Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s awful. RIP.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can anyone familiar with skydiving explain this to me?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The skydiving facility said in a statement via Facebook that "The skydiver released a quickly rotating main parachute at a low altitude without the time/altitude required for the reserve parachute to inflate."

She was inverted
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#3]

How come she's not speaking Canadian?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Aviation isn’t for the stupid, weak or casual participant.

It demands a significant investment of time, study and balls.

And will kill you faster than a new rapper if there’s any inattention or neglect.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It isn't the best reporting ever, but I'm guessing her main got tangled and was spinning her, and she deployed her reserve but not with enough altitude to inflate it before she impacted terrain.
View Quote

I watched a pro do an intentional cutaway too low at Lakehurst in the mid 80s. His reserve barely moved before he hit. Ended the same.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Aside from looking hot and making money, what did she do meaningful with her life?
View Quote

Thats a strange thing to ask.  Are you insinuating that if youre 21 and havent devoted your life to one of GD’s approved of activities, that your early demise isnt a tragedy?  

GD is a retarded place at all times.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Wonder what she knew about Biden Jr.?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you.
She had the rest of her life to think about it...

I'll see myself out..
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, now, you'll be coming out here, and you'll be doing a stable fall facedown, frog modified. Now, out here comes the static line, 'cause it goes, like, from this to here, see? And as the pilot chute'll open, it'll pull the bridle out, and then the main canopy'll be open, see, because they're all connected. And you'll be down here, and you'll be looking up here for the W.D.I. indicator and you're also gonna check for Mae West and if that's not there, then you need to check here for 4 panels and a hole. Now, when you come down, you're gonna find the "P," and you're gonna land over here, and you're gonna get in this position. Except, you don't wanna do that because that means you're in trouble. So what you wanna do is you wanna get right here, and then you're gonna come around here, and you're gonna fold up, and you're gonna do a toggle and jettison, and always watch the horizon, Ok?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#10]
My canopy always opened between 2-3... Glad I never got to four
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#11]
HANO - High Altitude No Open. Screamed In.

How she did not have a AAD on the rig is beyond me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Hate to sound cruel, but at least that mouth isn't yammering away like this anymore.

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

The parachute is connected to the harness by several lines. One of them ended up over the canopy as it opened, which then inflated asymmetrically and therefore started spinning. It is a somewhat rare malfunction. She then should have pulled a handle to get rid of it to open her second reserve parachute. She failed to do so and waited too long until she was extremely low and the second parachute had no time to inflate anymore. Basically her fault for not performing emergency procedures in time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Reserve should have activated via the AAD.
View Quote

No. AAD fires when you are falling fast, i.e. in freefall. Her first canopy slowed her descent enough that it did not fire. Even if it did, it would probably not have saved her as it would just entangle with the first canopy due to the spin. Also, she did a military style static line jump when the first canopy opens as soon as she is out the door, so there was not much freefall to begin with. She should have cut away the main canopy while she was still high enough to do so. She probably froze due to lack of experience and didn't do what she was supposed to do until it was too late. Ironically, if she did nothing and just spun into the ground, she might have survived with some broken bones.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never ridden a parachute, so I'm not familiar.

When you say "cut away," do you mean pull some sort of OH-SHIT-EJECTO-HANDLE that separates you from fucked-up-parachute #1 in one fell swoop?

How the hell does somebody get cleared for solo jumping, and not know about the OH-SHIT-EJECTO-HANDLE?
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When you say "cut away," do you mean pull some sort of OH-SHIT-EJECTO-HANDLE that separates you from fucked-up-parachute #1 in one fell swoop?

How the hell does somebody get cleared for solo jumping, and not know about the OH-SHIT-EJECTO-HANDLE?
View Quote

Yes, you have a cutaway and reserve handles on a sport rig like that. Sounds like she found the cutaway handle, just a bit too late. On a student rig like what she would have had, the cutaway will also deploy the reserve automatically.

All I can figure is her main wasn't messed up bad enough to fire the AAD. Normally a student rig would have an AAD that would fire at a pretty slow speed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Hillary?
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#18]
She will not be influencing anyone, nor selling boobie shots for money. Sounds like the impact to the human gene pool is neutral at best.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
She will not be influencing anyone, nor selling boobie shots for money. Sounds like the impact to the human gene pool is neutral at best.
View Quote

Someones daughter died young and tragically and left a family devasted for the rest of their lives and you only can be snarky. Pitiful
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Someones daughter died young and tragically and left a family devasted for the rest of their lives and you only can be snarky. Pitiful
View Quote

No doubt, the edginess that GD seems to love is actually very sick and demented, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. You pull a handle that releases the main parachute. Then you pull a second handle to open the reserve, but that part is often done automatically by a wired connection called the RSL. This was her first solo jump AFAIK. It is the instructors' job to drill into students what to do when something goes wrong. Of course, you don't really know how someone will react when they are put in that position until they actually do it. So yeah, this was not supposed to happen and was easily avoidable if she just followed her training. She did not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

GD really exemplifies the fall of humanity. It fails to recognize the sheer gravity and huge impact events likes this can have in leaving a giant hole in people’s lives. It’s not something you bounce back from.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, you have a cutaway and reserve handles on a sport rig like that. Sounds like she found the cutaway handle, just a bit too late. On a student rig like what she would have had, the cutaway will also deploy the reserve automatically.

