Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ther is nothing quite as gratifying as taking that $hitbox and eating a $100K car with it...
View Quote
Bingo.  Exactly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
AMEN, OP.

It just doesn't make any sense. Why spend $20k on putting a V8 in a Miata, when you can buy the V8 in a car IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE IN for the same $$$. Check the prices on C6 Z06s these days... you might realize your dream car isn't that far out of reach.

It's understandable that people want fast, gorgeous cars, but often don't have the money for them. But it ISN'T understandable when you actually DO have the money for said fast, gorgeous car, that you'd decide to blow the SAME amount of money on creating a freak of nature because you have sentimental feelings toward the piece of junk you had to compromise for when you didn't have any money. Cars are disposable commodities. Think of them as paper plates--not your grandmother's good china.

Short story. My first car was a 1999 Eclipse RS. I spent way too many hours to count planning and making lists of every single part I was going to upgrade in that car. It would have been Fast and Furious ready by the time I was done, with maybe 300hp.

Then I got a 350z because I realized it had more potential than a stock Eclipse. I owned the Z for ten years and again spent countless hours planning to supercharge it, add a body kit, etc. etc.

Four years ago I bought a C6 Corvette when I realized buying the used Vette was going to cost the same as upgrading the Z to the point where it would have the same performance as the Vette stock.

I love my Vette. Now I have a real car that is actually worth maxing out its performance.

Until I have more money, and realize that buying the next ______ is going to cost the same as maxing out the performance on the Vette to the stock level of the new car.

SOME DAY I will actually soup up a car I own. But I promise it won't be a Fiero or a Miata.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
AMEN, OP.

It just doesn't make any sense. Why spend $20k on putting a V8 in a Miata, when you can buy the V8 in a car IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE IN for the same $$$. Check the prices on C6 Z06s these days... you might realize your dream car isn't that far out of reach.

It's understandable that people want fast, gorgeous cars, but often don't have the money for them. But it ISN'T understandable when you actually DO have the money for said fast, gorgeous car, that you'd decide to blow the SAME amount of money on creating a freak of nature because you have sentimental feelings toward the piece of junk you had to compromise for when you didn't have any money. Cars are disposable commodities. Think of them as paper plates--not your grandmother's good china.

Short story. My first car was a 1999 Eclipse RS. I spent way too many hours to count planning and making lists of every single part I was going to upgrade in that car. It would have been Fast and Furious ready by the time I was done, with maybe 300hp.

Then I got a 350z because I realized it had more potential than a stock Eclipse. I owned the Z for ten years and again spent countless hours planning to supercharge it, add a body kit, etc. etc.

Four years ago I bought a C6 Corvette when I realized buying the used Vette was going to cost the same as upgrading the Z to the point where it would have the same performance as the Vette stock.

I love my Vette. Now I have a real car that is actually worth maxing out its performance.

Until I have more money, and realize that buying the next ______ is going to cost the same as maxing out the performance on the Vette to the stock level of the new car.

SOME DAY I will actually soup up a car I own. But I promise it won't be a Fiero or a Miata.
View Quote

If one can afford it, whimsy is far better than value.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I kinda want to build one like this. I have a perfectly serviceable 93 LS400 just sitting here (wifes old car). Paint is shot, interior is shot but it runs like a top.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107869/Lifted-Lexus-LS400-TRD_jpg-1361379.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I kinda want to build one like this. I have a perfectly serviceable 93 LS400 just sitting here (wifes old car). Paint is shot, interior is shot but it runs like a top.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107869/Lifted-Lexus-LS400-TRD_jpg-1361379.JPG

Well, seeing as how you aren’t doing anything these days, you might as well kick off the build thread tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did OP post his POS ride pic yet?
View Quote

No. But he’s told us in the past that he drives a Grand Cherokee.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Show us on the doll where the "shitbox" smoked your ass.

View Quote

OP drives a cherokee...
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

lol

I honestly don’t even comprehend people who get their egos wrapped up in what they drive, or what others drive.    Car threads on the internet are always weird to me, because of how seriously people take them.

Drive what you like.  If you want to build something cool and awesome in your garage, then build something cool and awesome in your garage and drive it and have fun.    I’m not sure I understand why anyone would care if that car could go faster than a completely different factory-built car.   I totally see the fun of building something unique and cool - I totally do not see the point of THEN trying to compare it to something factory built.  

I guess some people have a need to try to prove something (to themselves) and to others, and receive some kind of validation.  But I honestly don’t get it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just haven't run up against the right " shitbox" yet. I have ridden in 900 + HP Honda Civics and VWs when they have walked on all kinds of expensive euro trash........ Porsches included.

Also some 1200 HP street legal American muscle cars too.  I don't know many factory purchased cars that can run in the 7s and 8s.

Hats off to the shitbox builders.

ETA: Bring your porsche to this guys house.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DDswtLUhdM
And you are aware that "eurotrash" cars that are built for performance can be tuned to 13 or 1400 HP too, right?  And that POS Honda is still a POS

LOL! Yeah, and your factory built and bought euro trash uber car will still get smoked by some dude who built his car in his garage. Funny, you don't see many "tuned" eurotrash cars being run in any kind of competitions.

They do, just the courses have a lot of turns and the drivers use a different car than their daily.

Also, any grown up with a $100k plus car who can be goaded into a stoplight race with “shitbox” needs a better therapist.

Yeah um the track!  That's what the streets of America are..... just like a track.  Euro trash driver says " shit, damn it..... if we were on a track I would smoke your ass!! "  as the shitbox driver gives him the finger while pulling away from him.

lol

I honestly don’t even comprehend people who get their egos wrapped up in what they drive, or what others drive.    Car threads on the internet are always weird to me, because of how seriously people take them.

