Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 43
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I got to say, Gentlemen, that youtube is becoming more and more uncooperative. It's getting harder to check out videos while leaving only a small trace behind. Work "arounds" are getting tougher to figure out!! Apologies, but this thread isn't ready for oblivion just yet; it's just taking me longer to check out the links first then post.

Today we do a band called Styx. Granted, not a favorite of mine as I didn't understand them back in the '70s, and they still don't make sense to me now.

They called themselves a "progressive rock" Band with an emphasis on Rock! I could never pick up on that. Still can't.

To me, Styx was always a performance band by the time I heard of them with their second album. They bordered on "pop" stylings, but their songs were way too long for AM radio. It was never a case that the music was crappy. It never was and still isn't. When Disco infected and contaminated American Rock, Styx become even more pop oriented bordering on Broadway Show Tunes. I understand them wanting to make money. You can only ride the wave, when the wave is there. But, you can be kind and throw the minority of us a bone from time to time musically.

By "performance" band, I mean this was a band you need to see Live at a performance. That's where it all comes together, but they still weren't anywhere near, ELP or Genesis or any of the other Progressive Rock bands of the time, and they certainly were not even remotely similar to the Jazz Fusion guys like Return to Forever.
So, from a purely theoretical/song construction stand point, I simply never understood Styx from their stated goal compared to what they produced.

We're going to start with their second album, "Styx II", and then head to the "Pieces of Eight" album which to me is the closest thing to the progressive genre Styx did. It's also the last thing that could resemble progressive rock that Styx did.

Styx II - 1972

Side 1
1  You Need Love
2  Lady
3  A Day
4  You Better Ask

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Styx, the first album, was mostly cover songs of heavy rock and progressive rock bands with one or two original songs by Dennis de Young. Not a bad album as they had some really interesting takes on the songs chosen. They made the songs their own and uniquely successfully in my opinion.

Side 2
1  Little Fugue in G
2  Father O.S.A.
3  Earl of Roseland
4  I'm Gonna Make You Feel It

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
So, we jump ahead to 1978 to Pieces of Eight. This is probably the most "progressiv-ist" ( I hate making up words to describe things; that's what commies do, and I am not nor have I ever been a communist, Senator) that Styx ever was.

Tommy Shaw joined Styx 1.5 albums before hand when the original guitarist, James Young, left the band. Mr. Shaw was announced as a rocker! Debatable point. Great Guitarist and song writer though.
It should also be mentioned that Styx didn't become popular until right before The Grand Illusion was released. "Lady" from their second album finally blew them up all over the airwaves around 1975-6ish. That again, proves the point that no matter how good you are, if women aren't into it, you'll never be filthy rich and famous. Which really sucks if you're good at what you do, but no chicks want to fuck you. C'est la vie!!

Pieces of Eight - 1978

Side 1
1  Great White Hope
2  I'm O.K.
3  Sing for the Day
4  The Message
5  Lords of the Ring

Old ladies who look like Hitler:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Styx always struck me as a band that wanted to do what The Who did with Townsend's Rock Operas more than anything else.

Your typical progressive rock band does more than just a "concept" album. It's beyond that simple definition. Previously, on an earlier episode, I described Jazz as a musical "food processor": sounds go in, go through hell, but then they eventually return.

Progressive Rock is similar, but entirely different. Sounds go in, but only God knows how it will all end. You might not hear a return to a song's theme, riff, melody, phrasing etc. until a couple of songs later on the album. You really have to pay attention. For some of you, that's really going to "harsh your buzz" which is believe is the correct vernacular in your patois. (and I haven't even started drinking!!!)

Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 3:37:31 AM EDT
[#5]
BAKER STREET - GERRY RAFFERTY - (1978)
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Yi762sQTo
View Quote
Excellent choice, amigo!
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hbilly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9sY-kwa6RE
View Quote
I've got to say, hbilly, even though Bob Weir isn't as good a singer as Derek St. Holmes or Charlie Hunh or Ronnie James Dio, he's still in my top Five all time Best! The man can sing a song!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
I've got to say, hbilly, even though Bob Weir isn't as good a singer as Derek St. Holmes or Charlie Hunh or Ronnie James Dio, he's still in my top Five all time Best! The man can sing a song!
View Quote

High Time (Live Boston Music Hall, Boston 6/9/1976)

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By hbilly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iobelATrpx8

View Quote
Wow! That first chorus when the backing vocals come in...sounded like Linda McCartney joined in! Second chorus, much better. Everybody calmed down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Let's do us some Super Tramp today.

English band that was originally billed as a progressive rock band. ?? and ? Their first two albums went pfffft. I've heard the second one, and I was thinking of posting one song from it to show the difference in sound and arrangement from the 2nd and 3rd album (we're doing the 3rd today), but then I remembered it was a topless woman with nipples of all things on the cover. So...never mind, just take my word for it!!!

Musically, Crime of the Century was a departure or new direction in how the band would sound from now on out. Still not progressive rock though. It's more like if The Hollies had listened to a lot of Humble Pie songs.

In any event, not a bad album and the next few albums would also be not bad as well. The only thing about Super Tramp that ever grated on my nerves, as it were, was that Wurlitzer Electric Piano. (couldn't find the vomiting one)

Whatever their sound is/was Queen would be even bigger at it and Frankie Goes to Hollywood would be even bigger than that. Maybe we can call it the "English Las Vegas Act" genre?

Crime of the Century - 1974

Side 1
1  School
2  Bloody Well Right
3  Hide in Your Shell
4  Asylum
School - Supertramp (HQ Audio)
Supertramp ~ Hide In Your Shell ~ Crime Of The Century (HQ Audio)

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
(Anyone else using a VPN having problems with youtube videos?)

Side 2
1  Dreamer
2  Rudy
3  If Everyone was Listening
4  Crime of the Century
Supertramp - If Everyone Was Listening (Audio)
Supertramp ~ Crime Of The Century (HQ Audio)

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#12]
We've had a couple of weeks of rock bands who, for whatever reason, were described as "progressive rock." Being that this sort of thing is subjective to begin with, plus the people involved want to make money at it so then can continue to experiment musically and eat at the same time, let's go with the "line is blurry" at best giving everyone the benefit of a doubt. This isn't like it's Punk music where the "incorrect" or unpopular opinion will get you stabbed or hit with a motorcycle chain. Nope, this genre of rock is populated by fairly nice people compared to some punk music people who you wouldn't even want to be seen at a dog fight with as that's just way too embarrassing.

U.K. was sort of an ultimate Prog Rock band. The members were practically royalty in that genre. We've covered all of them from other bands and will do so again in future posts. These guys moved from one project to the next more interested in what can be created with others than maximizing record sales. I give you U.K.

U.K. - 1978

Side 1
1  In the Dead of Night
2  By the Light of Day
3  Presto Vivace and Reprise
4  Thirty Years

UK - In the Dead of the Night - Studio Version
U.K. - 02 - By The Light Of Day
U.K. - Presto Vivace And Reprise
U.K. - Presto Vivace And Reprise

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#13]
So what broke them up etc, is still called "creative differences." What that means is short radio friendly songs versus longer songs that take a commitment from the audience. (Essentially the difference between women for the former and men for the latter.)

It's much easier to do pop songs then anything else. No one needs to be impressed with the lyrical content or amazed at the structure of the song or impressed with how the actual sounds were all put together without sounding like muddy crap.
Nope. None of that is needed. Just something short and bright with a very simple hook and five understandable words in the chorus, plus a subtext about sex, and women will like it until the next shiny thing comes up.

Remember the underwear gnomes from South Park?
Attachment Attached File

We now know what the question mark means here.

