Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh, and throw every conceivable tool possible into the truck. I swear I take enough tools to tear apart the truck, including the wiring, and put it all back together.

Why? Cause shit happens and the worst possible time. Tools are priceless in those moments. Even if it ain’t the right tool, if I bring enough, I’ll make something work.
View Quote

I’m the same way. And I’m usually towing a boat, so there’s that. Usually headed to saltwater, so I clean everything when I get back, not before. And between all the tools and fishing stuff, cosmetics don’t matter until I get back. We look like the Beverly hillbillies. Kayaks, boat, beach cart, beach chairs, sand spikes, and rods of all kinds. And all the paraphernalia.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a name for this "ritual". It's called PMCS.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I run up and down the road in a semi-truck, so my ritual is pretty standard; check the lights, kick the tires, clean the glass, check trailer connection, make sure top is securely on coffee cup, then take off.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

She build this entire deck around her "stock tank pool" on her own.....I hate Pinterest!!!

https://i.imgur.com/UrHQPos.jpg
View Quote

My wife has been talking about one of these stock tank pools for the last month. Our 2 local feed stores are both sold out. She has been bugging them weekly I am pretty sure. I am anticipating that at any second she will rush into the room and yell operation stock tank is a go, get you stuff we must leave now to pick it up. And us headed to the feed store in pickup truck with in the min.

There is nothing worse than taking any kind of road trip in a dirty or cluttered vehicle. If you drop or misplace anything you have to contend with layers of trash or clutter receipts to find said object while your traveling is never fun. Cleaning any vehicle before road trip is always a necessity especially the winshilds, I cant stand a dirty windshield when driving long distances I always give the inside a good cleaning before I leave.  As a matter of fact I even like to give the under carriage and engine an nice clean up just in case there is some kind of leak while on the road. It makes spoting where its coming from much easier than trying to see through a bunch of built up goop and crud.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Clean the interior, check tire pressure, check the spare, check all fluids, top up the washer fluid, check windshield wipers, inventory the "car box" for contents.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Same as OP in most things.  I like having the precleaned/prewaxed car for making it easier to clean off the bugs hit on the highway, and present a neater appearance to draw the least amount of officer attention should I get stopped for *mild* speeding.

I also Rain-X all windows and side mirrors, top off Rain-x washer fluid, add air compressor, Slime, inverter, towels, small soft cooler behind seat for snacks/water, and metal detector for side adventures during breaks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#8]
All things I should do.   But to be honest, I usually just fill up the tank, check the oil, and maybe run through a car wash.   Otherwise, I just pack and give the house a good cleaning, make sure all the laundry’s washed and put away, take all garbages out, get the lawn mowed, etc.   I hate coming home from a trip and dealing with all that crap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
check the spare
View Quote

That is something most people forget. It seems half the time someone I know gets a flat, their spare tire is flat also. I just changed a friends tire a couple days ago and her spare was at half the recommended pressure. I already assumed the spare would need air so I brought my portable air tank. Early this morning another one of my friends had a flat, and his spare was completely useless also.

I check all my spares every fall and inflate them to the max psi indicated on the sidewall. If I need to use it, I can then deflate to the psi listed in the door jamb.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I fill a cooler with drinks and ice I guess
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#11]
GD: OP posts a thread, mentions wife but no pics, countless "Rulez" and "GTFO" posts

Also GD: OP posts a thread, mentions wife AND post pics of some fine legs, and countless posts actually replying to the topic and not about the wife

WTF 2020
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#12]
1) load my truck
2) drive truck to Wawa for fuel
3) drive truck to work to put on a lift and fix mechanical issue I just discovered.
4) leave a day late

Or take wife's new minivan and haves zero issues.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Last thing before getting in the car to go, I pee.

I got in the habit after reading a book about bomber crews flying over Europe in WWII. The last thing those brave men did was empty their bladders. There was no pissing once you were over 20,000 feet. Too cold for it to be safe.a
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I grab my get home bag and put it in the car.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Last thing before getting in the car to go, I pee.

