BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Fuck yeah, I worked all day, got home did a little work here and then crushed my workout. Didn't even feel like I needed preworkout. I feel like I could go workout again right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
Holy shit, I feel amazing.

I have already  PRed on Squat and Bench this week.

Juicer

Fuck yeah, I worked all day, got home did a little work here and then crushed my workout. Didn't even feel like I needed preworkout. I feel like I could go workout again right now.

This is going to be you
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#2]
also first
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]

This is going to be you
View All Quotes

Juicer

This is going to be you

As if,  I don't fucking leg press.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I managed to eat today.  A full pound of hamburger for lunch, with grilled onions and red peppers.  Half a dozen eggs for dinner, same number of sausages.  Last night was three big beef kebabs, grilled asparagus and fresh tomatoes.  

That's two days in a row I've made 2500 calories.  Much more of this and my squat will get back to where it was a few weeks ago.  

Side note-  the professional gym rat gave me some advice on my overhead squats.  He said my knees are going too far forward and they should be behind my toes.  He advised me to do zercher squats to work on the lower body positioning, and do OHS in the smith machine to work on the overall.  I tried both of those and it was actually very easy to do zerchers up to about 185, I didn't try any higher because I was just working on the position.  The OHS in the smith machine really put my upper back in a bind and I had a really hard time with it, so I need to work on getting better mobility in the back.

First time I've used a smith machine....  Still a dumb device.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:
I think my bench strength is almost where it used to be now

https://youtu.be/z0672zTZ_iQ
View Quote

I need some chains

How much further do you need to go to get to your PR?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Juicer

que Morphius voice "Welcome to the real world"
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SCW:
I managed to eat today.  A full pound of hamburger for lunch, with grilled onions and red peppers.  Half a dozen eggs for dinner, same number of sausages.  Last night was three big beef kebabs, grilled asparagus and fresh tomatoes.  

That's two days in a row I've made 2500 calories.  Much more of this and my squat will get back to where it was a few weeks ago.  

Side note-  the professional gym rat gave me some advice on my overhead squats.  He said my knees are going too far forward and they should be behind my toes.  He advised me to do zercher squats to work on the lower body positioning, and do OHS in the smith machine to work on the overall.  I tried both of those and it was actually very easy to do zerchers up to about 185, I didn't try any higher because I was just working on the position.  The OHS in the smith machine really put my upper back in a bind and I had a really hard time with it, so I need to work on getting better mobility in the back.

View Quote

Smith is dumb, don't do that.

It's hard not to have your knees go past your toes when you overhead squat.  You should get a video to see what you are doing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
Yeha man, your knees should always be behind your toes:

DEFINITELY never in front of your toes ever not EVER

And the smith machine is totally legit, keep using it. It'll like teach your body the correct form and stuff. And the Zercher squats definitely have a great carryover to the overhead position, you know what would be even better? Zercher deadlifts, that'll really help your overhead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#10]

FUCK YEAH, KAIKFIT!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By therex:
Yeha man, your knees should always be behind your toes:   https://thegetswoleproject.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/klokov-snatch-squat-e1423280005823.jpg

http://sportivnypress.com/documents/images/ilyn181.jpg

And the smith machine is totally legit, keep using it. It'll like teach your body the correct form and stuff. And the Zercher squats definitely have a great carryover to the overhead position, you know what would be even better? Zercher deadlifts, that'll really help your overhead.
View All Quotes

Yeha man, your knees should always be behind your toes:   https://thegetswoleproject.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/klokov-snatch-squat-e1423280005823.jpg

Yeah.  OK, back to exactly what I have been doing then.  I'll try to gt some video of myself when I get back home.

Zercher deadlift?  Never heard of that either.  I'm such a noob.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Last night:
Squat
Core
2 miles
This morning:
198.4#

Tonight we go to the happy fun water park and I am going to practice being awesome by going down the terrifying slide of doom. ()
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#13]
https://youtu.be/HPsOT9nIDMo

FUCK YEAH, KAIKFIT!
View Quote

If crossfit had curls, I'm sure that's how they'd do them
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

FUCK YEAH, KAIKFIT!

