User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To go into the M203 GL or in this case MK19, what the fuck else would you do with them?
View Quote
Accidently lose them.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Let's put GPS devices on all of our military weapons and ammo so that our enemy can track where everyone is - said no General ever

View Quote
Lets put GPS devices in the hands of every infantry unit since 1990 , every tank , every aircraft , submarine , truck and rolling cooking station along with the cell and sat phones. Unless I missed the sarcasm
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Man someone has a sweet stash somewhere

Lucky bastards
View Quote
Until the search warrants on the likely suspects...  
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing like carrying around that can of eggs like your red headed stepchild...
I never minded having the 203 qual...it meant a riding post on a SRT instead of aircraft area ECPs or just wasting away on the ramps.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know the ATF put tracking devices in the grips of AKs and the the Soec Ops guys sometimes have weapons tracked.  Wonder if the 240 can be tracked or the 40 cal anmo can has a gps sticker on it.
View Quote
Grips of AKs? I'm sure the five minutes of battery life will provide fruitful results.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Grips of AKs? I'm sure the five minutes of battery life will provide fruitful results.
View Quote
It happened. Am I missing something? Why does no one believe this is possible?
"Some of the guns from Wide Receiver were implanted with RFID chips and were actively tracked electronically. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in Phoenix also implemented aerial surveillance tactics in an attempt to follow the weapons.

However, problems reportedly arose due to poorly implanted RFID chips which were forced into the guns, bending the antennas and decreasing their effectiveness. Cartels and straw purchasers also eventually came up with creative ways to shake tracking maneuvers and overhead surveillance, such as driving in loops for hours until surveillance planes had to refuel".
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To go into the M203 GL or in this case MK19, what the fuck else would you do with them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what is the air force doing with 40mm rounds?
Give them to the Marines or the army
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why can't I ever find cool shit like that?
View Quote
I found an F-35 just the other day. You suck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Sitting on a C-141 one night on HCLA during Desert Shield. Weapons in the cargo bay so us nasty maintainers couldn't be left alone. 4 of us on the flight deck, SP with came up the ladder and was talking real nice, unlike most of Magoo SP's. After a few hours NiceGuy's lunch relief showed up, he jumpeddown and drove off to the chow hall. His relief was typical, stayed in the cargo box at the bottom of the ladder, faced away from us.

Couple of us tried talking to him, got smartass remarks or silence. One of our group says "Hey man, you better take care of this", and hand down NiceGuys M16 that he left lay on the crewbunk. Typical Cop rips it out of his hands, jumps down outside, and soon the SP Supervisor shows up and takes the weapon. Guy that gave it to him thought it was so funny, until somebody else reminded him that all he did was get NiceGuy in deep shit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I recall getting back from a week in the field one night.  It was late, around 2100.  Everyone wanted to get out, married guys had wives waiting in the parking lot for them.  Single guys all had hot dates set up at The Driftwood, etc...

Everyone stood in formation while we dumped gear and searched for a fucking compass one of the lieutenants lost.  We finally were released at around 2300 - No idea if they actually found that thing.

Many jokes were being made about the general proficiency of officers and land navigation, along with wondering if the same procedure would be used if a corporal had lost a compass.
View Quote
While enjoying the day walking around Ft Gordon doing some land nav stuff in ANCOC, we came upon a compass laying in the road that another team had lost.  When we got back to the classroom, we didn't say shit.  We were waiting to see who was going to fess up. We were laughing our asses off watching another team writing a MFR in an effort to cover their asses.  The instructor finally called for all the maps and compasses to be turned in and the losing team was getting ready to face the music when we came clean and dangled their compass by its lanyard in front of the class. We got a case of beer out of the deal. LOL! Good times.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sitting on a C-141 one night on HCLA during Desert Shield. Weapons in the cargo bay so us nasty maintainers couldn't be left alone. 4 of us on the flight deck, SP with came up the ladder and was talking real nice, unlike most of Magoo SP's. After a few hours NiceGuy's lunch relief showed up, he jumpeddown and drove off to the chow hall. His relief was typical, stayed in the cargo box at the bottom of the ladder, faced away from us.

Couple of us tried talking to him, got smartass remarks or silence. One of our group says "Hey man, you better take care of this", and hand down NiceGuys M16 that he left lay on the crewbunk. Typical Cop rips it out of his hands, jumps down outside, and soon the SP Supervisor shows up and takes the weapon. Guy that gave it to him thought it was so funny, until somebody else reminded him that all he did was get NiceGuy in deep shit.
View Quote
Had an SP chick hanging out with us one evening.  She was being cool and instead of holding her weapon, she cantilevered it into the birdcage on an RG

The truck was already running when she put it there.

