BCM
User Panel

Pennsylvania (Page 29 of 68)
Page / 68
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fulminata:
One of them is just down the mountain from me, dunno why it even made the list to be honest it's not bad at all.

ETA: Hell, in the almost 3 years this thread's been running I've probably said where I live more or less, the town I'm talking about is Clearfield. So it making #7 on the Top 10 Worst Towns in PA List is kind of a head-scratcher, I drive down there all the time to go Grice's or Bob's or whatever and haven't been murdered, not even once.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By laxman09:

I live in the one of towns highlight in the "worst" video
One of them is just down the mountain from me, dunno why it even made the list to be honest it's not bad at all.

ETA: Hell, in the almost 3 years this thread's been running I've probably said where I live more or less, the town I'm talking about is Clearfield. So it making #7 on the Top 10 Worst Towns in PA List is kind of a head-scratcher, I drive down there all the time to go Grice's or Bob's or whatever and haven't been murdered, not even once.
Love me some Bob's & Grice's... more like TOP 10

https://www.gricegunshop.com/
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Warlord_Doc] [#2]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

View Quote
Not too far from Grice's......... "regular" burgers are pretty damn good!

Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

View Quote
No kidding, I actually watched the Top 10 one first and was kinda expecting Clearfield to be on that one.

I mean you got Bob's, Grice's, a Tractor Supply literally 100 feet from an Urban King, Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, Geno's just up the road going toward Woodland, Over the Mountain which is named appropriately if you're starting in either Clearfield or DuBois so way to go on the truth in advertising thing (and which has a kickass roast beef special)...what the hell else do you need?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Warlord_Doc:

Not too far from Grice's......... "regular" burgers are pretty damn good!

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/08/72/7f/6c/denny-s-beer-barrel-pub.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes - I'm very familiar with Clearfield and Bradford - and they don't belong on this list - someone got ahold of a stats package that wasn't very good.  Makes me think they are using some sort of Diversity score BS...

Why Philadelphia (Highest crime rate),  Chester, Pittsburgh, or Harrisburg isn't on the list tells me something,
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 300Savage1899:
Yes - I'm very familiar with Clearfield and Bradford - and they don't belong on this list - someone got ahold of a stats package that wasn't very good.  Makes me think they are using some sort of Diversity score BS...

Why Philadelphia (Highest crime rate),  Chester, Pittsburgh, or Harrisburg isn't on the list tells me something,
View Quote
I think they were going by small towns under a certain population, which would exclude some of the really nasty places, although State College made the "best" list and it's not really that small...hell, during a Penn State home game State College becomes the 3rd largest city in PA.

And yeah Bradford kind of surprised me too, a couple of my friends in college were from Bradford and we'd go up there now and then, and except for it being cold as hell in the winters (like colder than places in AK cold) it didn't seem like all that bad a town really. It kinda reminded me a bit of Warren, a town I always liked when we'd go up there to visit relatives when I was a kid; just, you know, even colder. I also can't see how a place like Bradford made the "worst" list but Johnsonburg didn't, which makes me think the guy mainly looks at "facts" on the internet to make his list and didn't really get out and drive around a whole lot. Because Johnsonburg stinks, literally.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
How come no one is arguing Aliquippa is on the worst list!? It's no that bad!
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:33:14 AM EDT
[#8]

This is the one that really pisses me off:

A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.