Side 2
1  Alaska
2  Time to Kill
3  Nevermore
4  Mental Medication

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Last thing for the day. I learned a lot from a DJ named Greg Stone on KOME in San Jose in the last '70s. His Sunday radio show was called Stone Trek.  It was originally on from 8 PM to Midnight, but because sometimes he would toke up on air, he got shortened by an hour, 9 to Midnight.

Sunday nights for me were Dr. Demento, Firesign Theatre and Stone Trek. Those were great days, Bros.
Attachment Attached File

I failed to find archived shows from KOME, but somebody on youtube put some archived shows up from the radio station that took over KOME:
Greg Stone Tribute

It's a bit more sedate of a show than KOME's broadcasts, but the  music is still great. Please to enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]
This is one of a handfull of bands that I have dreaded doing, but they were huge (still are actually) back then.

Foreigner

There. I said it.
I never bought an album of their. They were pretty much ubiquitous on the radio waves and in hockey stadiums, outdoor stadiums and California Jam II, plus every single High School that occured, one of the first two albums was played guaranteed. It was almost like it was mandated by a local ordinance. I didn't hate them or anything like that.

Truth be told, at the parties when their songs came up, my and the boys would jump into the middle of the room and sing thus impressing the womenfolk in attendance. Well, that's what the game-plan was in any event.

Foreigner was a commercial juggernaut right from the get go: well-produced well-crafted songs played by much-better-than-competent musicians and a great vocalist with lyrical subject matter that was guaranteed to have mass appeal. Not my favorite!! But much better than Menudo.

I was actually being serious witht the Menudo juxtaposition. In the '80s there was the "Boy Band" phenomena. Menudo started that first. Without having the words or the vision or even the where-with-all, I subconsciously put Foreigner in that type of pigeonhole that I had no name for. Here's an advsiory note: That's just like my opinion, man.
Attachment Attached File

Foreigner - 1977

Side 1
1  Feels Like the First Time
2  Cold as Ice
3  Starrider
4  Headknocker
5  The Damage Is Done

Foreigner - Feels Like The First Time (Official Music Video)
Foreigner - Cold As Ice (Official Music Video)

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Side 2
1  Long, Long Way from Home
2  Woman Oh Woman
3  At War with the World
4  Fool for You Anyway
5  I Need You

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Ladies, right now I'm in this mood:
Planet Caravan (2012 - Remaster)

I'm working towards this mood:

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#18]
This Week, I give you Foghat!!

Another Rock n Roll Band that was astronomically Popular. I'm pretty sure every album put out in the '70s went at least Gold with in the same year issued with two going Platinum. (I'll check and ETA if I'm wrong.)

From my point of view, the coolest thing they did was "slide guitar" as both rhythm and lead. Lots of friends made jokes about the "kings of power chords", so there was that.

They were talented musicians without question; they had access to top notch producers right from the beginning; they were pretty much the distilled essence of Rock n Roll to be honest. Yet, they never floated my boat. Never bought an album, nor went to a specifically Foghat concert.

For me, and this is just for me, they were in the same category as Kansas and Foreigner: talent, ability, no shitty in any way, immensely popular with the masses who supported them, but for some reason, they never broke into my favorites. That's my problem! I've learned to live it.

Foghat was a big chunk and important chunk of the '70s soundscape!
We're going to do their first album today, the first self titled album, "Foghat." (Their next album would also be called "Foghat," but we're dong the first "Foghat.")
If you look at all their songs in total, they did a lot of Blues and Rock n Roll covers sprinkled with originals. When they got to Fool For the City, that definitely went the other way with mostly originals sprinkled with blues or Rock n Roll covers. Confidence in their abilities is something that you get from experience! And they became even bigger than before. (But the stain of Disco was coming for everyone equally!!!!)

