remove the "shorts/"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chokey:
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2tYbLOlLLzA

remove the "shorts/"

The easiest is to right click with cursor on the video itself, and select copy link address. Then post here using the YouTube option.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazing

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It looked like one of the pipes to the right of the tower sprung a leak.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Naffenea:
View Quote

I think it's just a relief valve, it's done it on all of the tests.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Naffenea:

Yeah, the pipe angles up and then back down with a valve on top.  I believe they pump nitrogen or some gas in there to pressurize the water and they don't want that gas to get to the rocket area hence the bend up and valve on top.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#12]

remove the "shorts/"
View Quote

I'll have to remember that.
Apparently they lost the camera van. LOL
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NwG:
I like the steam vs dust.
View Quote

The bidet appears to work well. I wonder about erosion from the exhaust but time will tell.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#14]
The chines look rather neat sticking out from all that frost.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
videos in each tweet

View Quote

2 didnt go the distance... Wonder if that means another test.
I also wonder if theyll start strapping on some extra copvs to be able to try and restart some of the outers...
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

2 didnt go the distance... Wonder if that means another test.
I also wonder if theyll start strapping on some extra copvs to be able to try and restart some of the outers...
View Quote
Outers can only be started by the OLM hardware. Part of the simplification that they introduced. Less parts on the vehicle itself to save weight and complexity.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

The bidet appears to work well. I wonder about erosion from the exhaust but time will tell.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Originally Posted By NwG:
I like the steam vs dust.

As an FYI...try cutting even thin stainless sheet with a oxy/acetylene torch. It's damn near impossible. That thick plate will hold up fine for the few seconds before liftoff.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:
Outers can only be started by the OLM hardware. Part of the simplification that they introduced. Less parts on the vehicle itself to save weight and complexity.

Nick
View Quote

I know that is how they are currently configured. Elon takes the approach of deleting things till you have to add them back in though.
I think they can only lose 3 engines. Of course I have no idea why 2 shut down on this test and 4 om the previous but some extra copvs doesn't seem like the worst tax...
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#19]

I know that is how they are currently configured. Elon takes the approach of deleting things till you have to add them back in though.
I think they can only lose 3 engines. Of course I have no idea why 2 shut down on this test and 4 om the previous but some extra copvs doesn't seem like the worst tax...
View Quote

I guess it matters when they can only lose 3 engines. Right on liftoff and you have to stress the remaining ones to take up the slack or abort if the clamps have not released yet.
They need all of those engines running as they should be, for the entire duration too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

It wouldn't be just a few extra COPVs, rather it would be plumbing them to 20 additional engines along with the weight and complexity that goes along with that.  Addressing the reliability of the engines should be the fix. Redesigning the entire thrust section of the booster to gain a capability useful for what should be a very limited failure mode, i.e. an otherwise healthy engine was shutdown but would not have the same issue if a restart was attempted, seems like the opposite of what space x is trying to do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DarkGray:

It wouldn't be just a few extra COPVs, rather it would be plumbing them to 20 additional engines along with the weight and complexity that goes along with that.  Addressing the reliability of the engines should be the fix. Redesigning the entire thrust section of the booster to gain a capability useful for what should be a very limited failure mode, i.e. an otherwise healthy engine was shutdown but would not have the same issue if a restart was attempted, seems like the opposite of what space x is trying to do.
View Quote

The startup is one of the most finicky parts of the reliability.

Thats not really a redesign of the entire thrust section, it's maybe stretching the chines a little bit and a little bit of pipe.

Was also just an off the cuff thought, no idea which engines were a problem or why...
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:38:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#23]
Mid Bay demo expected soon. They're making me nervous.

ETA- It's dead, Jim.

Starbase Live: 24/7 Starship & Super Heavy Development From SpaceX's Boca Chica Facility

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

In test phase, it's more important to fly sooner.   If this had a valuable payload, I am sure the launch commit criteria would be more stringent.
View Quote

Yes there is that. They are quite a ways from proof of concept.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#26]
@Dagger41, how far would you say they are from proof of concept?.
Would a successful orbital test do it for you?.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Jon101:
@Dagger41, how far would you say they are from proof of concept?.
Would a successful orbital test do it for you?.
View Quote

Well, the concept is a re-useable booster and a re-useable payload delivery system. Neither of them have gotten out of the atmosphere, let alone get to orbit.
So, a successful launch, orbit and recovery of both vehicles would prove that aspect of the concept is a success.

I would say 2-3 years if everything goes right.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
View Quote

Wow, I saw an excavator arm pulling a cable in the lower right.  Its probably just the angle but so close to where the midbay falls.  Reminds me of the liveleak videos of buildings falling on excavators.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Astounding ignorance / incompetence in the writing of this article. There’s a complete lack of understanding or distinction between damage from the violent energy at liftoff vs the rocket later being self-destructed.

US Wildlife Officials Stunned by Environmental Damage of SpaceX Explosion: Report
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:

Nick
View Quote

Do they have these for each of the outer engines?

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#32]

Even funnier is getting butthurt over a joke.

Starship or not, too funny not to share.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#33]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4fKFj9XYAAMIgp?format=webp&name=small

View Quote

Well, it's not like the government has the best record when dealing with fast food.

That said as much as I disapprove of SLS in general, if they were taking collections I would toss them a 50.