All I can figure is her main wasn't messed up bad enough to fire the AAD. Normally a student rig would have an AAD that would fire at a pretty slow speed.
View Quote

The AAD firing would do no good as long as she still has a malfunctioning main. Think about it. Her spinning under the main would just mean that the main parachute and the reserve get twisted up and collapse, a worse scenario than just spinning into the ground under a single partially inflated parachute. She had to get rid of the main parachute first but failed to do so. She rode that malfunction for over a minute. No reason why she could not have pulled the handle earlier.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#24]
If she landed on her Botox lips, she'd be alive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The AAD firing would do no good as long as she still has a malfunctioning main. Think about it. Her spinning under the main would just mean that the main parachute and the reserve get twisted up and collapse, a worse scenario than just spinning into the ground under a single partially inflated parachute. She had to get rid of the main parachute first but failed to do so. She rode that malfunction for over a minute. No reason why she could not have pulled the handle earlier.
View Quote

Not necessarily. I’ve seen a few 2-outs landed. That’s a shitty place to be though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#26]
In B4

"I would of hit it like a sky diver hits the ground jumping from an airplane with parachute failure."

I'm positive somebody would say that
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Never heard of her, guess she made more of an impact skydiving than in social media.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Never heard of her, guess she made more of an impact skydiving than in social media.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not necessarily. I've seen a few 2-outs landed. That's a shitty place to be though.
View Quote
She had a spinning malfunction. 2 outs would only be landable if she flew mostly straight under her main.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#30]
This was her first solo skydive.   What type and number of jumps preceded this one?
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Aside from looking hot and making money, what did she do meaningful with her life?
View Quote

Most people here are only good for one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bet there’s video.  No way a hot TikTok influencer isn’t going to GoPro her first solo jump.
View Quote

I'm sure the videographer pulled at the correct time and she flew away from him.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not necessarily. I’ve seen a few 2-outs landed. That’s a shitty place to be though.
View Quote

I landed with a Mae West 28 foot LL main and 24 foot reserve hand deployed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Still beats dieing at the old folks home staring at ugly wallpaper.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

She pulled her main too low to safely cut away.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm sure the videographer pulled at the correct time and she flew away from him.  

View Quote

Or she pulled first, had the malfunction and the video guy opened after tracking away a few seconds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
She had a spinning malfunction. 2 outs would only be landable if she flew mostly straight under her main.
View Quote

I probably should have said survived not landed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
She pulled her main too low to safely cut away.
View Quote

Maybe not.  She cutaway the malfunctioned main too low to have the reserve open completely.  At least that is what was reported.  Truth is unknown.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I landed with a Mae West 28 foot LL main and 24 foot reserve hand deployed.
View Quote

That’s about the only thing rounds are good at.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Kind of depends…what if they did their skydiving but unlike Ms. Paparazzi, they survived to grow old?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
She died doing what she loved. That is the last hit she’ll ever get.

Still beats dieing at the old folks home staring at ugly wallpaper.

Kind of depends…what if they did their skydiving but unlike Ms. Paparazzi, they survived to grow old?

What if they have been bedridden and shitting themselves in their Depends while being forced to watch Matlock re-runs for the last 10 years?
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I would guess she waited too long for the switch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It isn't the best reporting ever, but I'm guessing her main got tangled and was spinning her, and she deployed her reserve but not with enough altitude to inflate it before she impacted terrain.

I would guess she waited too long for the switch.

Student (not CPL stg1)at the basic airborne course fort Benning Georgia one hot June afternoon-
“How long do you have to open your reserve chute?”
Sergeant Black hat” the rest of your life…..”
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I've never done freefall, and have never had to deal with a malfunction, so I have no idea if I'd have done any better.  And, I sure as fuck don't bounce like I used to.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Proof - Original Fandango Skydiving Scene Part 3 of 3
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I sure as fuck don't bounce like I used to.
View Quote

Neither did she.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Everyone who says this has clearly never been near the planes at a DZ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are smarter things you can do than jump out of perfectly good airplane.

Everyone who says this has clearly never been near the planes at a DZ.

I've worked on a jump plane, fueled another one, and probably been around a few others over the years.

Can't remember anything on them that scared me as bad as a few planes that spent decades in the Caribbean and then returned to the US.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Neither did she.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sure as fuck don't bounce like I used to.

Neither did she.

[Reluctant fist bump.]

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Mae West malfunction ?

Should have rode it out if too low.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

She made quite an impact recently......
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Poor girl...rest in peace.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top