Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Can somebody with a lot of experience elaborate on how likely it is to ID somebody carrying a radio but not beeing able to identify F/F ?

That seems rather unintuitive to me, my only experience with that kind of ID is on the airsoft field and i am allways interested to learn.

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can somebody with a lot of experience elaborate on how likely it is to ID somebody carrying a radio but not beeing able to identify F/F ?

That seems rather unintuitive to me, my only experience with that kind of ID is on the airsoft field and i am allways interested to learn.

View Quote

Under 50m in the dark under partial moonlight, you'd be able to see an antenna/bulky pack if they're carrying something like a PRC but making out facial details might be a challenge.  Also assume any decently trained group has their faces painted at night, further hampering PID.  

Assuming my group isn't just ragtag militia running what they brung, it wouldn't be hard to tell "those guys aren't wearing our issued pattern/kit" even at night.  If we are a hodgepodge, hopefully we've been together long enough to easily identify each other from a distance.  When I'm around a group long enough, I can pick people out from a distance just based on build and gait.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Right.  Sometimes it is just a resource driven thing- plenty of units only have radios for the squad leader, platoon commander, and platoon sgt.  We had very few radios in my unit in 2003 and 2004.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more thing.  Actions on contact should have been briefed during the op order.  

The whole point of battle drills and briefing is to have plans in place that are second nature to execute when seconds count.  

Where's the OPORD we would have received before this operation Ben

You think a unit that doesn't have working comms practiced a cohesive battle drill?

To be fair, in the early to mid 90's we had very little comms within the squad. The main radio was with the LT so we did most everything by hand and arm signals.

Right.  Sometimes it is just a resource driven thing- plenty of units only have radios for the squad leader, platoon commander, and platoon sgt.  We had very few radios in my unit in 2003 and 2004.

Yep, early 80s to early 90s.

Curious how it is today.

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone should upload the scenario into that ai chat gpt thing that writes articles, programs. Etc.

I would do it but I don't want to start ww3 with skynet and unleash the terminators
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Someone should upload the scenario into that ai chat gpt thing that writes articles, programs. Etc.

I would do it but I don't want to start ww3 with skynet and unleash the terminators
View Quote

Even Antifa cells have Baofengs these days. With all of the ATAK based mesh networks running around I would prepare for anyone encountered to have comms. If they don't that's nice but I wouldn't assume they wouldn't. Even the Taliban had radios in 2002 even if they were shitty hand held units.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Curious how it is today.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more thing.  Actions on contact should have been briefed during the op order.  

The whole point of battle drills and briefing is to have plans in place that are second nature to execute when seconds count.  

Where's the OPORD we would have received before this operation Ben

You think a unit that doesn't have working comms practiced a cohesive battle drill?

To be fair, in the early to mid 90's we had very little comms within the squad. The main radio was with the LT so we did most everything by hand and arm signals.

Curious how it is today.

We had to build PRR units out of the DRMO units in Iraq. That was 2007.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

According to the text, it sounds like the Company was using the creek as a “hand rail”… that is a terrain feature to help direct movement/maneuver space. The assumption would be that no friendly forces are on the far side of the creek, therefore the other element would be presumed to be enemy. Any friendly adjacent units should have been covered in the OPORD.

Units develop SOPs to identify Friend/Foe. For visual ID, it may be reflective tape in a specific spot on the uniform, or IR recognition. A historic example is paratroopers using cricket clackers to ID each other during the Normandy invasion.

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you made any threads like this that incorporate various kinds of drones and their tactical implications? Anything from small 3d printed quadcopters to optionally manned UTVs with 50cal CROWS. Just conceptualizing how things change with various kinds of robotics.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Mid morning bump for more decisions
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Being that I have zero experience in infantry tactics, this has been interesting.

I cheated- read all the responses, thought about it some more.

Immediate and violent action is what I'm going with.  Assuming my team is responsible for left flank security, there's another team on right flank.  If we lay low and let this recon element pass, right flank is likely going to run into them and now I'm down range of friendly fire.  Right flank is also going to get a big surprise when they get shot up because we didn't do our job.  

I have much more control of the outcome if we shoot first then if we let them slide and hope they slip through our line without any exchange in gunfire.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
SAW and Asst Saw join the team leader in the depression.

Rifleman take cover in the shrubbery.

Let them pass.

