Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got an email from them today that subscription will soon expire.   I don't any subscription there.   Now they are charging for access to the site.   $12.95 a month or its $10.83 a month for an annual subscription.

Maybe you should try this

http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/16_Precision_Rifles.html

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Ok so, to clarify, they are NOT going to be charging a general monthly subscription fee?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you move over or sign up on the new site you receive 7 days of 'premium content' for free. This includes all of the SH training videos, a few private forums and I'm not sure what else.

Up to you if its worth it.

Otherwise, everything is free as usual.

Ok so, to clarify, they are NOT going to be charging a general monthly subscription fee?

No. This was brought up in a few different threads over there as well as many people understood it to mean it was now a subscription site. There is no monthly fee for anything other than the premium content.

ETA - About a week ago he (Frank) did bitch about the fact that the EE forums over there had the vast majority of posts in them instead of the shooting related forums and was whining about how the WTS forum should be a sub based forum. I wouldn't look into it too much as he gets whiny and just says shit like this; plus that would be pretty much the final nail.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you move over or sign up on the new site you receive 7 days of 'premium content' for free. This includes all of the SH training videos, a few private forums and I'm not sure what else.

Up to you if its worth it.

Otherwise, everything is free as usual.

Yeah, it's only if you want to keep the "premium" content that they gave everyone. That said, everything you said above about SH is correct. The group-think on that site is toxic and does nothing but stifle productive discussion and debate. Add in all the ignorant people who have never shot a rifle past 100 yards and information that's of any value is essentially buried in bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No. This was brought up in a few different threads over there as well as many people understood it to mean it was now a subscription site. There is no monthly fee for anything other than the premium content.

ETA - About a week ago he (Frank) did bitch about the fact that the EE forums over there had the vast majority of posts in them instead of the shooting related forums and was whining about how the WTS forum should be a sub based forum. I wouldn't look into it too much as he gets whiny and just says shit like this; plus that would be pretty much the final nail.
View Quote

Frank is seriously the most easily butthurt forum admin I've ever come across on the internet. He'll bitch and cry and insult people about the WTS forum thing but I'd be surprised if even he were dumb enough to try and make it subscription based. It would certainly be the final nail in SH's coffin.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuck em
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I read this as Snipershide Challenge.

I imagened something cool like, who can spot the sniper. Who can make the best ghillie suit. Who can shoot the smallest group from 1,000 yards.

Instead I find out you have to fucking pay to play, screw that I'll just go watch more TiborasaurusRex.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Thinking about this a little more...

There's no reason the email had to be vague like it was. They could have easily said "everyone was given X weeks of premium access for free, if you'd like to keep the premium access then you need to pay. If you don't want to keep the premium access then you don't need to pay anything and you can keep using all the normal site features." but instead they left it really vague which quite obviously led a lot of people to believe you had to pay to use the site at all. I wonder if that was intentional, trying to get some money out of the people who believed that they'd have to pay to use any of the site when they would otherwise not pay just to keep the premium features.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thinking about this a little more...

There's no reason the email had to be vague like it was. They could have easily said "everyone was given X weeks of premium access for free, if you'd like to keep the premium access then you need to pay. If you don't want to keep the premium access then you don't need to pay anything and you can keep using all the normal site features." but instead they left it really vague which quite obviously led a lot of people to believe you had to pay to use the site at all. I wonder if that was intentional, trying to get some money out of the people who believed that they'd have to pay to use any of the site when they would otherwise not pay just to keep the premium features.
View Quote

True.

But remember what you're dealing with here. 50+% of the entire site didn't even know there was a scout website or that SH was moving. Yet you would repeatedly get called a dumb fuck idiot by Frank if you made a post or asked about it because you didn't happen to frequent the one thread about it in the entire forum.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think maybe everyone got a free one month pass to the paid membership
View Quote

That was mighty white of them, wasn't it?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Got real fuckin tired of forums wanting membership dues.

Few years back, looked up and realized I was PAYING dues to 7 fuckin forums. 7!
Fuck that shit!  
Arf is the only forum, from that time forward, that I every paid to be a "member" of.
There is just too much information on the web to have to pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Out of curiosity I went to a few of the other sites that I assume were acquired in a similar way by that scout network thing, they were a bunch of graveyards. No idea of their population before being acquired or anything, though.

And that Frank guy started a mini pit thread thing in their chat area where you could insult him, then be banned . Of course, it ended up being populated by his lickspittles telling him how great he is, last I looked.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Site sucks now.
View Quote

Dude, I tried to like it, but it just sucks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#17]
AR15.com WILL inherit ALL of SH and Precision Shooting Magazine.....if they want it  It's there for the taking................ just how big do you want to be?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Wasn't much KAC love over there, I walked away.

WAS a good site for reloading, glass. Not too many Fudds.

