Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got my eye out for a Sig P245 for a while now, but I think I am about a decade too late trying to find one for a reasonable price.  Also interested in the P239's, but every one I find locally is DAK .40, or if its a tda 9mm its for way too much.  Had a chance to buy a mint 3913TSW for $350 5 years ago and passed on it, really regret that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I still carry a Sig P6 a lot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I was going to post about this. I recently started carrying my Beretta 85FS loaded with HST ammo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got my eye out for a Sig P245 for a while now, but I think I am about a decade too late trying to find one for a reasonable price.  Also interested in the P239's, but every one I find locally is DAK .40, or if its a tda 9mm its for way too much.  Had a chance to buy a mint 3913TSW for $350 5 years ago and passed on it, really regret that.
View Quote
@dwb1987:

I've been on the hunt for a S&W Model 4516-1 and like an idiot I passed by on 'em when they were cheap.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I carried a Sig 239 40SW for a couple years. Under rated gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I got this one cheap a while back.
Never carried it, but it's a good shooter.
It's my garage gun.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Guns like this will still be effective in 99% of all "oh shit" moments.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
My CCW was a P239 9mm for years when my work gun was a 226.

The P239 is a great gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I've wanted a 245 for awhile now, also zero luck in acquiring one.

I picked up my 239s when they were still in production and in the local shops, and no DAK for me. I do have a 3913 LS, which fits nicely in my Sig 239 holsters.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Tallahassee laughs at your guns.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Would I carry it……well, they wouldn’t be my first choice since I have double stack 9mm that are the same size and I shoot well enough. But if it was what I had, sure.

I often carry a LCP2 when a larger gun is not possible,  but I don’t ever go out of my way for a low capacity gun.  If I had a LCP Max, I would obviously carry it before the LCP2.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
During the ban, I had a Gen 3 GLOCK 23C with three pre-ban mags and five post-ban mags. I had a pile of Beretta 92FS pre-ban mags and a Beretta 92FS too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember when they were the only option because the fucking AWB Ban.
During the ban, I had a Gen 3 GLOCK 23C with three pre-ban mags and five post-ban mags. I had a pile of Beretta 92FS pre-ban mags and a Beretta 92FS too.

In that period I discovered that a Beretta 96 10 round mag would fit and feed just fine in a 92, and would hold 14 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I still carry a Glock 43 while hiking. No real concerns about it being inadequate in any way for anything I plan on encountering.
I do recall the late 80s and walking the aisles at the Syracuse gun show and wanting a 4506. Obviously that's a full gun, but I really don't recall wanting any of the mid-sized guns of that era
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#14]
908, 3913, 3914, 4006, 4040PD with Scandium frame, 5903TSW, and a .40 cal Firestar just for fun.   S&W Gen 3 guns are accurate and built like a tank.   If you run out, you can club them into submission.

It took a while before tupperware was accepted as a fighting tool.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Every once in a while i carry a p64 radom. It fits nice in my dress pants. Usually though i just carry a g29
View Quote

I used to carry my Mak regularly. It was way easier to carry than a full sized pistol. I should carry it again for old times sake.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I still carry a Kahr K9 IWB in a VM2 on occasion. Nothing beats its for comfortable IWB carry.

Daily carry is a P365 in my front pocket in a holster. Kahr gets carried in addition to the Sig.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Time and place, my man. Time and place.

If I'm traipsing the woods where big piggies are known to reside, I'd prefer my carry gun for the day be a Model 29 with LSWCs. Very different than when I'm going to Tallahassee-stan
View Quote

If I was worried about a feral hog attack, I'd rather just pop some hardcast ammo into one of my 9mm carry guns.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That HK though  
View Quote
I've got a P7 PSP that I carry in summer....such a great pistol
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a P6 that I rarely carry upon occasion with an additional magazine.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#20]
People that romanticize their choice of carry gun are not serious about self defense.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In every gunfight I've been in on my way to walmart in the last 30 years, a single stack 9 has been plenty of firepower.

View Quote

You too!!!? That makes me feel a lot better, I'd started thinking I was the only one.

