User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:26:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RhinelandArms] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smokedoff:
Husqvarna
View Quote

This, I have a 435 with 18" bar. It has sat for at least 5 years untouched.  Took 3 priming cranks and 2 pulls, started up perfect and runs perfect. Starts perfect hot or cold, every time. I do use the Husqvarna fuel.

If I used one professionally, I would buy a stihl in a heartbeat though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:32:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedBear] [#2]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Arfcom is shifting its affection away from Stihl lol.  The Stihl bitching thread a little bit back did it.  Strange how social media can influence people.  Six months ago almost no one ragged on Stihl now they’re the cool kid to hate.

View Quote

It's the Ford vs. Chevy thing.

I run Stihl, Husky, and Echo.  They are all good in their own ways.   I'd go with the Husqvarna 550XPmk2 being the best all-around saw, although I have a triplet of 545mk2 saws that carry 16/18/20" bars, all of them run and cut great.   I am 100% sold on M-Tronic and AutoTune; they just run.

One day I'll luck into a deal on a Stihl MS500i.

Anyone talking about Husky 435/440/450/460 saws & Stihl 250/271/290 type saws - know that they're junk (heavy and slow) compared to a real professional saw.  The price difference between a 460 and 545/550 is $70 (or less on sale) - it's a no-brainer.   I bought a Stihl MS290 and the salesguy tried to talk me into the 260 - I should have listened then, but after using it and being lent a real saw, I learned the lesson.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ArmedBear:

I run Stihl, Husky, and Echo.  They are all good in their own ways.   I'd go with the Husqvarna 550XPmk2 being the best all-around saw, although I have a triplet of 545mk2 saws that carry 16/18/20" bars, all of them run and cut great.   I am 100% sold on M-Tronic and AutoTune; they just run.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Arfcom is shifting its affection away from Stihl lol.  The Stihl bitching thread a little bit back did it.  Strange how social media can influence people.  Six months ago almost no one ragged on Stihl now they’re the cool kid to hate.

No it’s a very noticeable shift after that “muh Stihl is hard to start” thread a few weeks ago.  Lots of people dogpiled them that you otherwise wouldn’t see.  IDGAF I just find it amusing how OPE threads lately are tending to be biased against Stihl.  I love my 261 BTW.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RhinelandArms:

This, I have a 435 with 18" bar. It has sat for at least 5 years untouched.  Took 3 priming cranks and 2 pulls, started up perfect and runs perfect. Starts perfect hot or cold, every time.

I do use the Husqvarna fuel.
View Quote

I use mix oil in 100LL and have for almost a decade in all my two-stroke equipment.  $6/gallon versus ~$25/gallon of the canned gas.

All my stuff runs like a champ and a lot of money saved.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Anybody have a recommendation for helmets? Eyepro is hard to source for me with prescription glasses, so something with a face shield and earpro would be fantastic. Just picked up an MS271 on Friday.

(Use is home/hunting camp and storm cleanup)
View Quote

Not cheap, but I love my Protos helmet.

Big fan of the 550 XP MKII.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Stihls do vibrate a bit different than husky.

I can run dad's Johnny red way longer than comparable stihl saw.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Originally Posted By JHMC79:

Think I've got my list narrowed down to either the MS 261 or the MS 194-CE.  I've read so many great things about the 261 but am temped by the less than 8lbs of the 194.

I'll be replacing a Husqvarna 460 Rancher with a 24" bar.  It's an awesome beast but heavy as hell.  All I do with it anymore is saw firewood with a max diameter of less than 14".  Running the Rancher most of the day yesterday has got my tendonitis flared up in my left arm.  Hoping a lighter saw will be easier to run all day.
Stihls do vibrate a bit different than husky.

I can run dad's Johnny red way longer than comparable stihl saw.

