Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remember the constant threat on "Hogan's Heroes" was to be sent to the Russian front.

If you can, read "The Forgotten Soldier." It's incredible what human beings can withstand. If they don't get killed first.
View Quote

This is an outstanding book.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
How quaint.....both sides wearing uniforms.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The "blue Division" (Spanish  volunteers) fought well in Russia.  Hell Turkey even sent a division to fight there.  

Fins
Norwegians
Belgians,
French,
Romanian,
Bulgarian,
Polish,
Estonian.
Latvian,
Lithuanian,
Swedish,
Swiss,
Italian,
Croatians

And many others helped to fight the Communist.  Too bad the NAZI party and their stupidity / mass murdering B.S. ruined most of that.

Hard to tell if it is a good thing or a bad thing.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are a very stupid person.  

Entire Army groups were ground into dust on both sides in hours day after day in some cases and you think it was fun and games.  

Here is a clue, the Eastern Front in WWII wasn't a Google Ap for your kids to play  with.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wonder how encumbering those German gas mask canisters were to the troops?

Seems it was standard equipment even in the latter part of the war where in most pics, they mostly all still carry them

I don't seem to recall that gas was ever used in WWII even on the Eastern Front. Or was it?
View Quote

It was required to be carried.  Only real use was as a face mask in the really cold winters or in the dusty dry summers.  Mostly used to carry extra ammo / sox etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Entire Army groups were ground into dust on both sides in hours day after day in some cases and you think it was fun and games.  

Here is a clue, the Eastern Front in WWII wasn't a Google Ap for your kids to play  with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great painting of the Blue Division
https://media.moddb.com/images/members/1/442/441777/darte2.jpg
View Quote

That's a painting.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's a painting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a painting.

That's why he said it was a great painting.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember the constant threat on "Hogan's Heroes" was to be sent to the Russian front.

If you can, read "The Forgotten Soldier." It's incredible what human beings can withstand. If they don't get killed first.

Even though there is some debate about whether it is a work of fiction or non-fiction it's an excellent read.I've read quite a few personnel accounts of the eastern front and The Forgotten Soldier gives you the best idea of the horror they experienced.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Post War.... after WWII, the Soviets dumped the Mandarin Collar and went back to the Pre-War uniform collar.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Haven't seen that one before, thanks for posting it.

I always look for my uncle in Eastern Front footage....maybe one of these days I'll see him in a clip.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Another book that parallels The Forgotten Soldier experience is Blood Red Snow.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a painting.

Let me rephrase, "Now that's a painting!"
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemme guess...  re-enactor?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The internets are serious business.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The pics of when the Germans torpedoed Pearl Harbor in 1898 and sunk the carrier Alabama were cool too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Watching Band of Brothers now and the Eastern front infantry battles. The Ardnennes offensive was brutal.

The pictures of the West are amazing. Stalin didn't fuck around.
The pics of when the Germans torpedoed Pearl Harbor in 1898 and sunk the carrier Alabama were cool too.
Lmao

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Very informative. That link mentioned a Blue Division of all Spaish troops that were assigned to the German army to fight only on the eastern front. Had never heard that before.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#19]
A quote from a German soldier about the battle for Stalingrad.

"Stalingrad is no longer a town. By day it is an enormous cloud of burning, blinding smoke; it is a vast furnace lit by the reflection of the flames. And when night arrives, one of those scorching, howling, bleeding nights, the dogs plunge into the Volga and swim desperately to gain the other bank. The nights of Stalingrad are a terror for them. Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones can not bear it for long; only men endure."
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hitler backed Franco during their civil war, He really wanted to use Spain to attack England but Spain wanted to stay out if, I would imagine he gave some troops to fight for the Germans as a peace offering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It always amazes me the amount of death and destruction that was the eastern front.

More Photos

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/05-7P2uR29.png

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/10-iRewpyY.png

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/16-UQM3baM.png

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/31-5Zi2RVH.png

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2ZMPGg8.jpg

I also didn't realize that Spain had managed to field a small division on the Eastern Front against the Russians. Not a huge surprise because of Franco fighting the Soviet backed republicans, but new to me.

http://knowledgeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/5OQ4n5v.jpg

Hitler backed Franco during their civil war, He really wanted to use Spain to attack England but Spain wanted to stay out if, I would imagine he gave some troops to fight for the Germans as a peace offering.

