FAA ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Element94:
FAA ?
View Quote

More than likely.

6 to 8 weeks, Elon Musk? Try 6 to 8 months!! FAA Starship update, plus the latest from ULA!
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I quit listening to that drama queen. At first he was on target more than not. Now he seems more of an irritating click baiter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
I quit listening to that drama queen. At first he was on target more than not. Now he seems more of an irritating click baiter.
View Quote

He is that and then some. However, he has been right about his FAA predictions most of the time and I have no doubt that the FAA is going to slow-walk this one.
If what he states that the FAA is just getting the final incident report now from SpaceX is true, the time frame he is giving is much more plausible than a launch happening in 2 weeks.
I'm not getting excited or holding my breath for that either.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw that this morning. Very tentative indeed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#8]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

More than likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7astrZ1HsTk
View Quote

Angry Astronaut?  That dude is seldom correct about anything.  Not as abjectly terrible as Thunderfoot....but not what I'd call a reliable source.

Angry Astronaut aside, that launch isn't happening in two weeks, though.  Musk has been quiet about launch date ranges lately.  I'd say at least a month, probably two.  I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:

Angry Astronaut?  That dude is seldom correct about anything.  Not as abjectly terrible as Thunderfoot....but not what I'd call a reliable source.

Angry Astronaut aside, that launch isn't happening in two weeks, though.  Musk has been quiet about launch date ranges lately.  I'd say at least a month, probably two.  I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, though.
View Quote

I'm going with November/December.
We are running in to peak hurricane season also, and a good portion of them wind up in the Gulf. So there is that aspect to look at as well..
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm going with November/December.
We are running in to peak hurricane season also, and a good portion of them wind up in the Gulf. So there is that aspect to look at as well..
View Quote

Yeah, a Cat-2 or bigger (or, y'know, six of them, back to back...) could definitely alter the schedule a bit...
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
With El Nino in effect, hurricanes are harder to form. Then again they said it would make for a cooler, wetter summer in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#12]
With El Nino in effect, hurricanes are harder to form. Then again they said it would make for a cooler, wetter summer in Texas.
View Quote

It's been hot AF in Florida since mid June.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

We have had consecutive weeks of 100+ weather. This is unusual. The last time I remember it happening was in the early 80s.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

ya he quit his job to be a youtuber. now he has to keep the clicks coming. need constant content and good titles.

havent listened to his shit for over a year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#18]
We have had consecutive weeks of 100+ weather. This is unusual. The last time I remember it happening was in the early 80s.
View All Quotes

In DFW, we broke records for the most days (not consecutive) >= 105* and the most consecutive days where it never got below 80*.
Brutal.

(Arizona man enters the chat)
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#19]

He is that and then some. However, he has been right about his FAA predictions most of the time and I have no doubt that the FAA is going to slow-walk this one.
If what he states that the FAA is just getting the final incident report now from SpaceX is true, the time frame he is giving is much more plausible than a launch happening in 2 weeks.
I'm not getting excited or holding my breath for that either.
View Quote

Hasn't the FAA been involved the whole time, tho?   I was under the impression that they were working together and whatever final report they got was not going to contain any information that they hadn't already seen...
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3s1lBnXUAAA8VP?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

Well that answers how they are going to integrate extra shielding to protect the top of the booster.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

Hasn't the FAA been involved the whole time, tho?   I was under the impression that they were working together and whatever final report they got was not going to contain any information that they hadn't already seen...
View Quote

I cannot speak to that but I don't think the FAA has teamed up with SpaceX to help them along. More than likely one of their investigators is in direct contact and spends time onsite to guide them through bureaucratic rules and guidelines, more like a proof reader more than anything else.

"We are from the government and are here to help" does not apply with the FAA.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Combat_Leader:

Well that answers how they are going to integrate extra shielding to protect the top of the booster.
View Quote

I bet the rings are sacrificed and replaced each flight.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:42:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#23]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

I bet the rings are sacrificed and replaced each flight.
View Quote

Id bet even if they should be elon will do everything possible to make them reusable.

