BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

Ha.  It's not that I can't lift the weight.  It's stretching, mostly my shoulders, to get comfortable again in that position.  I have a whole pipe routine I run through every morning.  It kind of looks like baton twirling or something.  

ETA: and I always start snatch with the pipe, as Rex said, for technique first.  I will lose the muscle memory if I don't do it every day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flinch08:
I seem to have a lot more trouble with the barbell than a pvc pipe, which is why I quit using the pipe. I was able to more or

That's completely normal.  I can't just pick up a barbell cold and do an OHS without warming up to it with a pipe first.  I do OHS with a pipe every warmup.  It gets you warm for pretty much anything.

No shit? Even as strong as you are you still warm up with a pipe.

I have been ignoring all such training, but I find that interesting.

Ha.  It's not that I can't lift the weight.  It's stretching, mostly my shoulders, to get comfortable again in that position.  I have a whole pipe routine I run through every morning.  It kind of looks like baton twirling or something.  

ETA: and I always start snatch with the pipe, as Rex said, for technique first.  I will lose the muscle memory if I don't do it every day.

No shit. I just don't have the time to commit to it, but maybe one day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoulder now feels 100%, no pain or impinging at all, full ROM.  

It hurt like hell for a long time, probably 3 months before I went to the doctor and had an MRI that determined it was a cuff.  The doc opted for rehab, the rehab seemed stupid so I didn't go very much, but I worked the stretching religiously and within a few months I could sleep better and in a year it wasn't hurting.  In the last 5 or so months I've regained full mobility.

So rehab works great, even if you don't do it at the rehab clinic.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread is more broke than my dead lift.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been wanting more heel height than my Adidas Powerlift 2.0s. After a couple Jameson's with dinner, I said fuck it and ordered some Romaleos
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone tell me who this Macros guy is... Is he that important to track around?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sean124:
I've been wanting more heel height than my Adidas Powerlift 2.0s. After a couple Jameson's with dinner, I said fuck it and ordered some Romaleos
View Quote

I wouldnt be so fucking broke if it wasnt for my smart phone and alcohol.

I "need" those mags, that ammo, that spare barrel Its even worse around a full moon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

I "need" those mags, that ammo, that spare barrel Its even worse around a full moon.
View All Quotes

My toy gun costs almost as much as a real gun.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
Awww yiss, welcome to the Romaleo Cool Kids Club.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tcataz:

That is odd because I am kind of the opposite.  The PVC pipe doesn't do anything for me.  I think because it has no weight I can be completely out of position and still hold everything fine.  But with the bar it has enough weight that if I am out of position I can feel it and adjust.
View All Quotes
I seem to have a lot more trouble with the barbell than a pvc pipe, which is why I quit using the pipe. I was able to more or

That's completely normal.  I can't just pick up a barbell cold and do an OHS without warming up to it with a pipe first.  I do OHS with a pipe every warmup.  It gets you warm for pretty much anything.

That is odd because I am kind of the opposite.  The PVC pipe doesn't do anything for me.  I think because it has no weight I can be completely out of position and still hold everything fine.  But with the bar it has enough weight that if I am out of position I can feel it and adjust.

If you take pretty much any oly lifting class, they have you on the pvc pipe at the beginning of every workout.  It's part of the training.  I have walked in before, thrown 135 on and full snatched it right off the bat.  But it sucked.  I do my pvc routine, then the empty bar, then 95 to warm up.  Then 135.  Then 155.  Then 175.  Then I'm ready to start at whatever weight I'm supposed to be lifting.  Takes me a good 15 to 20 minutes to get warm for snatch.  If I'm back squatting or something, I don't even need to warm up really.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SCW:
Shoulder now feels 100%, no pain or impinging at all, full ROM.  

It hurt like hell for a long time, probably 3 months before I went to the doctor and had an MRI that determined it was a cuff.  The doc opted for rehab, the rehab seemed stupid so I didn't go very much, but I worked the stretching religiously and within a few months I could sleep better and in a year it wasn't hurting.  In the last 5 or so months I've regained full mobility.

So rehab works great, even if you don't do it at the rehab clinic.