We had it in our programming back in June:

3. Strength/Gymnastics Accessory
4  Supersets of:
15 Barbell Bicep Curls + max unbroken C2B Pull ups – you choose the weight for the curls
Rest 1 minute
15 Skull crushers + max unbroken  Strict HSPU
Rest 1 minute

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#15]

FUCK YEAH, KAIKFIT!
View Quote

That's about the stupidest shit I've seen and those are not arm curls. Entirely to much weight and using to much shoulders and upper back to flip the weight up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

That's about the stupidest shit I've seen and those are not arm curls. Entirely to much weight and using to much shoulders and upper back to flip the weight up.
View All Quotes

FUCK YEAH, KAIKFIT!

In other words, KAIKFIT!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

In other words, KAIKFIT!
View All Quotes

FUCK YEAH, KAIKFIT!

In other words, KAIKFIT!

Kipping curls and getting the girls.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

I need some chains

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:
I think my bench strength is almost where it used to be now

https://youtu.be/z0672zTZ_iQ

I need some chains

Best triple I've done with straight weight is 375, best single is 405.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Yeah.  OK, back to exactly what I have been doing then.  I'll try to gt some video of myself when I get back home.

View All Quotes

To be totally fair, those bottom positions are extreme. Klokov has the most insane mobility which means that his taint can brush the ground, his arches collapsed, knees way out front . . . and somehow he stands that lift up.

Its not wrong, but notice that in his latest instagram post of 3 consecutive heavier snatches the first looked more textbook, and the final 200kg snatch looked like the screenshot above.

In my opinion you should train with good form as much as possible, especially as a beginner. I hit a 5lb PR snatch on Saturday (205 lbs) and, while my form was compromised, I've been creeping up to that weight for a long time (4 or 5 months since I hit 200 for the first time). Compromise when necessary, but until you are really, really comfortable with the movements realize that you are performing a movement that takes years to master and its best to let your movement develop over time so that tendons, tissue, muscle etc. can all adapt to the progressively increasing strain of heavier weight and "better" positions.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By justinbutcher:

To be totally fair, those bottom positions are extreme. Klokov has the most insane mobility which means that his taint can brush the ground, his arches collapsed, knees way out front . . . and somehow he stands that lift up.

Its not wrong, but notice that in his latest instagram post of 3 consecutive heavier snatches the first looked more textbook, and the final 200kg snatch looked like the screenshot above.

In my opinion you should train with good form as much as possible, especially as a beginner. I hit a 5lb PR snatch on Saturday (205 lbs) and, while my form was compromised, I've been creeping up to that weight for a long time (4 or 5 months since I hit 200 for the first time). Compromise when necessary, but until you are really, really comfortable with the movements realize that you are performing a movement that takes years to master and its best to let your movement develop over time so that tendons, tissue, muscle etc. can all adapt to the progressively increasing strain of heavier weight and "better" positions.
View All Quotes

My knees are forward of my toes as well  Probably more important is going to be shoulder mobility.  You can adjust your squat, but the bar still has to be perfectly balanced up top.  I would never OHS on a smith machine.  First of all, the whole point of an OHS is that you have to learn to stabilize the weight.  That's the whole damned lift right there.  On a smith machine it's stabilized for you.  Pointless.  And it would teach you the wrong form since your proper technique isn't going to follow the track of the machine.

You can move up weight much more quickly doing just OHS than snatch though.  I could OHS 245 long before I broke 200 on snatch.  Really only limited by what you can push press from behind the neck.  Get a pvc pipe and just hang out in that position as much as you can.  It just takes time.  For some, it's harder than others.  Especially guys in their 40s+.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Nice post. That last sentence is solid advice for strength training and physical conditioning period. It takes time to build this stuff.

I may be a weakling compared to a lot of people, but I am miles ahead of where I started a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

I was being sarcastic. GymDudeBro is all (like 100 of his brethren) "Knees should never track over toes!" Even KaiK told me 100 times I was gonna blow up my knees or whatever by using them in the direction they were meant to travel.

Yes, these positions are extreme. I chose my two Olympic Heavyweight Mancrushes (DK and Ilya) for that reason. My point is that "dude at the gym is a fucking retard, don't listen to him." Trying go overhead squat with your knees never tracking over (or close to) your toes is just going to make you fail fail fail and overhead squatting on a Smith machine is the most retarded shit I have ever heard in my entire fucking life. Further, I have no idea what zercher squats have to do with overhead squatting (hint: NOT A GODDAM THING) giving GymBro 3 for 3 on the retardation scale.