Report up when they are clear.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're out numbered right now, but if you shoot first you can level the playing field, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being that I have zero experience in infantry tactics, this has been interesting.

I cheated- read all the responses, thought about it some more.

Immediate and violent action is what I'm going with.  Assuming my team is responsible for left flank security, there's another team on right flank.  If we lay low and let this recon element pass, right flank is likely going to run into them and now I'm down range of friendly fire.  Right flank is also going to get a big surprise when they get shot up because we didn't do our job.  

I have much more control of the outcome if we shoot first then if we let them slide and hope they slip through our line without any exchange in gunfire.

You're out numbered right now, but if you shoot first you can level the playing field, right?

Barely outnumbered and my team is spread out into what's basically an L-shaped ambush, at night, against a bunched up enemy patrol in the open.

I'll take those odds any fucking day.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
SAW and Asst Saw join the team leader in the depression.

Rifleman take cover in the shrubbery.

Let them pass.

Report up when they are clear.
View Quote

Check the distance.  Ain't nobody got time fo all dat.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know, but moving them in those places also sets up a good ambush.

Everyone is ready to kill them all if needed, so the first shot drops them all, pretty much.

No easy way to set up an ambush, but it's the best move to try and keep the original mission intact.

They are the left flank, so hopefully the main body has passed.

What do I know?

I was a Tanker, at that distance?  

GUNNER SABOT TROOPS
IDENTIFIED
UP
FIRE, FIRE CANNISTER.

We never had cannister though, so I never got to have that fire command...  :(

Yeah it's overkill, and probably not completely correct, but if they haven't noticed a tank in their path, then the fire ball and the round hitting right in front of them will wake them up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Hasty ambush.  Kick it off with a hand grenade.  You got them in an L-shape. They have to cross the creek to get to you.  You got the position and terrain in them. You can’t let them through into the rear or flank of your company.  That is why you are there.  Once the firing starts the Ast SAW will likely close up on the gunner.  That is his job.  

They are too close.  You are not falling back without them seeing you and likely staying in contact, making close air or arty difficult.  

I would calling in some arty behind them to keep any additional forces off your back.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's 30 meters with excellent visibility. If we're not blown already it's because they are blind. Do I have a parachute flare or other distractive/ illumination device that will highlight them to other friendlies in the area without pinpointing my position?

Eta: 30 meters with excellent visibility is close enough that somebody is about to start shooting either way and I want to minimize blue on blue while also alerting everyone that I have no communication with where to shoot. Verbal commands are going to go to shit as soon as the first trigger is pulled and I don't have any radios.
View Quote

Always initiate an ambush hasty or otherwise with a casualty causing device.  Id use grenades in this case but even your rifle on rock and roll is better than a flare or voice.   The SAW and rifle,an can see what is going on so they should be on the same track and ready to rip.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Given the distances involved you are.going to get compromised  and the main attack is going to get blown no matter what.

I would have the SAW gunner and myself initiate a hasty ambush with grenades while the single rifleman I have direct contact with is assigned to target the enemy radio man as soon as we throw grenades.  Then have the SAW gunner dump his entire belt I to the enemy as we start pulling back to our rally point. Hope the assistant SAW gunner makes the rally point.

Once at the RP start communicating with higher and try take contact with 2nd fire team.  We will figure out what to next from there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

My team being slightly outnumbered, but with the element of surprise, is a secondary concern to the security risk of our left flank.  Yes, it's likely these are scouts or lead element of larger enemy force, but if I let them pass, I've not done my job.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag for reading later
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what most folks are missing.  You are practically at bayonet range.  You really wouldn’t even have two minutes.  Sheer luck that your guy spotted them first.  And if you or any of your folks move at all it is a certainty they will see you.  Look at the troop positioning, if they continue East or turn back South it is a,certainty they will run into your team.  

You have got to act now and hopefully you have trained your team well enough that they can follow along.  There is no time and you are too close to move around undetected. Pump your arm left and right for the hasty ambush arm signal. Give your team a few seconds and let rip.  I’d spray a whole mag. Then throw a couple of grenades.  

Unless I was sure the enemy was wiped out I would sit tight and wait for,the rest of the squad to show up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is what most folks are missing.  You are practically at bayonet range.  You really wouldn't even have two minutes.  Sheer luck that your guy spotted them first.  And if you or any of your folks move at all it is a certainty they will see you.  Look at the troop positioning, if they continue East or turn back South it is a,certainty they will run into your team.  