Drive what you like.  If you want to build something cool and awesome in your garage, then build something cool and awesome in your garage and drive it and have fun.    I’m not sure I understand why anyone would care if that car could go faster than a completely different factory-built car.   I totally see the fun of building something unique and cool - I totally do not see the point of THEN trying to compare it to something factory built.  

I guess some people have a need to try to prove something (to themselves) and to others, and receive some kind of validation.  But I honestly don’t get it.  

LOL!   You may have missed the OP.

No one cares if a V8 swapped and turboed Fiero can go faster in a straight line than an AMG, because it's still a fucking Fiero.

This is what started everything.

Then the term ....... " shit box".  LOL!  Having some fun here.

Although, I will say that I have seen more than a few guys get pissed off when they are smoked by that little Honda Civic  while driving their expensive uber cars.

AND, LOL..... when you say......
I honestly don’t even comprehend people who get their egos wrapped up in what they drive you may need to get out more. I mean really, how many guys stretch their incomes and drive cars they really can't afford just to impress complete strangers? A metric shit ton.... that's how many.

You don't? Like I said, get out more. Ever see people ( especially women ) drive an expensive car they can't possibly appreciate? Who can't begin to appreciate the brakes, handling, engine performance, etc.
Yeah, they are proving they are special and can afford ( presumedly) that car because they damn sure can't appreciate the performance. It's about the name and the money spent for again complete strangers to gawk at.

You know, those that drive something like a Porsche when a Camry has all he performance they need and can use. Or, maybe move up to a loaded Avalon which is a pretty nice ride.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No. But he’s told us in the past that he drives a Grand Cherokee.
View Quote

Souped up shitposters are just that,shitposters.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
AMEN, OP.

View Quote
Err...  I don't but some would consider a C6 a "shit box".  It's all retaliative.

It's also a lot about preference.  When I bought my C4, I had the choice between a really nice example of a C4 or a lessor condition C5, for about the same price.  In terms of performance and build quality, the C5 is a better car.  It's faster around a track, it has less known problems, it's more refined etc etc. No question, hands down, the C5 is a technically better car than the C4.

I don't like the C5 though, I like C4s, despite their short comings in comparison.  They just "speak" to me and have personality, where the C5s are bland and boring.  That is just my option and others might completely disagree but, whatever.  It wasn't their money.

If someone wants to drop their money into a Fiero or Miata instead of something that is technically better, I don't give a shit.  It wasn't my money.  If it makes them happy, awesome.

The thing to keep in mind is modesty.  The second you start talking shit about why your car is superior, someone else is going to come along and put yours to shame.

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, seeing as how you aren’t doing anything these days, you might as well kick off the build thread tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do have a plasma cutter and a fresh pack of sawzall blades.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

I owned an 85 GLH-T and an 87 GLHS. For the era, they were fast and some very affordable factory turbo cars. We were adding lots of boost in the early 90's. I had mine up to 18psi which was about useless on street tires. And I was killing 5 speed transmissions. I consider mine shit boxes.

A guy named Donavan was running a highly modified Dodge minivan that would embarrass all kinds of cars at the 1/4 strip.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Ill just leave this here.
Exotic street race interrupted by surprise sleeper car
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think you missed what I am saying.  At no point am I saying that I am not AWARE of people like that.  I am saying that I personally don't understand why people get so wrapped up over meaningless bullshit like this, and desperately feel like they have something to "prove"

I understand exactly what the OP is saying, and I made fun of him for it.

I don't understand why people give a shit if their car is faster than someone else's car, and what they think they are "proving" if they race them on a street.  Just enjoy your fucking car, and stop worrying so much about what other people are driving, or thinking about you.

I drive a really expensive and really fast car because I think it is fun.  That's it.  I don't give a fuck if someone else can go .2 second faster in some retarded drag race or whatever - whether it's in their factory Lambo or in their hilarious fun modified Miata with a V10 and nitrous, or their Tesla or whatever.   And no, I don't want to race ... because I am not a fucking teenager who just watched a Fast & Furious movie, and thinks that anyone will be impressedor care.  
View Quote

That's because you aren't a racer.  You probably don't go around talking shit.  It is the shit talkers and the people who look down their noses at others cars because they aren't nice enough.  Those are the people that racers love to drag.  Especially if their car is faster and after all the shit talking they get treed and beat.  Spank them get the hole shot win and then you get to tell them you out drove them and they know you could drive their own car faster than them.  Even better is when they are dumb enough to put their money where their mouth is.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

SOME DAY I will actually soup up a car I own.
View Quote

Yeah, I bet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I pulled up to this one at the light this morning. Given the size of that wing it must make over 1000 hp, good thing there were minimal stickers on it or it likely wouldn’t be streetable.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/348465/EB26BDE8-57AC-40A3-9D37-D802330DC5B0_jpe-1359854.JPG
View Quote

That wing is gayer than a dude sucking dick in a truck stop bathroom.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I owned an 85 GLH-T and an 87 GLHS. For the era, they were fast and some very affordable factory turbo cars. We were adding lots of boost in the early 90's. I had mine up to 18psi which was about useless on street tires. And I was killing 5 speed transmissions. I consider mine shit boxes.

A guy named Donavan was running a highly modified Dodge minivan that would embarrass all kinds of cars at the 1/4 strip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Gary is a good guy. Video for those who haven't seen Relentless before.

Reliant vs Supra at dragstrip, view 2

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#19]
My LS powered POS is faster than your leased (rental) car you don’t own.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top