View Quote

Going today. Its been a year of off and on.20 years of bench press and no.mobility had caught up with me finally.  I tried to do an ohp with the bar last week and im so tight that when i locked it and stood there it took everything to not throw it through the wall.  
Deadlifts made the shoulder better so it makes me think they were pulling my shoulders down.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#13]

My goal at this point is to work towards a heavy snatch.  It seems to me that at 40yo (next week) I'm going to do well to have the flexibility and strength to snatch over 200lbs.  That goal, in my mind, should keep me gaining strength in the most useful areas and still require me to be limber and mobile.

So I guess all those 'if you only had one lift' threads we get I've answered for myself as the snatch, but I'm planning to use everything to get there.  Any good advice is always appreciated.  Bad advice will generally be exposed by people who ca front squat their weight.

View Quote

I'm 35.  I tried my first snatch about a year and a couple months ago, and couldn't even do the bar (full snatch).  I could power snatch.  Now I'm at 225.  Going for 235 on the next attempt.  It was really frustrating to me that I didn't have the mobility.  So I just worked on it a lot.  Did a lot of ATG squats.  A lot of duck walks every day to warm up.  And a lot of pvc pipe work, especially from an ATG position, to get my shoulders to where they would bend back behind my head.  Then once I was comfortable down in that position, I started going heavy on OHS.  Like 200+ consistently.  Heaviest I went was 245.    And lighter snatch balances helped as well.  You are also going to have to MASTER the hook grip.

But it wasn't until I got actual coaching from an oly coach that I understood the movement enough to really be able to pull hard and use my strength.  Just with a change in technique, I almost immediately went from 175 to 200.  Youtube videos just don't cut it.  Now the hard part for me is working on speed and dropping more quickly under the bar.  It was a slow, slow climb from 200 to 225.  It's a hard fucking movement, even though it looks so easy.  I think that's why I like it so much though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#14]

If you take pretty much any oly lifting class, they have you on the pvc pipe at the beginning of every workout.  It's part of the training.  I have walked in before, thrown 135 on and full snatched it right off the bat.  But it sucked.  I do my pvc routine, then the empty bar, then 95 to warm up.  Then 135.  Then 155.  Then 175.  Then I'm ready to start at whatever weight I'm supposed to be lifting.  Takes me a good 15 to 20 minutes to get warm for snatch.  If I'm back squatting or something, I don't even need to warm up really.
View All Quotes

So you're "that guy" who takes 3 hours to do his workout that consists of 3 sets of squats?

Seriously, I have a guy who comes in, rolls around o the his pvs pipe for awhile,takes 30 minutes to put on his power suit, does a couple sets with a couple plates on each side, and then undresses and leaves. Meanwhile I'm drenched in sweat, done a  whole workout consisting of 6 or so exercises and 30 minutes of cardio.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

So you're "that guy" who takes 3 hours to do his workout that consists of 3 sets of squats?

Seriously, I have a guy who comes in, rolls around o the his pvs pipe for awhile,takes 30 minutes to put on his power suit, does a couple sets with a couple plates on each side, and then undresses and leaves. Meanwhile I'm drenched in sweat, done a  whole workout consisting of 6 or so exercises and 30 minutes of cardio.
View All Quotes

Sometimes I do take too long to warmup, but I was specifically talking about warming up for snatch, which in and of itself has me sweating like a whore in church by the time I'm done.  Because I'm lifting, but just working up the weight.  My programming unfortunately has a lot to get done in a little amount of time.  You can check out exactly what I've been doing in the CF wod thread.  It sucks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Sometimes I do take too long to warmup, but I was specifically talking about warming up for snatch, which in and of itself has me sweating like a whore in church by the time I'm done.  Because I'm lifting, but just working up the weight.  My programming unfortunately has a lot to get done in a little amount of time.  You can check out exactly what I've been doing in the CF wod thread.  It sucks.
View All Quotes

I appreciate the help.  On my rest days I usually spend an hour stretching the. Do very light ATG squats and I try the OHS.  I'll be drenched in sweat and never lift more than an empty bar, but I stretch the shoulders a lot and the hips even more.  Recently I've been working the ankles as well, amazing how deep that squat can be and I still fight the OHS.