Maybe my sarcasm didn't come through all the way. SCW just keep doing overhead squats, ok? Don't do them on a Smith machine, and if you have questions about your form, take video and post here, don't listen to anyone who can't, like, front squat their body weight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I was being sarcastic. GymDudeBro is all (like 100 of his brethren) "Knees should never track over toes!" Even KaiK told me 100 times I was gonna blow up my knees or whatever by using them in the direction they were meant to travel.    
Yes, these positions are extreme. I chose my two Olympic Heavyweight Mancrushes (DK and Ilya) for that reason. My point is that "dude at the gym is a fucking retard, don't listen to him." Trying go overhead squat with your knees never tracking over (or close to) your toes is just going to make you fail fail fail and overhead squatting on a Smith machine is the most retarded shit I have ever heard in my entire fucking life. Further, I have no idea what zercher squats have to do with overhead squatting (hint: NOT A GODDAM THING) giving GymBro 3 for 3 on the retardation scale.

Maybe my sarcasm didn't come through all the way. SCW just keep doing overhead squats, ok? Don't do them on a Smith machine, and if you have questions about your form, take video and post here, don't listen to anyone who can't, like, front squat their body weight.
View All Quotes

You were doing back squats. Totally  different.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Well that's true. They were also over 300#, so it was like, double unfamiliar territory for you...

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Well that's true. They were also over 300#, so it was like, double unfamiliar territory for you...  
View All Quotes

I have a medical condition.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

I know, I know, sandy vagina. Isnt' there a treatment for that?

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I bet Hank's knees track over his toes, leastwise when he ain't slackin'....
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Yeah. And it makes you go beast mode.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:18:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: justinbutcher] [#31]

View All Quotes

I agree with you 110%. Everybody should strive to be as mobile and proficient in the movements as Klokov, I just thought it was worth pointing out that the road to being as awesome as they are is very long, and freakishly difficult. Take it slow and keep everything optimal until you are proficient, and then your chances at the attempts heavier than ever before are better bets.

Oh, yeah, and OHS in the smith machine is
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCW] [#32]
S

View All Quotes

The sarcasm came through on the first pass, he mentioned several things that seemed pretty odd, so I'm glad I mentioned it.  I will ignore all of his advise on this and most subjects from here on out.

I've not been doing my OHS with weight lately, just an empty bar as I get better at them.  I seem to have a lot more trouble with the barbell than a pvc pipe, which is why I quit using the pipe.  I was able to more or less keep a fair position with the pipe but not as well with the bar.  

Funny you mention front squats-  he said he doesn't do a lot of squats because of his.....  You guessed it.  Bad knees.  I'm a newb only lifting since December and I front squat well over my body weight.

I have seen him do a 430lb stiff legged deadlift though, so he's not totally weak.  But I've never seen him squat.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

Lol

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I seem to have a lot more trouble with the barbell than a pvc pipe, which is why I quit using the pipe. I was able to more or
View Quote

That's completely normal.  I can't just pick up a barbell cold and do an OHS without warming up to it with a pipe first.  I do OHS with a pipe every warmup.  It gets you warm for pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

That's completely normal.  I can't just pick up a barbell cold and do an OHS without warming up to it with a pipe first.  I do OHS with a pipe every warmup.  It gets you warm for pretty much anything.
View All Quotes
I seem to have a lot more trouble with the barbell than a pvc pipe, which is why I quit using the pipe. I was able to more or

No shit? Even as strong as you are you still warm up with a pipe.

I have been ignoring all such training, but I find that interesting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Same here.

If your form sucks with no weight, it'll suck with weight.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:48:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LawyerUp] [#37]

View All Quotes

Ha.  It's not that I can't lift the weight.  It's stretching, mostly my shoulders, to get comfortable again in that position.  I have a whole pipe routine I run through every morning.  It kind of looks like baton twirling or something.  

ETA: and I always start snatch with the pipe, as Rex said, for technique first.  I will lose the muscle memory if I don't do it every day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Ha.  It's not that I can't lift the weight.  It's stretching, mostly my shoulders, to get comfortable again in that position.  I have a whole pipe routine I run through every morning.  It kind of looks like baton twirling or something.  

ETA: and I always start snatch with the pipe, as Rex said, for technique first.  I will lose the muscle memory if I don't do it every day.
View All Quotes

This I used to pick it up cold and go after it. After a few "miles" I have to warm up and stretch to get back to my younger limberness.

Its not the years, its the mileage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I tore my rotator cuff last year doing something that shouldn't have been hard, so now the first thing I do at the gym is spend about 30 minutes with some bands and just get the shoulders moving.  I think that's why I was able to reach 80% or so of a good OHP position the first day.  I also spend an hour or so each week stretching my legs and hips, my mobility and squat depth has been doing really good lately.

