Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I would like to know exactly how Ruger saved ~1.2 lbs against the tread 716i.

Something like
X lbs lighter weight handguard
Y lbs lighter weight barrel
Z lbs lighter weight receiver pair
Etc

I just don't understand where that weight came from. My guess is the big hitter is the barrel profile, and then a bit more from receiver.

I only guess this from seeing various AR15 barrel weight differences due to contour / profile variations.

I don't want to get the SFAR and find out I've got a pencil barrel. Looking at you SCAR 17.
View Quote

Shorter upper & lower receivers, & thus shorter bolt carrier.  Look at the locations of the rear take down pin & safety on the POF & Ruger vs the SIG:

(Cheers to kel for Photoshopping those two.)
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Shorter upper & lower receivers, & thus shorter bolt carrier.  Look at the locations of the rear take down pin & safety on the POF & Ruger vs the SIG:

https://www.sigsauer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/a3db8ca85b9f26a85c601248a3f4f74b/r/7/r716i-16b-trd-right-web.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aivhU2P.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I would like to know exactly how Ruger saved ~1.2 lbs against the tread 716i.

Something like
Etc

I just don't understand where that weight came from. My guess is the big hitter is the barrel profile, and then a bit more from receiver.

I only guess this from seeing various AR15 barrel weight differences due to contour / profile variations.

I don't want to get the SFAR and find out I've got a pencil barrel. Looking at you SCAR 17.

https://www.sigsauer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/a3db8ca85b9f26a85c601248a3f4f74b/r/7/r716i-16b-trd-right-web.jpg

Ok I can see if the upper is long into the handguard (look at where the handguard attaches), and the lower is longer out the back (look at the buffer tube interface) ... And the bcg is longer (conceptually I know those are heavy steel things) ...

I could see that the receiver and bcg are a big driver in the weight difference I presented, maybe more than the barrel?  Maybe the barrel isn't a driver after all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I really want to buy one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@backbencher

Then may the fuck be upon me. I will find a G2 some day for the right price and refit it to .260.  I made out like a bandit when freedom group went under. I bought a lot of parts when they were with the  liquidation company and built a glorious 28 inch .960 barreled .308. Same company that liquidated the American 55X Sig line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  If G2 parts fit and it's priced fair I'll buy one. I have a brand new .260 Remington G2 barrel I have no use for just sitting around.

Looking like the G2 bolt carrier won't fit unless they're pushing it into the buffer tube while in battery.  Would  make shotgunning a wee bit difficult.

@backbencher

Then may the fuck be upon me. I will find a G2 some day for the right price and refit it to .260.  I made out like a bandit when freedom group went under. I bought a lot of parts when they were with the  liquidation company and built a glorious 28 inch .960 barreled .308. Same company that liquidated the American 55X Sig line.

Ok.  But you could buy a POF now, or a Ruger when it hits the shelves, take the bbl extension & bolt, add a .260 blank & have a lighter weight .260 than a G2 could ever be.

I built a 27" .223 Wylde, but it's a pencil, so w/ 3-9X scope, it's just over 8 lbs.  It handles like a wand w/o the bayonet fixed.  My late FIL was into Palma, so I get why you'd build a 28x1" .308, that's just not my game, and if you're going that heavy I'd just use the DPMS Gen 1 action, not a mid-weight Gen 2.  I'm guessing you got bbl extensions & blanks cheap or a bbl before it was turned down?  What's the velocity on that thing?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ok I can see if the upper is long into the handguard (look at where the handguard attaches), and the lower is longer out the back (look at the buffer tube interface) ... And the bcg is longer (conceptually I know those are heavy steel things) ...

I could see that the receiver and bcg are a big driver in the weight difference I presented, maybe more than the barrel?  Maybe the barrel isn't a driver after all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something like
Etc

The POF Rogue has a pencil, you can see it coming out of the handguards.  That's how Frank got a .308 under 6 lbs.

