime scene.

ETA: per the Clackamas County Commissioner's meeting @ 23 minutes - the incoming FM is now responsible for the Riverside Fire.

Sounds like the FM cleared his route with actual factual dude on the ground, but did not make the phone call to someone not on scene. He is a boots on the ground guy and his #2 was to fill the roll of admin ram rod. The OSP are inferring it is pure politics.

ETA2: everyone should email Clackamas County Commissioner Paul Savas - he called the question RE petitioning Brown for the NG in light of Captain Jeff Smith's report from his deputies. Encourage Salva that he was prudent to ask the question about the NG and that you want him to follow up on the potential of such nefarious activity, and if true make sure that it is brought to the attention of the Gov, the media or both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Get this - State FM Walker Pushed Out b/c he went behind the line without permission

Walker told The Oregonian/OregonLive on Sunday that he entered the Beachie Creek wildfire area east of Salem on Thursday on behalf of a state employee who was concerned about five people. It turned out that one of the people was the employee’s relative, George Atiyeh, 72.

Walker said he obtained “approval” to enter the scene from an incident supervisor.

What is unclear, however, is whether he had authorization from Les Hallman, the incident commander, and whether he was honest with his supervisors when questioned about it, the source told The Oregonian/OregonLive.

State police officials have declined to comment on the situation, saying only that the agency and the Office of the State Fire Marshal “regret this distraction.”

What’s more, the source said, Walker lacked the skill and training to identify and investigate human remains at what amounts to a crime scene.

ETA: per the Clackamas County Commissioner's meeting @ 23 minutes - the incoming FM is now responsible for the Riverside Fire.

Sounds like the FM cleared his route with actual factual dude on the ground, but did not make the phone call to someone not on scene. He is a boots on the ground guy and his #2 was to fill the roll of admin ram rod. The OSP are inferring it is pure politics.

ETA2: everyone should email Clackamas County Commissioner Paul Savas - he called the question RE petitioning Brown for the NG in light of Captain Jeff Smith's report from his deputies. Encourage Salva that he was prudent to ask the question about the NG and that you want him to follow up on the potential of such nefarious activity, and if true make sure that it is brought to the attention of the Gov, the media or both.

Mariana Ruiz-Temple was thrust into the role of Oregon state fire marshal after Jim Walker was placed on administrative leave for unspecified reasons

“Mariana has led with grace, transparency and courage,” Gov. Kate Brown said in a statement.
  (to be fair, I assume she has proper experience here)

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#9]
8 separate suspicious fires West of Sweethome, OR being investigated by Linn County Sheriff's Office:

https://www.linnsheriff.org/2020/09/sheriff-yon-announces-several-suspicious-fires-in-lebanon-and-sweet-home-areas/?fbclid=IwAR05TjePUQWtMYB6nP5odKdyE1XLCYG0fuVTSEc7eFOmWu15iDFirX5s0xQ

Sheriff Jim Yon reports his deputies are investigating several suspicious fires that began early this morning at 2:41 a.m. Deputies and fire personnel responded to eight different small fires in the areas of Scott Mountain Road west of Sweet Home, Whiskey Butte Drive east of Sweet Home and Washburn Heights Drive outside of Brownsville. All the fires occurred within a two-hour period.

A pick-up described as a small, white or silver, 1990s Nissan Hardbody with a white canopy was seen in the area of one of the fires. This is a vehicle of interest and we are actively looking for it.

These fires are still under investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call 541-812-2260.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

People are vain and stupid.
View Quote

They are also prevented by law from removing trees on their own property.......
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#11]
'Oregon man arrested twice in 12-hour span for starting 'multiple' fires near Portland freeway'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-man-portland-arrest-fires-interstate-205-wildfire-warning-fire-weather-police

'A man in Oregon was arrested early Monday for setting "multiple" fires along a freeway in Portland, hours after he was released from custody for setting another brush fire along the same roadway, according to police...'
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Oregon Fires Started by Organized Arson COMPILATION

Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
8 separate suspicious fires West of Sweethome, OR being investigated by Linn County Sheriff's Office:

https://www.linnsheriff.org/2020/09/sheriff-yon-announces-several-suspicious-fires-in-lebanon-and-sweet-home-areas/?fbclid=IwAR05TjePUQWtMYB6nP5odKdyE1XLCYG0fuVTSEc7eFOmWu15iDFirX5s0xQ

Sheriff Jim Yon reports his deputies are investigating several suspicious fires that began early this morning at 2:41 a.m. Deputies and fire personnel responded to eight different small fires in the areas of Scott Mountain Road west of Sweet Home, Whiskey Butte Drive east of Sweet Home and Washburn Heights Drive outside of Brownsville. All the fires occurred within a two-hour period.

