Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Easiest solution - fly to Maine. Check a handgun or 2 in your luggage.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And hope/pray your plane doesn’t get diverted to an airport in a non-friendly state….
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all for the info.

If I take anything I will take a revolver and I will go through Pennsylvania and slip across New York to Vermont
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't need a gun in Maine.  I need one all the way to Maine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty dumb that you can even protect yourself or your family legally. Not really liking the idea of being unarmed, not liking the idea of getting caught with a firearm for whatever reason, and sitting in jail. That doesn't support the family either.

Traveling to Maine soon as well, will stay in NH and upstate NY.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can drive.  Just don't stop and don't consent to a search.  There is also an airport, so no parachute needed.
View Quote

You're no fun.  

There is any way to get there that doesn't go through NY if driving.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That big TEXAS sticker of a license plate is probably a red flag.
View Quote

You'd be surprised at the amount of Texas plates i see up here in just my small town.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You'd be surprised at the amount of Texas plates i see up here in just my small town.
View Quote

NH is incredible in the summer. Really. The entire state looks like a postcard. Except for Manchester of course. Spending summers there and winters here would be great.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And hope/pray your plane doesn’t get diverted to an airport in a non-friendly state….
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that happens, don't collect your luggage. The airline will get it to you eventually.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Crime happens everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I did 80mph from Albany to cape cod last week from midnight to 440am.
Use waze and don't worry.
Have a fun trip.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you take a gun up there and get caught with it, expect jail time.
View Quote

And don't forget to put in hollowpoints for extra time in lockup with DeShawn!!!

OP...one traffic stop in those shitholes, with a gun, will fuck up your life with legal shit for years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Personaly, I never cross the Mason-Dixon Line if I can help it
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd love to take the family to Niagara Falls but gotta leave the Ruger LC9s at home (and it only holds 7 rounds).  New York sucks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was not asking permission; I go where I want.  Besides, my county is bigger than your state. Fuck, yall need a bunch of bud lights up there to chill out.  
yall are some testy fuckers up there.  Bunch of defensive sheps up there, can dish it but not take it. I guess if I was freezing my nuts of 8 months out of the year i would be pissy too.

View Quote

Live free or die....cold
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What say you ARF?
View Quote
I would say don't bring the gun or guns.  I could elaborate on reasons not to, but you don't care.  So, uh, whatever.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Maine is closed to all tourists. The Moose out front should have told you.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would say don't bring the gun or guns.  I could elaborate on reasons not to, but you don't care.  So, uh, whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What say you ARF?

I was looking for a legal way to at least pass through those less than free states.
There seems to be a way but the law enforcement in those states are crooked and find ways to make it hard on those that come through with weapons.

I have been in several situations in my life where my father or myself have stopped a problem by having a gun. Shots were not fired.

I have carried guns in Texas for years before it was legal. But I am a white man with privilege.  In the past in Texas if you were a white man doing nothing wrong and were in good standing and had no problems with the law cops would simply look the other way.

If you were a woman especially a white woman you could literally carry a gun anywhere and get away with it. Even though it was probably against the law and  only defendable by several conditions that you had to meet.

But I have also had loaded guns within reach in other places that were not so kind.
I carry a pocket knife or two or three everyday also and I have not even asked about that yet.

Now being a white man who is in good standing with no problems with the law makes you a target to be fucked with.

One has to get through New York to get to Maine. At minimum it looks like 200 miles of New York if you bypass New York City and go through Albany.
Looks like it is legal to do this if you jump through some hoops.

If I did not care I would not be asking these questions.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

But it is sad when a law abiding citizen is more concerned of what the police will do to him for driving through New York than he is about walking the streets of Houston or even New Orleans.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you take a gun up there and get caught with it, expect jail time.
View Quote

NH has better gun laws that Texas does.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Get a large maglight and keep in in the car where it is handy, get a good knife, like an Emerson.  

The chance of you needing a gun in those states vs getting pulled over in NJ and messed with cause of those Texas plates are very different.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was looking for a legal way to at least pass through those less than free states.
There seems to be a way but the law enforcement in those states are crooked and find ways to make it hard on those that come through with weapons.

I have been in several situations in my life where my father or myself have stopped a problem by having a gun. Shots were not fired.

I have carried guns in Texas for years before it was legal. But I am a white man with privilege.  In the past in Texas if you were a white man doing nothing wrong and were in good standing and had no problems with the law cops would simply look the other way.

If you were a woman especially a white woman you could literally carry a gun anywhere and get away with it. Even though it was probably against the law and  only defendable by several conditions that you had to meet.

But I have also had loaded guns within reach in other places that were not so kind.
I carry a pocket knife or two or three everyday also and I have not even asked about that yet.

Now being a white man who is in good standing with no problems with the law makes you a target to be fucked with.

One has to get through New York to get to Maine. At minimum it looks like 200 miles of New York if you bypass New York City and go through Albany.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What say you ARF?