Bbls can be turned down, adjustable gas blocks added, shorter/lighter handguards can be fitted, gas turned down, weights pulled out of the buffer.  But if your solid steel bolt carrier is longer than a competing platform, you can never catch up on weight.  The Rogue starts at 5.9 lbs and can still lose some weight.  The Ruger can get down to Rogue weight if you throw a lot of money at it.  You'll have a helluva time getting the SIG under 6, and for that kinda of money, you probably could've gotten a Rogue under 5.  I dunno if you want a .308 class AR under 5 lbs, but I'll bet it could be done.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Buy bbl extension from Ruger.  Buy 8.6mm bbl blank.  Send both w/ bolt to Paladin Machine in South Carolina.
View Quote

Absolutely!
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's a Nitrided Cold Hammer-Forged 4140 barrel with 5R rifling. It will do fine.
View Quote

You can’t escape heat, metallurgy, and physics.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fair point.

I guess, in my pea brain, when I think of a long-range caliber, I think of things that go past the effective range of 5.56.

77gr 5.56 is plenty good out to 600y+, so I want whatever the "next" stage is to be 600y-1000y+. Hence my immediate jump to calibers like .338 or 6.5.

I forget sometimes that "better" calibers for various jobs exist inside of 600y.
View Quote

That’s where I’m at with it. I own a couple of .308 AR’s and an FAL just because I have a metric fuck ton of .308 but I’m not kidding myself about the limits of its performance.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That’s where I’m at with it. I own a couple of .308 AR’s and an FAL just because I have a metric fuck ton of .308 but I’m not kidding myself about the limits of its performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair point.

I guess, in my pea brain, when I think of a long-range caliber, I think of things that go past the effective range of 5.56.

77gr 5.56 is plenty good out to 600y+, so I want whatever the "next" stage is to be 600y-1000y+. Hence my immediate jump to calibers like .338 or 6.5.

I forget sometimes that "better" calibers for various jobs exist inside of 600y.

Good yes on paper grouping, but what about energy at that distance? Seems that we might be talking different things. India wants to hit distant Pakistanis.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fair point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Longer barrel life.

Fair point.

You can also find AP and tracers in 308.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Stop making things I like!
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good yes on paper grouping, but what about energy at that distance? Seems that we might be talking different things. India wants to hit distant Pakistanis.
View Quote

6.5 is going to retain more energy at range. Higher BC translates to less drop and (most importantly) less wind drift increasing hit probability.

If I’m pushing from 400 to 1k regularly I’ll take a 6.5 any day of the week.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@45-Seventy, haven't you mentioned seeing POF Rogues with broken bolts before (I could be thinking of someone else)?

View Quote

fwiw, my POF rogue just passed 2500rds with zero failures

been shooting 168gr exclusively just because I got a metric crap ton of it

scoped, fully loaded 20rd magazine it weighs right at flat 9lbs

I did add some weight to mine with the Kaw valley linear comp (still not sure that does anything at all other than add weight, but wishful thinking and all) and a different stock, but it sure is a handy little rifle
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

6.5 is going to retain more energy at range. Higher BC translates to less drop and (most importantly) less wind drift increasing hit probability.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm saying 556 gives up something to 308/6.5 at distance. And that's why I want one in the bigger caliber. But I'd personally choose 308 over 6.5 due to my perceived ammo cost and availability, 308 vs 6.5 ballistics be damned.

I know the extension of this argument leads to 338 or 50, but c'mon man.

I'm talking about 16" 308 carbines only and choosing between 716i and SFAR.  Not whether to go 20".
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

what does .308 do better than 6.5?
View Quote

Surplus M80 ball and barrel life….
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I did add some weight to mine with the Kaw valley linear comp (still not sure that does anything at all other than add weight, but wishful thinking and all) and a different stock, but it sure is a handy little rifle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@45-Seventy, haven't you mentioned seeing POF Rogues with broken bolts before (I could be thinking of someone else)?