I'll keep tinkering with it, I've got some shoes on order that will help me be more stable with the weight too.

Right now I'm transitioning from a total newb to an intermediate lifter.  I'm not getting linear gains and I find weak spots, so I'm incorporating accessory lifts only to address those weaknesses.

My goal at this point is to work towards a heavy snatch.  It seems to me that at 40yo (next week) I'm going to do well to have the flexibility and strength to snatch over 200lbs.  That goal, in my mind, should keep me gaining strength in the most useful areas and still require me to be limber and mobile.

So I guess all those 'if you only had one lift' threads we get I've answered for myself as the snatch, but I'm planning to use everything to get there.  Any good advice is always appreciated.  Bad advice will generally be exposed by people who ca front squat their weight.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Just a few days a month though
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Compared to how I felt 8 days ago every day is beast mode.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Hit a 295 Front Squat today.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#43]
 at 40yo (next week)
View Quote

40th birthday next week? Will there be a party? ... As long as Hank isn't the one to jump out of the cake, I'll bring a gift.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

That is odd because I am kind of the opposite.  The PVC pipe doesn't do anything for me.  I think because it has no weight I can be completely out of position and still hold everything fine.  But with the bar it has enough weight that if I am out of position I can feel it and adjust.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

What did you do to finally get your doc to treat you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:

40th birthday next week? Will there be a party? ... As long as Hank isn't the one to jump out of the cake, I'll bring a gift.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
 at 40yo (next week)

Hank not jumping out of my cake will be enough of a gift all by itself, I think.

I had my eye on a 40th anniversary CZ 75 for the big day, or a custom shop model of the same.  But then Ruger released that new bolt action that is everything I was hoping my Cooper could be, and at half the price.  And I already have two 6.5 Creedmoor rifles...

Then I decided to bring my wife out with me for a few days of my next trip to Wisconsin, she's never been to Chicago so we'll catch some dinner downtown, see a ballgame in Milwaukee, salmon fish out of the greenbay area and then she goes home and I stay another week.

Then I'll decide what gun to get to celebrate the big day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#47]
My wife ran 4 miles then did 14.5 pullups this morning. There is video off the pullups
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By tcataz:

That is odd because I am kind of the opposite.  The PVC pipe doesn't do anything for me.  I think because it has no weight I can be completely out of position and still hold everything fine.  But with the bar it has enough weight that if I am out of position I can feel it and adjust.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tcataz:

That was exactly why I quit using it, I felt like I was holding it over my head and getting away with it.  But I have a hard time pausing very long at the bottom with an empty bar or with weight.  I did 95lbs again today and although I wasn't down as far as I'd like, I am keeping the arms locked out much better.  I'll go back to trying to sit at the bottom with a PVC and see if I can't keep it behind my head.

This has been a good experiment, tough lift and I'm using a lot of time and energy that could be developing my weak lifts, but as I get better I think all the lifts will benefit from it.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#49]
My wife ran 4 miles then did 14.5 pullups this morning. There is video off the pullups
View Quote

I could do 14 pull-ups... If I was using my Mummy Strength green assistance band. I 'm ashamed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:29:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bakkbakk] [#50]
I tore my rotator cuff last year doing something that shouldn't have been hard, so now the first thing I do at the gym is spend about 30 minutes with some bands and just get the shoulders moving.  I think that's why I was able to reach 80% or so of a good OHP position the first day.  I also spend an hour or so each week stretching my legs and hips, my mobility and squat depth has been doing really good lately.

I'll keep tinkering with it, I've got some shoes on order that will help me be more stable with the weight too.

Right now I'm transitioning from a total newb to an intermediate lifter.  I'm not getting linear gains and I find weak spots, so I'm incorporating accessory lifts only to address those weaknesses.

My goal at this point is to work towards a heavy snatch.  It seems to me that at 40yo (next week) I'm going to do well to have the flexibility and strength to snatch over 200lbs.  That goal, in my mind, should keep me gaining strength in the most useful areas and still require me to be limber and mobile.

So I guess all those 'if you only had one lift' threads we get I've answered for myself as the snatch, but I'm planning to use everything to get there.  Any good advice is always appreciated.  Bad advice will generally be exposed by people who ca front squat their weight.

View Quote
 did you fix that shoulder?  If so, how did it go/going?  
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top