BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why the angst??

Private company approaches a private landowner and they put a business deal together that both are amenable to.  Free market capitalism.

Luddites here want to break shit.

Clownshoes.

View Quote

Luddite bullshit again.

That private company making the deal is paying for everything with tax dollars. The equipment is manufactured by slaves in China. The power company has to then buy the power whether they want it or not and it doesn't replace a single power plant because the sun doesn't shine at night so they have to keep those running too.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
They’ve been going up right and left here for probably ten years in sizes ranging from less than an acre to probably 2000 plus acres. I don’t even notice them anymore.
A couple of them can be easily found on Google Earth. There’s a very large one just south of Hazelhurst Georgia and another very large one just west of Butler Georgia. There’s one under construction near Snipesville Georgia that’s rumored to be 2500 plus acres and I recently saw one being constructed just north of Camilla Georgia. I’m guessing they’re here to stay.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why the angst??

Private company approaches a private landowner and they put a business deal together that both are amenable to.  Free market capitalism.

Clownshoes.

View Quote

LOL.  How much of their funding is from the tax payers?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nearly all of it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nearly all of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nearly all of it.

Then contact your Representatives and Senators.  Your bitching here is impotent.

ETA:  Yes they get tax breaks and subsidies, but .gov isn't footing the entire bill. Nothing is stopping any of you from doing the exact same thing.  Many of these projects are getting spun off to a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway after they are up and running.  Y'all can do the same thing and make a fortune.  Get busy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why the angst??

Clownshoes.

View Quote

Private company approaches a private landowner and they put a business deal together that both are amenable to using taxpayer dollars.  Crony capitalism.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Then contact your Representatives and Senators.  Your bitching here is impotent.

ETA:  Yes they get tax breaks and subsidies, but .gov isn't footing the entire bill. Nothing is stopping any of you from doing the exact same thing.  Many of these projects are getting spun off to a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway after they are up and running.  Y'all can do the same thing and make a fortune.  Get busy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nearly all of it.

And don't forget that most states now have mandatory green energy requirements.  Just more of that free market capitalism, right?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I admit I'd rather not live somewhere that looks like the outskirts of LA in Blade Runner 2049.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Private company approaches a private landowner and they put a business deal together that both are amenable to using taxpayer dollars.  Crony capitalism.
View Quote

Agreed. Completely legal. Also, it puts money in the pockets of the flyover states that the coastal elites like to trash.  I can't help but take glee in the green energy coastal zombies enriching those who they simultaneously demean, and rely upon for their virtue signaling lifestyles.  This alone makes the piss poor economics almost worth it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And don't forget that most states now have mandatory green energy requirements.  Just more of that free market capitalism, right?
View Quote

Voters, in some cases, asked for the requirements, and business responded to the demand.  It doesn't matter how economically stupid the mandate is, if someone can make money doing it, they will.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Voters, in some cases, asked for the requirements, and business responded to the demand.  It doesn't matter how economically stupid the mandate is, if someone can make money doing it, they will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So....free market capitalism or no?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Be glad it's not windmills....
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, you got any H1B folks in your AO?

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ehh, quasi free market.  Shouldn't exist, but it does.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As much as I hate to say it, you can’t blame this one on Biden.

We had one built in our area last year. Same situation as you describe.

Edit: and I agree op, they put a nasty scar on the landscape.
View Quote

And like a guy mentioned to me, look under the panels next time you pass a large solar farm. It's nothing but barren dirt. Looks like shit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.  Solar farms like in the discussion shouldn't exist because they are an artificial demand that increases the cost to consumers while simultaneously picking their pocket to create the product in the first place.

Sure glad I'm not defending them.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#17]
This state is going to be covered in the fucking things in another 10 years.  We’re one state where billboards are banned because they make the country side ugly and yet we have these disgusting fucking solar farms everything and that’s ok.  Pisses me off.  I need to move.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What I can't understand is how they are picking the locations for these things. I can't think of a more sunny place than the deserts and we have millions of acres of desert that is pretty much useless for anything else. It can't be farmed, it takes like 500 acres to raise one cow, there is no water so people don't live there. Why are they fucking up perfectly good and productive farm land to build these solar farms when they could build them places where the land has no real value?
View Quote

And that's why they built several large solar farms out in southern rural AZ. I pass several on the way to and from work. The land they went on was empty flat desert areas, not used as farmland, and with our water restrictions,  they were never going to be farms. So, no loss. And no cut in housing areas, well away from major housing areas by many miles. There is another being built along the road right now - we have a pretty good supply of regular sunshine here, no tornados, just blowing dust that will probably foul a bunch here and there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Crops and solar panels need the same thing.
View Quote

Brondo?  I didn’t know solar panels crave electrolytes...

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Have a couple around here. Well before FJB. Makes lots of sense too as we have something like 60 sunny days a year
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just found out this morning a solar farm company is doing regulatory across the street from me.  I live in a very quiet rural spot in Western PA.  We're finding out that the farmer who owns all of the fields around us has agreed to lease all of them for solar panels.