Two of the most revolutionary Ar pattern guns in the last last 5 years is the POF Rogue and the Genesis Arms Gen 12.  

If you have an extra 4k laying around, A16” rogue and a 14” Gen 12 are absolutely worth it.

I say that as a cheapskate PSA enjoyer. Those two are worth the money.

I hope Ruger sets a trend toward small frame.308 standardization.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I agree, I became a believer in the 6.5 years ago after being one of 3 guys shooting .30 cals in a match. I don’t shoot in matches anymore so I still shoot the .30 cals because I’m invested in dies, bullets, powders etc…

Maybe one day I’ll will switch, maybe…
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Two of the most revolutionary Ar pattern guns in the last last 5 years is the POF Rogue and the Genesis Arms Gen 12.  

If you have an extra 4k laying around, A16” rogue and a 14” Gen 12 are absolutely worth it.

I say that as a cheapskate PSA enjoyer. Those two are worth the money.

I hope Ruger sets a trend toward small frame.308 standardization.
View Quote

Glad to see Genesis Arms doing well.  I remember when they came out, glad to see they're still around.  If you want one gun to do it all, that's it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I absolutely LOVE, my ruger SR762, ACCURATE AS HELL ! 5 shot one hole groups no problem.

I’ll never sell it, regret selling my second one, which was just as accurate. Iv got 3 spare BCGs for it. I’ll buy another one if I ever find one reasonable.

GREAT GUNS.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/CA8C2C7F-7289-4034-96F2-53D42DB64C5C_jpe-2516446.JPG
View Quote

Mark Farner of Grand Funk Railroad likes his too!

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bushmaster BAR-10 modified A2 20" with an Ace skeleton stock.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60034/Bushmasters_jpg-2517283.JPG

All the AR's pictured are old Bushmasters and mostly oddballs except for the top A2 with an A3 carry handle. The RRA you mentioned (LAR-8) is actually the grandson of the Bushmaster BAR-10 and was initially a RRA design that was licensed to Bushmaster. The "modification" designated a change to the bolt in later models and the rifle will say BAR-10 MOD on the side. The rifle was produced for a very short time (along with the other oddballs). Due to the fact in order to use the FN-FAL mags, one of the locking lugs was removed from the bolt. Many at the time thought that was a weak point and as time went on, there were reports that the bolts were in fact breaking. This much was true but it was the tail of the bolt, not the bolt face. There was a score mark 1/2" up from the end of the tail where it would snap off and also poor heat treatment. The broken tail section didn't effect the rifle but the damage was done. The score was removed and properly heat treated in the later models but due to the high cost of the rifle and the rumors of the rifles breaking, they dropped it after a year or so and released the license back to RRA who sat on it for a few years before re-releasing it as the LAR-8. Many of the parts are interchangeable. The benefit of using the FN-FAL mags were at the time they were only about $5.00 new in packaging for pre 94's and plentiful as opposed to Armalites that were like 6X that.

If you're interested in more history from the ABC era, the M-forgery on the bottom has a factory camouflage pattern on it. This one has the dessert but they made an Arctic (probably the rarest) and a hardwood. It was proprietary in that you couldn't just order the furniture. If you needed to replace a broken hand guard per say, you would need to send the broken one in. These to were short lived and discontinued. After a couple years Bushmaster decided to clean out the warehouse and offered odds and ends for sale so I picked up an extra bolt assembly for the 308 (just to have) and a set of the hand guards for the third oddball.

The stand alone upper is another oddity. It's in .22LR. Again, only made for a very short time. It was made when the only options you had to use .22's in your AR was to get a conversion kit like a Ciener conversion kit. I guess they were "okay" but not all that much by way of accuracy. The upper was built for .22's by way of barrel twist and such. It is extremely accurate. I use it primarily on the carbine hence the hand guard change.