A lot of stihls use rubber av bushings

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By takdriver:
We need more fuel injected saws, dump the carbs.
View Quote

Fuck no.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#8]

No it’s a very noticeable shift after that “muh Stihl is hard to start” thread a few weeks ago.  Lots of people dogpiled them that you otherwise wouldn’t see.  IDGAF I just find it amusing how OPE threads lately are tending to be biased against Stihl.  I love my 261 BTW.
View All Quotes

When the beast is wounded, now is the time to strike
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#9]
550 xp MKii.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#10]
You can quickly look at the Stihl clutch cover for the holes to mount outside spike dawgs.  The pro saws will have holes here, the others won't.  This is merely a rule of thumb.
Husq has them too.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

That worked the other way as well. The thing with stihl is marketing over the last 20+- years.  It really boosted the popularity,  not to mention the name is catchy.

Personally I like older stihl pro saws even though their AV and air filtration is sub par compared to husky saws. You could always count on the older stihl saws to be grunt machines and they were reliable. Hell I like their older stuff period and still search them out. Like the fs85r that was the best trimmer stihl has ever made.  They went downhill with the 4mix line of garbage.  There is just no logical reason for it over a simple 2t imho.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

That worked the other way as well. The thing with stihl is marketing over the last 20+- years.  It really boosted the popularity,  not to mention the name is catchy.

Personally I like older stihl pro saws even though their AV and air filtration is sub par compared to husky saws. You could always count on the older stihl saws to be grunt machines and they were reliable. Hell I like their older stuff period and still search them out. Like the fs85r that was the best trimmer stihl has ever made.  They went downhill with the 4mix line of garbage.  There is just no logical reason for it over a simple 2t imho.
View Quote

The 4mix is a solution looking for a problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:

View All Quotes

Maybe they got some huge kick back from the epa or something for it.   If I’m looking for a trimmer or blower I’m not even going to look at a stihl. Give me simple 2t goodness.  For example echo makes the best blower and shindaiwa makes the best trimmer imho.  When it comes to saws the 3 series husky xp’s are hard to beat as are some of the 5 series.  The only issue with husky is that the dealers are far and few between around here, and stihl is in every suburban box store you walk into.  But I still won’t buy a new stihl.. just don’t let me see an old 044, 026, 046, 066 etc for sale local in good shape

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Just came here to mention that I love my Makita EA5000 with a muff mod/cat delete (Dolmar).

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Indeed. As will many others.
The stop switch is oriented correctly on the 550, and the front handle is also metal.
View Quote

That makes no sense. It's a good saw if fat girls are your thing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 346ci:

View Quote

You have to go up with your thumb on the Stihl to kill it, which is awkward. The use of plastic in the Stihl makes it a tad lighter, this appeals to those with weak arms.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

But still has the absolute worst on/off mechanism.  Who the fuck decided off was up is beyond me.
View Quote

It's so you don't accidentally push it down while using it. If you have used a saw before you know sometimes you have to rock it up and down to get through a large log. It would be easy to hit that switch and kill the saw while it's mid cut. Cranking a saw while its bound up is a bitch. If you have enough time behind a saw you will run into this eventually and the decision on the switch orientation will make since.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#18]

You have to go up with your thumb on the Stihl to kill it, which is awkward. The use of plastic in the Stihl makes it a tad lighter, this appeals to those with weak arms.
View All Quotes

Sometimes I like to use big saws even when they aren’t needed just to feel the power

Cut up a black cherry blow down this past weekend. Could I have used the 346 or 372… sure.   But I just wanted to stretch the legs on the big boy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ulster:
Stihl won't start...  I read that comment in the last chainsaw thread and thought it was funny.

Here's a serious answer.

https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/downloads/Chain-Saw-Comparison-Chart.pdf

I've got a 260 Pro, and I believe one main difference is a compression relief button for starting.
View Quote

I just got 271. You do need to read the manual. They are a little tricky to start if you just assume you know it all. Follow the process they start easy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#20]
The MS261 is a beautiful saw, that has the power, easy starting and more metal parts than cheaper saws. I replaced a Husky 550 and haven’t looked back.