I know this isn't just happening here.  Is this the beginning of Bidens EV power infrastructure?  Transform our beautiful rural areas into fucking solar farms for their faggot electric cars?  

killdozer.gif
View Quote

Fuck that. You need to get your tracker and start ripping out their poisonous green energy. Those panels will cook the ground around your house and give you cancer.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

So do wind mills.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just found out this morning a solar farm company is doing regulatory across the street from me.  I live in a very quiet rural spot in Western PA.  We're finding out that the farmer who owns all of the fields around us has agreed to lease all of them for solar panels.

I know this isn't just happening here.  Is this the beginning of Bidens EV power infrastructure?  Transform our beautiful rural areas into fucking solar farms for their faggot electric cars?  

killdozer.gif
View Quote

Don't worry, it'll be just like wind power where all the graft and subsidies is in building them, not maintaining them, so they'll go derelict after a few years.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don't worry, it'll be just like wind power where all the graft and subsidies is in building them, not maintaining them, so they'll go derelict after a few years.
View Quote

Sounds plausible.  I mean the 25 days a year of sun we have in this shithole should generate about a watt or two.  Well worth the billions.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Instead of losing farmland to development now it is solar farms.

What about the fishbirds, Alaska needs more solar farms, riite? I mean the Penguins wittle flippers gets cold.

How about solar farms in the Appalachian Mountains, instead of coding coal miners they can aim solar panels.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I probably saw a dozen or more solar farms driving from the west metro to the SD border, some beautiful wind farms too.
How will this effect Agricultural production in the future, will we build them to the point of starvation?
View Quote

Beautiful wind farms?  You and I have a very different definition of that word.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Been going on for years here
No thought put into what to do with the panels when they reach the end of their lifespan in 25 years
Just think of it. Millions of solar panels, all aging out at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

From my understanding the farmer who was leasing the land was paying under $100 an acre.  I believe the solar farm is paying $600 per acre.

View Quote

So the actual owner of the land put the farmer out of business.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#30]
They Are talking about a 500 acre solar farm a little south of me
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why the angst??

Clownshoes.

View Quote

Lol at free market. What's larger, your IQ or your shoe size?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

That isn't crony capitalism, because the government didn't make some exclusive deal with the private company or the landowner.  They made a program that any company or landowner (presuming the land is suitable for that use) can take advantage of.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As a 30 + year retired Nuke I'll just say solar is a joke.

How much Solar Power is available?

The Solar Constant is the amount of solar energy that has radiated from the Sun and is available in space at the Earth's distance from the Sun,
before it gets into the Earth's atmosphere.

That amount is 1,353 Watts/sq. meter or 429.7 Btu/sq. ft./hour, which is called the Solar Constant.
This is the maximum available energy available from the sun near earth.

From here it only gets worse.

The atmosphere absorbs about 20% of that total and another almost 50% gets reflected back into space by clouds leaving us with about 130 BTU/sqft/hour or about 400 Watts/sq. meter.

Oh Yea - Almost forgot to mention that is only ~ 12 hours per day in good weather at the equator.
View Quote

Then why do I get sun burned in 14 minutes?
Thanks for writing this. I always wondered just how much of a "savior" solar really was. I spent $75 to get a 12"x5" panel to charge the battery in one of my cameras. It works flawlessly, but beyond recharging that battery I couldn't imagine they do much good.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I am wondering how long before they realize maintenance from drunk rednecks and kids shooting up panels is more than they want to deal with. As a guy who used to work on cell towers and has seen his share of bullet holes in antennae and coax I understand that management doesn't always see the ground levels on maintenance issues most of the time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#35]
A solar farm in the Northeast
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#36]
All of your lands belong to us
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Seeing a lot of it around here.  Seems to be mostly smaller defunct farms that were bought up by city transplants who don't farm or work the land.  Looks like absolute shit from a high point.
thanks fuckers
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The solar farm usually needs to be fairly close to a transmission sufficient to handle the output of the farm.    The dollars people are getting these days is not what it once was.   I looked into it a little.   You would have to do serious due diligence on it.
Term of lease
cleanup at end of lease
What are your taxes going to do with a million whatever $ in solar panels fixed to your property?

30K a year in lease money (for 50 acres) would help my "farm" from being the money pit it is as long as the taxes aren't 30k a year
View Quote

My family was approached several years ago. This "cleanup at end of lease" is why we opted "no". End of lease (when panels need to replaced), they move on and leave you with a toxic mess to clean up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Meanwhile, Ohio, NJ, NY, Ill, and Conn. have subsidies for their nuclear plants.  Right F'in now.   Why?  Falling wholesale prices of power really started to hurt them in the 2016 or so.      

And of course, in a number of other states, power costs are set in large part by the government.  You know, to assure min. price levels so the power plants can operate.  

The state subsidies for nuke power are in addition to all the help they got from the Fed.   Fuel enrichment, R&D, and protections from liability.  

I'm no fan of solar, and not a hater of nuclear.   But, some of y'all act as though solar or wind are the only power generation sources sucking the sugar tit.   Far from it.      