For the time, Bushmaster (pre-Cerebus, now Wyndham weaponry) was pretty innovated and pushed things more so then most. Here's a link to an old catalog where some of these are found if you're into specs.

2004 catalog

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bushmaster (and then later RRA) made an FAL-based .308 AR.

It's a chonky boy.

(ETA: that's a 16" on the top and an 18" on the bottom, lol)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/20211230_135607-2222034.jpg

Bushmaster BAR-10 modified A2 20" with an Ace skeleton stock.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60034/Bushmasters_jpg-2517283.JPG

All the AR's pictured are old Bushmasters and mostly oddballs except for the top A2 with an A3 carry handle. The RRA you mentioned (LAR-8) is actually the grandson of the Bushmaster BAR-10 and was initially a RRA design that was licensed to Bushmaster. The "modification" designated a change to the bolt in later models and the rifle will say BAR-10 MOD on the side. The rifle was produced for a very short time (along with the other oddballs). Due to the fact in order to use the FN-FAL mags, one of the locking lugs was removed from the bolt. Many at the time thought that was a weak point and as time went on, there were reports that the bolts were in fact breaking. This much was true but it was the tail of the bolt, not the bolt face. There was a score mark 1/2" up from the end of the tail where it would snap off and also poor heat treatment. The broken tail section didn't effect the rifle but the damage was done. The score was removed and properly heat treated in the later models but due to the high cost of the rifle and the rumors of the rifles breaking, they dropped it after a year or so and released the license back to RRA who sat on it for a few years before re-releasing it as the LAR-8. Many of the parts are interchangeable. The benefit of using the FN-FAL mags were at the time they were only about $5.00 new in packaging for pre 94's and plentiful as opposed to Armalites that were like 6X that.

If you're interested in more history from the ABC era, the M-forgery on the bottom has a factory camouflage pattern on it. This one has the dessert but they made an Arctic (probably the rarest) and a hardwood. It was proprietary in that you couldn't just order the furniture. If you needed to replace a broken hand guard per say, you would need to send the broken one in. These to were short lived and discontinued. After a couple years Bushmaster decided to clean out the warehouse and offered odds and ends for sale so I picked up an extra bolt assembly for the 308 (just to have) and a set of the hand guards for the third oddball.

The stand alone upper is another oddity. It's in .22LR. Again, only made for a very short time. It was made when the only options you had to use .22's in your AR was to get a conversion kit like a Ciener conversion kit. I guess they were "okay" but not all that much by way of accuracy. The upper was built for .22's by way of barrel twist and such. It is extremely accurate. I use it primarily on the carbine hence the hand guard change.

For the time, Bushmaster (pre-Cerebus, now Wyndham weaponry) was pretty innovated and pushed things more so then most. Here's a link to an old catalog where some of these are found if you're into specs.

2004 catalog

Awesome. Thanks.

I've definitely got a soft spot for old Bushmaster... my very first AR was a Bushy E2S from 2007.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Starting to show up at the online distributors?

Not mine, not my store, dunno about them.
But if these street at $1000 ...

https://grovegunshop.com//product/rug-5610-sfar-7.62-nato-308-win-16.10-blk-20r

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/sfar

ETA: on nevermind they're already on GunBroker
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Now I'm leaning more to the Ruger vs 716.

I think the trigger and adjustable gas block are nice adders.

I know the sig has ambi safety and mag release.

The price helps too.

Toss up I guess.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would like to know exactly how Ruger saved ~1.2 lbs against the tread 716i.

Something like
Etc

View Quote

I think they're saying the barrel profile is "heavy"... I suppose that could mean different things for different manufacturers..
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Now I'm leaning more to the Ruger vs 716.

I think the trigger and adjustable gas block are nice adders.

I know the sig has ambi safety and mag release.

The price helps too.

Toss up I guess.
View Quote

Honestly, the Ruger is lighter and 4140 is still leaps and bounds stronger than any 400 series stainless barrel steel.

