Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He invented conservative Hatefotainment which appealed to a large segment of the country and others followed in his footsteps .......... Beck, Bolling, Hannity, Carlson etc..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was an entertainer, that's all

He invented conservative Hatefotainment which appealed to a large segment of the country and others followed in his footsteps .......... Beck, Bolling, Hannity, Carlson etc..

Yeah, probably the worst thing to happen to any conservative movement

Capture attention
Show outrage
Move on to the next

Nothing got done

He wrote a children's book? Yeah I can tell it had a big impact on Gen Z what with they're all gay and trans now. Really skewered me with that point

Rush had the time and influence to mentor multiple successors and boost dissident voices, instead he chose to be a star and gatekeeper of the movement. Don't get mad at me, get mad at yourself for doing little more than listening and being entertained.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Some things are more cost effective to rebuild than remodel.  None of this matters if you are a billionaire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty common thing to do.

Some things are more cost effective to rebuild than remodel.  None of this matters if you are a billionaire.

This, basically. Rich people doing rich people things.

Astros owner just did similar here, bought a historic mansion and demoed it to build whatever.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I wish I did. I think it was his brother mentioning it in an interview about a year after Rush passed. Kathryn hated him for it.

Just google Kathryn Limbaugh cheating and all sorts of shit pops up about the subject and that they were in the middle of a divorce settlement.
View Quote

That’s unfortunate but not completely surprising. She was way out of his league physically so I assumed it was a money play. Better to take an occasional Bunny Ranch trip and remain a bachelor but I suspect he wanted a companion as he aged.

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Capture attention
Show outrage
Move on to the next

Nothing got done

He wrote a children's book? Yeah I can tell it had a big impact on Gen Z what with they're all gay and trans now. Really skewered me with that point

Rush had the time and influence to mentor multiple successors and boost dissident voices, instead he chose to be a star and gatekeeper of the movement. Don't get mad at me, get mad at yourself for doing little more than listening and being entertained.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Capture attention
Show outrage
Move on to the next

Nothing got done

Thank God we have people like you to do the real heavy lifting in the political sphere by egoposting on arfcom
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Capture attention
Show outrage
Move on to the next

Nothing got done

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Capture attention
Show outrage
Move on to the next

Nothing got done

Most of the show content was review and comment on the news, and the few times he did talk about something I had personal knowledge about, it was a double wash of Gell-Mann Amnesia.  He had a loose grip on the published story, which was itself a poor report on actual events, and so he'd riff for 40 minutes upside down and backwards to what was going on.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeppers the rich love tearing down expensive homes just to build their own expensive home
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I miss Rush.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That’s unfortunate but not completely surprising. She was way out of his league physically so I assumed it was a money play. Better to take an occasional Bunny Ranch trip and remain a bachelor but I suspect he wanted a companion as he aged.

View Quote

He paid Elton John one million dollars to play a set at their wedding. He talked about it after they got back from their month long honeymoon to exotic spots around the World on his new Gulfstream G550.

It was all her idea.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Most of the show content was review and comment on the news, and the few times he did talk about something I had personal knowledge about, it was a double wash of Gell-Mann Amnesia.  He had a loose grip on the published story, which was itself a poor report on actual events, and so he'd riff for 40 minutes upside down and backwards to what was going on.
View Quote

LOL
Right
But the lemmings took it as actual factual reporting not opinion.
Gawd they were so gullible.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Capture attention
Show outrage
Move on to the next

Nothing got done

The funny thing is, the libs tried for literally decades to prove EVERYTHING he said was incorrect and they failed 99+% of the time. It drove them absolutely nuts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They pay $155 million for the property, maybe another few million to demolish, so that land cost Lauder maybe $160 million.  That is one expensive knock down.
View Quote

Now that's what I call fuck it money.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I trust they will keep the lights low during turtle hatching season.
View Quote

Ha! First thing I thought of.
View Quote

Yeah, I assumed it was being demolished for the sea turtles when I read the thread title.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#14]
What are they gonna do with that acre of mahogany flooring?
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What did Rush conserve? He was the most visible and active voice of an entire generation. Was the country better, or worse, at the end of his tenure?