Our 30 year old Stihl’s start perfectly. Seems like after a few years the husky’s become harder and harder to start, especially when hot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

How weak are your thumb muscles that this is a problem?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By n20junkie:
The MS261 is a beautiful saw, that has the power, easy starting and more metal parts than cheaper saws. I replaced a Husky 550 and haven’t looked back.

Our 30 year old Stihl’s start perfectly. Seems like after a few years the husky’s become harder and harder to start, especially when hot.
View Quote

You’re doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:15:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Joe731] [#23]
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:

It's so you don't accidentally push it down while using it. If you have used a saw before you know sometimes you have to rock it up and down to get through a large log. It would be easy to hit that switch and kill the saw while it's mid cut. Cranking a saw while its bound up is a bitch. If you have enough time behind a saw you will run into this eventually and the decision on the switch orientation will make since.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:
Originally Posted By stgdz:

But still has the absolute worst on/off mechanism.  Who the fuck decided off was up is beyond me.

So you can accidentally push the choke on?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

I just bought two of theses. Better than my Stihl and Husqvarna helmets which broke within a week of each other. And more comfortable.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPS8T8BC
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Anybody have a recommendation for helmets? Eyepro is hard to source for me with prescription glasses, so something with a face shield and earpro would be fantastic. Just picked up an MS271 on Friday.

(Use is home/hunting camp and storm cleanup)

I just bought two of theses. Better than my Stihl and Husqvarna helmets which broke within a week of each other. And more comfortable.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPS8T8BC

No idea whether it's a piece of crap or not but Amazon has this one as a 'Daily Deal' for $74.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

It makes it appeal to people who actually use their saws versus people who cut down one tree a year. And the husky saws have plenty of plastic.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Maybe just a coincidence, but the Stihl bashing seemed to start at about the same time we had an influx of incels and homosexuals.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RTX:

Maybe just a coincidence, but the Stihl bashing seemed to start at about the same time we had an influx of incels and homosexuals.
View All Quotes

I needed to take my press on nails off to type this.....
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

LOL - the Stihl flippy caps and that darn switch that goes up to shut it off would take those out, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Haha...I had Jerry Clower 8-tracks and I bet you did, too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Buy a Sthil 500i and pair it with an ES Light bar of whatever length you need, and it will likely handle anything you run into.
View Quote

lol
Might be a touch overkill for the OP’s needs.  I just picked up one last week as a 4th saw.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#32]
The small pro grade Stihl models are the 151 and 201. They can be rear handle or top handle depending on how it’s going to be used.

I’d take an Echo 2511 over a 194. Once muffler modded and retuned, it’s a lot of saw for the size.

The 261 is the best 50cc pro saw out now. Can’t go wrong with it.
View Quote

I own both brands so I’m not emotionally invested in saying that the 261 is the  2nd best. The 550xp is a better saw.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#33]
Originally Posted By andre3k:

But when it gets old, kiss DIY diagnosis goodbye and you're at the mercy of the dealer for parts. I'll take an old school carb any day of the week.
View Quote

If you actually use the saw it will be worn out in a year or two it won't get "old",

Use it for a year then buy a new saw and that one is the back up incase your new saw gets smashed.

Then next year sell it off and so on.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ShadowAngel:

Why do people turn everything into a fucking team sport? It's just dumb.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Its actually pretty easy to tell.  If its marked "Stihl" anywhere on the saw, its consumer grade.  If its marked "Husqvarna" or "XP", then its a pro grade saw.

Why do people turn everything into a fucking team sport? It's just dumb.