I got in the habit after reading a book about bomber crews flying over Europe in WWII. The last thing those brave men did was empty their bladders. There was no pissing once you were over 20,000 feet. Too cold for it to be safe.a
View Quote

There was a funny story in ‘Citizen Soldiers’ about a bomber crewman who had to crap while in every mission. He brought a big cardboard box and would do his business while enroute to the target. When they were over it, he’d connect to a portable oxygen tank and make his way back to the bomb bay, then toss the box out with the bombs.

His crew-mates apparently called their secret weapon ‘flieger schiesse’.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Check all fluids

Check tires for any issues

clean up vehicle

pack any emergency items - oil , tire kit , rain coat , gloves , tools

Buy wife snacks - combos - vitamin waters - hard candies - fruit

Pray I take a big dump before I get on the road
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#17]
A good shit, a good piss, and a good fist full of Ibuprofen.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
GD: OP posts a thread, mentions wife but no pics, countless "Rulez" and "GTFO" posts

Also GD: OP posts a thread, mentions wife AND post pics of some fine legs, and countless posts actually replying to the topic and not about the wife

WTF 2020
View Quote

WTF are you talking about?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I spend multiple HOURS bitching moaning and complaining.

Because I hate driving it's a chore and a bore.

It used to be cool up until maybe my mid twenties. Now it sucks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#20]
In addition to what's already been mentioned, I always make sure to have a good headlamp, flashlight, and extra batteries just in case I'm stuck on the road at night needing to address anything.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn OP.

First, yes, I have a ritual before I set out and second, I have some wood at home that needs sanding...
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Superficial maybe about provides a chance to see if there are anything that doesn’t look right and then fix it
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF 2020

He’s pointing out in an obtuse manner the irony of GD.

OP mentions his wife, there are usually a ton of requests for pics of said female. You, OP, post pics of your wife(with comments about from the other guys about the quality of her legs), and all anybody in this thread can talk about is the actual issue you posted.

At least, I think this is what he meant.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't do ANY of that.

Essential tools are already in the truck.  That's where they live.

Essential gear is already in the vehicle.  That's where it lives.

I basically, decide it might be nice to go somewhere.  Put come clothes in a bag.  Put bag and myself in truck.  Go.

ETA:  I definitely don't wax my truck - or a whole damn camper! - before i go.  That's a surefire way to make me dread the day, if planned in advance.  ugh.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I run through my Excel check list.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I take a dump before I leave. That way I don't have to poop in any rest areas/truck stops/roadside McDonalds or other gross places.

ETA: Most pre trip rituals posted so far are my normal daily things. My truck is never dirty. It gets washed and vacuumed every week and waxed every other month. Stop being nasty y'all.

I always have tools on board. A big socket/screw driver/plier set I picked up on Black Friday years ago, tire plugs/plugger, 12 volt compressor and jumper pack. That's just being normally prepared.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep, I learned that lesson a few years ago when a tire on the boat trailer blew out! Sure is nice to have a nice floor jack instead of those cheap junky jacks that come with most vehicles....
View Quote

China bombs.

All trailers come with the cheapest tires they can source. I replace trailer tires at the time of purchase.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I run up and down the road in a semi-truck, so my ritual is pretty standard; check the lights, kick the tires, clean the glass, check trailer connection, make sure top is securely on coffee cup, then take off.
View Quote

I occasionally have to drive one from one terminal to another at the side gig. My pre-trip is pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

OP mentions his wife, there are usually a ton of requests for pics of said female. You, OP, post pics of your wife(with comments about from the other guys about the quality of her legs), and all anybody in this thread can talk about is the actual issue you posted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF 2020

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF 2020

100% correct. Thank you

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

China bombs.

All trailers come with the cheapest tires they can source. I replace trailer tires at the time of purchase.
View Quote

I put some really good tires on my camper....it was worth the extra money. I've seen enough camper tires explode ....they will damn near take a big chunk out of the camper when they pop.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I might check the oil if I'm wondering anything at all. But I'm pretty strict on our vehicles so if they hint at any oil loss I'm all over it. I've been lucky enough I've picked up 2 solid reliable vehicles I don't have to worry about much. I have been slacking on the washing here lately, but sacrifices had to be made thanks to being laid off...

I keep a close eye on my tire pressures out of habit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dear diary,
Today op was a good guy.