While sneaking Sephardic Jews out through Spanish embassies in occupied areas under Hitler's nose.  The men hated each other.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I work in film.  

Does that make my statement untrue?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The "blue Division" (Spanish  volunteers) fought well in Russia.  Hell Turkey even sent a division to fight there.  

Fins
Norwegians
Belgians,
French,
Romanian,
Bulgarian,
Polish,
Estonian.
Latvian,
Lithuanian,
Swedish,
Swiss,
Italian,
Croatians

And many others helped to fight the Communist.  Too bad the NAZI party and their stupidity / mass murdering B.S. ruined most of that.

View Quote

I know that there were plenty of Balkan Muslims in German service, and some Euros colloquially call them "Turks," but can you cite an example of Turkey sending a division similar to the Spanish Blue Division?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know that there were plenty of Balkan Muslims in German service, and some Euros colloquially call them "Turks," but can you cite an example of Turkey sending a division similar to the Spanish Blue Division?
View Quote

I have a 1938 Turk Mauser with German carved into the butt stock.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fins
Norwegians
Belgians,
French,
Romanian,
Bulgarian,
Polish,
Estonian.
Latvian,
Lithuanian,
Swedish,
Swiss,
Italian,
Croatians

To the very best of my knowledge,there was no such. There is an understandable confusion as the 450th Turkestanisches Battalion was raised from Turkmen,Azeri,Uzbeks et al who were Soviet conscripts that were captured and changed sides.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you buy it straight out of the Century trash can?  Or were there previous owners?

I have a 1938 Turk that has all German Imperial markings because it started off as a German rifle before it got re-arsenaled into a 1938, but I doubt any German solder markings on the stock would survive being K Kaled.

$39 Mausers.  Salad days for milsurp.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Russian cutie pie at 3:20

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Great thread.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#29]
There was a Jewish unit(fixed) too in the SS, basically the Russians shoot or the Germans shoot you....

The Japanese used gas in China, not sure where else. We sent mustard gas to Italy, one of the ships carrying it was hit and released it into the harbor and city.

here is some info, on various uses. The Germans use of gas seemed almost exclusive to the death camps.

gas info
link

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If anyone is interested Dan Carlin has a three part podcast series on the eastern front in WWII. It's called Ghosts of the Ostfront and it's excellent.
View Quote

Can't wait to start this. I'm in part 5/6 of his WW1 series and it is fantastic. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Not the Eastern front but I'm reading a book called Memoirs by Major Dick Winters. Good read about the 101st Airborne and Easy Company.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Not to disparage the contribution of our soldiers who shall be dear to my heart till the day I die: WWII happened in Western Asia and Eastern Europe.  Far I to the future, America's contribution to the war will be remembered in terms of material--truly prodigious production. US steel production during the war boggles the mind. America--an entire continent--was virtually depleted of all her high-iron content ore.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There was a Jewish division too in the SS, basically the Russians shoot or the Germans shoot you....

The Japanese used gas in China, not sure where else. We sent mustard gas to Italy, one of the ships carrying it was hit and released it into the harbor and city.

here is some info, on various uses. The Germans use of gas seemed almost exclusive to the death camps.

gas info
link

View Quote

A few desperate collaborators is not a "division."

A lot of those SS units comprised of Allied nationalities were a few individuals dressed up for propaganda photos.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fins
Norwegians
Belgians,
French,
Romanian,
Bulgarian,
Polish,
Estonian.
Latvian,
Lithuanian,
Swedish,
Swiss,
Italian,
Croatians

Off the top of my head I want to day the 161st. Div was based on Turk. Volunteers. I'll see if I can look it up though. Don't take that as gospel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There was a Jewish division too in the SS, basically the Russians shoot or the Germans shoot you....

gas info
link

View Quote

There was no Jewish SS division.  