Foghat - 1972

Side 1
1  I Just Want to Make Love to You
2  Trouble Trouble
3  Leavin' Again (Again!)
4  Fool's Hall of Fame
5  Sarah Lee

I Just Want to Make Love to You (2016 Remaster)
Trouble, Trouble (2016 Remaster)
Leavin' Again (Again) (2016 Remaster)

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Foghat was made up of Englishmen. They formed in New York City, not England. Most of them came from Savoy Brown. (There are a number of '70s releases that we will choose from later.)
The first thing that struck me about Foghat was how much they sounded like a New York band, and it blew my little mind at the time to find out they were English. (Tom Petty and his band also fooled me. First picture I saw of them in their hats and leather pants and what looked like women's blouses, Rickenbackers, and not really very masculine hair styles, I thought they were English. Turns out Florida is nowhere near England. I went to a public school, and sometimes it shows.) But, I digress.

They had that New York "in your face" vibe going pretty good, and unlike the majority of New York bands, they were, are probably the most popular New York Band ever. Vanilla Fudge and Anthrax for all their talents and abilities and the amount of influence they gave to others, they never came close to this kind of mass popularity.

Side 2
1  Highway (Killing Me)
2  Maybelline
3  A Hole to Hide In
4  Gotta Get to Know You

Highway (Killing Me) (2016 Remaster)
A Hole to Hide In (2016 Remaster)
Gotta Get to Know You (2016 Remaster)

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Rajadamnern Stadium In The Movies - 1970's
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Roger Moore, karate clip from Bond film The Man with the Golden Gun
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I saw Foghat in Cincinnati in 1975.

The band line-up was:

Aerosmith
  Blue Öyster Cult
  Styx
  REO Speedwagon
  Foghat
  Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
  Bobby Womack
  The Outlaws
  Black Oak Arkansas
  Mahogony Rush

And a good time was had by all. I still have my Foghat albums.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Santana ~ Toussaint L'Overture
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride (To Owen Coffin).wmv
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Gentlemen! Excellent posts!!!!!!

We lost a Rock n Roll semi-legend this week: Dwight Twilley from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Great musican and song writer, but bad timing ensured that his abilities wouldn't ever reach the Masses.

For many who don't know or ever heard of him, but have heard his songs, his music was a combination of Rockabilly from his time in Memphis, the Beatles from just being a fan and ELO, but thankfully without the extra drama!!!

We're doing his first album Sincerely, released in 1976, but recorded a couple of years before: No distribution agreements = No distribution. The Music Business is a business.

Sincerely - 1976

Side 1
1  I'm on Fire
2  Could Be Love
3  Feeling in the Dark
4  You Were So Warm
5  I'm Losing You
6  Sincerely
Feeling In The Dark (Remastered)
You Were So Warm (Remastered)
I'm Losing You (Remastered)

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#27]
The Dwight Twilley Band was actually two guys for recordings; then, hired touring musicians.

Side 2
1  TV
2  Release Me
3  Three Persons
4  Bably Let's Cruise
5  England
6  Just Like the Sun
Baby Let's Cruise (Remastered)
Just Like The Sun (Remastered)

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
Gentlemen! Excellent posts!!!!!!

We lost a Rock n Roll semi-legend this week: Dwight Twilley from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Great musican and song writer, but bad timing ensured that his abilities wouldn't ever reach the Masses.

For many who don't know or ever heard of him, but have heard his songs, his music was a combination of Rockabilly from his time in Memphis, the Beatles from just being a fan and ELO, but thankfully without the extra drama!!!

We're doing his first album Sincerely, released in 1976, but recorded a couple of years before: No distribution agreements = No distribution. The Music Business is a business.

Sincerely - 1976

Side 1
1  I'm on Fire
2  Could Be Love
3  Feeling in the Dark
4  You Were So Warm
5  I'm Losing You
6  Sincerely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfRi7Jrk36k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9vjjxJL9g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNjkp0jPdKw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWBuEGR9ObQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b5xfEXUlX8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7uUZD3ZRgc
View Quote

Mark Lindsay gave a nod to him at the end of his American Experience show today on XM channel 21. Another 70's artist I had heard before but had no idea who he was.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Homicidal Suicidal (2013 Remaster)

Budgie - In For The Kill - Zoom Club

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By viator:
I saw Foghat in Cincinnati in 1975.

