BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 497
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:

And the Superheavy/Starship stack survived,and continued to function, after at least a half-dozen things happened to it that would have very likely caused many, if not all previous space launch rockets to RUD almost instantly.
View Quote

Very important point.  That thing was continuing to accelerate even down several engines and survived max Q with no apparent difficulties.  Yes, the separation failed, and they missed an opportunity to collect data from the rest of their planned flight profile, but it is a short-sighted stretch to call this evolution a failure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DarkGray:

The :29 screenshot looks like those flames (and the subsequent piece of debris) may be from the bottom of the hydraulic power unit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fox2008:
Watching the live stream again and took some screenshots.

When SpaceX put the graphics on the screen at 20s it showed 3 engines not running.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_20s_JPG-2789516.jpg

At 29s you can see what looks like flames coming out of the bottom edge of the booster
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_29s_JPG-2789526.jpg

Shortly after you can see debris fly from the bottom of the booster (hard to capture on a screenshot but here is one piece)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_29-2s_JPG-2789524.jpg

At 40s the 4th engine stops
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_40s_JPG-2789523.jpg

At 62s the 5th engine stops
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_62s_JPG-2789522.jpg

At 102s the 6th engine stops
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_102s_JPG-2789521.jpg

At 111s the 6th engine shows back online, could be a sensor issue???
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_111s_JPG-2789532.jpg

The :29 screenshot looks like those flames (and the subsequent piece of debris) may be from the bottom of the hydraulic power unit.

No idea....if you go to 45:33 in the video you can see when it happens there is a significant amount of debris generated though.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

Very important point.  That thing was continuing to accelerate even down several engines and survived max Q with no apparent difficulties.  Yes, the separation failed, and they missed an opportunity to collect data from the rest of their planned flight profile, but it is a short-sighted stretch to call this evolution a failure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:

And the Superheavy/Starship stack survived,and continued to function, after at least a half-dozen things happened to it that would have very likely caused many, if not all previous space launch rockets to RUD almost instantly.

Yep. IIRC, engine failures are what caused the sovient N1 to RUD. Engines failed and shut down. The resulting pressure spike in the fuel feed caused the RUD. Basically, the sudden flow stop works like a hydraulic hammer on the fuel system. All in all, Super Heavy seems to be one tough rocket. Pretty incredible that it survived to stage separation. Even more amazing it survived all that twirling around and around at separation failure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]

That is hilarious.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I really hope that the administration doesn't use this as a reason to curtail further attempts of starship launches. I could see them being bitches and raising hell about flying ground debris or making up shit about rocket debris in orbit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
I really hope that the administration doesn't use this as a reason to curtail further attempts of starship launches. I could see them being bitches and raising hell about flying ground debris or making up shit about rocket debris in orbit.
View Quote

I wouldn't worry about the flight termination. It didn't make orbit and that contingency was planned for. No biggie. The debris at ground level may be more than was expected though. That was wild.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
So when's the next SS Heavy launch try?
View Quote

Elon says a few months, which probably means next year sometime.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

As long as they can detect an engine failure in progress and shut it down before it blows up and takes out other stuff, having 33 engines is a huge reliability advantage because they can lose a few of them and still complete the mission and land safely.  If they only had five engines, losing just one would result in the loss of the vehicle.

If the flip to separate maneuver was intentional, I think what went wrong is that the first stage engines didn't shut down to allow separation. Debris from the launch pad and/or shrapnel from an engine explosion might have damaged some of the control systems and left them unable to close valves or whatever they needed to do to shut all the first stage engines down.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:

I'd imagine the engines being produced now already have improvements that these didn't. At least they know they whole thing won't blow up or become uncontrollable if they lose a few engines.

It went out of control because they lost a few engines.
I think we will see a new booster design in the works with 5-9 much larger engines, like super-dooper Raptors or some such thing that produce as much if not more thrust than the 33 engine combination.

As long as they can detect an engine failure in progress and shut it down before it blows up and takes out other stuff, having 33 engines is a huge reliability advantage because they can lose a few of them and still complete the mission and land safely.  If they only had five engines, losing just one would result in the loss of the vehicle.

If the flip to separate maneuver was intentional, I think what went wrong is that the first stage engines didn't shut down to allow separation. Debris from the launch pad and/or shrapnel from an engine explosion might have damaged some of the control systems and left them unable to close valves or whatever they needed to do to shut all the first stage engines down.
A reasonable hypothesis. Anyone know what altitude was planned for seperation?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Elon says a few months, which probably means next year sometime.
View Quote

I'm going to go with 6 months. Mostly because of stage 0 upgrades/repairs.

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cgrant26:

No, they have a water deluge system. Just looks like they might need to make it bigger and provide some more deflection for all the thrust.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cgrant26:
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Of course it is.  33 engines and no diversion of the exhaust or water deluge system to attenuate the forces.

No, they have a water deluge system. Just looks like they might need to make it bigger and provide some more deflection for all the thrust.
I have a design for the thrust deflector:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#15]
First SpaceX Starship Launch (with explosion)

Looking at this it seems like the rocket is drifting sideways a bit after rising above the dust cloud.  Then we see a few separate events in flight where the exhaust flashes yellow.