Maybe I will get one. I sold my 716 because it was heavy as shit for run and gun. Was going to get a Rogue but they went up in price a ton.

Only reason I still might get the Rogue is so I don’t have to get stuck with a shitty rail like POF’s or Ruger’s.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wonder what the accuracy will be like.
View Quote

My .308 RPR and my 5.56 AR-556 MPR 18" inspire thoughts of confidence when thinking about the accuracy potential of this rifle. This is going to be fun to watch and it's going to break the fucking hearts of dudes that spent twice as much and more! Not jumping off my 716I train but I will definitely be making a future purchase of one of the barrel lengths available. Need to do more research first and see how the launch goes.  

What is this pro ATF talk in regards to Ruger?

Is Ruger definitely not going to make a pistol before it's too late?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Only reason I still might get the Rogue is so I don’t have to get stuck with a shitty rail like POF’s or Ruger’s.
View Quote

Standard AR handguards/barrel nuts fit the Ruger, so you’re not “stuck” with that handguard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I absolutely LOVE, my ruger SR762, ACCURATE AS HELL ! 5 shot one hole groups no problem.

I’ll never sell it, regret selling my second one, which was just as accurate. Iv got 3 spare BCGs for it. I’ll buy another one if I ever find one reasonable.

GREAT GUNS.

I knew you had good taste.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/CA8C2C7F-7289-4034-96F2-53D42DB64C5C_jpe-2516446.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  My .308 RPR and my 5.56 AR-556 MPR 18" inspire thoughts of confidence when thinking about the accuracy potential of this rifle. This is going to be fun to watch and it's going to break the fucking hearts of dudes that spent twice as much and more! Not jumping off my 716I train but I will definitely be making a future purchase of one of the barrel lengths available. Need to do more research first and see how the launch goes.  

View Quote

Ruger spokesman was hauled in front of batshit liberals in Congress and asked about ATF.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Standard AR handguards/barrel nuts fit the Ruger, so you’re not “stuck” with that handguard.
View Quote

Was this released somewhere?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ruger spokesman was hauled in front of batshit liberals in Congress and asked about ATF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  My .308 RPR and my 5.56 AR-556 MPR 18" inspire thoughts of confidence when thinking about the accuracy potential of this rifle. This is going to be fun to watch and it's going to break the fucking hearts of dudes that spent twice as much and more! Not jumping off my 716I train but I will definitely be making a future purchase of one of the barrel lengths available. Need to do more research first and see how the launch goes.  

Be specific asked if they would support abolishing the ATF. Somehow not admitting that openly makes them anti freedom. People are so dumb.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:41:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Be specific asked if they would support abolishing the ATF. Somehow not admitting that openly makes them anti freedom. People are so dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People fucking suck! The ones with the strongest POV's usually are the least willing to put their ass on the line for you and yours. When it comes to my family's defense, or my duty as a man to defend & protect God's sheep, politics and popularity carry no weight.

Now, Is this a better gun then the 716I, it remains to be seen. I don't think so and I can debate it after surgery manana. One things for sure, it is lighter and it is a Ruger so it will be dead nutz accurate and reliable. For its price and features I think it will be a very desirable rifle. Here's the thing, just because it isn't built up like the SIG doesn't mean it can't do the same tricks or even more!
My only concern with this Ruger is the mid length gas and its light weight, I wonder what recoil will feel like when opening up but someone mentioned adjustable gas... Wow.... What else does this thing come with. Look forward to reading more about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:40:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Source? I’ve been watching videos and reading articles and haven’t seen mention of it. That would make this an absolute winner.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Source? I’ve been watching videos and reading articles and haven’t seen mention of it. That would make this an absolute winner.
View Quote

@olds442tyguy

Im liking what I see and Ruger makes good guns. This should be what you pick up to run. Don't fret on the barrel man Ruger makes good barrels. If or when you wear it out just replace the barrel. I have an 18" Ruger AR-556 MPR that is outstanding...
Attachment Attached File