View Quote
 Well that tears it!  I'mma leavin' this hyar Commonwealth!
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#9]

And yeah Bradford kind of surprised me too, a couple of my friends in college were from Bradford and we'd go up there now and then, and except for it being cold as hell in the winters (like colder than places in AK cold) it didn't seem like all that bad a town really. It kinda reminded me a bit of Warren, a town I always liked when we'd go up there to visit relatives when I was a kid; just, you know, even colder. I also can't see how a place like Bradford made the "worst" list but Johnsonburg didn't, which makes me think the guy mainly looks at "facts" on the internet to make his list and didn't really get out and drive around a whole lot. Because Johnsonburg stinks, literally.
View Quote
I can believe Bradford is on that list. I’m surprised it’s not higher on the list. I grew up in Warren and it wasn’t a bad little town and back them Bradford was booming. I moved away and then came back in 2008-9. Instead of commuting back and forth I decided to look for a place in Bradford. Everyone warned me and I thought awww it can’t be that bad. So I was looking and found a 2story house on a double city lot for $2500.  Yes that’s right $2500 !!! So I plop down the cash and get it.  I then found out what  Bradford was all about.
I’d get up in the morning to go to work and all the neighbors would be on the porch still drinking.
I was the only person on the whole block that had a job.
I was told by guys at work that Bradford was ok until they moved the welfare office from Ridgeway to  Bradford and everyone followed. It seemed like everyone there was living off the system and when they had trouble getting their money they’d get their kids signed up for it.
Unfortunately Bradford has become a totally different place now. I couldn’t wait to sell that place and get the hell outta there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#10]

This is the one that really pisses me off:

A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.

View Quote
I wish we could bring back dueling. A gentleman's agreement to settle an otherwise irresolvable conflict. There was honor in such a pact.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:26:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#11]
Second worst  place for leftist bent people I have lived besides California

They don't dress as well either, It's like the steamer ships from Europe never stopped arriving
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Nokie:

I can believe Bradford is on that list. I'm surprised it's not higher on the list. I grew up in Warren and it wasn't a bad little town and back them Bradford was booming. I moved away and then came back in 2008-9. Instead of commuting back and forth I decided to look for a place in Bradford. Everyone warned me and I thought awww it can't be that bad. So I was looking and found a 2story house on a double city lot for $2500.  Yes that's right $2500 !!! So I plop down the cash and get it.  I then found out what  Bradford was all about.
I'd get up in the morning to go to work and all the neighbors would be on the porch still drinking.
I was the only person on the whole block that had a job.
I was told by guys at work that Bradford was ok until they moved the welfare office from Ridgeway to  Bradford and everyone followed. It seemed like everyone there was living off the system and when they had trouble getting their money they'd get their kids signed up for it.
Unfortunately Bradford has become a totally different place now. I couldn't wait to sell that place and get the hell outta there.
View Quote
Okay that explains Bradford then, I was in college in the '90s so that's when I spent any time there and haven't done anything more than drive through there in probably 15 years so yeah sounds like it's gone way the hell downhill.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ibn_Huq:
Second worst  place for leftist bent people I have lived besides California

They don't dress as well either, It's like the steamer ships from Europe never stopped arriving
View Quote
Didn't you live in Pittsburgh? That's like judging all of Virginia by Charlottesville, or Texas by Austin.

Democrats generally average 20% of the vote countywide here, and it's only hitting that high thanks to the two (small but still officially designated as such) cities that still have a couple of unions telling people who should know better who to vote for.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been trapped in PA for almost 2 months.
I need to get out of here soon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Didn't realize this thread was 3 years old!
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#16]
My Cuz married a Gal from Erie and has a summer place out in the sticks there. He swears there are way more Confederate flag waving rednecks up there than down here. Sounds like a really nice place, in the summer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DeathHates:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
My Cuz married a Gal from Erie and has a summer place out in the sticks there. He swears there are way more Confederate flag waving rednecks up there than down here. Sounds like a really nice place, in the summer.
View Quote
Around here we prefer the term hillbilly, but yeah pretty much; it's not called Pennsyltucky for nothing.

