Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Google tracks your location no matter what. When you tell them not to allow tracking data, all they’re doing is omitting that data to the 3rd parties that pay for it.

Logging out it will still be attached to you and that wouldn’t pass in court.

If an old Android with no phone number or account attached can dial 911, I’d be hard pressed to believe they aren’t collecting data still. That is after all, the entire basis of Googles revenue generation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trails-end:
The only sure way is to not have the device with you.
View Quote

The Perfect Solution
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 1911LVR:

The Perfect Solution
View Quote

This reminds me of the comm badges on Star Trek.  Several times on the franchise people circumvent ship's or station's systems by leaving their comm badges off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

This reminds me of the comm badges on Star Trek.  Several times on the franchise people circumvent ship's or station's systems by leaving their comm badges off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Moondog:
Originally Posted By 1911LVR:

The Perfect Solution

Nowadays we look at those situations and say "but don't your ships have onboard motion sensors or anything else like that?"

I guess it would be hard for people in the 90s to fathom how ubiquitous surveillance could be in that high tech of an environment.

I don't think they would even have a concept of privacy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Google tracks your location no matter what. When you tell them not to allow tracking data, all they’re doing is omitting that data to the 3rd parties that pay for it.

Logging out it will still be attached to you and that wouldn’t pass in court.
View Quote

What exactly is attached to me?
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Nowadays we look at those situations and say "but don't your ships have onboard motion sensors or anything else like that?"

I guess it would be hard for people in the 90s to fathom how ubiquitous surveillance could be in that high tech of an environment.

I don't think they would even have a concept of privacy.
View Quote

Even on TOS, they had cameras on the bridge.  Cameras would be everywhere.  I'd expect facial recognition would've improved by then.

I recall an episode where Kirk is being tried for the death of a crew member.  They were able to use internal sensors to locate the missing member by the sound of his heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Trex arms has a pretty good video on de-googled phones. This isn't necessarily something you would do on your main phone, but more of a backup, almost burner type phone. It seems like burner phones are pretty much gone these days.

Turning off data isn't enough on your regular phone. They can and still will track you.

Faraday bag is a good plan, but mixed results. I suspect the bags themselves just degrade quickly after reading reviews. I kind of want to build one of those small faraday trash cans to keep in my car should I need to go secret.

Yes, data security should be part of SOP. But, they make it incredibly difficult, for obvious reasons.

Link Posted: 9/20/2024 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Rob Braxman has a few videos on de-googling devices.  He has his own BraxOS distribution
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top