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#41]
We have tons of new wind farms being built in Western/Southwestern Oklahoma right now.  They are going up on a massive scale, I have never seen a build project this large, it covers two counties.

Every motel in each little farm town has been booked to capacity for months.  They have leased land from farmers just to build temporary RV parks for the workers.  

My horizon used to be clear, now it is nothing but windmills as far as I can see.  They are working 7 days a week and erecting several at a time.

And they are spending big dollars.  The company erecting the wind mills hired all the local concrete plants to pour 7 days a week for them and part of their contract was to buy all new mixing trucks for each plant cause they didnt want the plants using old equipment that might break.

The little concrete plant in my town got 10 brand new trucks out of the deal.

It is only a matter of time before they learn what kind of weather Western Oklahoma is famous for

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Ground will never be farmed again, too much concrete.  Amazing what environmental damage "green" power causes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Their land, their rights?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm not saying that is what's going on with the solar farm in OP's area, but solar and growing crops are not mutually exclusive on the same land. It will probably become more common.

Agrivoltaics. An economic lifeline for American farmers?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why the angst??

Clownshoes.

View Quote

I deal with some of this first hand.  Private companies work a purchase or a lease for farm land or wooded land.  More money than the owner can make farming or timber.  If they have a gas well on the site, no worries the family gets to double dip.  Then the private company sells the facility or just the project to a utility because they have been ordered to server load with some amount of renewable.  

Elections have consequences other than gun control.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Solar Constant is the amount of solar energy that has radiated from the Sun and is available in space at the Earth's distance from the Sun,

That amount is 1,353 Watts/sq. meter or 429.7 Btu/sq. ft./hour, which is called the Solar Constant.

The atmosphere absorbs about 20% of that total and another almost 50% gets reflected back into space by clouds leaving us with about 130 BTU/sqft/hour or about 400 Watts/sq. meter.

Oh Yea - Almost forgot to mention that is only ~ 12 hours per day in good weather at the equator.
View Quote

It’s less than 12 hours a day… the attenuation of light caused by oblique solar angles is significant.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It’s less than 12 hours a day… the attenuation of light caused by oblique solar angles is significant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the degradation of the panels  .05% a year I think...
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Meanwhile, Ohio, NJ, NY, Ill, and Conn. have subsidies for their nuclear plants.  Right F'in now.   Why?  Falling wholesale prices of power really started to hurt them in the 2016 or so.      

And of course, in a number of other states, power costs are set in large part by the government.  You know, to assure min. price levels so the power plants can operate.  

The state subsidies for nuke power are in addition to all the help they got from the Fed.   Fuel enrichment, R&D, and protections from liability.  

I'm no fan of solar, and not a hater of nuclear.   But, some of y'all act as though solar or wind are the only power generation sources sucking the sugar tit.   Far from it.      

View Quote

All entirely driven by onerous layers of regulations wrapped around nuclear that green energy doesn't have to deal with starting with millions of dollars in documentation just to get one approved and going up from there. A true free market would never consider solar or wind viable for grid energy, though they definitely have personal uses and I don't dispute that.

Here's the crucial problem with comparing the two though: No matter how many solar or wind farms you build they will never legitimately allow the replacement of a power plant that can provide power when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining. They are 100 percent an extra unnecessary feel good expense tacked on top of the cost of traditional power plants regardless of anything else.*

* Unless you are willing to go full California and just goat fuck your grid for the cause.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As much as I hate to say it, you can’t blame this one on Biden.

We had one built in our area last year. Same situation as you describe.

View Quote

I would take solar farms over wind farms any day.

Solar sits close to the ground and makes no noise.

Windmills make a shit ton of noise and can be seen for miles.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Its not just the rural areas.  

Over the next 20 years, we will see solar mounted on tons of new buildings and parking structures.  Shopping areas with a huge "car port" for a parking lot with solar panels on top.   The local grocery store, which is open 360 days a year, will be supplied with some portion of its daily power consumption via solar.  

Meanwhile, solar costs per watt are dropping, and panel efficiency is increasing, albeit slowly.  

The next step after that will be residential, with many southern facing roofs on homes designed for an array of panels.  

Goal here is not for solar to provide 100% of the commercial or residential needs.  Just some portion of the daily power demands in "no battery" type set ups.  The commercial space or home will run on the grid at night, and the solar array just provides some offset on sunny days.  

Its coming.  

View Quote

That is a fine use of solar power.  

Small single buildings or even larger structures.  Not the grid.

Parking ramps with solar panel roofs?  Fine, as long as the building is optimized for it.

Same with any other structure.  

The problem with using wind or solar on the grid is the waste that happens.

Non-optimized buildings that use far too much power for no reason, miles of cable that eat the energy.

That is something you rarely hear about.  When power goes over power lines, how much is lost?

I would bet if someone did the real numbers, the net gain for wind and solar would be much closer to zero.

If they measure the output at the device it is much higher than the output a few miles away, yet all output metrics are done at the device.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top