Starship would get a couple hundo though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#34]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4fKFj9XYAAMIgp?format=webp&name=small

View Quote
Dude is gonna need skin grafts after Scott flamed him.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Hmm so half thrust test again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Pictures from my visit. It seems that I went there at just the right time to see SN-24 and SN-15.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, Jeep is ready to make the road trip again - any news if he will get FAA approval for the dates of the Coast Guard warning?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#40]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F45CKKFXUAAqjyt?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F45CPb2W8AASyk_?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#41]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4owRBna0AAhEqD?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4owRJrboAAhd0o?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

View Quote

They should name the launch tower Dante.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#42]

COLLABORATIONS FOR COMMERCIAL SPACE CAPABILITIES 2 (CCSC2)

UNFUNDED SPACE ACT AGREEMENT
BETWEEN
THE NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION
AND
SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES CORP.
FOR
COLLABORATIONS FOR COMMERCIAL SPACE CAPABILITIES 2

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#43]
About  2 weeks ago I was at NASA in Clear Lake, TX for a "small business manufacturers" conference.  

A couple JSC employees (Senior) gave a Power Point presentation about the space plans for the next 30 years.  It's simply amazing.

Moon orbiting Space Station
Moon Base
Mars orbiting Space Station
Mars base.

All from private companies.  The ISS is the last "government" space station.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I made a prediction when it was launched that the Webb Observatory would be the last big government-old space project.

It looks like that prediction is coming true.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
I made a prediction when it was launched that the Webb Observatory would be the last big government-old space project.

It looks like that prediction is coming true.
View Quote

As it should be.  Look at SpaceX.  They did in 15 years what it took NASA to do in 60.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CMOS:

As it should be.  Look at SpaceX.  They did in 15 years what it took NASA to do in 60.

CMOS
View Quote

Specifically... What?

NASA was established in 1958... Man on the moon 11 years later.

If you go back to NACA - established 1915... Still not 60 years.

Not disputing that SpaceX and private space are kicking NASA's ass, but what benchmark are you qualifying the 15 vs 60 years?
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By scul:
Specifically... What?

NASA was established in 1958... Man on the moon 11 years later.

If you go back to NACA - established 1915... Still not 60 years.

Not disputing that SpaceX and private space are kicking NASA's ass, but what benchmark are you qualifying the 15 vs 60 years?
View Quote

NASA couldn't fight gravity and the EPA at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#49]

SUPER HEAVY SPECULATION ALERT:

Those of you who watch the Starbase Weekly livestreams will have heard parts of this theory already.

I am now 95% confident that SpaceX is in the process of building not one, but two Super Heavy Static Fire Test stands. One will be located near the Subortibal tank farm, and the other will be at the Massey's test site.

These test stands are essentially mini versions of the Orbital Launch Mount. There are a few major differences though:

1. These stands will not have launch capability so they will be much simpler. No retracting hold down clamps, but they will have 20 Raptor Quick Disconnects for starting the outer 20 engines. These QD's will likely not need to retract into the table, but they MIGHT do so in order to prevent them from being damaged as the booster is lowered in. Keeping the booster stable is a lot more difficult when using a crane for this job.

2. Because of the location of these test stands, and severe limitations on space, the method of testing engines will have to be different than how its done on the OLM. Im other words, SpaceX will not want flames shooting out in 360 degree and will instead direct the exhaust plume to one side.  

With that said I believe its highly probable that both of these test stands will have flame trenches under them. Its really the only way to make this work. This will inevitable cause people to start suggesting that they have had a change of heart and that they have realized that a flame trench was the right way to go all along but in my opinion this is not the conclusion we should come to when we see it.

So now there is the question of WHY. Why would SpaceX need test stands just for Static Fire testing?

1. Well at some point, launches will become much more frequent. This means the OLM will be nearly always be busy preparing for the next launch. As the launch cadence inevitably increases, there will be a backlog of boosters waiting to perform pre-flight engine testing. This will prevent that from becoming a problem.

2. The Orbital Launch Mount, with its new Bidet system is limited to Static fire tests of less than 10 seconds. It is truly designed for Launching Full stacks, and not for long duration tests purely due to the volume of water stored in the tanks.

3. The OLM is also believed to be limited to Static Fire tests with thrust values at or around 50%. This is a result of the design of the hold down clamps. Also, the skirt of the booster is likely not designed for the kind of forces it would experience if it was being held down at max thrust. There is no evidence of this currently, but its possible there may be some additional hold down capability with this test stand. This would likely involve placing a cap on top of the booster and strapping it down to the test stand. As I said, something like this would only be necessary if they want to perform SF tests at higher thrust levels.

So if this speculation is true, what should we be on the lookout for?

1. The areas where these will be located will either be built up to accommodate a flame trench, or they will soon begin excavating large holes into the ground for this purpose.

2. The suborbital tank farm will likely need to be expanded in order to increase its LOX and CH4 storage capabilities. I believe SpaceX is already in the beginning stages of this massive renovation.

3. CH4 storage tanks will need to be added to the Massey's test site. They will also need additional GSE equipment for filling Booster COPV's. This includes Helium storage, CO2 for the engine skirt purge system.

4. There will likely also need to be additional water tanks installed for traditional deluge systems for both of these tests stands. If they plan to do longer duration tests than what is allowed on the OLM, than these will be rather large storage tanks. Expecting they would be elevated water towers but we will have to wait and see.

Anyways, thats all for now. I usually don't like to post things like this on X anymore because something like this will get turned into a script on someone else's YT channel without mentioning the original source. But at the moment, I currently don't have time to make a video on this topic.

I am in the middle of two other deep dive investigations so this one will have to wait until things have developed further. We will discuss this more tomorrow during the RGV Starbase Weekly Live Stream!

Thanks for reading! Feel free to add additional thoughts in the replies below.

Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#50]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4-pqICWgAAxsVb?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Do I spy an IMAX camera??
Page / 496
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top