He's gone, and mostly forgotten. No legacy left behind by his own choices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's what he would have wanted

You can tell because he left no successor, never mentored a replacement, didn't do much other than bloat on about how the country was going to shit for 30 years while happily cashing checks

Biden '24! Right bro?!

What did Rush conserve? He was the most visible and active voice of an entire generation. Was the country better, or worse, at the end of his tenure?

He's gone, and mostly forgotten. No legacy left behind by his own choices.

You are a glittering jewel of colossal ignorance....as Rush would say. He created the new right-wing media. We owe him a debt of gratitude.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He paid Elton John one million dollars to play a set at their wedding. He talked about it after they got back from their month long honeymoon to exotic spots around the World on his new Gulfstream G550.

It was all her idea.
View Quote

Rush was very generous with his wealth so that’s no surprise. Sounds like she was more of a gold digger which is very unfortunate but I suspect Rush understood that and was ok with it. Cheating, if that happened, was the issue but his Cancer became a priority.

Again if I were him I would’ve just remained a bachelor and had my needs met but everyone that knew him personally said he was just a lovably guy.

Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You are a glittering jewel of colossal ignorance....as Rush would say. He created the new right-wing media. We owe him a debt of gratitude.
View Quote

Mabey. Or he saw what was working for Howard Stearn and brought Shock radio to a different audience.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mabey. Or he saw what was working for Howard Stearn and brought Shock radio to a different audience.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I miss Rush.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#21]
10 years ago rented a house for short term in a nice part of town that was aging. It wasn't super expensive but still had the appeal of being a nice part of town. Somone bought the small house across the street for $400k and tore it down to get the lot and then built a new house. The neighbor went through all the permits and pain in the ass to add a second floor that was cantillevered out larger than the ground floor. Crazy to me but some people really want soandso location.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ditto
View Quote

Mega
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 3:32:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mega
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto

Mega
Rio Linda
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's what he would have wanted

You can tell because he left no successor, never mentored a replacement, didn't do much other than bloat on about how the country was going to shit for 30 years while happily cashing checks

View Quote

You are very, very wrong.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
But by the Second Term of Obama, Rush was becoming politically stale. He went from being a firebrand to being repetitive. Hearing the same talking points in the 2010s that I heard in the late 1990s. Yeah, it became tiring.
View Quote

I think what hurt the show most of all was that it seemed to lose its sense of humor in its later days. The Paul Shanklin parody songs disappeared, as did the various Updates, all replaced by standard political talk, which was fine, but the comedy bits were what made the show fun and edgy in its earlier years. It just wasn’t the same.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Rush was very generous with his wealth so that’s no surprise. Sounds like she was more of a gold digger which is very unfortunate but I suspect Rush understood that and was ok with it. Cheating, if that happened, was the issue but his Cancer became a priority.

Again if I were him I would’ve just remained a bachelor and had my needs met but everyone that knew him personally said he was just a lovably guy.

View Quote

No doubt.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean like most everyone does?  At least Rush never threaten to leave the country if so-and-so won.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Houses of the super rich rarely last.

The Long Island mansions of 100+ years ago often stood only 20 years. Many caught on fire when the heirs couldn't afford the property taxes.

Rush's house would have become a maintenance nightmare.

Ironically the new house will be no better, probably worse.

Rush seemed lonely when he was living in that house with just his cat Pumpkin.

If I was in my car at 12:06 PM I tuned in.  

For those old enough to remember 1988, Rush was the first.  

Who is this guy?...when he first came on the air... He's saying things no one else says.

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wonder what happened to EIB-One.
View Quote

Same.

I also wonder how cancer snuck up on a man with such resources as Rush.  I guess he never went to the doctor for checkups?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I just drifted away from talk radio after he passed.

I found no content worth staying for. He anchored the field.

