Site Notices
Page / 497
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

:36 Seconds was definitely a raptor dieing
View Quote

I think that was the first HPU exploding.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:31:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#2]
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
NASA Space Flights van was hammered too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31659/2832D6D9-806E-41BD-8FE5-8AE823B12EF5_jpe-2789597.JPG
View Quote

they seriously underestimated the power of this thing.

if I'm google earthing this right, that van was over 400 yards away.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:
I wonder if a RUD on the launch mount would have caused more or less damage to stage 0
View Quote

NSF wouldn't have had to worry about an insurance claim for their vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

You may have the crux of the failures identified yet not having a flame diverter and water deluge system has to go back a year or more.  See Musk tweet about it a page or so back.

I am not a launch structures engineer but it just seemed sketchy early on.  I would like to see unbiased engineering data that a water deluge system alone will solve this issue without trenches to get the flames away from that area.  Even if I saw it personally I would reject the data and implement trenches as well.  SpaceX has done incredible things but sometimes they make bone-headed decisions.
View Quote

I have been an advocate of a flame trench and water deluge since they started building the OLM and that's no secret. Even got flamed for it here several times.
That's OK though, thick skin and sticking to my guns hasn't hurt me much.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31659/2832D6D9-806E-41BD-8FE5-8AE823B12EF5_jpe-2789597.JPG

I think NSF mentioned it was roughly 1100' away.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if a RUD on the launch mount would have caused more or less damage to stage 0
View Quote

I think it's safe to say detonating 3600 tons of fuel and oxidizer there would be less damaging than burning what they did at the rate they did.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

They would be setting up logistics right now to get the OLIT sections completed at KSC delivered to Boca Chica, as well as everything they could get to replace the tank farm.
Let alone the other equipment that would have been destroyed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuLWlsMagAEwoFo?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

We're getting close to gimbal lock here Houston.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

I have been an advocate of a flame trench and water deluge since they started building the OLM and that's no secret. Even got flamed for it here several times.
View Quote

Yup, I agree.
I have also always thought that not having any sort of flame mitigation was a huge mistake from the start.
I thought it was sort of evident after the short static fires that bad things would happen without something in place.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

You may have the crux of the failures identified yet not having a flame diverter and water deluge system has to go back a year or more.  See Musk tweet about it a page or so back.

I am not a launch structures engineer but it just seemed sketchy early on.  I would like to see unbiased engineering data that a water deluge system alone will solve this issue without trenches to get the flames away from that area.  Even if I saw it personally I would reject the data and implement trenches as well.  SpaceX has done incredible things but sometimes they make bone-headed decisions.

How are they going to launch a return from Mars or the Moon if ground shrapnel is a problem as the rocket will be sitting on the surface, although it will just be a Starship.  

In the Everyday Astronaut stream they had to take cover inside because they were getting covered in dust, at 5 miles away.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stillnothere] [#12]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
I really hope that the administration doesn't use this as a reason to curtail further attempts of starship launches. I could see them being bitches and raising hell about flying ground debris or making up shit about rocket debris in orbit.
View Quote

Unlikely. D politicians would love to make political hay over this but I don't see much of that happening. NASA has awarded over $3B in contracts to SpaceX that rely on Starship becoming not just operational, but man rated, as it is their chosen delivery method for putting the next people on the moon. SLS will get them there. Starship takes them down to the surface and back up to orbit after.

Not just that, but NASA, NSA, NRO, CIA, DoD, NSF, etc., are all salivating at the enormous diameter, volume and payload the booster can deliver to orbit. Same goes for commercial launch customers that have politicians in their hip pocket.

No, entrenched bureaucrats who wield the real levers of power and control in .gov REALLY want this to be successful.

That's my take anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJ_Dual] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#15]
From ChatGPT:

Starship soared high into the sky,
A shiny steel rocket, sleek and spry.
Its engines roared with a fiery might,
As it pierced the heavens, a dazzling sight.

The countdown ticked, the tension rose,
But Starship knew just where to go.
Through clouds and skies it cut a path,
A mission of science, with no aftermath.

But as it reached the pinnacle of space,
Disaster struck, a fiery chase.
Starship burst into a million parts,
And scattered across the ground, broken hearts.

But even in its catastrophic fall,
Starship gave us lessons, new knowledge tall.
For though it failed, it tried its best,
And inspired us all, to reach for the crest.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe Sea Dragon water launches weren't such a dumb idea for a huge rocket.

Doesn't help the Mars launch piece though...

Regardless - awesome event today.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
I think those 2 tanks are empty but there's a LOX leak on the other side.
ETA I think 1 is empty and 1 may have been converted into a water tank.

View Quote

Both water tanks.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Given the damage to the launchpad and other support facilities - how far is Boca Chica still ahead of the Florida launch site?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#19]

LOL. Not real funny but it's not far off.

I contend that launch pad debris is what condemned the launch, rendering 3 engines inop at the beginning and damaging several others to the point of cascading failures, including the hydraulic pumps that provide the steering.
The rocket was doomed as soon as the hold down clamps were released.

Get there itis is a thing and it's universal.
View Quote
I think you have it on the cause. I share your hypothesis on the cascading failures. Though it's possible some of the engines just failed, as they are early production R2's and are so old they no longer are compatible with any of the current vehicles. I'm not sure if they had a good sized pool of backup engines or if they just kept refurbing them.
I'm really surprised it survived so long. It may actually be overbuilt.

In the long run I think confirming the Stage 0 flaws now will turn out to be worth any setback. And now Starship teams have a lot of real data to work with while Stage 0 gets revamped.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By couchlord:

How are they going to launch a return from Mars or the Moon if ground shrapnel is a problem as the rocket will be sitting on the surface, although it will just be a Starship.  