You have got to act now and hopefully you have trained your team well enough that they can follow along.  There is no time and you are too close to move around undetected. Pump your arm left and right for the hasty ambush arm signal. Give your team a few seconds and let rip.  I'd spray a whole mag. Then throw a couple of grenades.  

Unless I was sure the enemy was wiped out I would sit tight and wait for,the rest of the squad to show up. http://www.operationalmedicine.org/TextbookFiles/FMST_20008/Block%205/1201a/image082.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what most folks are missing.  You are practically at bayonet range.  You really wouldn't even have two minutes.  Sheer luck that your guy spotted them first.  And if you or any of your folks move at all it is a certainty they will see you.  Look at the troop positioning, if they continue East or turn back South it is a,certainty they will run into your team.  

You have got to act now and hopefully you have trained your team well enough that they can follow along.  There is no time and you are too close to move around undetected. Pump your arm left and right for the hasty ambush arm signal. Give your team a few seconds and let rip.  I'd spray a whole mag. Then throw a couple of grenades.  

Unless I was sure the enemy was wiped out I would sit tight and wait for,the rest of the squad to show up. http://www.operationalmedicine.org/TextbookFiles/FMST_20008/Block%205/1201a/image082.jpg

The only problem I have with this is "spray a whole mag"?  What is this, Vietnam?

At sub-50m distances, you should be able to take an easy headshot on the first guy and get a few rounds into another before they get their ass in gear and prone out/take cover/return fire, then come the grahnaids.  I'm not John Wick but I can at least tag 2 in a group that closely bunched.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 2:15:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The only problem I have with this is "spray a whole mag"?  What is this, Vietnam?

At sub-50m distances, you should be able to take an easy headshot on the first guy and get a few rounds into another before they get their ass in gear and prone out/take cover/return fire, then come the grahnaids.  I'm not John Wick but I can at least tag 2 in a group that closely bunched.
View Quote

Hitting a moving target at night from any distance other than contact range is harder than you think.  and after the first shot rings out things will happen fast. If you are lucky the enemy will hit the ground but they will do it fast enough that you will never have time to draw a bead on a second target.  These are thinking human beings not cardboard targets.  They will not stand their wondering they will react. They will return fire if they can.

If you are unlucky they are well trained and will respond to your near ambush with an immediate assault through your position.  A mag dump is your best option to discourage this.  Suppressive Fire is a real thing. Put it to use.  If bullets are coming in fast they are more likely to hug the ground and stay there.  You need t keep them suppressed until the remainder of your squad shows up. A high volume of fire is more likely to accomplish this.  

Really I would prefer to initiate with a grenade but I am more worried we will be discovered while I am fumbling for one and I will lose the initiative. I also don’t know exactly where the AG is.  I don’t want him to wander up the flank into the line of fire.  Or tip off the enemy of our presence prior to ambush initiation.  Time is of the essence.

But I do like the idea that the first shot should be as well aimed as possible.  Just that I am not going to mess around after that.   I am not out there alone.  I need to give my team time to get into position and the rest of my squad time to turn around and add their weight to the fight.  I don’t need to win this all by myself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

It makes them think you are a larger element.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hitting a moving target at night from any distance other than contact range is harder than you think.  and after the first shot rings out things will happen fast. If you are lucky the enemy will hit the ground but they will do it fast enough that you will never have time to draw a bead on a second target.  These are thinking human beings not cardboard targets.  They will not stand their wondering they will react. They will return fire if they can.

If you are unlucky they are well trained and will respond to your near ambush with an immediate assault through your position.  A mag dump is your best option to discourage this.  Suppressive Fire is a real thing. Put it to use.  If bullets are coming in fast they are more likely to hug the ground and stay there.  You need t keep them suppressed until the remainder of your squad shows up. A high volume of fire is more likely to accomplish this.  

Really I would prefer to initiate with a grenade but I am more worried we will be discovered while I am fumbling for one and I will lose the initiative. I also don't know exactly where the AG is.  I don't want him to wander up the flank into the line of fire.  Or tip off the enemy of our presence prior to ambush initiation.  Time is of the essence.

But I do like the idea that the first shot should be as well aimed as possible.  Just that I am not going to mess around after that.   I am not out there alone.  I need to give my team time to get into position and the rest of my squad time to turn around and add their weight to the fight.  I don't need to win this all by myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really I would prefer to initiate with a grenade but I am more worried we will be discovered while I am fumbling for one and I will lose the initiative. I also don't know exactly where the AG is.  I don't want him to wander up the flank into the line of fire.  Or tip off the enemy of our presence prior to ambush initiation.  Time is of the essence.

