BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Coyote brown all the things.

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
ASAT is the better camo but it doesn't look cool to the human eye close up.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?b=1&f=5&t=2628839&tl=Should-the-US-Army-change-current-camouflage-pattern-due-to-the-widespread-use-of-Multicam-&r=103131417&page=1#
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was a time where nearly everyone wore fatigues.  Perhaps fewer, but still a "lot" wore something that looked a lot like woodland.

Its the nature of things.
View Quote

A combat uniform, also called field uniform, battledress or military fatigues, is a casual type of uniform used by military, police, fire and other public uniformed services for everyday fieldwork and combat duty purposes, as opposed to dress uniforms worn in functions and parades.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Caleb Crye of Crye precision is a fucken retard who just couldn't be bothered to protect multicam.

He had some ideas to improve it and make it better.....but alas

Greg Thompson the other guy of Crye precision DID have good ideas.

But alas..when I attended their shot show parties......one of the reps. told me that they will ride and milk the multicam forever.

View Quote

The original Scorpion pattern was jointly developed by Crye Precision and the Army for the Objective Force Warrior program in 2002, and Crye made small adjustments for trademark purposes to create MultiCam. Because Scorpion is similar to MultiCam, the same color Velcro, buttons, and zippers can be reused.[45][46] OCP resembles MultiCam with muted greens, light beige, and dark brown colors, but uses fewer beige and brown patches and no vertical twig and branch elements.[47] On 31 July 2014, the Army formally announced
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't matter.  The Army will change its uniform designs all the time regardless.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#6]
As long as it has a place for the blue or yellow arm and leg bands.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What was wrong with Olive Drab?
View Quote

Too drab.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
MARPAT (Marine Camouflage Pattern) figured out how to prevent others from using it, even the Army.

Step 1:  Patent the design
Step 2:  Include the Eagle-Globe-and-Anchor and "USMC" into the pattern.

It's a better pattern and it an outgrowth of CDPAT and even some Tiger Strip influence.

It was developed and implemented in 18 months for a fraction of the cost the Army had to spend.  Never mind the absolute disasters of the Army ACU, Air Force (which admitted their pattern didn't work as camo but looked really cool and had to issue Army uniforms for their people deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan) and the Navy "blueberry" pattern which doesn't hide you at all except the one time you want to be found (overboard).

Wikipedia MARPAT
MARPAT The Marine Camouflage Pattern
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Real tree lol.

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting how many new and/or low post count folks are in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#12]
It’s the new M81 woodland in terms of widespread proliferation.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Don't give them any ideas.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anybody got a link to a good site to shop various camo patterns?
View Quote

https://iacmc.forumotion.com/
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OD green and local dirt ftw.
View Quote

Seems to have worked for the Israelis since 1948.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It does seem weird watching footage of them fighting each other with both sides sometimes looking straight up like American soldiers
View Quote

same here    confusing  lots of times the vid will say 'Side X bombs Side Y' and I'm watching thinking it could be the exact opposite for all i can tell.  ESPECIALLY given they use a lot of the same equipment too.

its a complete camo universe roadshow over there ...  guess thats why they went with the bright colored tape arm / helmet bands for quick ID
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Dugan Ashley had the answer for this
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#18]
From what I’ve seen, the USN AOR-2 pattern seems to be pretty effective

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All Ranger Green or Rhodesian Brushstroke.
View Quote

yeah the Ranger Green is basically in the same color band as the old German 'Feldgrau' which means Field Gray.  basically a mix of gray / green depending on the mix.

pretty cool and a good color to blend in with a lot of environments in Europe.   not a desert color obviously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldgrau

you basically need two patterns.   a pattern for woodland / green areas and a desert pattern.  IMO in snowy environment a patterned throw on over-smock type top would be sufficient.

https://www.military.com/equipment/marine-snow-camouflage-uniform

-----------------------------------
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Multicam.

MULTICAM!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We should bring back M81 Woodland. Maybe also tiger stripe.
View Quote

And heavy starch with shined boots

These woke FNGs have been running around in their multicam pajamas
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Heavily starched OD fatigues would certainly be different from what our adversaries will be wearing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Pretty soon, most observation will be done by AIs with cameras. AIs will be specifically looking for camouflage and won't be fooled the way the human eye is. The trick will be to look like something the AI dismisses as irrelevant.