The Japanese used gas in China yep, and also bio.  Probably the most extensive biowarfare in modern history occurred there.  Some of the agents released still cause problems today.  

The mustard gas release in Bari was definitely terrible.  The article you linked is on a kook site though and the article is a revisionist pro-nazi attempt to paint the use of chemical warfare in ww2 as some kind of Allied war crime against an innocent Germany.  It's horseshit.

Hitler thought the Allies had the same nerve gasses he had because the information they were derived from was commonly available in scientific communities on both sides prior to the war.  He was himself gassed in ww1 and people make a lot of that, but simple military necessity and the expectation of a retaliation in kind just made gas warfare a bad decision.  It wasn't that they were holding themselves back out of humanity, gas just sucks.  It's not all that useful in war.  It's scary and horrible and nightmarish and all that, but more importantly to Generals, it really provides nothing on the battlefield other than novelty, and novelty only works once.  Then you spend the rest of the goddamn war in masks with basically just your dipshits and newbs keeling over from it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Horrible.

It is the nature of man.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Could you imagine the public outrage if this occurred today?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No. I work in film.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I work in film.  

Your "statement" is a CoC violation.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have Blood Red Snow as well. Both are very good books.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A lot of those SS units comprised of Allied nationalities were a few individuals dressed up for propaganda photos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

gas info
link

I could have gotten the numbers fudged, I know they also has some russian prisoners that were forced,and some other penal units.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The Japanese used gas in China yep, and also bio.  Probably the most extensive biowarfare in modern history occurred there.  Some of the agents released still cause problems today.  

The mustard gas release in Bari was definitely terrible.  The article you linked is on a kook site though and the article is a revisionist pro-nazi attempt to paint the use of chemical warfare in ww2 as some kind of Allied war crime against an innocent Germany.  It's horseshit.

Hitler thought the Allies had the same nerve gasses he had because the information they were derived from was commonly available in scientific communities on both sides prior to the war.  He was himself gassed in ww1 and people make a lot of that, but simple military necessity and the expectation of a retaliation in kind just made gas warfare a bad decision.  It wasn't that they were holding themselves back out of humanity, gas just sucks.  It's not all that useful in war.  It's scary and horrible and nightmarish and all that, but more importantly to Generals, it really provides nothing on the battlefield other than novelty, and novelty only works once.  Then you spend the rest of the goddamn war in masks with basically just your dipshits and newbs keeling over from it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

gas info
link

my bad on the source, I had only read to where the Italian part was. It happened to be the first source that had what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#42]
OH NO!!  Someone has been micro-aggressed.  Proceed to your closest safety zone.
ETA for clarity: Star Trek guy
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

gas info
link

View Quote

Got a link on that?

Also what bio agents did the Japanese use in China?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s483.photobucket.com/user/Drew1005/media/1417818502439_zpsvycdkvre.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/Drew1005/1417818502439_zpsvycdkvre.gif</a>

<a href="http://s483.photobucket.com/user/Drew1005/media/1393363528582_zps0b8d035b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/Drew1005/1393363528582_zps0b8d035b.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s483.photobucket.com/user/Drew1005/media/1392154918581_zps3b830adf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/Drew1005/1392154918581_zps3b830adf.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s483.photobucket.com/user/Drew1005/media/1393365790991_zps9376d7f4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/Drew1005/1393365790991_zps9376d7f4.jpg</a>
View Quote

The bottom one is a modern reenactor as well as maybe the one above.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#46]

War is hell.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OH NO!!  Someone has been micro-aggressed.  Proceed to your closest safety zone.
ETA for clarity: Star Trek guy
View Quote

that IS a moon.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Great thread.  I've been watching "World War II In Colour" on Netflix. Well worth a watch.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Great thread.  I've been watching "World War II In Colour" on Netflix. Well worth a watch.
View Quote

I've been wanting to watch it, but is it really any different than the "colour" WWII shows The History Channel has been playing for the last decade?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've been wanting to watch it, but is it really any different than the "colour" WWII shows The History Channel has been playing for the last decade?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the same show.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top