Although I have a flag like instead of a Confederate one:

Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JK_Pyre:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JK_Pyre:

Hey brother
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Pretty much anywhere but Philly, Pittsburgh, and maybe Harrisburg is GTG in PA. Most people who aren't locals have probably only been to Pitt/Philly and they assume all of PA is like that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Like your flag. Was Baptized in Mingo Church.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TTTinker:
Like your flag. Was Baptized in Mingo Church.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulminata] [#23]

Pretty much anywhere but Philly, Pittsburgh, and maybe Harrisburg is GTG in PA. Most people who aren't locals have probably only been to Pitt/Philly and they assume all of PA is like that.
View Quote
Yeah where I live is nothing like Pittsburgh let alone Philly.

It's like this...just try to ignore the typical boring while trying to over-sell it tourist bureau voiceover, hell mute it.

Visit Clearfield County - Halfway to Everywhere

ETA: For reference at 0:40 it looks pretty much like my "back yard" once you get past the range and fire pit, and the road at 0:56 is pretty much the twin of the one I live on.

Oh and people around here say "y'all" instead of "yinz"...although over in Bennett's Valley they say "y'uns" No, we don't know why.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#24]
View Quote
PA is pretty damn beautiful in the right places.  Here's to hoping is stays semi-conservative because I'd like to retire there some day.  If not....Idaho/Utah it is. But my boys love it on the farm.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

PA is pretty damn beautiful in the right places.  Here's to hoping is stays semi-conservative because I'd like to retire there some day.  If not....Idaho/Utah it is. But my boys love it on the farm.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/31682291_1835881909791254_7592468458009264128_o-531898.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/31743621_1835887366457375_5738915612785115136_n-531899.JPG
View Quote
Cute kids man. Whereabouts is the farm?

If you do retire up here though they'll quickly learn that PA winters aren't anything like the ones in Texas. But it's all good, ours build character...and combat driving skills.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Wandering_Moses:
View Quote
Don't let the door hit'cha...  Serially, tho, Tejas is one of the places I've seriously considered de-assing to, if y'all could stand another heavily-armed Yank.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I have lived in PA for 15 years now. I like it a lot but I can’t stand the liberal invasion. I use to live in NY. I came here to get away from liberals and to my surprise many PA’s were left wing democrats. The liberals are coming in from NY and NJ. I am a very far right wing guy. My family is conservative too. I like the state but I don’t know if I will stay forever.

At this time I am very concerned about the gun control bills. I also don’t like that we have a full democrat suprem court. I don’t like the redistrict the SC did. Lots of things changing in the last few years here. The republicans around philly and Pittsburg are not conservative. This state has to much of a left wing slant. I thank God for the center of the state but it is just a matter of time before they Are over powered. That’s what NYC did to all of NYS and you see what they are going through. It is also a high tax state.

All in all it’s a very good state with a lot of crappy people in control.

I won’t even start my rant about the potholes and the roads.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:11:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#28]

Didn't you live in Pittsburgh? That's like judging all of Virginia by Charlottesville, or Texas by Austin.

Democrats generally average 20% of the vote countywide here, and it's only hitting that high thanks to the two (small but still officially designated as such) cities that still have a couple of unions telling people who should know better who to vote for.
View Quote
yes Pittsburgh 12 yearsand Philly for a year as a child. Can't stand the northern panhandle of WV either (my mother's families digs since leaving Greene County PA in 1880) either, too many of the same damn somebody owes me a life because the rich boss man at the top of the hill culture persists there too

Moving from Woodland Hills CA to Media PA in 1972 was like going from Endless Summer to West Side Story in 6 hours courtesy of TWA.

Never quite got over that

Never mind me though, I just try to get in at least one cut a day at the two NE cesspools I have the most personal experience with

Wish I had seen more of the state in my twelve years there, but I didn't, got a few good friends from out of the city though.

20 or so of us every year during deep winter up in Allegheny Forest for a 5 days hootin and a hollerin
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ibn_Huq:

yes Pittsburgh 12 yearsand Philly for a year as a child. Can't stand the northern panhandle of WV either (my mother's families digs since leaving Greene County PA in 1880) either, too many of the same damn somebody owes me a life because the rich boss man at the top of the hill culture persists there too

Moving from Woodland Hills CA to Media PA in 1972 was like going from Endless Summer to West Side Story in 6 hours courtesy of TWA.