P938 or 45 ACP Valor every single day, for years.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I carried a Beretta 85F in the 1990's until one day at the mall.  A Norteno I had had issues with decided to yell what he would do to me me across the Santa picture set-up.  My wife walked away like she was not with me, but I suddenly wanted something other than a 7-8 shot .380.  I started carrying my G21 with an extra mag.  My perceived threat level then, was 1-2 gangsters.  Jump out crews with 3-4 thugs, some with rifles, was unheard of, then.  Sadly, it is a regular occurrence in the SF Bay Area.  So much so that my G48 with HS 507k and spare mag probably isn't enough gun to address that problem.  I might have to go back to carrying a G19 and extra mag.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Those are sweet guns.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Had a 9mm Star Firestar.  Worst lemon ever.  I don't know that it was the design or my particular example, but it would not shoot for shit.

I broke two firing pins and one extractor on it.   That's with less than 200 rounds total through the thing the entire time I had it.

It shot minute of barndoor at 7 paces.

I checked to see if maybe it was a .40 barrel but it was correctly a 9mm barrel.

it was just an instance of junk.

I traded it for a Rossi 68 and $150 cash.   The Rossi shot the best string I've ever had at a 50 yard range.  I broke 3 of 5 (static)clay birds at 50y with the first cylinder I loaded in the damn thing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
People that romanticize their choice of carry gun are not serious about self defense.

View Quote
LOL @Gelandewagen, I've probably been carrying longer than you've been sucking air.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#26]
@Miami_JBT Did you manage to score one of the Texas DPS P239 trade-ins when they hit the market? It was bad timing for me but now I'm thinking I should've sold a kidney for a P239 and P220 TXDPS trade in when I had the chance
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@Miami_JBT Did you manage to score one of the Texas DPS P239 trade-ins when they hit the market? It was bad timing for me but now I'm thinking I should've sold a kidney for a P239 and P220 TXDPS trade in when I had the chance
View Quote
@Czechers, no clue if it TX DPS gun. But I got one from one of the big online surplus dealers. It is a .40 S&W model with the SRT package.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd still take the Sig and HK over most of what's out there now. Unfortunately the Sig's of that generation always bit my thumb knuckle with the corner of the tang. Just how they fit me, and it drove me nuts because I really like them, from the full sized stuff to the compacts.

My EDC continues to be an officer's size 1911 with a 7rd Wilson mag. Every time I shoot the modern stuff I'm reminded of why I don't particularly like them. A G19, maybe, my P80 build with a 1911 grip angle, better, ditto my Shadow Systems DR920 with the right grip piece installed. I even like the P320 grip. But most of the stuff out there just feels weird and like they forgot that these are rough use tools. Then I wake up and remember that 90% of their sales are to people that barely use them, maybe take them to the range once a year and are consider them social media props not tools.
View Quote
@Remyrw, how do you like your Officer's Model? I've never seen the need to get one since I have a Star PD .45.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#29]
For at least half the year, spring and summer, I carry a Kahr K9 and have since I got it in the early 2000's.  It's a breeze to carry with shorts and shoots lights out.  Always carry 2 spare mags with it.  The only way I would reluctantly part with it is if my daughter wants it in a few years when she turns 21.  Love this gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Would you carry such a pistol today?
View Quote

Perhaps, but why?

If the single stack is m/l the same size and weight as a double stack, and the double stack is reliable, what's the advantage of fewer rounds of the same caliber in the magazine? Granted, I'm young enough that wondernines hit the market before I could legally carry, so that may skew my perspective.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I consider all 6 round revolvers and 8 round autos adequate.

Therefore the Glock 43 is a joke.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#33]
9mm anything > *
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If I was worried about a feral hog attack, I'd rather just pop some hardcast ammo into one of my 9mm carry guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time and place, my man. Time and place.

If I'm traipsing the woods where big piggies are known to reside, I'd prefer my carry gun for the day be a Model 29 with LSWCs. Very different than when I'm going to Tallahassee-stan

If I were doing that, I'd load something hardcast into one of my 10mms or 45s instead.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#35]
They still are. The "IT" carry gun on here/the gun world is cyclical, everyone was carrying an LCP or 42 for a while, then the Roland special, then shields and 43s, then 365s and 43x and now the "IT" guns are 2011s. Going off of history, the next must have CCW will be low capacity again.

