Answered my own question. Worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z12wvtj4Kc8
View Quote

https://vimeo.com/462049229
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#3]
If your battery is totally drained you might not get tracked.  Even in the OFF position they can still potentially register your phone.

When a Stingray tracking device is turned on, it pretends it is a cell phone tower. It simulates the call out from the tower to nearby phones, even when they’re not turned on. Those phones, in turn, respond to the Stingray by reporting in their phone number and a unique electronic serial ID number.
View Quote

At least... according to this website.   How Stingray works
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just leave your phone on and at home.
View Quote
Can't do that, the reason is that these big high-tech companies have figured out how to tell who exactly you are by listening to you talk on someone elses' phone. I know I intentionally left my cell phone at home, and I went to see my lawyer.

When I was with my lawyer she leaves her phone on her desk.... And later when I get home, I get flooded with all kinds of ads related to what we discussed. Yeah "(in my best Jim Nabors/Gomer Pyle-voice) surprise, surprise, surprise!" Seems pretty logical, since FB had like billions of image of people's face. Have a nice day everyone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Government Surveillance System ARGUS Is The Highest Resolution Video Camera In The World | DARPA

This was like 13 years ago. They can trace you back to where you came into an event.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Pick up a digital camera if you want to record stuff, they are cheap enough.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Leave the phone at home frequently, to set precedent.
Leave it for the trip, use cash, use a mask with structure, put a small rock in your shoe, drive a vehicle with no tracking, loose fitting clothes and reflective sunglasses.
If photo or video is needed take a dedicated camera.
View Quote

And wear a hat that blinds cameras.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Accelerometer in the phone is precise enough to track you with two end points to work with. Remember those games where you walk around the room and move the phone, or tilt it?  My iPhone has a fairly accurate compass app on it.
View Quote

I think (???) strong magnets will completely fuck up the function of the accelerometer and compass while near the phone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does it or would it look suspicious where suddenly your phone was off grid in a 24-48 hour time span? My point is, those people could’ve left their phones behind but they would show up as not in use. Am I right?
View Quote
yes

Privacy security and osint by Michael Bazzell
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Take a page from Leftists if you’re going to partake in hooligan activity:

- No phone
- No devices with any sort of connectivity
- Completely sanitize your gear. No patches, no ID, no nothing.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pick up a digital camera if you want to record stuff, they are cheap enough.
View Quote

Make sure it's a cheap one, a lot of them have tracking stuff.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think (???) strong magnets will completely fuck up the function of the accelerometer and compass while near the phone.
View Quote

Storing it in bag with some helium will temporarily disable that feature.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take a page from Leftists if you’re going to partake in hooligan activity:

- No phone
- No devices with any sort of connectivity
- Completely sanitize your gear. No patches, no ID, no nothing.

View Quote

Close but no cigar.

@eesmith
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Person of Interest was more accurate in a lot of ways than it probably appeared at first glance.
View Quote
I remember thinking that when I watched it
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I keep my phone fully inserted into my rectum to block the signals.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does it or would it look suspicious where suddenly your phone was off grid in a 24-48 hour time span? My point is, those people could’ve left their phones behind but they would show up as not in use. Am I right?
View Quote

Some corporation will buy that info and figure out that you were up at Lake Soandso and you could use some new camping gear.

Were you worried about someone besides the corporations that keep detailed records of everything you do?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just leave your phone on and at home.
View Quote
you are supposed to place it on a bus, so it appears to be moving.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Some corporation will buy that info and figure out that you were up at Lake Soandso and you could use some new camping gear.

Were you worried about someone besides the corporations that keep detailed records of everything you do?
View Quote

hi, Mr. FBI... get a fucking warrant.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Seemed pretty obvious when pretty much all companies stopped using removable batteries all at once that something was up.

Also when commercial fishing we would turn our phones off (no service anyway) Our older flip phones turned back on full battery. When we got free upgraded to new "smart phones" they were damn near dead after several days.  At first you think wtf what a POS until the light bulb goes off..... Power off means the screen is off and nothing else.
View Quote
waterproofing?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Won’t matter a lot. Eventually you reconnect to the cell network ms accelerometer data will put you in the area anyway. It’s that good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not that I would ever attend such a threat on our democracy event but I keep a faraday phone pouch with me.

Won’t matter a lot. Eventually you reconnect to the cell network ms accelerometer data will put you in the area anyway. It’s that good.

+1

That’s how it was explained here in a prior thread.  Which apps, etc gather that, I don’t understand/know, but it’s done and when you reconnect to service, all that information is sent.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

hi, Mr. FBI... get a fucking warrant.
View Quote

I got news for you. Nobody needs one. You can go buy that info on the open market, yourself. Your life history has been on commercial sale since before the day you were born.