Yes, you can travel through those states with the firearm unloaded, cased, locked and not in the regularly accessible area of the passenger cab (or however the statute frames it).  The law puts some bounds on what it means to be "passing through" a state, and that greatly limits what you can do there.

When going to the northeast, I like keeping as many options open as I can, because everything is right there: NYC, Boston, the coast of Rhode Island, Canada, going into DC on the way back, taking a shortcut through Canada on the way back.  Those are all options, options I, admittedly, seldom take full advantage of, but it is nice to have those options available with the least amount of hassle.  I could leave a gun somewhere and double back; drop ship it to myself somewhere else; leave it with someone longer term for when I come back the following year, but that's not terribly congruent with just going where I want, when I want, for however long or short I want.

I've been to places where US federal LE has told me I should have had a gun with me, regardless of how the law reads.  "There's what the law says, and there's what you really should be doing."  From multiple groups of LE.  But, the northeastern US isn't one of those places.

My typical routing is via Albany, West Point, or NYC.  Personally, I prefer to go through NYC, even with the tolls and traffic being what they are.  This is partly because NYC has better options, and partly because upstate NY is some of the most depressing stuff I've seen in recent memory.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just asking, Fuck sorry to rattle your cage.  I don't know jack shit about your state that is why I was asking. why the fuck am I even thinking about going up to Yankee land I must be out of my fucking mind.  Oh that is right I'm married.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NH has far better gun laws than TX and you are worried about us?

As for the rest of them, just don’t. Stay in TX.

Just asking, Fuck sorry to rattle your cage.  I don't know jack shit about your state that is why I was asking. why the fuck am I even thinking about going up to Yankee land I must be out of my fucking mind.  Oh that is right I'm married.

Because summers are gorgeous in Upstate NY, VT, NH and ME.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just don’t pick up your bag if it does.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
and partly because upstate NY is some of the most depressing stuff I've seen in recent memory.
View Quote

Where are you going upstate?  10 miles north of NYC?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#26]
1. See "safe passage" provisions in FOPA 86

2. I'm not going to attempt to explain the seemingly contradictory statutes in MA, but there's a pretty good argument that non-residents can possess "regular" non-scary long guns. Like a pump action or lever action with a fixed (non-detachable) magazine up to 5 shotgun rounds or 10 rifle rounds. You'll get differing opinions from various know-it-alls on this.

3. Don't do dumb shit to draw attention even if you adhere to the above.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Helllllll to the no. Yes FOPA exists and you may beat the rap but you definitely wont beat the ride.

The northeast is not free America
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn. It sure is easy to take living in a free state with strong gun rights for granted.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Can you bring a knife into the fucking shithole that is New York State?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and partly because upstate NY is some of the most depressing stuff I've seen in recent memory.

Catskills, Champlain Canal corridor., stuff like that.  The level of decay is depressing.  Economic patterns shift, as do travel and leisure patterns; it's taken a toll.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#31]
You'd be fine in the northern 3 New England states.
And as far as I recall, you shouldn't have a problem in CT with an unloaded long gun in the car. (Unless something's changed?)
I've walked right through Logan Airport with cased long guns, although I wouldn't recommend stopping in MA with a firearm, in general.

It's NY that's the bitch of the bunch. They cut off New England from the rest of the country and
are absolute fuckin' tyrants.
If you do it, don't speed and plan the shortest way to get through.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Vermont has a 15 round capacity limit, other than that you're good to go. Maine and New Hampshire bring wherever you want, we welcome you.

Don't even think about bringing guns to CT, RI, or MA. Yes they will be more likely to search your vehicle with out of state plates, especially plates from a border state. Yes you will go to jail if they find a firearm (in some cases even just ammo) and yes you will be charged with a felony.

I had to drive to Boston for something today. I didn't like it but I only brought a knife. It sucks, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There are no provisions for just passing through.
View Quote

There are, but I don't want to be the one to test the the theory going thru NJ, NY or MA.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/traveling-with-firearms/private-vehicles/#:~:text=Per%20federal%20law%2018%20USC,as%20well%20as%20the%20destination.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I normally do not travel without a Winchester defender 8 shot shotgun and at the very least a 5 shot 38.

Most times I have A Glock 17 or BHP. Sometimes an AR or AK

In the past I have Run silent Run deep with the Thought I will have to play stupid or lie like a motherfucker.  But I am no good at lying. This act stupid and hide the guns when I'm in these states has served me well in Illinois, Maryland and DC in the past, many years ago, but I want to do things right and not be afraid.

How am I going to get through New York or Maryland or New Hampshire, Connecticut, New Jersy, and Massachusetts.

the Idea is to drive into Maine.  But we may want to spend a night or two in the Boston area and I assume Pennsylvania is good to go but maybe not?

Down here we have truck guns and they never leave the truck.  Just like having a jack and tools.  

I know I can look up the laws but what is law and what they will do to a guy with Texas plates may be two different things.