The band line-up was:

Aerosmith
  Blue  yster Cult
  Styx
  REO Speedwagon
  Foghat
  Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
  Bobby Womack
  The Outlaws
  Black Oak Arkansas
  Mahogony Rush

And a good time was had by all. I still have my Foghat albums.
View Quote
I saw them in 76 with Head East and Montrose.

The only band on your list I didn't see at least once in 70s is Bobby Womack.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Halloween in the 1970s - Life in America
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Okey dokey, been wanting to do this one for a while. It's a joint venture between Free and Bad Company.
We're starting with Free's third album Fire and Water. It was probably Free's only successful album as they had a rough start and an even rougher finish breaking up a couple of times and one untimely death. That's all due to the usual problems young people create for themselves while the adults in the room are to busy exploiting them for their own personal gain. Sad, but true.

Here's Free:
Fire and Water - 1970

Side 1
1  Fire and Water
2  Oh I Wept
3  Remember
4  Heavy Load

Side 2
1  Mr. Big
2  Don't Say You Love Me
3  All Right Now

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#33]
The two Bands share a few members between them over the years. Bad Company is the only one that exists as of today, and they play some Free songs.

I couldn't decide which Bad Company album to high light: Bad Company or Run With The Pack. I flipped a quarter and it came up tails, so that meant Bad Company. But, then I decided to do 2 out of 3 for Safety reasons. That came up with Run With The Pack.

So, since none of you could decide, you're getting both and you're going to like it!!!!!!!!!!

Bad Company - 1974

Side 1
1  Can't Get Enough
2  Rock Steady
3  Ready for Love
4  Don't Let Me Down

Bad Company Can't Get Enough with Lyrics in Description
Bad Company Rock Steady with Lyrics in Description
Bad Company Ready For Love with Lyrics in Description
Bad Company Don't Let Me Down with Lyrics in Description

Side 2
1  Bad Company
2  The Way I Choose
3  Movin' On
4  Seagull

Bad Company Bad Company with Lyrics in Description
Bad Company The Way I Choose with Lyrics in Description
Bad Company Movin' On with Lyrics in Decsription
Bad Company Seagull with Lyrics in Description

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#34]
That was Bad Company's first release, and here's the last release they would do in the '70s. They would do one more album in the early '80s, but they would break up and reform moving in a different direction musically.

Run With The Pack - 1979

Side 1
1  Live for the Music
2  Simple Man
3  Honey Child
4  Love Me Somebody
5  Run with the Pack

Live for the Music (2017 Remaster)
Honey Child (2017 Remaster)
Love Me Somebody (2017 Remaster)
Run with the Pack (2017 Remaster)

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#35]
As mentioned above, the breakup would be after a 1982 release that didn't do well. There were a couple of reasons for the break up. The most important was that Bad Company's manager was also Led Zeppelin's manager. After John Bonham's death, he really wasn't into the "music industry any more" at least for a while.

The '80s saw a movement away from guitar sounding to keyboard synth sounding. The break up went in two directions: those that wanted to keep it guitar centric (forming The Firm) and those that wanted to be keyboard centric (remaining Bad Company.)