But I do like the idea that the first shot should be as well aimed as possible.  Just that I am not going to mess around after that.   I am not out there alone.  I need to give my team time to get into position and the rest of my squad time to turn around and add their weight to the fight.  I don't need to win this all by myself.

Remember you have a SAW gunner and 3 other dudes that should be opening up as soon as you fire your first shot since at least one of them has already seen the enemy.

Also, I've shot moving targets in near-darkness quite a few times.  My transitions are solid so I'm confident I can get rounds on a second enemy after that first shot.  There's a very good chance they're going to freeze as they figure out what the fuck happened for just long enough that I can engage another dude.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Remember you have a SAW gunner and 3 other dudes that should be opening up as soon as you fire your first shot since at least one of them has already seen the enemy.

Also, I've shot moving targets in near-darkness quite a few times.  My transitions are solid so I'm confident I can get rounds on a second enemy after that first shot.  There's a very good chance they're going to freeze as they figure out what the fuck happened for just long enough that I can engage another dude.
View Quote

I’ll not doubt your marksmanship.  But they will not freeze.  You wouldn’t freeze.  Neither will they.  

And you are initiating. Best to do so in a big way.  

But we are actually debating fine points. No matter what, chaos is about to enter the room.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

...snip....
View Quote

Edited to for a smart ass comment

Remember. You are a young Marine (cough, spit, cough) infantryman.   You will NOT pass up the chance to dump a whole magazine.  A mag dump is even better than crayons.  

If you are extremely mature and disciplined you will dump the mag with more than one trigger pull.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Mostly keeping to vetted well used TDGs.

I should update some of them, it is true.
View Quote

They don't even need to be designed around published TTPs or issued systems. Just general thought exercises to see what ARFCOM comes up with, since a lot of pre-existing strategic/tactical wisdom about how to best conduct anything from foot patrols to armored assaults gets different when you can put some of your weapon systems on RC cars that drive along in whatever formation you can imagine with your new cheat code in the risk/opportunity dilemma.

Not trying to come off like I'm giving you homework. I might make a thread like this myself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a long winded explanation written out how I would prepare for hasty ambush from the position I already occupied but hope they would pass through my line with out detecting us and possibly not blow the mission just out of the ORP.

Then I reread the scenario one more time.  Good thing too, we are left security.

Well fuck.

If they pass through us, they will be-bop right into the main body, so that's not going to work.  Our function in life at this moment is to prevent exactly that from happening.

Hasty ambush it is then.  By grace or luck my team is already in a good position to engage from, so it looks like it's about to go down.  Initiate fire with the SAW.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Always initiate an ambush hasty or otherwise with a casualty causing device.  Id use grenades in this case but even your rifle on rock and roll is better than a flare or voice.   The SAW and rifle,an can see what is going on so they should be on the same track and ready to rip.
View Quote

I respectfully point out that a parachute flare used in an antipersonnel role will both point out a position and inflict rather nasty burns if contact is made. It's also going to fuck with their OODA loop to be traipsing around in the dark and then get hit with a very bright rocket. As a bonus it may start a fire that might push them from cover. From a practical standpoint it will hopefully backlight them making it easier for my troops to hit them while providing a photonic barrier that may make observing my men and aiming harder for the enemy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hasty ambush it is then.  By grace or luck my team is already in a good position to engage from, so it looks like it's about to go down.  Initiate fire with the SAW.
View Quote

Generally speaking, initiating an ambush with an open bolt belt fed is frowned upon.  Of the belt fed guns I've carried and fired I'd place the least faith in a SAW.  A ka-chunk while trying to kick off an ambush is not ideal.  Explosives are the best way to initiate, leader with aimed rifle fire next best, belt fed last.  

That's how I was taught anyway.  One of the SAWs I had was an enormous hunk of shit too so I'm pretty jaded from that as well

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I respectfully point out that a parachute flare used in an antipersonnel role will both point out a position and inflict rather nasty burns if contact is made. It's also going to fuck with their OODA loop to be traipsing around in the dark and then get hit with a very bright rocket. As a bonus it may start a fire that might push them from cover. From a practical standpoint it will hopefully backlight them making it easier for my troops to hit them while providing a photonic barrier that may make observing my men and aiming harder for the enemy.
View Quote

??.   Naaa.   I saw a guy get hit in the back of the arm with a parachute flare.  It left a whoppin bruise.   But didn’t  even take him out of the training exercise.  

