Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm trying to get into wine after a friend gifted me a bottle of stuff he makes.  He gave me a bottle of cherry berry red wine and it was great.  

I'm trying to keep under $10 a bottle.  I bought a few to try and I like Arbor Mist blackberry Merlot but I hated the wild Irish rose.

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to the suggestions of Dom Perignon from the 1800s.  
View Quote

Try Roscato. My wife loves it. Its about the only wine I will drink enough of to get drunk.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't drink a lot of wine, but we always get a few bottles of the '3 buck chuck' selection at Trader Joe's. 10% off if you fill a case.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Im no wine expert by a long fucking shot . From what ive gathered from skimming over your OP im thinking you should try some Moscato . Its pretty damn good actually. Muscadine and Scuppernong wines are fucking awesome as well . Good luck .
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Cheese, you definitely need cheese too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm trying to get into wine after a friend gifted me a bottle of stuff he makes.  He gave me a bottle of cherry berry red wine and it was great.  

I'm trying to keep under $10 a bottle.  I bought a few to try and I like Arbor Mist blackberry Merlot but I hated the wild Irish rose.

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to the suggestions of Dom Perignon from the 1800s.  
View Quote

Sounds like you like some sweeter wines OP

Start slow. Look at some Rieslings and Niagaras for whites.

Lambrusco for Reds.

Then start progressing from there.

I wasn’t a big wine guy but my wife has slowly converted me and I drink pretty much anything now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having not drank so much as a beer in 9 years, I decided to try Wine.
Reading all the hoidydoidy horse shit about sniffing, letting breath, swirling and palate  in the Booze section here, I endevoured to find atleast one $10 and up bottle that I liked.
I have yet to find that bottle.

There are two open bottles in the fridge right now that I am going to dump together just to try and get it down somehow.

Why the Wine fucks think their shit is better than the Wiskey or Beer fucks I'll never know.
View Quote

I have been a sommelier for 12 years, I drink whiskey and beer almost exclusively these days.

I sniff wine thank you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Pick up a case or two of this.  If you don't like it I'll be happy to pay you 1/2 price:

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pick up a case or two of this.  If you don't like it I'll be happy to pay you 1/2 price:

http://i.imgur.com/RTVi3qMl.jpg
View Quote

LULZ

even with all the millionaires on this board, not many have had Latour. You ain't buying a case unless you get lucky AF, and have a hook up(current release).
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Find someplace like total wine.  Try wine direct wines.  Try something from Spain around $8 a bottle. You Are Welcome.

My table wine is a Tempranillo.  Very drinkable and inexpensive for a varietal.

Wine is like ammo. Find something you like in your range.  Buy it cheap and stack it deep.  I buy two cases at a time when they have sales.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
wine = tastes like crap.
View Quote

All the wine I've ever had tasted awful (granted I've not tried a great lot because who wants to waste money on something that you find repulsive). I've found that the stuff is only good for cooking with.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
We enjoy this wine from France.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Nice, great wine!

Tried an 87 Cheval Blanc a couple years ago, it was dust though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LULZ

even with all the millionaires on this board, not many have had Latour. You ain't buying a case unless you get lucky AF, and have a hook up(current release).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/RTVi3qMl.jpg

LULZ

It was simply Bordeaux perfection.  Squirreled away years ago and uncorked it for my son's 30th.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It was simply Bordeaux perfection.  Squirreled away years ago and uncorked it for my son's 30th.
View Quote

Can we be friends?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
wine = tastes like crap.
View Quote

This.  Every one I have tried tasted like crap.  I keep giving it a try and I keep being disappointed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Find someplace like total wine.  Try wine direct wines.  Try something from Spain around $8 a bottle. You Are Welcome.

Wine is like ammo. Find something you like in your range.  Buy it cheap and stack it deep.  I buy two cases at a time when they have sales.
View Quote
I think if I stacked deep what I liked I wouldn't live it down on here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LULZ

View Quote

That reminds me of a book I read a ways back 'Billionaires Vinegar' I think. All about the levels of fakery within the high end wine business. One guy seemed to be a major player in that field, Rodenstock?

I worked at a restaurant where the GM would soak the labels off of high end bottles, and glue them to cheaper bottles, and pocket the profit.