Why should the FBI need a warrant to go buy stuff that is as available as the stuff on a Walmart shelf?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
i treat my cell phone like its a landline
View Quote

Sorta defeats the purpose, no?  Or are just referring to the times when you are out trespassing on the kings property?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Leave the phone at home frequently, to set precedent.
Leave it for the trip, use cash, use a mask with structure, put a small rock in your shoe, drive a vehicle with no tracking, loose fitting clothes and reflective sunglasses.
If photo or video is needed take a dedicated camera.
View Quote
you forgot 3 inch lift shoes
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It only works for incriminating white extremists. Inadequate for Leftist mules stealing elections
View Quote
and rioting and looting! completely ineffective! it's quite a mystery!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If your battery is totally drained you might not get tracked.  Even in the OFF position they can still potentially register your phone.

When a Stingray tracking device is turned on, it pretends it is a cell phone tower. It simulates the call out from the tower to nearby phones, even when they’re not turned on. Those phones, in turn, respond to the Stingray by reporting in their phone number and a unique electronic serial ID number.
View Quote

View Quote

+1

Yup, very basic stuff but incredibly important to understand.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Why would leave your phone at home when engaged in legal, Constitutionally protected speech, peaceable assembly and petition of government for redress of grievances?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I got news for you. Nobody needs one. You can go buy that info on the open market, yourself. Your life history has been on commercial sale since before the day you were born.

Why should the FBI need a warrant to go buy stuff that is as available as the stuff on a Walmart shelf?
View Quote

Obviously it was a tongue in cheek reponse ... to your post... Sheldon.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
After two decades of smoking cavemen stupid enough to use cell and sat phones with UAV's it's hard to take Uhmerican's who can't disconnect from their social contract seriously.
View Quote

Im not actively engaged in combat with the united states military
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Won't matter a lot. Eventually you reconnect to the cell network ms accelerometer data will put you in the area anyway. It's that good.
View Quote
I agree with that to a point, but I bet it isn't accurate over 100's of miles?
Also, that's why I store my phone taped inside my wheel, just tape an equal amount of weights on the opposite inside of the rim!
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have told this story before, but it bares repeating. There was an episode of the first 48 where a murder suspect had someone take his phone 120 miles away from Tulsa to OKC on the day of the murder, to throw detectives off his tracks. His alibi was he was getting his daughter from OKC.They figured out he wasn't with his phone somehow. I don't recall how.
View Quote
look where the phone is and collect video surveillance?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Obviously it was a tongue in cheek reponse ... to your post... Sheldon.
View Quote

Poe's Law. Lots of people really believe the FBI needs a warrant. Lots of people are worried about the government doing things that are not even one tenth of what regular businesses do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is the issue with folks over-simplifying burners; if there is a pattern of phone 'a' being online 99% of the time, but when it's not, phone 'b' comes online (and only when 'a' is offline) that's an easy pattern for AI to catch.
View Quote

That, and you should NEVER have a burner device in the same area as your other devices or they will associate vie wireless and bluetooth.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That, and you should NEVER have a burner device in the same area as your other devices or they will associate vie wireless and bluetooth.
View Quote

Good post.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Can't do that, the reason is that these big high-tech companies have figured out how to tell who exactly you are by listening to you talk on someone elses' phone. I know I intentionally left my cell phone at home, and I went to see my lawyer.

When I was with my lawyer she leaves her phone on her desk.... And later when I get home, I get flooded with all kinds of ads related to what we discussed. Yeah "(in my best Jim Nabors/Gomer Pyle-voice) surprise, surprise, surprise!" Seems pretty logical, since FB had like billions of image of people's face. Have a nice day everyone.
View Quote
Chase's phone prompt has an option to register your voice for recognition, as "account security".
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why would leave your phone at home when engaged in legal, Constitutionally protected speech, peaceable assembly and petition of government for redress of grievances?
View Quote

For the same reason the founders dressed up as Indians to destroy commercial property.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Screen name does not check out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is the issue with folks over-simplifying burners; if there is a pattern of phone 'a' being online 99% of the time, but when it's not, phone 'b' comes online (and only when 'a' is offline) that's an easy pattern for AI to catch.
View Quote

As long as there is some dissociative distance it's not going to be easy to spot.

Phone A should never go off, it can just sit at home or ride the back of a delivery truck.

Phone B should be clean and only used once. Or skip phone B altogether...
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Makes you wonder why all cell phones now have non-removable batteries when 15 years ago it was the norm. Yeah, I know it's probably cheaper and makes for a thinner phone...