A pick-up described as a small, white or silver, 1990s Nissan Hardbody with a white canopy was seen in the area of one of the fires. This is a vehicle of interest and we are actively looking for it.

I came to post the same article.

Ahit is hinky out west.

Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Instead of TOM (Tweaker on Mountainbike) we have a TIN (Tweaker in Nissan).... :p
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

WTF is that thing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

WTF is that thing?

Embodiment of parental disappointment.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ahit is hinky out west.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahit is hinky out west.

It is pretty obvious that they are trying to keep this under wraps as much as possible (but failing).
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T20jx_aqmnw
View Quote

That guy taking the video should have just shot the firebug and left him for the fire to consume.  Seems like it would be the right thing.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That guy taking the video should have just shot the firebug and left him for the fire to consume.  Seems like it would be the right thing.  Just my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I agree
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree

Don't ask don't tell.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 3:31:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Small f'ing world. I grew up with Les. I dug up pictures of him on the website. It's him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 9/15/2020 3:36:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

BigBuilder1?, The Geodesic Dome guy on here about 8-10 years ago? I believe he said a few made it through wild fires.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

BigBuilder1?, The Geodesic Dome guy on here about 8-10 years ago? I believe he said a few made it through wild fires.
View Quote
I'm building a dome home next.

They have survived hurricanes, tornadoes, forest fires, and if done right can stop bullets.

From what I understand they are hard to insure and they sit on the market if being sold because Americans don't like them.

I would assume it would be hard to get a mortgage on one as well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:42:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monolithic not geodesic domes, and someone linked to the old but not archived (and still getting recent posts as of a month ago!) thread in one of the current threads on the fires, or a thread that was covering the riots/fires/looting...I am following a few threads covering all this craziness going on, and cannot recall exactly where I saw it, but that thread on the domes has been a good read so far...lots to consider...anyway, here is the link

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/monolthic-domes-paging-1-big-bunker/17-625006/?page=1

And it looks like the arfcommer is 1_Big_Bunker...not sure he is still active atm...but I am still working my way through that thread. I need more hours in the day to keep up with everything!
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Arson caught on video.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ClownWorldNews1/status/1305644823517392897?s=20[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/ClownWorldNews1/status/1305644823517392897?s=20
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Monolithic not geodesic domes, and someone linked to the old but not archived (and still getting recent posts as of a month ago!) thread in one of the current threads on the fires, or a thread that was covering the riots/fires/looting...I am following a few threads covering all this craziness going on, and cannot recall exactly where I saw it, but that thread on the domes has been a good read so far...lots to consider...anyway, here is the link

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/monolthic-domes-paging-1-big-bunker/17-625006/?page=1

And it looks like the arfcommer is 1_Big_Bunker...not sure he is still active atm...but I am still working my way through that thread. I need more hours in the day to keep up with everything!
View Quote

Yeah,that's the one. I loved the way the concrete floors were sliced and dyed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Arson caught on video.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ClownWorldNews1/status/1305644823517392897?s=20[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/ClownWorldNews1/status/1305644823517392897?s=20
View Quote

Well, there's no mistaking what this guy is doing.  Now, he just has to be connected to ANTIFA or BLM.  I'll just wait while the investigative journalists in the media get right on that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Slow news from the fires and riots the last few days.  Are they still setting fires or are the getting ready for the white house siege?
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

But concrete tile and stucco are things that don't burn.

The biggest bitch are the windows. When the heat of the fire causes the glass to expand it shatters. Once there's a hole in the building it's in danger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The biggest bitch are the windows. When the heat of the fire causes the glass to expand it shatters. Once there's a hole in the building it's in danger.

Automatic steel shutters.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Slow news from the fires and riots the last few days.  Are they still setting fires or are the getting ready for the white house siege?
View Quote

The news all last week was focused on the (totally NOT Antifa arson) fires.  Were there any riots in Portland?  Serious question.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seems like the number of new fires dropped sharply.

My interpretation is the money sources/handlers of antifa said.

