Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
snake boots, good light, and a sharp eye.

I do it every weekend this time of year.  My SIG has snake shot in the tube also.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You dont walk. You emerge from underwater with your best seal face

Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick for poking around, keep your weight on your back foot 'til you know you're stepping on something solid-ish.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Lots of reasons to go into the swamp.  Good fishing spot.  Great hunting for deer and hogs.  Cutting down swamp cabbage to go with your fish and game.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I have found that good hip waders, LOTS of DEET, and a fully loaded 870 to be the best combination.

Maybe carry a 4 foot long stick to hit the spider webs down with.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#7]
What is the number one thing to have when walking through a thick, nasty swamp?

THE CONSTITUTION
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is the number one thing to have when walking through a thick, nasty swamp?

THE CONSTITUTION
View Quote
Nowadays, that is about as useful as a cross and holy water in that swamp.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#9]
It depends on what else you are carrying out there. If your load weighs around 175-220 pounds, you might want to think about a boat or some sort of flotation. If your load is 95-120 pounds, you could possibly get away with walking, but it still sounds like a lot of work. So, I would say a stick.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bingo.  Also so you can feel the ground before you step, so you don't fall in a deep hole or mud so bottomless you cannot get out.

Waders might be as important though.  
View Quote
Waders will drown you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]
In the swamps of Louisiana there are these death traps known as "stump holes". My Louisiana people can vouch for these.

The tree dies and the tap root rots out leaving a man sized hole straight down and I have seen them as deep as about 5 feet. They are always full of water. Combine that with the swamp water rising after rains or spring floods and you have a nasty surprise.

That walking stick will come in real handy if you step off in one of them.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top