Fellas, it's been good to know you.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I remember years ago running across snipershide. It was after I had gone to sniper school. I read and lurked a few times and never felt like I wanted any part of it. I was either training for deployments, competitions, training other teams or revising a BN TACSOP. It seemed to be a lot of people with attitudes, but without the experience. It really turned me off. This is the only forum that I've come to and never left. I just didn't have the time or patience to deal with that "mob mentality" as someone else put it.
View Quote

I had the total opposite reaction to SH vs/compared/experienced ARFCOM.

It was easy to spot the osso buco contributors and mob mentality never truly came in.  I will not deny that a click seemed to be forming after 2000.

And that was after being in DEC76-APR86, having taught at Stone Bay '85-'86, Frank walking on as a student Sep86, being a member here in the '98 or '99, ...

Mob mentality at SH compared to ARFCOM?  

And this is after vehemently arguing with Frank and John McQuay {and the only kewl aid SH mob mentality that I ever ran into}, with God da-da-damn Math & Fizzaks on my side,
on the difficulty of shooting a gasser vs. a bolt stick.

BTW, I hate the format at this time.

BTW II, there wasn't a God da-da-damn site even close to what Frank developed for precision shooters, acolytes or virgins.

BTW III, I hate the format at this time.  

BTW IV, what where you doing in '79?... '83?

BTW V, I still shoot for pink slips.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#20]
SH was the only forum I frequented other than ARF. I went there to LEARN. After the change and ARF expanding the PR forum, It is just here now.  Frank spent a lot of my money (euro optic and mile highand I thank him. I lament the loss of info there, and welcome the potential here.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like a scam.  I'm pretty sure ar15.com is the whole internet.  Never heard of these other ********.com places.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It was easy to spot the osso buco contributors and mob mentality never truly came in.  I will not deny that a click seemed to be forming after 2000.

And that was after being in DEC76-APR86, having taught at Stone Bay '85-'86, Frank walking on as a student Sep86, being a member here in the '98 or '99, ...

And this is after vehemently arguing with Frank and John McQuay {and the only kewl aid SH mob mentality that I ever ran into}, with God da-da-damn Math & Fizzaks on my side,

BTW II, there wasn't a God da-da-damn site even close to what Frank developed for precision shooters, acolytes or virgins.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember years ago running across snipershide. It was after I had gone to sniper school. I read and lurked a few times and never felt like I wanted any part of it. I was either training for deployments, competitions, training other teams or revising a BN TACSOP. It seemed to be a lot of people with attitudes, but without the experience. It really turned me off. This is the only forum that I've come to and never left. I just didn't have the time or patience to deal with that "mob mentality" as someone else put it.

I feel the same way and find it odd that people are saying the things they're saying.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#23]
New site does suck, but I really liked the old forum and the people.  They policed their own over there...unlike ARF.  I know ARF is the largest firearm forum, but there are way too many who have no idea of what they are typing.

Before, I personally liked SH better than ARF overall.  Now, I would say ARF is my home.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Arf has a precision rifles section now, no need for the hide.
View Quote

Pfft. We've had one for many years
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I read this as Snipershide Challenge.

I imagened something cool like, who can spot the sniper. Who can make the best ghillie suit. Who can shoot the smallest group from 1,000 yards.

Instead I find out you have to fucking pay to play, screw that I'll just go watch more TiborasaurusRex.
View Quote

Yup.  Rex is very good.  I much prefer his personality and style of delivery to Frank's.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
New site does suck, but I really liked the old forum and the people.  They policed their own over there...unlike ARF.  I know ARF is the largest firearm forum, but there are way too many who have no idea of what they are typing.

Before, I personally liked SH better than ARF overall.  Now, I would say ARF is my home.
View Quote

Maybe in GD, but you'll get your peepee slapped for talking reckless in the tech forums.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:13:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Snipershide????

Never heard of her.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#28]
It's a shame because the Sniperhide forum was really the absolute best reloading and precision rifle forum on the internet.

The reloading forums here are a wall of "What powder do I use for 223" and "Is this press good", and the ever fantastic "are these loads safe" threads.

There are other forums that excel in a particular niche... Brian Enos' forums are great for pistols, for instance, Castboolits can't be beat for cast, but Sniper's Hide was one of the few forums where it was just so content rich that I very rarely felt the need to post... it's not that you didn't have no-nothings spouting shit, but they were the minority.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:26:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Apparently you've never visited Sig Forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Posted By Market_Garden

Frank is seriously the most easily butthurt forum admin I've ever come across on the internet. He'll bitch and cry and insult people about the WTS forum thing but I'd be surprised if even he were dumb enough to try and make it subscription based. It would certainly be the final nail in SH's coffin.

Apparently you've never visited Sig Forum.
No shit , and about the only advice you'll ever get is "send it back to SIG"

M1911.org used to be bad too , but have not been there for years
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top