User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just walk in places and say "ere! Whats all this then!"

On a related note it dosent matter how much Hi-Vis you wear the average American driver will still try to kill you or drive his car right into the back of the giant yellow excavator with the strobe lights.
View Quote

A school bus is one of the bigger types of vehicles on the road.  Certainy bigger than your average family hauler.  With lights that compare in size with dinner plates.  And yet someone could drive around the flattest part of TX and rear-end it, while it was flashing said dinner plate lights, without another vehicle or building within eyesight.  Boggles the mind.

It's something I always think about when people assume flashing lights is good.  I recall reading a study where it subconsciously draws us in.  Makes sense, flashing makes you look, you tend to steer towards where you look.  Hence "look where you want to go, not at what you are trying to avoid."
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I hope to finish my career without ever needing to test out just how good my FR clothing is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.

I hope to finish my career without ever needing to test out just how good my FR clothing is.

Yup I work in substations. If my FR gear ever gets tested that’s a bad fucken day.
Especially my 40 cal switching suit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi vis works because it's unusual in the environment.  Well now everthing and everyone is Hi Vis "for safety" so now we are heading back to normal vis again...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
feet on the street, vest on the chest
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If the "homeless" panhandlers around here are wearing it, it's not too expensive.  Your going to the wrong place to purchase it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My buddy calls it "slave yellow."
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I had to buy my own safety gear.

Ear protection,gloves and outerwear.
Went through them all in a year do I was always buying new stuff.

Year after I was gone they started buying everything.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If the "homeless" panhandlers around here are wearing it, it's not too expensive.  Your going to the wrong place to purchase it.
View Quote
City got a grant to give the (homeless) safety gear. Ie vests,coats,hats and gloves
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi vis works because it's unusual in the environment.  Well now everthing and everyone is Hi Vis "for safety" so now we are heading back to normal vis again...
View Quote

Observational only, motorcycles used to stand out more when they were the only vehicles that were wired for always on headlights.  Now that most cars have DRLs, I don't see them stand out as much.

Also, your statement reminds me of looking at ammo on the shelf, now the ammo in plain boxes stand out, rather than the ones in fancy colored/pattered boxes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the main reason many places are making us crane guys wear a different colored vest from the steelworkers, pipe fitters and scaffolding guys. It's easier to pick out the rigger calling the load from the sea of yellow (or orange) vests.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A school bus is one of the bigger types of vehicles on the road.  Certainy bigger than your average family hauler.  With lights that compare in size with dinner plates.  And yet someone could drive around the flattest part of TX and rear-end it, while it was flashing said dinner plate lights, without another vehicle or building within eyesight.  Boggles the mind.

It's something I always think about when people assume flashing lights is good.  I recall reading a study where it subconsciously draws us in.  Makes sense, flashing makes you look, you tend to steer towards where you look.  Hence "look where you want to go, not at what you are trying to avoid."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just walk in places and say "ere! Whats all this then!"

On a related note it dosent matter how much Hi-Vis you wear the average American driver will still try to kill you or drive his car right into the back of the giant yellow excavator with the strobe lights.

What is especially bad is LEO vehicles with blue strobes, usually set on high brightness, and hi speed flash, at night.
The blue light frequency is designed to intentionally confuse your eyes, "to force drivers to slow down more".
Instead, they are blinding and dis-orienting, thus making it much easier to drive right into the cop car / wreck, whatever.

Years ago, California did a traffic study that proved that a cruiser parked on the side of the road, without lights, caused less wrecks, collisions, traffic disruption, ie 'rubberneckers' than fully lit up cruisers.

The really bad news is that LEO's working the incident think they are 'safe' because of all the flashing lights, which makes all people on foot basically invisible to a blinded driver.

To all LEO's - I can see your fucking blue strobes from a mile away. I know you are there. Now dim them, slow them so I can see to avoid you.

ETA - to the OP - sorry for the hi-jack / rant.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.
View Quote

This....and then the tools for Arc Flash use !
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Absolute ripoff. The same hoodie in blue or another color is $50 or so, with some reflective material and bright yellow dye, it's well over $200.00. Don't mind paying extra for the extra work and material but that damn well isn't another $150 bucks worth of anything and it's not like the quality of anything on it to include the zipper is better.

Sheesh...........
View Quote

You must suck at shopping if you pay $200.

Carhart hivis $80

Uline jacket $50

Hivis supply pullover hoody $33

Carhart blaze orange sweatshirt $30

Those are just a couple quick examples, there are many more...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Back when my job required FR clothing, my employer paid for it. That stuff can get quite expensive. The best was when I worked in Canada and had to get new steel toed boots and helmet since my stuff was not CSA approved
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Carhart hivis $80

Uline jacket $50

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolute ripoff. The same hoodie in blue or another color is $50 or so, with some reflective material and bright yellow dye, it's well over $200.00. Don't mind paying extra for the extra work and material but that damn well isn't another $150 bucks worth of anything and it's not like the quality of anything on it to include the zipper is better.