Family Guy - Peter Doesn't Fit in the Army
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26154/8C54692F-1023-4FAF-9E90-D42B483DBBF3_jpe-2737202.JPG
View Quote

Maybe so but I still haven't figured out why big Navy decided every sailor should wear it all the time, including office environments.  Especially ridiculous if the sailor or sailorette is one of the many fatbodys.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thank God it's just the ATACS FG.

No AU. I'm good    

Speaking of new Uniforms, the Canadians have a new CADPAT color:

https://strikehold.net/2021/04/05/canadian-defence-forces-adopt-new-camouflage-pattern/
View Quote

That's a stupid color palette use in Canada or most of Europe. The current temperate CADPAT colors are perfect for Canada
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MARPAT (Marine Camouflage Pattern) figured out how to prevent others from using it, even the Army.

It's a better pattern and it an outgrowth of CDPAT and even some Tiger Strip influence.

It was developed and implemented in 18 months for a fraction of the cost the Army had to spend.  Never mind the absolute disasters of the Army ACU, Air Force (which admitted their pattern didn't work as camo but looked really cool and had to issue Army uniforms for their people deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan) and the Navy "blueberry" pattern which doesn't hide you at all except the one time you want to be found (overboard).

Wikipedia MARPAT
View Quote

There's always ways around that. If the DOD wants the entire military to wear MARPAT, then the entire military will wear MARPAT, Minus the Eagle-Globe-and-Anchor and USMC. the USMC will throw a temper tantrum, but will have no say.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#28]
RealTree AP or if you have to, Mossy Joke.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Starting this thread because my 11 year old son asked me why The Russians and Ukrainians are wearing American Camo. I thought it was a good question and one I noticed, but really hadn’t thought about.

I was a 19D from 08-12 (Garry Owen)! Way back in The UCP Days. (Which everyone hated, but myself and those in my platoon who found it quite effective in the Light snow covered, Mountains of AFG. In Iraq I could see why our guys stood out like a road flare. (We actually got a uniform called ‘Delta’ UCP which had a burnt orange pixels thrown in. Looked cool.

On 02/24/22 Ukraine had A unique Brown/Light Grey/Tan/Dark Grey Digital Design similar to UCP but better. I like the pattern. Russia came in swinging with the Ratnik/Digital Flora Micro Pattern. As time passed, Ratnik along with Modern kit started getting mixed in with older Russian and Soviet designs. By Summer/Fall Ukrainians started wearing Multicam, around the same time Russian soldiers did as well. So as of a year and 10 Days in, I’m seeing both sides primarily using Multicam (However I do still see some Ukrainians in the Digital Pattern. (As a bystander i appreciate the colored tape). Oddly enough I’ve seen UCP show up over the winter. Real deal U.S. UCP not the Ukrainian Digital, which is similar but different.

I’ve seen everyone from the Taliban, Iranians, Chinese and Russians wearing Multicam. I don’t like it.

Since adoption, the pattern has spread like wildfire. I used to think M81 Woodland was Global. Its reach pales in comparison to Multicam.

Should the US Army consider a change in camo to match possible future A/O’s and do what Canada does with CADPAT. (Basically make it vaporware unless issued to a member of the Canadian Military) That would however put a financial dent in companies who don’t have GOV Contracts but make good, Berry Compliant and usually better than issued gear but rely on profits from Civilian Sales in a big way.

View Quote

Multicam is patented by Crye Precision so nobody is using it without license.  All are copies including US mil, Natick just changed it enough to avoid infringement.  I still have the copy of Industrial Design magazine that feature the then Crye Associates’ introduction of Multicam in the 1990’s.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#30]
They need something new.  The last thing you want is camo that looks the same as everything around it.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There's always ways around that. If the DOD wants the entire military to wear MARPAT, then the entire military will wear MARPAT, Minus the Eagle-Globe-and-Anchor and USMC. the USMC will throw a temper tantrum, but will have no say.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wikipedia MARPAT

Like a lot of things associated with the USMC there's a lot of bullshit and propaganda around MARPAT. The idea that MARPAT was developed at a fraction of the cost of the Army camouflage program, for example. When people toss out exorbitant numbers for the cost of the Army camouflage program they're typically referring to the total cost of replacing all the Army's camo clothing and equipment. When they talk about the USMC's cheap camo program, on the other hand, they're referring solely to the money the USMC spent developing MARPAT. Even this development only number isn't really fair; MARPAT, UCP, CADPAT, and AOR are really all the same camouflage pattern printed in different colors; a camouflage pattern that was originally developed by the US Army in the 80s/90s. The Army could adopt MARPAT minus the EGA today and the USMC couldn't do shit about it because the Army developed that pattern in the first place.