It was awesome watching her chase her weapon as the truck took off
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Now they get to inventory the entire base.  What fun.

I wonder what else will be discovered as missing.
View Quote
First thing i thought as well.

Tip of the iceburg im sure.

Those stationed there are hating life and will be for some time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They ought to send in the military to help the AF find that shit.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It happened. Am I missing something? Why does no one believe this is possible?
"Some of the guns from Wide Receiver were implanted with RFID chips and were actively tracked electronically. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in Phoenix also implemented aerial surveillance tactics in an attempt to follow the weapons.

However, problems reportedly arose due to poorly implanted RFID chips which were forced into the guns, bending the antennas and decreasing their effectiveness. Cartels and straw purchasers also eventually came up with creative ways to shake tracking maneuvers and overhead surveillance, such as driving in loops for hours until surveillance planes had to refuel".
View Quote
You are missing how RFID works.

Also, IIRC, it wasn't Fast and Furious that had RFID chips in guns, it was a previous operation (Linebacker, maybe?) that was quickly scrapped because of how dumb and ineffective it was.

ETA: Cool Starry Bra time. Probably six or seven years ago, I was riding along on a charter flight for a National Guard unit that was flying somewhere for training. Most of them had M-16s in the cabin. While we were waiting for stairs to be brought to the plane, someone who I assume was in charge stood up and announced to everyone, "Alright, listen up. We're going to be here for two weeks. I don't want anyone getting pregnant, I don't want anyone getting lost, and I don't want anyone getting shot. We have to come back with at least 116 rifles. More is okay, but less is really bad." Judging by how unorganized they seemed to be earlier in the day, I think she was serious.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Got ya.  What I understood was that it was passive . I know thst with some tracking devices they get activated by certain frequencies.   Excluding outright theft it would seem that the tech is already in use to help locate lost equipment and save head ache.   I get that its the mil. and they are going to do the exact opposite of what makes sense. BTW I do know what you are talking about with RFID chips basically requiring someone with a scanner to get right on it.  The articles I read about both operations suggested that Raytheon has/had the ability to do so but it was not implemented correctly.  I know I saw a pic of a hungarian AMD grip that had been hollowed out so a small chip with antennae fit in it.  Would be nice to be able to track certain weapons in indtances like this
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They ought to send in the military to help the AF find that shit.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh for fuck's sake!

I used to work in the armory when it was in Bldg. 848 many years ago, and I'm still trying to figure out how they lost a M240.  At every shift change, the armorer's do a weapons and ammo count.  If the numbers don't add up, then two of you go back and do it again.  If a weapon was out, there was either the person's weapons card or a filled out paper form in the rack slot.  Every shift change you walked the racks and made sure that there was a card or paper in every slot while doing the counts.  Flightline 203's and 60's were kept in separate racks from the missile field 203's and 60's.  They were then issued out in series so at changeover if one hadn't been returned, that empty slot stuck out like a sore thumb.  From the duty rosters that were given to the armory, you knew how many people were pulling duty on any given day.  Doing the count is tedious, but it's not fucking rocket science.

Ever since SAC went away, it seems like the base has had their fair share of fuck ups.  Live cruise missiles to Barksdale, MCC's cheating on their proficiency tests, the 40mm can bouncing down the road, and now this.  I would pay good money to see my armory NCOIC, Msgt. Regala, go on a tear and rip these people a new asshole.  It would be both  glorious and absolutely downright frightening at the same time.

When I was the M203 man out in the missile field, the grenade can was my foot stool in the Peacekeeper, so I always knew where it was.  If they had done a better job of packing their gear, the 40mm can never would have made it out of the Humvee.  Hard (and probably expensive) lesson learned.
View Quote
That right there seems to link to most of the AF’s problems in my opinion.  Not just any one base either.  It seems like shit started sliding down hill overall when SAC died.  Were I dictator for a day, SAC would come back with full accountability, and the mindset would be propagated AF wide.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
On an unrelated subject, who has the best price on some belted 7.62?
View Quote
Asking for a friend...
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#20]
When I was stationed at in UT someone had a case of M16A2'sbounce out of the back of the truck they were driving and they never noticed, IIRC there were six of them in the case. Some random guy driving around found it a few hours later and turned them in. Then there was the time someone accidentally sent trigger mechanisms for nuclear warheads to Taiwan or something. They were crawling up everyone's ass after that one.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top