Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

hot damn

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By CharlieRomeo:

Very nice.

I currently have a Glock 17.5 at Wager. It’s getting the RMR cut and OGD cerakote
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CharlieRomeo:
Originally Posted By treasurediver:
Took mine out to the range again today and ran some drills. I’m shooting a steel challenge match with it on Sunday so I did a lot of draw and shoot on multiple steel targets with a timer as well as some transition drills with my carbine on cardboard.

At the end of the session I walked back to the bench and used the bench to rest the pistol and at a measured 43 yards proceeded to put three shots in the head of a USPSA target. There is no way I could do that with irons.

Just to review my previous post. GLOCK 19.4 with a Wager Machine Acro cut with forward set rear sight running a Steiner MPS. Stock trigger and barrel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256972/F2A7A372-7402-47D1-8AEA-2D80C1CB0CD1_jpe-2877217.JPG

Very nice.

I currently have a Glock 17.5 at Wager. It’s getting the RMR cut and OGD cerakote

I’ve been extremely happy with their work. I’m also glad they got out of NY and relocated to Tennessee.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Which one of you clowns is responsible for this bullshit?

@45-Seventy
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/086D94C0-D022-4326-A66C-2DE6F72003D0-2878805.jpg

Which one of you clowns is responsible for this bullshit?

@45-Seventy
View Quote

L
O
L

The Butthole Brigade accepts no responsibility for this travesty.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

L
O
L

The Butthole Brigade accepts no responsibility for this travesty.
View Quote

I ascribe to the H&K professional techniques.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you faster on target with a red dot vs iron sights?

Like have you timed yourself with both, and actually accumulated some real data.

I'm told most folks are

Serious question...
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 5:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redbirdxx] [#7]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:

Like have you timed yourself with both, and actually accumulated some real data.

I'm told most folks are

Serious question...
View Quote

For me, yes, though I'm still slow as fuck compared to some in this thread. Going to a red dot had the side benefit of unfucking my presentation, so I actually got faster with irons, too. At least until my aging eyes made me red dot all the things.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm told most folks are

Serious question...
View Quote

Faster on target and faster on transitions for me by .2-.3 seconds and more consistent in grouping at speed.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm told most folks are

Serious question...
View Quote

I’ve never timed myself with irons, having only purchased a shot timer only recently (thanks to 03RN for giving me the nudge I needed). In any case, my experiences using strictly irons, my brain will want to focus either on the front sight or the target. There’s (much, much, muuuuuuch) less conflict when I use a red dot. With a red dot and shooting for speed, I focus strictly on the target. When I time myself for speed, when the red dot registers within my line of sight and on target during presentation, that is to say I’m not looking at the dot itself at all and stay focused the target, I guess I see the dot as one would see something in their peripheral vision. Maybe that’s an accurate way to describe it, not sure but maybe close enough. Slow fire for absolute accuracy is another story.

Bill Drill - 21ft, 8” Gong, 6rds. 3.06 sec

6 rounds on 8” gong at 21’. Not a great shooter but was happy with my results.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SIASL:

I’ve never timed myself with irons, having only purchased a shot timer only recently (thanks to 03RN for giving me the nudge I needed). In any case, my experiences using strictly irons, my brain will want to focus either on the front sight or the target. There’s (much, much, muuuuuuch) less conflict when I use a red dot. With a red dot and shooting for speed, I focus strictly on the target. When I time myself for speed, when the red dot registers within my line of sight and on target during presentation, that is to say I’m not looking at the dot itself at all and stay focused the target, I guess I see the dot as one would see something in their peripheral vision. Maybe that’s an accurate way to describe it, not sure but maybe close enough. Slow fire for absolute accuracy is another story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQrVLuD5ITE

View Quote

You missed one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:05:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SIASL] [#11]
Originally Posted By BaconFat:

You missed one.
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQrVLuD5ITE

You missed one.

Zoom in on low center left. Bullet split the edge of the gong.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BaconFat] [#12]

View Quote

Hitting the wood stand doesn't count,  you can see the wood fly off and the round impact down range.

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:15:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SIASL] [#13]

Hitting the wood stand doesn't count
View All Quotes

Hitting the wood stand doesn't count

Dude, the bullet split on the edge of the gong. It impacted the gong at the bottom edge. Do you not see the paint knocked off at impact?

Attachment Attached File

Do you not see the hit split the edge?

ETA: I don’t know where you’re from but that’s still a hit everyday that ends with a “y” and twice on Sundays.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:21:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BaconFat] [#14]

Dude, the bullet split on the edge of the gong. It impacted the gong at the bottom edge. Do you not see the paint knocked off at impact?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384478/A716CDEB-8410-446C-9EEB-1C8CD06722BE_jpe-2881256.JPG

View Quote

Nope  doesn't count. A bullet leaving that much of a mark isn't going that far down range and kick up a huge piece of wood

5 hits....try again.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:24:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SIASL] [#15]

Nope  doesn't count.  5 hit....try again.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384478/A716CDEB-8410-446C-9EEB-1C8CD06722BE_jpe-2881256.JPG

Nope  doesn't count.  5 hit....try again.