If 7 rounds of 380 was adequate for CCW/bug 15 years ago, why wouldn't 9 or 10 rounds of 9mm be today?

My p239 is my go to weekend gun when I don't have to be deep carrying but don't feel like carrying a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#36]
All of those 3rd gen smoths look and feel horrible to me.  I know there are a lot of fans of them but I cannot stand them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I never had any interest in those things.  If I was gonna carry a metal gun the size of a Glock 19 back in the day, it was gonna be a Para Ordnance P12 alloy .45.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I have an older Kahr K9 without the trigger upgrade.  It’s likely the most comfortable semi-auto pistol I’ve held;  despite my six foot frame I have medium-sized hands at best.  However, the lack of checkering on the frame makes it difficult to hold when sweating.  Unless I have to dole out handguns to family members, it’ll never make it into the carry rotation due to weight and limited mag capacity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:55:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Overly-large 9s that held single digit numbers in their mags were never good enough. They were just accepted because that's what was available if you didn't want a Beretta 92 or similar-size gun
View Quote

Quite a few of those models overlapped their production years with the double stack Smiths (469, 669, 69xx, 49xx). I bought a 6906 very shortly after I got my permit in 2009. It's a nice gun that carries nicely (albeit a little fat in the grip, especially with the Hogue grip) but not a bad gun at all. Also very shootable. Bowling pins at 25 yards were easily doable. It's not the gun I usually carry now, with the DA trigger and safety/decocker, it is a gun that is really nice to carry in some situations.

At the time when I bought the 6906, I considered several of the models on that list.

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#41]
They still are, Bubba.

Listen - you’re never going to be in some Miami Vice style extended shootout with a bad guy. Ain’t gonna happen. Even if you do get involved in a self-defense incident as an armed civilian, the average number of rounds fired in those situations is 2-3. That means even a J-Frame holds twice as many rounds as you will ever statistically need to defend yourself. Anyone who tells you different has something to sell you - whether it’s a gun or clicks on their YouTube video.

Stop listening to tactifools.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I like the Sig 239 in 9mm I shoot it well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I occasionally carried a Sig 225 and lived ..
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Your emotional attachment to handguns is as dumb as your choice in them
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:17:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They still are, Bubba.

Listen - you're never going to be in some Miami Vice style extended shootout with a bad guy. Ain't gonna happen. Even if you do get involved in a self-defense incident as an armed civilian, the average number of rounds fired in those situations is 2-3. That means even a J-Frame holds twice as many rounds as you will ever statistically need to defend yourself. Anyone who tells you different has something to sell you - whether it's a gun or clicks on their YouTube video.

Stop listening to tactifools.
View Quote
Please show me the statistics that you quote. Where, in the past 20 years, has there been a study showing that the average number of rounds fired is 2-3?

Also, why would you plan for the average? That sound like planning to fail approximately half the time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#46]
First gun I carried way way before it was legal was a Smith M66. I’ve carried a lot of things since then. J frame to full auto. I’m comfortable with P239 or P7M8 but I usually carry 1911 these days.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:37:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Got this in a trade, it's about the size of a glock 19. I was going to send it to cajun gun works and carry it but I have way to many projects going on right now and may throw it in the EE.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:46:03 AM EDT
[#48]
P7 - don't want to afford it, but would love to have one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 2:24:21 AM EDT
[#49]
had a firestar M43 for a while, shot very well. It was really a heavy chunk to carry though: All steel.
Weighed  more than a lightweight Officer's .45
Always thought the S&W 3913  would have carried nice, and was always on the look out for a good deal, never owned one though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 3:12:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have an older Kahr K9 without the trigger upgrade.  It’s likely the most comfortable semi-auto pistol I’ve held;  despite my six foot frame I have medium-sized hands at best.  However, the lack of checkering on the frame makes it difficult to hold when sweating.  Unless I have to dole out handguns to family members, it’ll never make it into the carry rotation due to weight and limited mag capacity.
View Quote

Skateboard grip tape is your friend.  I use a strip of it on both my Kahr K9 and CZ 75.  Works great to improve the grip of both guns.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top