What say you ARF?
View Quote
NH absolutely zero issues.  VT about the only issue might be hi-cap mags.   Don't know of issue in ME; they could exist, but I am not aware of any.  CT = commieville.  MA, NY = a couple of the most draconian anti-freedom states in the country.  MA even worse than NY.  PA likely fine.
Fuck staying in Boston area or anywhere in MA.   Keep moving until you are in NH.   You can go to Maine from there.
I Don't know where you're coming from, but go I87 or 90 to Albany, then hop over into VT , NH, Maine.   Then you're only doing one commie state

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I was not asking permission; I go where I want.  Besides, my county is bigger than your state. Fuck, yall need a bunch of bud lights up there to chill out.  
yall are some testy fuckers up there.  Bunch of defensive sheps up there, can dish it but not take it. I guess if I was freezing my nuts of 8 months out of the year i would be pissy too.

View Quote
I'd say that defensive, hostile attitude is turning off a lot of people who are trying to help you
I already told you what you need to know.  Follow it or dont - ZFG - out
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#36]
It's just not worth it don't do it.

I just moved out of Maine and there you have to run the gauntlet because Maine is landlocked by shitty states.

I spent countless hours scheming on literally smuggling my legal firearms and ammo and stressing about moving my armory across the country. Ultimately I bought a used commercial camper top with no windows and complete with legit company logos and put about 1200 lbs of my ammo in my pickup buried behind my 1400lb diesel generator that nobody would be moving to see what was in those boxes. All the guns went into the big moving trucks hidden away.

The thought of getting into a wreck and many thousands of rounds of ammo and banned pistols mags and rifles spilled all over the NY thruway is more than enough to just leave my gun home if I were you.

Equal justice and rule of law would have to prevail for fopa to mean anything.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You'd be fine in the northern 3 New England states.
And as far as I recall, you shouldn't have a problem in CT with an unloaded long gun in the car. (Unless something's changed?)
I've walked right through Logan Airport with cased long guns, although I wouldn't recommend stopping in MA with a firearm, in general.

It's NY that's the bitch of the bunch. They cut off New England from the rest of the country and
are absolute fuckin' tyrants.
If you do it, don't speed and plan the shortest way to get through.
View Quote

this. And realize the NY cops won't recognize fopa they will arrest you and then let the DA figure it out. It sucks and they need to get bitch slapped for this.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Lots of Northeastern cops don't give a fuck about the law, they hate guns and gun owners.
They will destroy your life for the brownie points they will score for taking a dangerous gun off the street.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Are you traveling with a firearm,  or drugs?  It's hard to believe people here are actually discussing how to drive from point a to point b with a firearm in the US.  

A man should have no fear from a good government.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#41]
You guys are saying the shitty NE states will jack someone up traveling with an unloaded, locked up fudd friendly long arm? So not even a double barrel shotgun, levergun or bolt action rifle regardless of FOPA? That sounds worse than Canada (unless I'm not up to date there).
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted: New Hampshire is far free-er than TX. Constitutional carry state.
No restrictions on where (think bar or restaurant). No laws restricting the age at which a person may possess and carry firearms. Castle Doctrine/ Stand Your ground
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted: NH has looser gun laws then TX
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Maryland is not a problem, just keep the guns unloaded in a case.

Other states I wont comment on.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted: You can drive.  Just don't stop and don't consent to a search.  There is also an airport, so no parachute needed.
View Quote

NH has an airport?!?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#46]
NH, CT, MD, ME are all fine.  MD you can now get a carry permit if you take their class (I got it) but they won't fuck with you for legit transport or having it in your abode.  

NY/MA/NJ is the issue.  If you're traveling through in compliance with federal protections, that's fine, but you had better just be passing through.  No mags over 10rd.  CT, ME, NH you can get carry permits by mail, though NH is constitutional carry, and ME is partially so (parks you need their CCW, which is basically the whole point of Maine, so I got it).
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There are no provisions for just passing through.
View Quote

FOPA has those provisions but if you stop for the night they are effectively nullified. NY and MA are notorious for ignoring FOPA & making you spend tens of thousands of dollars on lawyers
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Unloaded, cased and in the trunk. Try to plan the last leg of your trip to drive through from Pennsylvania to Maine. No overnighting in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Massachusetts. Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are Constitutional Carry states.

ETA: No hollow point ammunition in New Jersey. You may beat the case, but you won't beat the ride.
View Quote
Maryland is fine, just don't carry it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted: NH has better gun laws that Texas does.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#50]
In NJ, firearms must be unloaded. In a locked case. Yes you can pass through.  Some of the comments
here are just silly.  For example, if you bring your Glock 17,  you cannot have a magazine in your possession that hold more than 10 rounds.

That is just plain ignored by the police in all of the most extreme cases. For example, I have been to indoor gun ranges in New Jersey, and people are obviously using 15+ round magazines and no one is batting an eye. Now, if you are selling drugs and are caught and have a 17 round mag, it will be an extra charge of the slap you with.

I’d leave the shotgun home. 38 is common.  And yes, I’m from the communist state of NJ.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top