ETA Rodenstock was correct https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy_Rodenstock
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#19]
American Niagra is a white wine that actually tastes more like grape juice than most wines.  You can really taste the grapes in it.  I'm usually a fan of dry red wines, but I find American Niagra very interesting.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That reminds me of a book I read a ways back 'Billionaires Vinegar' I think. All about the levels of fakery within the high end wine business. One guy seemed to be a major player in that field, Rodenstock?

I worked at a restaurant where the GM would soak the labels off of high end bottles, and glue them to cheaper bottles, and pocket the profit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LULZ

Like most products, price does not reflect quality.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, don’t post it here and go on with your life and drink good red.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can we be friends?
View Quote

My Latour is gone. I have no friends...........

Incidentally, My best friend for over 50 years was a wine salesman for a major distributor.  Our numerous camping/hunting trips included numerous "Samples" from the warehouse.  I got really spoiled.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#24]
If wine is all made from grapes and yeast, what is really the difference between them.  Is it a specific strains of yeast that differentiate them?  If I aged a $5 gas station bottle of wine in the mystical inner cellars of Gandoon for 100 years will if then transform into a $2000 bottle?  Serious questions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Red Blends are our favorite.... no tannin's, most of them are not sickly sweet, but you can find those if that suits you.

In your price point, I would suggest any of the Apothic line.... one of my favorite daily dinner wines and it's nice that many places carry it, (CVS, Safeway, Wally World, etc.), Witching Hour red label is another favorite, but you should also try the white label... Rare Red is damn good, too. A good red or white is Meomi. I'd have to go through our wine fridges to give you a solid list of reds and whites.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't mind spending more but if I need to sample 100 bottles before I get a beginners understanding then it becomes too much.  I have a wine shop in mind in spring hill I think I'll check out.  Again, thank you!
View Quote

If you ever make it to west Nashville/Bellevue you should stop in at Red Liquors & Wines. They are very knowledgeable about wines there, always have tastings, and ‘Denny the Wine Snob’ is like the Sheldon Cooper of wines.

He was on a crusade a few years ago to get Nashville to drink more Italian reds, saying how different but delicious they are, since the price of both French and California reds was going up. Don’t be afraid to go in there and pick a few brains, that’s how I learned the most.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Another good movie is sideways a good story
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Wine. Wonderful stuff to drink.

Terrible stuff to wake up to a hangover.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Do yourself a favour and spend more than $10/bottle if you’re actually trying to get into wine.

Vivino is a good app to download. You take a picture of the label and it’ll show you tasting notes, avg price etc, which helps you learn and keep track of what you like.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Make your own, it's not rocket surgery.  Use his recipe, scale up or down as needed.  Fruit juice, sugar, yeast.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have several bottles of 1976 Dom Perignon in the wine cellar - if you have deep pockets.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#32]
You guys are awesome and those that aren't helpful are at least funny and that's what I appreciates about ya.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have been a sommelier for 12 years, I drink whiskey and beer almost exclusively these days.

I sniff wine thank you.
View Quote
One of our vendors just emailed me yesterday. They're setting us up with a wine tasting since we can't do happy hours. They have a master sommelier who's going to walk us through understanding wines. Apparently they're going to send us a couple of bottles (I presume unmarked) along with some cheese/crackers. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Look around for a wine tasting class. Something with 2-4 tasting sessions.  You'll learn a lot and you'll figure out what you like and what you don't.

12 years ago my wife and I signed up for one hosted by a wine distributor.  They were dead serious about their wine - but they had us tasting everything from $50 bottles to $5 bottles.  One day was nothing but how to find good wine for cheap.

In a pinch - go to Trader Joe's and look for bottles with "We recommend" labels hanging from the shelf.  Find a few in your price range.  

The wines you mentioned are pretty sweet - so you may want to avoid "dry" (aka not-sweet) wines at first.