Side 2
1  Silver, Blue & Gold
2  Young Blood
3  Do Right by Your Woman
4  Sweet Lil' Sister
5  Fade Away

Silver, Blue & Gold (2017 Remaster)
Young Blood (2017 Remaster)
Do Right by Your Woman (2017 Remaster)
Sweet Lil' Sister (2017 Remaster)

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Happy Halloween
70s Vintage Halloween Commercials
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I agree totally
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#38]
The Weight - The Band (lyrics)

It has been posted but hey why not,great music!
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:34:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: solid] [#39]
The Weight (Remastered 2000)

Yup. Been posted but hey why the fuck not. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Yi762sQTo
View Quote

Yea, you would bring up 1978 wouldn't you.

kwg
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Those were the days! I enjoyed High School football much more than NCAA football. Sure, we were older and did far more wilder activities, but the football wasn't as fun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Today, I'd like to highlight a group we've only slightly covered with a couple of songs, I don't know, 20 mouths ago???

Anyway, an Air Force bro got very bad medical news and left CA to return to spend what time he has left with his Sisters in New Jersey. So this is for Myles.

Romantic Warrior - 1976

Side 1
1  Medieval Overture
2  Sorceress
3  The Romantic Warrior
Medieval Overture (Instrumental)
The Romantic Warrior (Instrumental)

Side 2
1  Majestic Dance
2  The Magician
3  Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant (Parts I and II)
Majestic Dance (Instrumental)
The Magician (Instrumental)
Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant ((Pt. 1 & Pt. 2) [Instrumental])

Link Posted: 11/7/2023 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#45]
13 Things from the 1970s, Kids Today Will Never Understand!
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Today, Post-Veterans Day, we can now feature Peter Gabriel, the original lead vocalist, back up percussionist and lyricist of Genesis.

Unfortunately, because neither you guys, nor I, could decide on which album to highlight, we are now focusing on Peter Gabriel's first two albums. Do Better! next time.

When we did Lamb Lies Down a long time ago, it was mentioned then that's when Gabriel left the group officially. It's a funny thing when you're young and you're "fighting for" or "defending a direction or a theme or something" in a band. Everything you think or do is so "black and white."

When you're older and you look back on it, everyone I know has almost always came to the same conclusion that "yes, there was "room" in what we do or who we say we are for "this" to have had happen.

Too late then!!! Feelings get hurt and wounds only seem to deepen in time, oddly enough. But, that's in general. Sometimes the old bastards figure it out and everyone gets along...sometimes.

Here's the first solo album called Peter Gabriel with the nick-name of Car.

Peter Grabriel - 1977 (Car)

Side 1
1  Moribund the Burgermeister
2  Solsbury Hill
3  Modern Love
4  Excuse Me
5  Humdrum

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#47]
All of his solo albums were to be simply entitled Peter Gabriel. The concept was for it to be like a magazine being issued once a year. The albums weren't "issued" once a year, and they started just being nick-named after the album cover (all done by Hipgnosis by the way.)

Side 2
1  Slowburn
2  Waiting for the Big One
3  Down the Dolce Vita
4  Here Comes the Flood

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I can't tell you if any of his first solo albums were concept albums. I only ever looked at them as the medium of some stories he was trying to tell. You can tell he was very interested in what's called "World Music." He even started an organization called WOMAD to promote World Music. (?) Not sure what that means!

You can "expose" people to different types of music, but they're under no obligation to even like it. Now, there are "white" people who believe that their culture, etc. is built/taken/stolen on other cultures or from other cultures, and ergo they (white people) have no indigenous culture of their own. Such retards do exist, and they do form bands and then record music sometimes becoming popular and just sharing their brand of insufferability with the rest of us. No, thank you!

I don't think Peter Gabriel is one of these; I just think he likes music and was looking for a formal way to share that.

Peter Gabriel - 1978 (Scratch)

Side 1
1  On the Air
2  D.I.Y.
3  Mother of Violence
4  A Wonderful Day in a One-Way World
5  White Shadow
A Wonderful Day In A One-Way World

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Interestingly enough, Peter Gabriel's biggest selling album, So (1986), was about sex!! Everybody seemed to grasped that no mater how well hidden that theme was presented.

Side 2
1  Indigo
2  Animal Magic
3  Exposure
4  Flotsam and Jetsam
5  Perspective
6  Home Sweet Home

Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top