Well might work if you could hit someone in the head.  But have you ever tried to aim one of those things.  They have no sights and they twist all over while in flight.  

I’m sticking with a real for sure casualty producers.  Although a flare after that would,not be such a bad idea.  

This is a fun thread. Brings my grunt days.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Generally speaking, initiating an ambush with an open bolt belt fed is frowned upon.  Of the belt fed guns I've carried and fired I'd place the least faith in a SAW.  A ka-chunk while trying to kick off an ambush is not ideal.  Explosives are the best way to initiate, leader with aimed rifle fire next best, belt fed last.  

That's how I was taught anyway.  One of the SAWs I had was an enormous hunk of shit too so I'm pretty jaded from that as well

View Quote

I can’t disaagree with this as I saw it happen with a M60.  Luckily the squad leader was on the ball and kicked off the party with his personal weapon immediately.  Almost didn’t notice the chunk.  

I will say I found the SAW to be a great and reliable weapon.  Course, they were all brand new when I was in.  ??
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

For reference here is a flare popped off at Cola Warrior after dark. Notice how many people in the picture are covering their eyes. Aiming a rifle is next to impossible if the flare is between you and your target.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

SAWs were always good on belts but garbage on mags.

But I guess to reinforce your point somewhat , on a night range my SAW gunner had one go down with a broken extractor half way through a , you guessed it, near ambush.  Nothing like burning your hands trying in vain to get this dude's fucking gun back up in the dark.

Good times.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'll not doubt your marksmanship.  But they will not freeze.  You wouldn't freeze.  Neither will they.  

But we are actually debating fine points. No matter what, chaos is about to enter the room.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll not doubt your marksmanship.  But they will not freeze.  You wouldn't freeze.  Neither will they.  

Oh there will be at least a half second hesitation after that first incoming round domes the walkie talkie bro.

Nobody reacts instantly to something completely unexpected.  Even the most experienced dudes have to process what they just heard before they snap into action.  I'm not talking about a total freeze up or a long pause unless they're totally new to combat, just long enough for me to transition to target 2.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#43]
With regard to the parachute flare.  Don’t.  Just don’t.  

Infantrymen are trained to seek cover the instant they hear the whoosh or pop of the flare.  If you initiate with such you will lose your chance to inflict ruthless casualties upon an unsuspecting and helpless enemy.  If you fire it horizontally it will skip along the ground and who knows where it could end up.

It takes two hands to fire a parachute flare.  They cannot be aimed with any degree of accuracy. You will have to put your rifle down to fire it.  By the time you pick it back up the bad guys will be hugging the ground in the shadows. The guy with the radio will be reporting back.  The arty will be coming soon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You're speaking from experience.

However, there is always the outlier. When I was an instructor at the schoolhouse we had someone get so lost during night land nav (no NVGs) that they ended up on the opposite side of a major highway about a kilometer outside the training area.

He was a second lieutenant...who was a prior enlisted sergeant.
View Quote

Chesty puller could pin on a butter bar and would regularly be lost…
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the night field problems I can remember, if you have a radio on your back with an antenna and I can see it 30 meters away, we are talking, 90-100% illume. Full moon and you are standing in a field.  Firstly, a radio isnt put on your back, it will be in a normal backpack, so if I can see your handset (telephony looking device) mounted on your shoulder, and antenna, it is freaking BRIGHT. Or I have NODs.
At 30 meters you might hear a radio, or see the movement of a hand to the side of someones face...radio like activity.

If I can see that, I can see your helmets, and weapons, like AK47 vs M4.  Chance of frat is zero.

IF I can see that and you cant see me at all, you are blind and dumb, and my obviously you are going to get shot.

If you can see radios you have seconds before they see you, and this isnt really much more then chance contact. you have seconds, IMHO, to find a tree and get behind cover.

Id say, maybe a normal night, average illume, if my NODs are on.

Generally a big backpack radio isn't squad equipment, FWIW.

Very doable with NVGs...but its pretty hard to confirm nobody on the other time has NVGs, and in the year of our lord 2022 someone probably has.  You cant assume otherwise.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top