I really need to find an oly coach in Utah, getting the mobility is good for now, but I really don't want to learn bad habits as I get started.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, it's fucking depressing in GD.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:51:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flinch08] [#19]
Man, it's fucking depressing in GD.
View Quote

All depends on what you click on.

Killing my dog thread? He'll that's sad.

Giant squid stealing some Russians fish? That's awesome!

ETA: Never mind, I'm done with GD for today.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By therex:
View All Quotes

Is there a handshake?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Is there a handshake?
View All Quotes

Is there a handshake?
Ass-grabs.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I have some high heel bastards I don't use. Any interest in here?  10 or so squat sessions in them do wins or rogues from a few years ago 10s
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I managed to eat today.  A full pound of hamburger for lunch, with grilled onions and red peppers.  Half a dozen eggs for dinner, same number of sausages.  Last night was three big beef kebabs, grilled asparagus and fresh tomatoes.  

That's two days in a row I've made 2500 calories.  Much more of this and my squat will get back to where it was a few weeks ago.  

Side note-  the professional gym rat gave me some advice on my overhead squats.  He said my knees are going too far forward and they should be behind my toes.  He advised me to do zercher squats to work on the lower body positioning, and do OHS in the smith machine to work on the overall.  I tried both of those and it was actually very easy to do zerchers up to about 185, I didn't try any higher because I was just working on the position.  The OHS in the smith machine really put my upper back in a bind and I had a really hard time with it, so I need to work on getting better mobility in the back.

First time I've used a smith machine....  Still a dumb device.

View Quote

I've been gone, so it's already been covered probably but that guy is an idiot. Your knees will go in front of your toes on an OHS, front squat and most likely on a high bar back squat too. Don't listen to random gym rats.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:26:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#24]

Nice post. That last sentence is solid advice for strength training and physical conditioning period. It takes time to build this stuff.

I may be a weakling compared to a lot of people, but I am miles ahead of where I started a few years ago.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By justinbutcher:

Side note-  the professional gym rat gave me some advice on my overhead squats.  He said my knees are going too far forward and they should be behind my toes.  He advised me to do zercher squats to work on the lower body positioning, and do OHS in the smith machine to work on the overall.  I tried both of those and it was actually very easy to do zerchers up to about 185, I didn't try any higher because I was just working on the position.  The OHS in the smith machine really put my upper back in a bind and I had a really hard time with it, so I need to work on getting better mobility in the back.

Yeha man, your knees should always be behind your toes:   https://thegetswoleproject.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/klokov-snatch-squat-e1423280005823.jpg

DEFINITELY never in front of your toes ever not EVER
http://sportivnypress.com/documents/images/ilyn181.jpg

And the smith machine is totally legit, keep using it. It'll like teach your body the correct form and stuff. And the Zercher squats definitely have a great carryover to the overhead position, you know what would be even better? Zercher deadlifts, that'll really help your overhead.

Yeah.  OK, back to exactly what I have been doing then.  I'll try to gt some video of myself when I get back home.

Zercher deadlift?  Never heard of that either.  I'm such a noob.

To be totally fair, those bottom positions are extreme. Klokov has the most insane mobility which means that his taint can brush the ground, his arches collapsed, knees way out front . . . and somehow he stands that lift up.

Its not wrong, but notice that in his latest instagram post of 3 consecutive heavier snatches the first looked more textbook, and the final 200kg snatch looked like the screenshot above.

In my opinion you should train with good form as much as possible, especially as a beginner. I hit a 5lb PR snatch on Saturday (205 lbs) and, while my form was compromised, I've been creeping up to that weight for a long time (4 or 5 months since I hit 200 for the first time). Compromise when necessary, but until you are really, really comfortable with the movements realize that you are performing a movement that takes years to master and its best to let your movement develop over time so that tendons, tissue, muscle etc. can all adapt to the progressively increasing strain of heavier weight and "better" positions.

Nice post. That last sentence is solid advice for strength training and physical conditioning period. It takes time to build this stuff.