That’s a hit all day long but since you spoke up, show me how it’s done.

ETA: Also, another for you…

Bill Drill - 21ft, 6rds, 8” Gong. 3.26 secs

Notice how even 2/10ths of a second seems like a world of difference.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Well first I would put 6 shots on target, not 5
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SIASL] [#17]

View All Quotes

Show me. 6 rounds, 8 inch gong, 21 feet, 3.06 seconds, and from concealment.

ETA: Or even in 3.26 seconds. Show me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Don't get all huffy, you're the one claiming something that is obviously not true...I mean, really, you see the round impact down range
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SIASL] [#19]

Don't get all huffy, you're the one claiming something that is obviously not true...I mean, really, you see the round impact down range
View All Quotes

You sure talk a lot of shit

ETA: I’m at best mediocre, I know that. But, at least I’ll post up to back up what I’m saying.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Would you say a 5 out of 6 on a shit talking level?
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

No, but you sure talk a lot of shit. Like, you shoot more shit than a dookie gun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#22]

No, but you sure talk a lot of shit. Like, you shoot more shit than a dookie gun.
View Quote

Is a dookie gun a brown Sig?
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:47:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SIASL] [#23]

View All Quotes

All you got to do is show me how it’s done. That’s all. I won’t be mad if you do it faster. It would get me out there to try harder and that’s a good thing.

ETA: Anyway, that’s me doing a fair bit of dry fire holster practice, trying to make sure I get a solid grip from the get go. I’m not there yet but trying.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#24]

All you got to do is show me how it’s done. That’s all. I won’t be mad if you do it faster. It would get me out there to try harder and that’s a good thing.
View Quote

I don't care if you get out there and try harder.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Lol. Didn’t ask.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

It was a hit.

Guess you had to find another thing to troll this thread with.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I don’t need a timer to know I’m faster with a dot. I don’t mean that in a BDE bravado “I just know, man” kind of way. I mean the difference is so blatantly obvious it’s downright hilarious. When I try to shoot a gun with irons at 5 yards it literally takes me a couple seconds to line up the sights somewhere on the target, and it’s still about a 50/50 chance I’ll actually hit the damn thing when I pull the trigger. And I have absolutely no hope if both of my eyes are open.

With an optic, same distance, with both eyes open, slapping the shit out of the trigger legitimately as fast as I can, my target looks like this:

That was shot just yesterday during my first range trip with the pistol I posted on the previous page.

There are a few factors that likely contribute to this difference. The first is I’m fairly young, so I didn’t have decades worth of training to “focus on the front sight” with irons before I switched over to optics on handguns that I had to fight against. I also grew up playing the type of shooting video games where your reticle was generally a small red dot projected onto the target in front of you, so my brain was pre-conditioned to think “put dot on target, pull trigger.” And lastly, handgun RDS (outside of the competition realm at least) really started becoming reliable enough to be taken seriously at about the same time that my interest and seriousness in shooting exponentially increased. I was definitely an early embracer of the tech when it first started to become popular. I still remember back when nearly every time I went to the range I was always the only person with a RDS on a handgun on the line. Now it’s still less than half of the shooters there, but I’m almost never the only one shooting with one. Even at the local outdoor “one shot per second” FUDD range.

I really do need to get a shot timer though…
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

It was a hit.

View Quote

Nope,  It wasn't  once again, you see the round hit down range.  

No wonder you guys shoot like shit, you can't see at all.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AK-12:

It was a hit.

Says the guy too scared to back his shit up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I don’t need a timer to know I’m faster with a dot. I don’t mean that in a BDE bravado “I just know, man” kind of way. I mean the difference is so blatantly obvious it’s downright hilarious. When I try to shoot a gun with irons at 5 yards it literally takes me a couple seconds to line up the sights somewhere on the target, and it’s still about a 50/50 chance I’ll actually hit the damn thing when I pull the trigger. And I have absolutely no hope if both of my eyes are open.

With an optic, same distance, with both eyes open, slapping the shit out of the trigger legitimately as fast as I can, my target looks like this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/A7D8EC59-D593-48D0-A8B6-B0922EFE864C-2880187.jpg

That was shot just yesterday during my first range trip with the pistol I posted on the previous page.