I have some podcasts I keep up with, but nobody could replace him.

He came at a time when we didn't have community or voice as we do now, and he let us all know we weren't alone, and we got to hear each other and talk with each other.

At that time, it was magazines, periodicals, the smattering of academics and academic books, and ... election season meetings.

Those who have no memory of the before can't begin to grasp it.
View Quote

I've never listened to Rush, but I often hear people compare Jesse Kelly to him.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.
When you've got F.U. money and the property is worth more than the house.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#32]
He wont miss it
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think what hurt the show most of all was that it seemed to lose its sense of humor in its later days. The Paul Shanklin parody songs disappeared, as did the various Updates, all replaced by standard political talk, which was fine, but the comedy bits were what made the show fun and edgy in its earlier years. It just wasn't the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But by the Second Term of Obama, Rush was becoming politically stale. He went from being a firebrand to being repetitive. Hearing the same talking points in the 2010s that I heard in the late 1990s. Yeah, it became tiring.

I think what hurt the show most of all was that it seemed to lose its sense of humor in its later days. The Paul Shanklin parody songs disappeared, as did the various Updates, all replaced by standard political talk, which was fine, but the comedy bits were what made the show fun and edgy in its earlier years. It just wasn't the same.
You're right about that. There was a sense of humor that slowly slipped away and disappeared.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rush came before Stern
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've never listened to Rush, but I often hear people compare Jesse Kelly to him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He came at a time when we didn't have community or voice as we do now, and he let us all know we weren't alone, and we got to hear each other and talk with each other.

At that time, it was magazines, periodicals, the smattering of academics and academic books, and ... election season meetings.

Jesse Kelly is a good man. Worthy of a listen. Funny too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to love listening to his show in the 90s. I had a job that made it easy to listen to the radio while I worked. That changed and I wasn't a regular listener for many years. The people saying he didn't change anything probably weren't around then. He was the only conservative I remember with a large audience, and he did that on AM radio which was pretty much dead. It had to be AM radio because the democrats controlled every other form of media. I think he was a large part of why the republicans won in 1994.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I used to love listening to his show in the 90s. I had a job that made it easy to listen to the radio while I worked. That changed and I wasn't a regular listener for many years. The people saying he didn't change anything probably weren't around then. He was the only conservative I remember with a large audience, and he did that on AM radio which was pretty much dead. It had to be AM radio because the democrats controlled every other form of media. I think he was a large part of why the republicans won in 1994.
View Quote
He did AM because it was cheaper to get syndicated on AM stations and they carried further.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I miss Rush.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Erased from memory.
No monuments to a great conservative icon.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
He did AM because it was cheaper to get syndicated on AM stations and they carried further.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a huge neglected market was there for the pickings. Right man for the right time. At the right place.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has a burning hate for Commies. Excellent!
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Wasn't his house decorated extremely gaudy?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wasn't his house decorated extremely gaudy?
View Quote

Neo-Baroque?

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Erased from memory.
View Quote

His gravesite is fairly prominent; at the Bellefontaine in St. Louis. That’s the only “monument” I know of to him.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Any bet there was a nice safe room inside somewhere
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The real monument to Rush is the almost 40 years of conservatives he nursed into political awareness and let them know they are not alone.

Before then they thought the big 3 networks and CNN were balanced news and that only a few people felt like they did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Erased from memory.

His gravesite is fairly prominent; at the Bellefontaine in St. Louis. That’s the only “monument” I know of to him.

The real monument to Rush is the almost 40 years of conservatives he nursed into political awareness and let them know they are not alone.

Before then they thought the big 3 networks and CNN were balanced news and that only a few people felt like they did.

Walter Cronkite. Dan Rather. Peter Jennings. Katie Couric. Official deliverers of the truth. and world view.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#48]
American history on cd rom.  Get your Rush on.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

He had the children’s books published, trying to bring up the next generation.

What have you done?
View Quote

Yes!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I miss Rush.
View Quote

Every time I see his name, my heart sinks. RIP Rush.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top