This doesn't change the fact that the US Army's camo selection process was a disaster, of course.

Quoted:

Multicam is patented by Crye Precision so nobody is using it without license.  All are copies including US mil, Natick just changed it enough to avoid infringement.  I still have the copy of Industrial Design magazine that feature the then Crye Associates’ introduction of Multicam in the 1990’s.

Do you perhaps mean the 2003 issue that talks about how Crye developed a new camo pattern for the US Army as part of Project Scorpion?

https://soldiersystems.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ID-Magazine-Features-Crye-Precision-print.pdf

Scorpion is the original, Multicam is Crye's commercial version incorporating enough changes that the Army didn't go after them for profiting off the Army's intellectual property.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26154/8C54692F-1023-4FAF-9E90-D42B483DBBF3_jpe-2737202.JPG
View Quote

Also known as the slightly lighter green Marpat
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#34]
The Current owners of the Tigerstripe pattern have some pretty interesting patterns that would probably be fairly effetive. I actually really like their All-Terrain Tigerstripe.
https://www.tigerstripeproducts.com/
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Starting this thread because my 11 year old son asked me why The Russians and Ukrainians are wearing American Camo. I thought it was a good question and one I noticed, but really hadn’t thought about.

I was a 19D from 08-12 (Garry Owen)! Way back in The UCP Days. (Which everyone hated, but myself and those in my platoon who found it quite effective in the Light snow covered, Mountains of AFG. In Iraq I could see why our guys stood out like a road flare. (We actually got a uniform called ‘Delta’ UCP which had a burnt orange pixels thrown in. Looked cool.

On 02/24/22 Ukraine had A unique Brown/Light Grey/Tan/Dark Grey Digital Design similar to UCP but better. I like the pattern. Russia came in swinging with the Ratnik/Digital Flora Micro Pattern. As time passed, Ratnik along with Modern kit started getting mixed in with older Russian and Soviet designs. By Summer/Fall Ukrainians started wearing Multicam, around the same time Russian soldiers did as well. So as of a year and 10 Days in, I’m seeing both sides primarily using Multicam (However I do still see some Ukrainians in the Digital Pattern. (As a bystander i appreciate the colored tape). Oddly enough I’ve seen UCP show up over the winter. Real deal U.S. UCP not the Ukrainian Digital, which is similar but different.

I’ve seen everyone from the Taliban, Iranians, Chinese and Russians wearing Multicam. I don’t like it.

Since adoption, the pattern has spread like wildfire. I used to think M81 Woodland was Global. Its reach pales in comparison to Multicam.

Should the US Army consider a change in camo to match possible future A/O’s and do what Canada does with CADPAT. (Basically make it vaporware unless issued to a member of the Canadian Military) That would however put a financial dent in companies who don’t have GOV Contracts but make good, Berry Compliant and usually better than issued gear but rely on profits from Civilian Sales in a big way.

View Quote

After being in 20 years across 5 different camouflage patterns, 2 different dress uniforms, and 2 different PT uniforms, the answer is "not only no, but FUCK NO!" Multicam works, leave it the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#38]
OD green or coyote
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#39]
AOR2 fucks. Love it. Would wear it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't the air force have something that resembled tiger stripe cammo?
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There was a time where nearly everyone wore fatigues.  Perhaps fewer, but still a "lot" wore something that looked a lot like woodland.

Its the nature of things.
View Quote

When I was in back in the mid 70's to 80's it was starched OG 107's then those stupid permanent press fatigues, got out when woodland cammo was coming out.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
#kryptekmasterrace

All others GTFO
View Quote

The monster energy drink of camouflage.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What was wrong with Olive Drab?
View Quote

Too commie...
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Why bother. Less than a day after we switch to a new camo everyone else will copy it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Any new camo we implement will be copied that same week.

The only way to limit it would be to hide it from the public or restrict usage. Even then it's only a matter of time....
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Good cammo helps but movement is what gets you spotted.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not in when deployed in desert regions.
View Quote

So lets stay the fuck out of the middle east.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Turns out in any conventional conflict we will look so alive with our adversary both side will just end up putting shiny neon tape on our heads.

So maybe we take that into consideration. And make it camo but also recognizably different.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Will I need a new sofa?
Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top