I bought it because my Gen3 Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 is also a great gun.
Attachment Attached File

I will pick up one of these SFAR's within a year if there are NKD which I doubt there will be! The 716I is a lot of gun at $1300 to compete against and I really do think Ruger did a good Market Analysis before dropping this. People don't need KAC, LMT, H&K, Noveske, LaRue, even the super value in the group with the SIG. These days performance and durability between solid manufacturers is negligible. You can pay way more for extras and a name, or get a great value that sends the same performance down range with less flare or user swag but for an amazing price. Let's see if it is anywhere near as good as the POF, which some of you claim to have had teething issues, but the POF's appear to be running great from what I've heard.
How proprietary is the BCG and Bolt on this Ruger? If spares are easily available to quell the crying over proprietary issues I see no reason not to go all in lol.

You can build a lightweight Recce AR-308....
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  @olds442tyguy

Im liking what I see and Ruger makes good guns. This should be what you pick up to run. Don't fret on the barrel man Ruger makes good barrels. If or when you wear it out just replace the barrel. I have an 18" Ruger AR-556 MPR that is outstanding...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/6_Ruger_AR-556_MPR18_jpg-2518377.JPG

I bought it because my Gen3 Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 is also a great gun.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/10_Ruger_Precision_Rifle__jpg-2518378.JPG
I will pick up one of these SFAR's within a year if there are NKD which I doubt there will be! The 716I is a lot of gun at $1300 to compete against and I really do think Ruger did a good Market Analysis before dropping this. People don't need KAC, LMT, H&K, Noveske, LaRue, even the super value in the group with the SIG. These days performance and durability between solid manufacturers is negligible. You can pay way more for extras and a name, or get a great value that sends the same performance down range with less flare or user swag but for an amazing price. Let's see if it is anywhere near as good as the POF, which some of you claim to have had teething issues, but the POF's appear to be running great from what I've heard.
How proprietary is the BCG and Bolt on this Ruger? If spares are easily available to quell the crying over proprietary issues I see no reason not to go all in lol.

You can build a lightweight Recce AR-308....
View Quote

If they copied POF outright, which is what it looks like they did, then the bolt carrier itself will be an AR-15 part.  The gas key will be a proprietary one screw b/c of the longer stroke.  Firing pin will be extended, bolt will be proprietary, as .308 would destroy a .458 SOCOM bolt in short order.

While the upper will be proprietary along w/ the lower, parts may interchange w/ POF, and and AR-15 upper could possibly be modified as a replacement.

POF patented several features of the Rogue, I'm wondering if this is going to produce a patent suit against Ruger, or if Ruger has worked around those.  Ruger is becoming quite the cloner company, will they come out w/ a Glock next?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Already been done.

https://pof-usa.com/firearm/rogue/
View Quote

Full review on that one:

POF-USA Rogue .308 Win. AR-15 Rifle: Full Review
The Patriot Ordnance Factory (POF-USA) Rogue, an ultralight 5.9-pound AR-15 rifle chambered in .308 Winchester, might be the perfect woods gun.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Any other conversation here?  I'm lonely, let's talk GD
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Tech thread:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/775813_New-Ruger-SFAR-Small-Frame-Autoloading-rifle-.html

Someone's already gotten one in, scoped & bipoded it.  I've asked him to field strip it & give us pics & weights.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#45]
email from Grabagun says they have the 20" for $1099...

GAG in general a bit expensive IMO..
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought a 16" SFAR that will be at my FFL on Wednesday of this coming week. I paid $1030 plus $30 shipping.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I bought a 16" SFAR that will be at my FFL on Wednesday of this coming week. I paid $1030 plus $30 shipping.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Liter weight is moar better.

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Any recalls yet?

I’m glad they didn’t ditch the forward assist.
Looking forward to seeing how these hold up.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top