Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Actual 'twice cooked' (two different temperatures) almost always come out with a better texture and no excess oil.

You can actually boil them and then fry, or use initial 325F oil and a finish at 350F.
For oil only they need a brief water soak to remove excess starch.

It also makes sure there is enough water in the potato to prevent oil entry when frying.
The steam generated is what foams the oil and keeps it from penetrating all that much into the potato.

Correct prep, handling, and cooking can also vary at many places as staff changes throughout the day.

A busy place often does not have food sitting around very long.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I would like to swap the position of the Chik-Fil-A and McDonalds fries to make that chart more correct.  I even just had McDonalds fries for lunch, and they're truly meh.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rally's fries are very good, the chart lost all credibility with that one.
View Quote
Fucking this right here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Same with Five Guys Fries.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MD's fries are awesome when they are hot but have a very short half life...once cold might as well throw'em out.
Same with Five Guys Fries.
I reheat 5 Guys cajun fries in a toaster oven and they're pretty good warmed back up that way
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They are both cut fresh shoestring potatos,dropped in hot oil and served sometimes soggy.They both totally suck if not consumed within 2 minutes.

Where am I ?
View Quote
Admittidley it's been a minute since I've had in-n-our, but I don't recall their fries being similar at all to the grease sticks that five guys serves

Vs this

Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ROFL....That graph is horeshit. Steak and Shakes fries better than Chick-fil-a’s? Same goes for Burger Kings or Wendy’s?

5 Guys is the only one I’d agree with as better.
View Quote
You either like Chick-fil-a's based upon the style, or you don't. A lot of people don't.

And I've been telling arfcom that 5 Guys fries are the best for 15 years!
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are both cut fresh shoestring potatos,dropped in hot oil and served sometimes soggy.They both totally suck if not consumed within 2 minutes.

Where am I ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How can In n Out and Five Guys be opposite,they are almost exactly the same in every way
No they're not

Where am I ?
I think you're confusing 5 Guys with Steak & Shake
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Admittidley it's been a minute since I've had in-n-our, but I don't recall their fries being similar at all to the grease sticks that five guys serves

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/77/71/73/16752342/3/920x920.jpg

Vs this

https://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/MexEWSmmM-enPIcH2vObsw/o.jpg
View Quote
Those 5 Guys fries are overcooked,which isnt uncommon. But when cooked properly,are just like In N Out...If anything In N Out fries are cooked consistently,but the both suck after 2 minutes

I haven't had fries in a while,and In N Out is about 2 minutes from me,1 minute if I hit the lights right lol
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those 5 Guys fries are overcooked,which isnt uncommon. But when cooked properly,are just like In N Out...If anything In N Out fries are cooked consistently,but the both suck after 2 minutes

I haven't had fries in a while,and In N Out is about 2 minutes from me,1 minute if I hit the lights right lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/77/71/73/16752342/3/920x920.jpg

Vs this

https://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/MexEWSmmM-enPIcH2vObsw/o.jpg

Regardless of how they're cooked, In N Out fries are fucking nothing like 5 Guys
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think you're confusing 5 Guys with Steak & Shake
View Quote
Never had S&S..Actually my favorite fries are Red Robin,I love steak fries.

You really think there is a big difference between 5 Guys and In N Out Fries,minus the seasonings,just the fries?
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#11]
5 FUCKIN' GUYS

Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone that thinks McDonalds has the best fries has brain damage.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Regardless of how they're cooked, In N Out fries are fucking nothing like 5 Guys
View Quote
Ok,what is the difference ? You say nothing,but they are both made with potatoes fried in oil

I'm willing to admit I am not a french fry connisuer,but I have had both and there isnt much of a difference when they are cooked properly and eaten within 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok,what is the difference ? You say nothing,but they are both made with potatoes fried in oil

I'm willing to admit I am not a french fry connisuer,but I have had both and there isnt much of a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm willing to admit I am not a french fry connisuer,but I have had both and there isnt much of a difference.
If I didn't see In N Out actually make their fries with my own eyeballs I wouldn't believe that they're even made out of potato, but even knowing that they are, they have an entirely different taste and texture compared to 5 Guys.  They're so far apart you might as well be saying there isn't much of a difference between a chicken breast and a ribeye.  They're both grilled animal, right?
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I mostly like 5 Guys because they hate people with peanut allergies.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Five guys fries are a greasy disgusting mess. The only way I would eat them is if I was in need of a colon cleansing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#17]
All the listed fries are a major fail compared to Frazee's fresh cut and fried fries. Unfortunately you can only get these fries at certain  county fairs here in western Michigan. After that it's Steak and Shake, followed by McDonalds
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How can In n Out and Five Guys be opposite,they are almost exactly the same in every way
View Quote
Exactly what I was thinking.

I love me In N Out fries.  I love me In N Out burgers.  I love me In N Out shakes.  I love me some In N Out!

Edit - I've only eaten at a Five Guys once.  Wasn't all that impressed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Braum's crinkle-cut fries.

/thread
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking.

I love me In N Out fries.  I love me In N Out burgers.  I love me In N Out shakes.  I love me some In N Out!

Edit - I've only eaten at a Five Guys once.  Wasn't all that impressed.
View Quote
Having never eaten at an In and Out I can't say 5 Guys crap is 100% greasy spoon something you younger guys don't know anything about. Besides, I always thought the whole 5 Guys thing was a backlash to this whole healthy eating thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#21]
McDonald’s fries, when done correctly, are THE standard by which all else are judged.

There’s occasionally better ones, but they’re judged against the Golden Arche’s taters.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If I didn't see In N Out actually make their fries with my own eyeballs I wouldn't believe that they're even made out of potato, but even knowing that they are, they have an entirely different taste and texture compared to 5 Guys.  They're so far apart you might as well be saying there isn't much of a difference between a chicken breast and a ribeye.  They're both grilled animal, right?
View Quote
I would like to try them both side by side,which is impossible because both of them suck after 2 minutes and even here in CA,they are maybe 5 minutes away from each other, and by that time they are both in meltdown phase.

Do you like 5 Guys fries the best,or just think they are better than InNOut  ? Need a baseline lol

Maybe it's because I like steak fries I think they both suck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would like to try them both side by side,which is impossible because both of them suck after 2 minutes and even here in CA,they are maybe 5 minutes away from each other, and by that time they are both in meltdown phase.

Do you like 5 Guys fries the best,or just think they are better than InNOut  ? Need a baseline lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, just better than In N Out.  The cajun seasoning is better than anything else available but the fries tend to be too soggy to really enjoy thoroughly.  In N Out are like little sticks of cardboard, just completely unacceptable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Whataburger. Everything else is garbage.
View Quote
Whataburger not on the list = fail.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top