Never quite got over that

Never mind me though, I just try to get in at least one cut a day at the two NE cesspools I have the most personal experience with

Wish I had seen more of the state in my twelve years there, but I didn't, got a few good friends from out of the city though.

20 or so of us every year during deep winter up in Allegheny Forest for a 5 days hootin and a hollerin
View Quote
Yeah I thought so from what you'd posted before. And I can see if your main experiences in the past with PA were mainly Pittsburgh and Philly having a distinct viewpoint about it, Pittsburgh doesn't bother me that much (wouldn't want to live there though) but Philly is a place that I'm fine with only ever having a reason to go to once every couple of decades. The last time I was down in that area was to go to Bensalem when my then girlfriend got us tickets for a pre-screening of Serenity as part of my early birthday present, so that's been quite a while; and I'm fine with that.

Allegheny National Forest is pretty awesome no matter what time of year it is, I haven't been there in a couple/few years but some of my buddies from college and I go up to Cook Forest every year just to get even more away from it all. Not that I need to travel for that, it's only about 500 yards from the back line of my property to part of Moshannan State Forest.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Don't forget Scranton/WB.  And Reading.  I went to grade and high school there between '76 and '86.  Decaying mill town, increasing Hispanic population, but still mainly working class.  Now?  Literally the poorest city in the US.  All the industry is gone. Maybe it has seen an upswing lately, but I don't think so.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Come here to work did ya?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
Where in PA. are you trapped?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By BLITZ999:
Where in PA. are you trapped?
View Quote
Maybe under a fat chick in Susquehanna?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#34]
The Line Painting has started.

You are hereby warned.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:18:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#35]

If you do retire up here though they'll quickly learn that PA winters aren't anything like the ones in Texas. But it's all good, ours build character...and combat driving skills.
View Quote
Bedford county. Wife and I are from here. Kids are gonna get a taste of winter next year. Should be interesting.

Headed to Knobbels tomorrow for some fun.  Shooting .22’s at the in-laws place tonight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Pennsylvania is a must visit for me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Bedford county. Wife and I are from here. Kids are gonna get a taste of winter next year. Should be interesting.

Headed to Knobbels tomorrow for some fun.  Shooting .22's at the in-laws place tonight.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/81BDF6B8-01AA-40F7-A9FB-21384853D02F-534159.JPG
View All Quotes

Headed to Knobbels tomorrow for some fun.  Shooting .22's at the in-laws place tonight.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/81BDF6B8-01AA-40F7-A9FB-21384853D02F-534159.JPG
2018 Little League Baseball® World Series

Do the boys like baseball?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Bedford county is a nice area, used to drive through there fairly regularly when I was in college and we were going to other campuses for parties in Shippensburg and Gettysburg after hitting Penn State Altoona. Your kids will either love winter here or wonder why you are torturing them...

Good stuff on going shooting too, I need to do a post-winter cleanup on my range out back this weekend, I still used it over the winter but now it's time to make it not look raggedy as hell. I did a little "How long is this going to take..." check this afternoon between downpours and actually found a pile of .308 waaaay off to the side, so bonus for a pile of brass, finger wag at the PTR for launching it halfway to Ohio.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
Post up when you're coming if you decide to, I'm sure people would show you the ways of Pennsyltucky...or the cities () depending on where you wind up visiting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Bedford county is a nice area, used to drive through there fairly regularly when I was in college and we were going to other campuses for parties in Shippensburg and Gettysburg after hitting Penn State Altoona. Your kids will either love winter here or wonder why you are torturing them...

