Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
SCAR rifle , developed early 2000's feels dated to a rifle designed in the 60's ?

(LOL)
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I can see that.  For what you have to pay, I'll pass everytime.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I enjoy my scars. I'm gonna suppress my 17 here soon when my 7.62 RC2 finally gets out of jail. And I just sbrd my 16 with a factory 10.5 barrel that I shoot usually with an m4-2000 can installed. Not worried. Everyone blows the suppressor bs out of proportion. Run a good can with low back pressure and forget about it. You should be able to service your own weapons anyway.

I think they're sweet and haven't shot an AR in months.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]

I shot my M4 “clone” at the range.

It’s a pre-sunset upper.

It has a regular FSB but no bayonet lug.

Pinned muzzle brake.

Detachable carry handle.

KAC RAS

Neighbors were looking at me like just crawled out of a time capsule.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh, the SCAR copied the AR on just about everything except the charging handle and stock. They even used the same shitty design for bolt catch/release.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Awwww hell naw!!!!  Love my 17!!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ARX's are also worth getting.  My only complaint is it's a bit gassy suppressed with the open left side venting gas towards my face.
View Quote

If they made the 10.5" 300 blk barrels they planned to it would have been awesome.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]
a time where the girls wore chokers, hip hugger boot cut jeans, and halter tops

YES!!  can we go back to those times?
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What?!?!?!?!?!   Then GD MUST hate it, GD hates every gun with a piston!!!
View Quote

You're confusing old with hate.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Uh, the SCAR copied the AR on just about everything except the charging handle and stock. They even used the same shitty design for bolt catch/release.
View Quote

Pretty sure the bolt catch and safety is similar on purpose, otherwise they are very different.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I get the different flavors of ice cream but I just don’t see the point to SCARS and Tavors when the AR does everything better and less expensively. They do look cool though.
View Quote

Pretty sure my 20S is gonna do a better job at throwing 7.62 bullets at 1k than my ARs will
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't own a scar, but I wish they would put beer in the vending machine at work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I own a SCAR. It feels very dated to use and shoot compared to an AR. I can't really describe it but just holding a SCAR feels like its 1998 and I can get a beer from a vending machine at a junkyard for 80 cents. Intellectually I know that is false but somehow a good AR just feels more modern.

I don't own a scar, but I wish they would put beer in the vending machine at work.

They do in Germany
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah dog the are camo out in like 2007
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pretty sure the bolt catch and safety is similar on purpose, otherwise they are very different.
View Quote

See this is where I gotta disagree. But then, I roll my eyes at people when they insist that a minor difference makes a completely different firearm.

The SCAR took the “piston” operation out of the back of the BCG and put it at the gas block with a tappet system. Yes, that’s different than an AR, and even different than most piston ARs I’d say (them being more conventional short stoke pistons). With that change came the different charging handle location, and recoil spring design (allowing a proper folding stock).

But the rest of the differences are minuscule. They share mag wells/magazines, mag release, selector/safety, preciously mentioned bolt catch/release, and pistol grip. Then take a look at the bolt face. Tell me that’s not AR. Sure it’s tail is different, cuz they changed the gas system.

The SCAR is not innovative, groundbreaking or original. There are very few things in firearms that are these days. They tweaked the AR. And yes, kept controls similar on purpose so no one would freak out that new training is needed.

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

See this is where I gotta disagree. But then, I roll my eyes at people when they insist that a minor difference makes a completely different firearm.

The SCAR took the “piston” operation out of the back of the BCG and put it at the gas block with a tappet system. Yes, that’s different than an AR, and even different than most piston ARs I’d say (them being more conventional short stoke pistons). With that change came the different charging handle location, and recoil spring design (allowing a proper folding stock).

But the rest of the differences are minuscule. They share mag wells/magazines, mag release, selector/safety, preciously mentioned bolt catch/release, and pistol grip. Then take a look at the bolt face. Tell me that’s not AR. Sure it’s tail is different, cuz they changed the gas system.

The SCAR is not innovative, groundbreaking or original. There are very few things in firearms that are these days. They tweaked the AR. And yes, kept controls similar on purpose so no one would freak out that new training is needed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it’s a matter of degree. They are both semiautomatic and shoot metallic cartridges, so they are the same. IMO the difference between DI and piston alone count for more than a minuscule difference. The modular nature of the scar is the competitive advantage, quick barrel change with repeatable zero is something the AR doesn’t do. Admittedly FN has done a horrible job exploiting this advantage for the civilian market but when it comes to semiauto precision there is a very short list of rifles that can swap calibers with only a torque wrench.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#16]
HK 91 feels a little dated.
MP5 feels a little dated.