Also, will never cease to amaze me how much resources they threw at tracking down the Jan. 6th protesters. Countless man hours, publishing photos for the general public to ID, all the cell phone geofence warrants. All for what amounts to trespassing with minimal property damage. Compare this to the responses to anti-Trump protesters outside the white house (who set fires), presidential inaugural protests or any of the 2020 BLM riots.

Anarcho-tyranny state pretty much describes it. White people are not allowed to misbehave and will be crushed by the state. It sounds dramatic to say but sad to say its the truth.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Makes you wonder why all cell phones now have non-removable batteries when 15 years ago it was the norm. Yeah, I know it's probably cheaper and makes for a thinner phone...

Also, will never cease to amaze me how much resources they threw at tracking down the Jan. 6th protesters. Countless man hours, publishing photos for the general public to ID, all the cell phone geofence warrants. All for what amounts to trespassing with minimal property damage. Compare this to the responses to anti-Trump protesters outside the white house (who set fires), presidential inaugural protests or any of the 2020 BLM riots.

Anarcho-tyranny state pretty much describes it. White people are not allowed to misbehave and will be crushed by the state. It sounds dramatic to say but sad to say its the truth.
View Quote

Funny how people are getting so many years in jail over some minimal property damage. What happened there?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There are a ton of variables to consider if you're attempting to move with no signature. Good luck. The surveillance state is here.

The mere act of leaving your phone at home isn't enough. You have long established patterns that have been collected as various forms of data. A disruption of those patterns... is also a data point that will be keyed in on and evaluated.

It would be a glaring anomaly in the baseline.

Use of cash... avoidance of cameras... your vehicle probably has location data.

There are so many variables to consider when attempting to move with reduced or zero signature in this current environment.
View Quote

All of this.

It’s nearly impossible to move without being tracked in some measure.

Leave your phone at home? Freeway cameras are going to track your movement.

Avoid the freeways? There are gas station and home security cameras to worry about.

Rent a car? Data to track on that too.

Don’t kid yourself about living in a surveillance state.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#41]
It sounds like the solution to this is to completely discharge the phone battery.
Then carry a portable charger with you to power it up when you need it.

Quoted:
Seemed pretty obvious when pretty much all companies stopped using removable batteries all at once that something was up.

Also when commercial fishing we would turn our phones off (no service anyway) Our older flip phones turned back on full battery. When we got free upgraded to new "smart phones" they were damn near dead after several days.  At first you think wtf what a POS until the light bulb goes off..... Power off means the screen is off and nothing else.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

All of this.

It's nearly impossible to move without being tracked in some measure.

Leave your phone at home? Freeway cameras are going to track your movement.

Avoid the freeways? There are gas station and home security cameras to worry about.

Rent a car? Data to track on that too.

Don't kid yourself about living in a surveillance state.
View Quote
Wait until we get the Elon implant lol.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Which begs the question, do faraday cage is actually work. Can your phone internally track where you’re going and movement? Then again, my conspiracy mind may be hitting peak. I’m getting ready to hit the gym and maybe that’s what I need.
View Quote

If you put your phone in a Faraday cage and it won't receive a text it isn't connected to the cell tower.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep the cops invited them in.

So what some of them attempted to break down the doors to the chamber with intent to change the legal outcome of a national election? Completely irrelevant
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Few if any phones have a physical switch, so there is no "position" for off.  I'm not sure why you'd say something like that unless you were looking to mislead people.

Also, if it really is off, then it won't be talking to anything.  The problem is that people incorrectly conflate the screen off suspend state with the whole phone being off, just like you did.  If the phone's radios are powered, it can give you away.  They can be turned off with firmware controls, but you'd have to trust the phone to really tell them to turn off, and the firmware to really turn off when told to - I would not make that bet.  So you need to be able to remove the battery or have a physical switch that disconnects the electrical connection between the battery and the rest of the phone.  Either of those will make it completely stop spying on you and stop giving away your location and other data.  But, as someone else posted, now you have to worry about everyone else's phone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Im not actively engaged in combat with the united states military
View Quote
Just because you aren't fighting with them, doesn't mean they aren't fighting with you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep the cops invited them in.

So what some of them attempted to break down the doors to the chamber with intent to change the legal outcome of a national election? Completely irrelevant
View Quote

You see mobs carrying a noose and chanting "Hang Mike Pence!" pretty much every day. On the way to a picnic in the park, and stuff.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all.
View Quote

I assume they'll send bachelors?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#50]
This is the ultimate game of "SQUIRREL!"

Who are we worried about as the big data collectors and tracking your every movement? Remind me again.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top