Good stuff on going shooting too, I need to do a post-winter cleanup on my range out back this weekend, I still used it over the winter but now it's time to make it not look raggedy as hell. I did a little "How long is this going to take..." check this afternoon between downpours and actually found a pile of .308 waaaay off to the side, so bonus for a pile of brass, finger wag at the PTR for launching it halfway to Ohio.
View Quote
Where are you from in PA?  I grew up just up the mountain from Penn State Altoona.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PAspeedmaster:

2018 Little League Baseball® World Series

Do the boys like baseball?
View Quote
Still a little young but in a few years we will be up there to check it out. Just moved back east after a decade west of the Mississippi River. We’ll be up to PA a lot more now. Looking for more property in Bedford Co too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DeathHates] [#42]
Post up when you're coming if you decide to, I'm sure people would show you the ways of Pennsyltucky...or the cities () depending on where you wind up visiting.
View All Quotes

It's a ways in the future, but I will do that. Thank you.

ETA: I hate cities, but I love good folks more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Out here in Somerset, most of the land is claimed.  Makes hunting that much harder :(
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Where are you from in PA?  I grew up just up the mountain from Penn State Altoona.
View Quote
Grew up in Jefferson County, but went to school in Clearfield County (DuBois) after I graduated I went to Penn State and then Clarion, then moved around all over the damn place, now I'm back living in Clearfield County, in an undisclosed location in the woods...but it's only like 20 minutes to Grice's so it's all good even if most of my friends think I'm living in BFE.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulminata] [#45]

It's a ways in the future, but I will do that. Thank you.

ETA: I hate cities, but I love good folks more.
View Quote
Yeah I hate cities too but honestly if you'll only ever be in PA once in your life you should check out the historic stuff in Philly, just get out before dark. I hate Philly with the burning fire of of 1,000,000 suns but there is some important historical shit there that everyone should see at least once. Pittsburgh isn't quite as bad, and there is a lot of historical stuff in rural areas, Gettysburg, Fort Ligonier, Valley Forge and so on and so forth. Lots of gun ranges and breweries too.

ETA: And German food, if you like German food PA is a great place to be.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Yeah I hate cities too but honestly if you'll only ever be in PA once in your life you should check out the historic stuff in Philly, just get out before dark. I hate Philly with the burning fire of of 1,000,000 suns but there is some important historical shit there that everyone should see at least once. Pittsburgh isn't quite as bad, and there is a lot of historical stuff in rural areas, Gettysburg, Fort Ligonier, Valley Forge and so on and so forth. Lots of gun ranges and breweries too.

ETA: And German food, if you like German food PA is a great place to be.
View Quote

Someday!  Sounds great
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Grew up in Jefferson County, but went to school in Clearfield County (DuBois) after I graduated I went to Penn State and then Clarion, then moved around all over the damn place, now I'm back living in Clearfield County, in an undisclosed location in the woods...but it's only like 20 minutes to Grice's so it's all good even if most of my friends think I'm living in BFE.
View Quote
Got a buddy still in Winburne.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By spacemanvic:
Out here in Somerset, most of the land is claimed.  Makes hunting that much harder :(
View Quote
Offer to help a farmer milk during hunting season and you’ll have access to their entire place. PA hunting secret...you’re welcome.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Got a buddy still in Winburne.
View Quote
That's about a half hour or so away from me. I've been to Black Moshannon a bunch of times, so I'm kind of familiar with the area down there but I don't know if I spent any time in Winburne itself or not.

I live right by Moshannon (just plain old Moshannon) State Park, the one edge of it starts something like 5-600 yards past the end of my property and over Anderson Creek. Which incidentally cracked me up when it was mentioned on the TV show Blind Spot. Who the hell picks Clearfield as a place for their main character to come from, let alone has him fishing in Anderson Creek? I really should write them a letter and ask if they picked that out of a hat or see if I went to school with someone who wrote the show.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I've hunted a bunch out in Moshannon State forest out past the medix. Miss going up there for turkey.
Page / 68
Pennsylvania (Page 29 of 68)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top