There are a few factors that likely contribute to this difference. The first is I’m fairly young, so I didn’t have decades worth of training to “focus on the front sight” with irons before I switched over to optics on handguns that I had to fight against. I also grew up playing the type of shooting video games where your reticle was generally a small red dot projected onto the target in front of you, so my brain was pre-conditioned to think “put dot on target, pull trigger.” And lastly, handgun RDS (outside of the competition realm at least) really started becoming reliable enough to be taken seriously at about the same time that my interest and seriousness in shooting exponentially increased. I was definitely an early embracer of the tech when it first started to become popular. I still remember back when nearly every time I went to the range I was always the only person with a RDS on a handgun on the line. Now it’s still less than half of the shooters there, but I’m almost never the only one shooting with one. Even at the local outdoor “one shot per second” FUDD range.

View Quote

Out of 82 pages, this post sums up the red dot shooters here better than any other.  No timer, but I know it's faster, can't shoot iron, video games are training, but was an early adapter.
I crown you king
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Not this shit again
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:14:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BaconFat] [#32]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Not this shit again
View Quote

How do you have time to read all the posts when you are out shooting so much
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#33]
A little slow, but it is from concealment…

First round from AIWB - 1.58, 8” Gong
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Out of 82 pages, this post sums up the red dot shooters here better than any other.  No timer, but I know it's faster, can't shoot iron, video games are training, but was an early adapter.
I crown you king
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/A7D8EC59-D593-48D0-A8B6-B0922EFE864C-2880187.jpg

I crown you king

@45-Seventy YOU HEAR THAT BITCH?! BEST BOW DOWN FOR YOUR KANG
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#35]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWwr3JHtJ5M
View Quote

Dude, just stop taking the bait
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SIASL] [#36]

View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWwr3JHtJ5M

All good. He talks about it while others are actually posting up numbers.

ETA: I might be on the slow side but at least I’m posting proof.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Meh, I did one of the monthly drills.  It was really all you guys were worth.  

Standing and shooting is a waste of practice
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Sure, sure…
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:

Come play airsoft with us then.
View Quote

I'm not running around in the woods with guys that are wearing dresses.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Looked like hits to me.  Impressive.  .2-.3 seconds faster with a dot is relevant for sure, with hits on a small target

Reason I asked if YOU are faster with a dot is a reasonable question when discussing what you carry for personal defense.

Would it be prudent to come up with a "testing method" to see if you're faster with a dot?  Probably already been done but I dont know...

Using a standard SQT-A1 or similar silhouette target.  Give yourself a 10 shot warm up.  Then...

Iron Sights:

All Timed - 1st round shots from 3, 7, 15, and 25 yards.  Repeat same thing then for 3 shots

Red Dot Sights:  

Same as above.  

Compare times and group sizes - win booby prizes for your results?

Been an iron sight shooter for 50 years.  Recently went through a 1200 round red dot transition course.  Unfortunately I dont know if I'm faster or not.  

Up close, probably not faster I'd guess

At distance, probably faster and more accurate with a dot

Just my observations...

Oh, and to add, is the old adage that the "average" gunfight lasts 3-seconds, with 3-shots fired, and within 3-yards?

It used to be.  I dont see where a red dot makes any significant difference if we're still adhering to the "3" rule above.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but am keeping an open mind.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

You can hear it hit the plate.

It could have been a better hit, but it's a hit nonetheless.

When you shoot paper do you also not count if it breaks the line?

That XFive is hot. Much nicer than some of the other monstrosities you've put together.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

It's irrelevant where the round went if it hit the plate first.  It's not a USPSA target, there's no perf to inspect.  That's a hit.

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

In that case, what's your USPSA number so I can look up all of your G runs on stand and shoot classifiers?
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I can hear the troll mouth breathing from here
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

In that case, what's your USPSA number so I can look up all of your G runs on stand and shoot classifiers?
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BaconFat] [#47]

View Quote

I'm not posting my number so that you'll know my name.  

Anyway If you can move and shoot, you can stand and shoot.  Classifiers are just high risk, low reward stages anyways

06-04  100%
09-04  100%
09-14  100%
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#48]

It's irrelevant where the round went if it hit the plate first.  It's not a USPSA target, there's no perf to inspect.  That's a hit.

View Quote

It didn't hit the plate first, it hit the wood,  that is what cause the mark on the plate.  You see the round hit down range, that doesn't happen when it hits the plate
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#49]

It didn't hit the plate first, it hit the wood,  that is what cause the mark on the plate.  You see the round hit down range, that doesn't happen when it hits the plate
View All Quotes

You can hear all six hits. I don’t know what else you need but you keep doing you.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:26:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#50]

View Quote

You are blind AND deaf?

You can hear 6 hits on the plate.  Does a round make a ding when it hits wood?

The round hits the wood post BEHIND the plate and somehow makes a mark on the front of the plate?

Don't give a shit about your results, no USPSA number, you're FOS.  Oh no, someone will know your name!  Talking shit as an anonymous.

Page / 113
Red dots on pistols.. (Page 82 of 113)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top