And my favorite bit where someone yells out "Is it doing a Kerbal?"
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I think Jeb had a few too many beers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#19]
The tank farm is worse for wear. Brutal!!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#21]
flashback

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Has anyone checked.....did Elon draw a dick?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31659/7B053882-B3C9-4C7B-8CFC-383B760DCE02_jpe-2789593.JPG
View Quote

Holy shit
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#24]
NASA Space Flights van was hammered too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#25]
One of the most awesome things I have seen in my life
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
flashback

View Quote

Narrator: It was a mistake.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Blue_Devil_JD:

View All Quotes
flashback

I remember all the pipes and equipment showing up....I'd assume it will be installed before the next launch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#28]

No idea....if you go to 45:33 in the video you can see when it happens there is a significant amount of debris generated though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wcilQ58hI
View All Quotes
Watching the live stream again and took some screenshots.

When SpaceX put the graphics on the screen at 20s it showed 3 engines not running.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_20s_JPG-2789516.jpg

At 29s you can see what looks like flames coming out of the bottom edge of the booster
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_29s_JPG-2789526.jpg

Shortly after you can see debris fly from the bottom of the booster (hard to capture on a screenshot but here is one piece)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_29-2s_JPG-2789524.jpg

At 40s the 4th engine stops
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_40s_JPG-2789523.jpg

At 62s the 5th engine stops
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_62s_JPG-2789522.jpg

At 102s the 6th engine stops
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_102s_JPG-2789521.jpg

At 111s the 6th engine shows back online, could be a sensor issue???
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/Starship_111s_JPG-2789532.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wcilQ58hI
Yeah something definitely went bang at 45:33

At about 47:34 in the video you can see the speed switch from steadily increasing to decreasing. I imagine that's about when stage sep was supposed to happen.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Narrator Morgan Freeman: It was a mistake.
View All Quotes
flashback

Narrator Morgan Freeman: It was a mistake.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalExile] [#31]
nvm
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#33]
drone footage
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
nvm
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I wonder how many seismographs picked that launch up.

"Find cover! It's the Big One letting loose!  Never mind, just the Starship launch..."
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
He just wanted to do a barrel roll.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#38]
If this has not been posted it is a great video

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RiverSwine45] [#41]

Airplane - All Over The Place
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#42]
The latest Starlink launch has MECO around 2 min, 29 seconds about 63 kilometers altitude and a speed of roughly 7905 km/hour.

I did not catch the exact moment when MECO should have occurred for this launch but it may have been around 30 km altitude and 2140 km/hour.  

That seems to be a huge energy delta between the two.  Six engines out certainly played a role.  Does anyone know what altitude and speed should have been if everything worked as planned?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#43]
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31659/7B053882-B3C9-4C7B-8CFC-383B760DCE02_jpe-2789593.JPG
View Quote
I think those 2 tanks are empty but there's a LOX leak on the other side.
ETA I think 1 is empty and 1 may have been converted into a water tank.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#44]
What Estes rocket that goes back to the 1960s does the initial liftoff period remind you of...if you ever launched Estes rockets.

That model is still available.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
What Estes rocket that goes back to the 1960s does the initial liftoff period remind you of...if you ever launched Estes rockets.

That model is still available.
View Quote

The multiple backflip maneuver reminds me of all of the ones I built that deviated from the instructions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#46]

LOL. Not real funny but it's not far off.

I contend that launch pad debris is what condemned the launch, rendering 3 engines inop at the beginning and damaging several others to the point of cascading failures, including the hydraulic pumps that provide the steering.
The rocket was doomed as soon as the hold down clamps were released.

Get there itis is a thing and it's universal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#47]

LOL. Not real funny but it's not far off.

I contend that launch pad debris is what condemned the launch, rendering 3 engines inop at the beginning and damaging several others to the point of cascading failures, including the hydraulic pumps that provide the steering.
The rocket was doomed as soon as the hold down clamps were released.

Get there itis is a thing and it's universal.
View Quote

You may have the crux of the failures identified yet not having a flame diverter and water deluge system has to go back a year or more.  See Musk tweet about it a page or so back.

I am not a launch structures engineer but it just seemed sketchy early on.  I would like to see unbiased engineering data that a water deluge system alone will solve this issue without trenches to get the flames away from that area.  Even if I saw it personally I would reject the data and implement trenches as well.  SpaceX has done incredible things but sometimes they make bone-headed decisions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

lol

Nobody is going to be fired.  

This was an experimental vehicle on its first test flight.

They'll have the next one ready to go in six months, with improvements to the separation system and other systems.  This is how spaceX does it.  Rapid iteration.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By Shadyman:
Ok, who’s is going to get fired? Some engineers fucked up royally.

lol

Nobody is going to be fired.  

This was an experimental vehicle on its first test flight.

They'll have the next one ready to go in six months, with improvements to the separation system and other systems.  This is how spaceX does it.  Rapid iteration.

The real tragedy is, they had planned the booster to separate and make a water landing.   If the booster did not immediately sink, the commentators said the boat crew planned to shoot it with guns to make it sink
So what guns did they have for the task?   You’d think they would want something substantial- .50 cal. Maybe some Barretts?
Why can’t my employer let us shoot something?   We do send out armor samples to APG for testing, but we don’t get to do that, and that’s a quite different manner of shooting.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#49]
drone footage
View Quote

36 seconds, first major kaboom.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I wonder if a RUD on the launch mount would have caused more or less damage to stage 0
Page / 497
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top