"Holy shit! You dumb fucks weren't supposed get caught en masse lighting these fires. How hard is it to wait until no one is looking? People are tracking your arrests online dipshits! This is taxing our ability to coverup in the media. We gotta tell you to stand down while we figure out what to have you fuck up next."
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

"Holy shit! You dumb fucks weren't supposed get caught en masse lighting these fires. How hard is it to wait until no one is looking? People are tracking your arrests online dipshits! This is taxing our ability to coverup in the media. We gotta tell you to stand down while we figure out what to have you fuck up next."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it. The people running the show come up with a new plan every time the useful idiots fail, or the current plan sets up the perfect environment to enable a move to the next action. ETA it's a perfect illustration of how the people running a communist revolution operate. They're only successful when their plans are carried out by non communist hands.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its climate change again. We're shifting back into an ice age. Fires are slowing down.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
'Oregon man arrested twice in 12-hour span for starting 'multiple' fires near Portland freeway'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-man-portland-arrest-fires-interstate-205-wildfire-warning-fire-weather-police

'A man in Oregon was arrested early Monday for setting "multiple" fires along a freeway in Portland, hours after he was released from custody for setting another brush fire along the same roadway, according to police...'
View Quote

Square in the back..
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Its climate change again. We're shifting back into an ice age. Fires are slowing down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time for a fresh pandemic then.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Are the Cali fires arson as well? I’m way behind on all of this
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Are the Cali fires arson as well? I’m way behind on all of this
View Quote

There are so many fires that there's no way to tell.  In Oregon, the Lionshead and Beachie Creek fires were small fires that started deep in the woods last month.  Those they were letting burn themselves out but the continued low humidity and high easterly winds fanned those into monstrous infernos.  The ones in southern Oregon and near Lincoln City are very suspicious.  There have been several people arrested for arson, but no proof they started the main fires in the north and middle parts of the state. Fires in Eugene and Springfield are are also very suspicious.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There are so many fires that there's no way to tell.  In Oregon, the Lionshead and Beachie Creek fires were small fires that started deep in the woods last month.  Those they were letting burn themselves out but the continued low humidity and high easterly winds fanned those into monstrous infernos.
View Quote

The fire in gold Beach a couple of years ago was a small fire that they thought would burn itself out.   It was a slow burn for a few weeks,  then started ramping up.   Usfs took a lot of bad press on the initial handling of the fire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chetco_Bar_Fire
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Here are some from California to add to the list.

Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Some of the current damage reports

Beachie Creek
Residences Destroyed: 470
Other Structures Destroyed: 818

Lionshead
Residences Destroyed: 264
Other Structures Destroyed: 16

Holiday Farm
Residences Destroyed: -
Other Structures Destroyed: 424

Archie Creek
Residences Destroyed: 110
Other Structures Destroyed: 2

S. Obenchain
Residences Destroyed: 29
Other Structures Destroyed: 51

Two Four Two
Residences Destroyed: 8
Other Structures Destroyed: 28

Almeda Drive
Residences Destroyed: 600
Other Structures Destroyed: 100

Echo Mtn. Complex
Residences Destroyed: 100
Other Structures Destroyed: -
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's another good reference.  Gives current updates and status plus projections based on weather forecast.  This link is centered on the Beachie Creek fire but if you scroll down, you can get detailed information on each individual fire.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve worked on three different houses in the Camp Fire zone of Paradice that survived due to non combustible building materials when everything around it burned.

Metal roof. Stucco or hardi/ concrete siding. No wood decks up against the house (All of these burned for obvious ember magnet reasons).

A few of the vinyl window frames completely failed, but never dropped the glass all the way out. Dual pain glass windows don’t really shatter that way from heat alone. The rubber seal fails and they just fart.

Even the houses that remained had major smoke damage and weren’t lived in for months for smoke damage construction.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Automatic steel shutters.
View Quote

Best method is to clear brush close to the house.

I think the biggest cause of house fires in a forest I've heard about is embers being sucked into eave vents where they get into the hot, dry attic and burn the house down. I think there are vents you can get to prevent that or you cover them if a fire is on the way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I’ve worked on three different houses in the Camp Fire zone of Paradice that survived due to non combustible building materials when everything around it burned.

Metal roof. Stucco or hardi/ concrete siding. No wood decks up against the house (All of these burned for obvious ember magnet reasons).

A few of the vinyl window frames completely failed, but never dropped the glass all the way out. Dual pain glass windows don’t really shatter that way from heat alone. The rubber seal fails and they just fart.

Even the houses that remained had major smoke damage and weren’t lived in for months for smoke damage construction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Some of the fire behavior in paradise defied what we would expect from typical fire behavior.

The houses to the left and right of this structure were burnt to the foundation.  

I saw houses that had combustible roofs, gutters full of pine needles, combustibles next to the house.   But it somehow looked untouched.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Still hanky shit going on up here in WA. This is from this morning on the local crime watch page. Keep your eyes open...

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One big issue is that you can do everything right with your house but end up losing it if the neighbor's house is close enough and they didn't take any precautions.

House to house destruction is a big issue especially when you get into track houses. People think that since they live in a suburban track development that they are not at risk and ignore fire wise construction and landscaping. Then you loose a block because of house to house spread or ember shower.
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top