Sheesh...........

Carhart hivis $80

Uline jacket $50

That have to have the company ID/logo on them and that is the issue. Plus, we can only spend out allowance with the company they choose. I will say they dumped the last company because they kept jacking prices up. A shirt I was originally buying for $18 or so was $35 a couple years later.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sheesh...........
View Quote

No injuries on job sites before it was required
Required to wear it and I am still here
Jury is still out on whether this is because of the safety vest or some other reason
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We get a clothing allowance which was decently generous right up until Hi Vis started to be required. For the newer guys, a couple Hi Vis sweatshirts can wipe out most of their clothing allowance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh...........

Your employer should be providing all safety equipment and clothing.
Mine Does

We get a clothing allowance which was decently generous right up until Hi Vis started to be required. For the newer guys, a couple Hi Vis sweatshirts can wipe out most of their clothing allowance.

If it's required, company should pay.
We are supplied everything from gloves/safety glasses to hi-vis wear and rain gear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Once everybody and everything is hi vis, nobody and nothing will be visible.

View Quote
[management]Agreed.  So, let us go forward with a commitment to focus on everything.[/management]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My buddy calls it "slave yellow."
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Call it "tactical" and add another $100.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm still dumbfounded that the guy purposefully larps as LE by wearing a police jacket, then jokes that others are stupid for thinking he's a cop.

Trying to wrap my brain around that one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Got one of these years ago

https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/5/594580_ts.jpg

It’s too much fun.

People think I am a cop!  Call me “officer” and everything.

Funny how few realize it’s a UK police jacket.
View Quote

You wear a jacket that says police on it?

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.

We get burned all the time and either require patches  on the holes from the burns or after awhile just get all new uniforms if they have enough or big enough.

They burns suck but definitely 1000% better than entirely lighting up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That have to have the company ID/logo on them and that is the issue. Plus, we can only spend out allowance with the company they choose. I will say they dumped the last company because they kept jacking prices up. A shirt I was originally buying for $18 or so was $35 a couple years later.
View Quote

So the problem isn't the price of hi-viz clothing, its that your employer is retarded ( company logos) and getting fucked by their "mandatory supplier" who keeps raising the price.

I had a previous employer who gave out company logo hi viz t-shirts almost monthly and sweatshirts once a year, and occasionally a hi viz raincoat or a carhartt with the company name/logo embroidered on the chest.
I work for a direct competitor these days and wear a logo'd shirt/sweatshirt from my previous company almost every day. At some point I figure management will give me a couple shirts just to stop seeing the other company's shirts on their job as often.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Hi-viz gear is expensive.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got one of these years ago

https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/5/594580_ts.jpg

It’s too much fun.

People think I am a cop!  Call me “officer” and everything.

Funny how few realize it’s a UK police jacket.
View Quote

Related to this guy?

The cops IMMEDIATELY regretted selling him one of their cars

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.
View Quote

Yeah. I asked the safety bitch a question way back in 1994 when they were derping FR. It was concerning my head looking like a burnt match in the event of fire since there was no head protection. Deer in the headlights from her. Balaclavas became available about 2010. It’s about protecting corporate, not you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So the problem isn't the price of hi-viz clothing, its that your employer is retarded ( company logos) and getting fucked by their "mandatory supplier" who keeps raising the price.

I had a previous employer who gave out company logo hi viz t-shirts almost monthly and sweatshirts once a year, and occasionally a hi viz raincoat or a carhartt with the company name/logo embroidered on the chest.
I work for a direct competitor these days and wear a logo'd shirt/sweatshirt from my previous company almost every day. At some point I figure management will give me a couple shirts just to stop seeing the other company's shirts on their job as often.  
View Quote
My previous companies (and many customers) gave out free stuff with company logos on them, the new company sells stuff with their logo on it. I wear the old stuff all the time, haven't purchased anything from the new company, I'm not paying to represent/advertise for them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don’t get the SG hate, they honour backorders, and during the last panic they were one of the most reasonably priced outfits for ammo.
View Quote
Fucking morons sent me the (obviously)wrong ammo. “Sorry, no returns on ammo.” Fuck those ass hats with a chainsaw dipped in aids.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I was once told that nothing says “I’ve got a GED” like wearing a hi-viz vest.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Your company is either ripping you off then or is partnered with a shitty company for hi-vis gear. I do sales of safety gear for a major company that is a supplier of this type of work wear, and I can tell you it's not nearly as expensive as you guys are saying. My guess is either your company is giving an "allowance" and then marking it way up through their procurement system to appear to be giving you more but they really aren't (very common) or they are partnered with uline for this gear.
View Quote

Had a safety nazi give me shit for not buying "approved boots" from their list of vendors.
Apparently mil surplus linesman's boots with demonstrated ANSI rated steel toes, were not as good as whatever overpriced made in china shit they were shilling.

Six months later, the safety nazi had moved to greener pastures. I'm still using the same boots.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top