I feel a little dated.

It's all good.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
unless you are using the railspace get the no profile handguards.   I can still mount IR to top and the slimness makes it more manipulatable.  The chonky short quad rail is what makes it feel dated, everything else is fantastic.  Suppressor setting being decidedly modern.

View Quote

Just ditching the side rails helps.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Because it's a battle rifle with a long stroke piston.
View Quote

Do you have no experience of the scar or do you just not know the difference between long and short stroke?
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#19]
The AR-15 has the benefit of being around for over half a century. Couple that with it being what is now probably the most popular gun in the civilian world and it has been honed like a razor's edge by tinkerers, the military, and commercial manufacturers. The amount of combined man hours that has gone into refining it and improving it over the years is mind boggling. The SCAR is an expensive gun made by a single manufacturer and it never really caught on and thus has never had the same level of R&D/support, so it's never going to feel quite as "right" as an AR-15 that you've tailored for yourself does.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Sold mine last year in a fit of consolidation & downsizing.

All in all it just kind of bored me.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I like the design but I can't un-see the ugg boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agree. I never saw the appeal of the SCAR. Just something clunky and weird about them, like a cyberpunk movie prop.

I like the design but I can't un-see the ugg boot.
OMG im ruined
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Yep, there are many superior choices nowadays...example:

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#23]

I like B&T and they make nice guns but no caliber conversion means it’s not superior.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I get the different flavors of ice cream but I just don’t see the point to SCARS and Tavors when the AR does everything better and less expensively. They do look cool though.
View Quote

This is where I'm at
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#25]
My ACR that I SBR’d and put in a 10.5” Faxon lightweight barrel in looks like a gun from 2030 and feels like having sex with 19 year old hot chicks!

Too bad to hear about your scar. At least it’s not a tactical tuna!
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I own a SCAR. It feels very dated to use and shoot compared to an AR. I can't really describe it but just holding a SCAR feels like its 1998 and I can get a beer from a vending machine at a junkyard for 80 cents. Intellectually I know that is false but somehow a good AR just feels more modern.
View Quote

That's exactly how I feel between my 1911 and Glock 19.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My ACR that I SBR'd and put in a 10.5" Faxon lightweight barrel in looks like a gun from 2030 and feels like having sex with 19 year old hot chicks!

Too bad to hear about your scar. At least it's not a tactical tuna!
View Quote
ACR's really do have a sweet recoil impulse.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#29]

I'm genuinely curious, having never shot a 308 SCAR, what I would think about it compared to large frame ARs. I really like the SR25 and the LaRue, and I've never shot JP or LMTs but I hear they're nice too, but like all large frame ARs they just seem unnecessarily large in the rear of the receivers.

That being said I really didn't like the 556 SCAR, have no idea what problems it was supposed to solve, and would never take it over an AR. If I absolutely needed a folding piston gun for some reason, I'd take an MCX over it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Why the SCAR in 5.56 (MK16) was not adopted by U.S. Special Forces to replace the M4A1.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Stock ones are dated. They need to release one with an extended mlok handguard, better stock and trigger.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I love my SCAR16.
I love my ARs.
I love my other rifles.

Why do we love to hate what others love? This is still a free country where we have the freedom of choice yet people love to hate on other’s choices!

To each his own!

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I love my SCAR16.
I love my ARs.
I love my other rifles.

Why do we love to hate what others love? This is still a free country where we have the freedom of choice yet people love to hate on other’s choices!

To each his own!

View Quote

I hate your opinion.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a Steyr Aug, that will fix it
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#35]
My T36C feels very 2010ish.

SCAR 17 feels about the same.

I keep buying these rifles and I still return to my MK18.

You can’t beat perfection.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
SCAR rifle , developed early 2000's feels dated to a rifle designed in the 60's ?

(LOL)
View Quote

A rifle designed with a 1930s system of operation (SCAR with short-stroke piston and non-reciprocating charging handle) feels dated next to one with a late 1950s system? Say it ain't so!
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Needs MLOK.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top