It's not like the olm needing to stand up to 33 engines at full thrust. They'll use minimum possible for separation. While that is still a lot of heat and force and who knows how many engines will still be firing on the booster and how many they need to fire up on ship i think they'll manage to reuse the staging ring.

The ring does add some interesting possibilities for landing gear...
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Big one tested last night....5 till 9.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

Id bet even if they should be elon will do everything possible to make them reusable.

It's not like the olm needing to stand up to 33 engines at full thrust. They'll use minimum possible for separation. While that is still a lot of heat and force and who knows how many engines will still be firing on the booster and how many they need to fire up on ship i think they'll manage to reuse the staging ring.

The ring does add some interesting possibilities for landing gear...
View Quote

One of the huge benefits of using stainless steel...
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Is Spacex's Starship Too Ambitious Or Game-changing?
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I have faith that they can make these Starship varations. If they can get one variant flying regularly to orbit and back then I am sure they can do the rest of these.

When you look at the proposed Shuttle variants everything except what has become SLS just looked absurd and SLS certainly isn't the most practical spacecraft for most jobs. As I've said before, if only from an asthethic perspective. Starship looks right.

What really gets my attention right now though is despite the fact that Falcon 9 and Heavy offer unprecedented capabilities and Starship might render everything else practically obsolete. There is a lot of work going on right now on building more reusable rockets and expanding launch facilities at Canaveral. They aren't just leaving this all to Elon and companies.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#31]

man that looks like caulking I would do
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By notso:

man that looks like caulking I would do
View Quote
only needs to do its job once.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#34]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F31cJZ_XcAAEMbU?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F31cK_SWwAAjJmA?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

That second pic gives awesome scale.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I really can't believe how fast they went ahead with this hot staging thing. I know that moving fast is kinda their shtick but... Wow.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By NwG:
That second pic gives awesome scale.
View Quote

Yes it really does.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
I really can't believe how fast they went ahead with this hot staging thing. I know that moving fast is kinda their shtick but... Wow.
View Quote

This. They designed an entirely different separation method and installed it faster then they test a few valva on sls.

The first test incident report is meaningless.

The issues that they would have been looking at would be pad failure( entirely changed with water system and feet thick concrete)

Separation failure.( Entirely changed with hot staging.)

The flight termination failure ( redesigned and tested on one of the boosters they had sitting around)
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

This. They designed an entirely different separation method and installed it faster then they test a few valva on sls.

The first test incident report is meaningless.

The issues that they would have been looking at would be pad failure( entirely changed with water system and feet thick concrete)

Separation failure.( Entirely changed with hot staging.)

The flight termination failure ( redesigned and tested on one of the boosters they had sitting around)
View Quote

So a rubber stamp from the FAA ???
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
only needs to do its job once.
View Quote

Not with that motor.  Even the vacuum motors come home.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#40]
“IFT-2 plans to utilize "Hot Staging" to separate S25 from B9 in flight. This process includes igniting several engines on S25 while the 3 remaining engines on B9 are deep throttled. This reduces separation acceleration losses.  Render 📸@RyanHansenSpace”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

at any moment
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
View Quote
I think we have been fed news after it is no longer news to SpaceX. Elon already had plans for the deluge system before the first launch. He just let it dig the hole for them. I bet hot staging was off the drawing board before the launch too. It is easy to appear fast when you are half way to the finish line at the start of the race.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Booster Bidet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#45]
good test

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I think we have been fed news after it is no longer news to SpaceX. Elon already had plans for the deluge system before the first launch. He just let it dig the hole for them. I bet hot staging was off the drawing board before the launch too. It is easy to appear fast when you are half way to the finish line at the start of the race.
View Quote

Makes sense, still. It does usually take a little while to cut and shape stainless steel.

Elon has claimed in an interview that he probably knows more about industrialized mass production than anyone on the planet. I suppose this is part of him showing that off.

Well... And hiring the right people, naturally.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#47]
good test

View Quote

Cool. Looked to be about a 20 second long flow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Anastasios:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Anastasios:
good test

Testing the third tank they just added I'm sure.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#49]
SpaceX Booster 9 Rollout to the Pad For Flight
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 1:30:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#50]
Page / 496
Top Top