Probably just a knee jerk reaction from all the years of people saying the G19 is always the answer lol.    
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

I don’t find the stihl kill switch awkward at all. I don’t have to look for it, or think about it. Swipe my thumb and the saw shuts off.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#36]
MS261. One and done.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Anyone talking about Husky 435/440/450/460 saws & Stihl 250/271/290 type saws - know that they're junk (heavy and slow) compared to a real professional saw.  The price difference between a 460 and 545/550 is $70 (or less on sale) - it's a no-brainer.   I bought a Stihl MS290 and the salesguy tried to talk me into the 260 - I should have listened then, but after using it and being lent a real saw, I learned the lesson.  

View All Quotes

If you have a use that justifies buying the 500i it’s a blast to use.  I only need a large over 20in bar occasionally so I bought a 20in to go on it just for fun.
    20in with a sharp full chisel should be a screamer
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mc556:

I sold my 261 for a 550xp and don’t regret it one bit.
View Quote

I'm running an old jonsered 50cc and clone 660.   I really want a 550 but that jonsered still pulls awesome compression numbers.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Well heck I'll jump in, I run stihl, some echo and old school sand cast poulans. I'm looking hard at a ms261, I love my stihl 026 and think the 261 would be a nice upgrade. My stihl line up is 024, 026, 028, 036pro and 044. The 026 with a 16" bar and the 036pro are my go to saws. Any excuse to buy another one, changing bars sucks. Bow saws are great for bucking logs
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#40]
For the needs the OP described I’d never choose a top handled saw as my only or primary saw. If my stihl 250 ever dies (I’m not sure it will) my plan is to replace it with a 261. Slightly higher weight but noticeable increase in power. I have a lighter weight 170 that I got after my bypass surgery but while lighter, it’s gutless. I have to consciously try to not bog it down.

Lots of people asserting you must use non-ethanol gas or your saw will never start after a week or two of sitting.  I treat my ethanol gas with seafoam and my stuff starts even if it’s been sitting unused for months. Big nothing burger in my experience.

Pick any good pro level saw at an appropriate size, keep a sharp chain on it, and don’t stress over it.  But for the love of God, don’t buy your saw from a box store, buy from a dealer.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Fuck no.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By takdriver:
We need more fuel injected saws, dump the carbs.

Fuck no.

Will those autotuners still be running in 50 years?  Cause my old carb one is still going.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#43]
MS261 is the best 50cc saw made.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By mc556:
  If you have a use that justifies buying the 500i it’s a blast to use.  I only need a large over 20in bar occasionally so I bought a 20in to go on it just for fun.
    20in with a sharp full chisel should be a screamer
View Quote

I don't and certainly don't need it but I have CAD and a desire to have a fuel-injected chainsaw.   The dealer offered me one of their first ones for $1200 and wish I had jumped on it then.  I was at a store a couple weeks ago that had the 500i marked down to $1299, but they were OOS.   I'll buy one when I can find one in that range.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I mainly use an 026 It always starts easy for the last 15 years got another pawnshop 026 I haven't messed with yet and my 361 has sat so long it needs fuel lines etc  But it stops there every other piece I have is redmaxx shindiawa  blowers weedeaters n hedge trimmers. But the 026 is one of the best purchases I've ever made
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#46]

I don't and certainly don't need it but I have CAD and a desire to have a fuel-injected chainsaw.   The dealer offered me one of their first ones for $1200 and wish I had jumped on it then.  I was at a store a couple weeks ago that had the 500i marked down to $1299, but they were OOS.   I'll buy one when I can find one in that range.
View Quote

It's a beast
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#47]

The dealer offered me one of their first ones for $1200 and wish I had jumped on it then.  I was at a store a couple weeks ago that had the 500i marked down to $1299, but they were OOS.   I'll buy one when I can find one in that range.
View Quote

Good luck with that.    
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#48]

It makes it appeal to people who actually use their saws versus people who cut down one tree a year. And the husky saws have plenty of plastic.
View Quote

550 has less plastic than the 261, which is probably why it’s lighter.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Jeffg:
MS261 is the best 50cc saw made.
View Quote

This has been covered. It is the 2nd best 50cc saw.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#50]
500i
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top