Funny story - about a year after that wine class I developed a serious sulfite allergy (more than a sip or two and I have asthma for 3 weeks as it works its way out of my system) . . so I started making my own German style apple wine.  I let it ferment out totally dry so that I don't have to use sulfites.  In Germany, about a third of the people who drink this stuff (they drink it in apple wine bars) will add Sprite to sweeten it up.  It's probably the easiest home brewing you can possibly do.  Buy 5 gallons of grocery store apple juice, a packet of wine yeast and a few pounds of dextrose and you'll have 5 gallons of 8% easy drinking dry white wine.  Check it out:  https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/man-i-love-apfelwein.14860/
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Boons farm, strawberry hill with kraft singles pair well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Find several you like then stock 'em in when you find them at a good price.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You guys are awesome and those that aren't helpful are at least funny and that's what I appreciates about ya.
View Quote

For $10...? Try the Mina a Trios Silk red blend. Just about everywhere has it. Google it to see the label. Then you’ll know what to look for.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Wine is proof that God hates us and wants us to be pestered by obnoxious know-it-alls.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#39]
St. James
Velvet Red
Sweet mild red $6-$7 bottle
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wine is proof that God hates us and wants us to be pestered by obnoxious know-it-alls.
View Quote

A cry of ignorance.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A cry of ignorance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A cry of ignorance.

Considering that it is a witty play on a quote of Ben Franklin translated from French, I'm not sure how ignorant is is.

"“We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana, as of a miracle.  But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes.  Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy!”"
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Having this right now, and it's really good for $11. The oak isn't too strong, but has a nice spiciness to it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Medium to full bodied reds are my favorite, DOCG followed by DOC and you will be okay.

Mark your bottles by price with a paint pen. No reason to drink a $50+ bottle of wine after you’ve been drinking a few glasses. Most days, I start with $30-40 bottles and finish up with $5-10 bottles.

Im not rich and I’m currently unemployed but have cases of $100+ bottles of wine cause it’s good $hit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#44]
I like shiraz and red zin.
Super cheap try yellowtail and botabox for brands. Trader joes used to be famous for cheap wine
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Lightnin' Hopkins-Wine Spodee-O-Dee

Turn it up...
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#46]
When I first started drinking wine I found I liked Shiraz which is on the spicy side but not a lot of tannins.   One recommendation is seek out a Total Wine if they have these by you, their prices can’t be beat.  

For a white we like Fetzer  Gwertzaminer. It’s a nice off sweet white that is easy Drinking and pretty widely liked by many friends who have tried it.  This wine is just over $5 a bottle at Total Wine and a great crowd pleaser.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
wine = tastes like crap.
View Quote

Wrong
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
like sweet stay at 9% if you like not so sweet 12%

Go to local winiers and do tastings to get an idea on different wines

Also oak leaf from wally world is a cheaper alternative, that is what I take when we go camping, just grab a misc case, after 1st bottle no one cares
View Quote

Just call them vintners, not "winiers".
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#49]
You will never “get into” wine unless it’s rated.
It makes a huge difference. There is a reason the are so few wines that get a 100 point rating.
Yes.. absolutely it is subjective.
However, the disparity between the top 10%ish and everything else is mind blowing. Espically that last 3%-4%.

I never acquired the taste buds to really appreciate the subtle nuances at the upper 2% or so of wines, and I was given the opportunity to drink some of the most revered wine on the planet on a regular basis for several years. Some of it..Crazy shit...that now sells for $20k+ a bottle.
Matter of fact. My wine benefactor recently noted to someone else that he and I Personally drank over a million dollars in wine @ today’s prices. Over a 13 year period At the time it was only several hundred to a few thousand a bottle. He had at one time 12k bottles of the top 4% one could acquire.

So..what did learn from what you might think is a huge wine snob ?
First and foremost. Drink what you like. Fuck what everyone else says. You like it. Enjoy it.
Fine wine is a journey all it’s own with many roads.
True wine snobs never fuck up spectacular wine with food. You sit around a discuss the subtle changes as it changes Over the next couple hours into something completely different than what you started with.

Wine and food:
fuck everyone. Drink what you like.
Only one generalization...strong food=strong wine. Light food=light wine. One should never over power the other. Unless you like it that way !

Get a couple books on the nuances Of wine that has the taste wheel In it for a reference and Move up and down the quality scale. It will take awhile but all of a sudden it will click and you will start to notice the changes as the wine warms up and oxidises.

Best wishes. It’s an interesting journey.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#50]
The $10 price target is going to be difficult.  The only decent one I've tasted in that price range over the past year has been the "14 Hands" brand (ETA: $7-8 if you shop around).  There are a couple varieties.  It's a blended red table wine.

If you're willing to up the price to $15 and shop at Costco, there will probably be some good choices.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top