I check all the fluids and tire pressure. That's about it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy shit! I  was going to make snide remarks but you really came through with that picture.

I don't wash my vehicle* specifically for a road trip but I do go over everything. Don't want to be in BFE and get a break down that could have been caught and remedied ahead of time.

*My road trip vehicle is always clean inside and out because I only use it for road trips. I wash it after the trip then it goes in the garage.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to go a different way with this one.
My maintenance is usually up to date. Like other people have said, the tools and pump and jack just live in my car so that's not a worry.

My one ritual before road trip is INSIDE THE HOUSE.
I clean everything, do the dishes, wash any laundry that's ready.  I might vac or sweep the floors. Take out the trash (or take it with me to throw away somewhere.)
Then i turn off the water, and water heater, and set the thermostat for some appropriate temp.

The reason for all this fuss is because i absolutely hate coming home to dirty clothes/dishes/trash.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I clean everything, do the dishes, wash any laundry that's ready.  I might vac or sweep the floors. Take out the trash (or take it with me to throw away somewhere.)
Then i turn off the water, and water heater, and set the thermostat for some appropriate temp.

View Quote

I do this, to a point.  My last action is to empty the trash bin (being sure to replace the bag) and carry it with me on my way out the door.

For whatever reason it really irritates me to arrive back 'home' and find the trash can bereft of a bag.  I guess i'm getting crotchety as I age.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I avoid road trips like the plague, so no, not really. Though, as others have said, before a trip I will clean the house, do the laundry, and take out the garbage. Don't want to come home to a mess.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm going to go a different way with this one.
My maintenance is usually up to date. Like other people have said, the tools and pump and jack just live in my car so that's not a worry.

The reason for all this fuss is because i absolutely hate coming home to dirty clothes/dishes/trash.
View Quote

That's pretty much what my wife does when I'm getting everything outside ready. It's nice to come back from a weekend trip to have the house nice and clean.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I pee first.  18 miles or 800 miles.  I always start with "One for the road"  It means so much more now than it did 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I pack up some tools from work including a tire plug kit and an air tank.  I take tools for things like a bad belt, hose or possibly an alternator.   Let's face it, no one is dropping a fuel tank on the side of the road to change a fuel pump.

I like to clean out the truck and clean the windows really well before a long road trip.  I hate a dirty windshield. As a mechanic you'd think I'd check fluids and stuff but I try to keep up with that so no real need.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I pack up some tools from work including a tire plug kit and an air tank.  I take tools for things like a bad belt, hose or possibly an alternator.   Let's face it, no one is dropping a fuel tank on the side of the road to change a fuel pump.

I like to clean out the truck and clean the windows really well before a long road trip.  I hate a dirty windshield. As a mechanic you'd think I'd check fluids and stuff but I try to keep up with that so no real need.
View Quote

That's always on my "must do before I leave" list.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Nope. Modern vehicles have all sorts of lights and singers that tell me if something is wrong. If there’s no lights on, roll out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I check the oil, tire pressure, fill up with gas, and pick up a handle of whatever I'll be drinking on the road.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#44]
"Being equipped and prepared" is a pretty common-sense ritual, if all those things you do are classifiable as "ritual."
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Check fluids, pressure, take a shit. Lets roll!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I made a checklist of stuff to pack, I'm always forgetting something toothpaste, dental floss, phone charger, spare quart of oil for car, etc.
Then another checklist: lock back door, lock front door, leave light on upstairs, etc

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Charge the battery jump pack. Check spare and tire pressure. Check oil unless I've just changed it or messed with it recently.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Typical pre-trip inspection (albeit seriously abbreviated):

Check the lights
horn
fluids
thump the tires
examine the hitch
check the trailer brakes

That's about it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#49]
All that stuff you do is good practice.
The more familiar you are with your equipment, the easier it is to spot something gone wrong.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I avoid road trips like the plague, so no, not really. Though, as others have said, before a trip I will clean the house, do the laundry, and take out the garbage. Don't want to come home to a mess.
View Quote

We .mil folks tend to feel the same way; before a deployment or long TDY, some of us would even go so far as to pack our freezer foods into garbage bags so that if the power goes out while we're gone, the rotten food can be quickly and easily pulled out of the freezer and thrown away.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top