In the Everyday Astronaut stream they had to take cover inside because they were getting covered in dust, at 5 miles away.  

View Quote

This is a great question. The Apollo LM's detached the upper section and the lower half acted as a shield as the motor burned to send them back to orbit.

Starship engines will be exposed to moon dust, rocks, etc during both landing and launch. I'm sure we are not first to think of this, so I'm curious as to SpaceX and NASA's Engineers and scientists have been anning on for this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Only the ship would be taking off from Mars or the moon, and with lower gravity and little or no atmosphere, it won't need that much thrust to get off the surface, but at the same time those conditions will cause debris to that is kicked up to fly a very long distance. They might need terrain or a berm between the landing pad and the habitats on Mars. On the moon, debris might even make a full orbit and hit surface structures from the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Correct on all counts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

Both water tanks.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
I think those 2 tanks are empty but there's a LOX leak on the other side.
ETA I think 1 is empty and 1 may have been converted into a water tank.

Both water tanks.

I think that's outdated. Last I read they drained Water Tank 1 and never refilled it due to some issue with it's construction.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Depends on if you count ceasing to exist as damage.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Utahshooting] [#25]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

Only the ship would be taking off from Mars or the moon, and with lower gravity and little or no atmosphere, it won't need that much thrust to get off the surface, but at the same time those conditions will cause debris to that is kicked up to fly a very long distance. They might need terrain or a berm between the landing pad and the habitats on Mars. On the moon, debris might even make a full orbit and hit surface structures from the opposite direction.
View Quote

Correct. More I think about it, the more I'm concerned about the initial soft landing on the moon. It will come down pretty gingerly with thrusters firing until it is settled. All that will kick up a lot of debris potentially damaging the engines or other components.

Obvious and cool ass Buck Rogers solution would be to pre-stage a robotic Stage 0 on moons surface. It would land first, level itself, then unfold blast shield petals similar to an unfolding solar panel. Starship then lands and blasts off from this safe LZ.

If they go this route, I want full credit for crazy idea.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:

This is a great question. The Apollo LM's detached the upper section and the lower half acted as a shield as the motor burned to send them back to orbit.

Starship engines will be exposed to moon dust, rocks, etc during both landing and launch. I'm sure we are not first to think of this, so I'm curious as to SpaceX and NASA's Engineers and scientists have been anning on for this.
View All Quotes

The SpaceX renders showed the ship landing on the moon using Draco style thrusters placed high up on the sides of the ship.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Combat_Leader:

The SpaceX renders showed the ship landing on the moon using Draco style thrusters placed high up on the sides of the ship.
View Quote

Does this mean I don't get to see my Buck Rogers, robotic Stage 0 hair brained idea?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Correct on all counts.
View All Quotes

Correct on all counts.
Yes yes, I think we can now all agree that reinforced concrete is not a SpaceX resistant material.  I will be interested to see which way they will go after this.

I can not think of a good way to integrate a flame trench with the existing launch mount. The water table is too high and they will probably need a pretty deep pool to obsorb the thrust. Repairing and retrofitting the launch mount would probably cost more than a complete redesign.  The crane tower can be reused but it will have to be taller.

Is an oilrig style launch platform the better option? The hight can be adjusted with buoyancy and you get a free source of coolant for your exhaust.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Correct. More I think about it, the more I'm concerned about the initial soft landing on the moon. It will come down pretty gingerly with thrusters firing until it is settled. All that will kick up a lot of debris potentially damaging the engines or other components.

Obvious and cool ass Buck Rogers solution would be to pre-stage a robotic Stage 0 on moons surface. It would land first, level itself, then unfold blast shield petals similar to an unfolding solar panel. Starship then lands and blasts off from this safe LZ.

View Quote
How about a lunar orbital death ray that uses lasers to cinter the regolith into a landing pad like an giant metal powder laser printer?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:37:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: double_trouble_2003] [#30]

View Quote

Live action of debris taking out the minivan

[4K] Starship Wreaks Havoc During Liftoff - 60FPS Ultrawide
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mort:
How about a lunar orbital death ray that uses lasers to cinter the regolith into a landing pad like an giant metal powder laser printer?
View Quote

Best Dr. Evil laugh!!! Bwaaahaahaa
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#32]
BEFORE:

AFTER:
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Maybe they did not understand the technical aspect of it.  Without the trenches and water deluge system, the flame power is going to be going everywhere willy nilly.   Never let rocket engine flames go willy nilly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:46:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#34]
View Quote

I'm thinking pieces of the pad caused a LOT of it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

I watched a video somewhat related to that yesterday, talking about how brutal the moon dust was on equipment.  Just the dust kicked up from their feet caused problems with the suits.

The Problem with the Next Moon Mission
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Was just going to post this
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:22:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: burnka871] [#39]
I wonder if there are individual flight termination systems for booster and ship. Maybe they didn't separate on purpose.

I'm also partial to the loss of hydraulic pressure theory.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
I wonder if there are individual flight termination systems for booster and ship. Maybe they didn't separate on purpose.

View Quote

yes, there is a separate FTS for each, and they used both today.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

View Quote
There are indeed separate systems for each.

In the video you can see the boosters system getting triggered and then a moment later Starship's system going off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Surreal pic !

Starship's last selfie, smile and wait for the flash.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By fox2008:
I watched a video somewhat related to that yesterday, talking about how brutal the moon dust was on equipment.  Just the dust kicked up from their feet caused problems with the suits.
View Quote

They engineered a solution.  They are sending a woman.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

that's insane
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

I think the noise and vibrations are going to be a huge problem going forward for SpaceX.  People won't put up with that on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Too close...
Page / 497
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top