I may be a weakling compared to a lot of people, but I am miles ahead of where I started a few years ago.

Except it's not wrong to have knees more forward on certain squats.

ETA- already been covered but idgaf
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

I've been gone, so it's already been covered probably but that guy is an idiot. Your knees will go in front of your toes on an OHS, front squat and most likely on a high bar back squat too. Don't listen to random gym rats.
View All Quotes
I managed to eat today.  A full pound of hamburger for lunch, with grilled onions and red peppers.  Half a dozen eggs for dinner, same number of sausages.  Last night was three big beef kebabs, grilled asparagus and fresh tomatoes.  

That's two days in a row I've made 2500 calories.  Much more of this and my squat will get back to where it was a few weeks ago.  

He's actually the gym 'pro', sponsored competitive bodybuilder.  

But yeah, I'll go back to taking advice from random guys on a forum dedicated to a specific type of rifle . At least you guys haven't steered me wrong.

O'Hare int sucks.  TSA sucks worse.  Chicago traffic sucks, but not as bad as TSA.

I get home about midnight and my wife and I are running a 5K at 6am.    Probably be a slow one for me, through the rolling hills at 6,000' elevation.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cowboy:

I have his and hers simunition uppers.

When you absolutely, positively have to reenact Mr and Mrs Smith...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cowboy:
Originally Posted By KaiK:

My toy gun costs almost as much as a real gun.

<a href="http://s111.photobucket.com/user/kaik78/media/20150722_171804_zpsmoica6tv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/kaik78/20150722_171804_zpsmoica6tv.jpg</a>

I have his and hers simunition uppers.

When you absolutely, positively have to reenact Mr and Mrs Smith...

I don't think I would have a wife after that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#31]

But yeah, I'll go back to taking advice from random guys on a forum dedicated to a specific type of rifle . At least you guys haven't steered me wrong.

View Quote

Well pro or not, he doesn't know shit about squatting obviously

If you want to be a bodybuilder then seek his advice, know what I mean?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Do bodybuilders even do OHS?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Wasn't pretty but I got up a 415# dead. Almost lost my grip.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#34]
[b]Originally Posted By RolandofGilead

Except it's not wrong to have knees more forward on certain squats.

ETA- already been covered but idgaf
View Quote

You get no arguments from me. My knees are in front of my toes back squatting. High bar and below parallel, not sure how they couldn't be.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatBag] [#35]

https://youtu.be/sKBSZsSSvBk
View Quote

That's some real hardcore lifting music.

Also, dropping deadlifts? Don't go crossfit on me, bro.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:

View All Quotes

That's as hardcore as the radio stations get around here.

It found it's way to the ground didn't it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

I have no desire to be a bodybuilder, I like food too much.  I don't eat enough of it, but I sure don't want their lifestyle.

From my sample set of the 3 BBs in that gym, no they don't OHS.  But the 'pro' has a 'certificate' in Olympic lifts.  Ass wipe with a gold seal I'd guess.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:01:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bakkbakk] [#38]

I have no desire to be a bodybuilder, I like food too much.  I don't eat enough of it, but I sure don't want their lifestyle.

From my sample set of the 3 BBs in that gym, no they don't OHS.  But the 'pro' has a 'certificate' in Olympic lifts.  Ass wipe with a gold seal I'd guess.

View All Quotes

ive never seen an  ohs outside of the one Olympic room out of 7 or so gyms in my town

a couple front squats over the years
I also get weird looks for my squat shoes/oly shoes  
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Are you saying that bb don't eat alot or do eat alot?

For the record, I don't have a desire to be a bb either. But I am going for sexy as fuck. I like the road maps to success, aka veins,  that are forming all over my arms, chest, and shoulders.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Hank:
It's official. I give no shits about sushi.
View Quote

Funny... I give lots of shit after sushi.

It's a no Fo for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Three red lights.

Good lift, broham.
View Quote

They looked white to me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#44]

For the record, I don't have a desire to be a bb either. But I am going for sexy as fuck. I like the road maps to success, aka veins,  that are forming all over my arms, chest, and shoulders.
View All Quotes

I'm just saying they seem to live around their diet obsessively.  That's too much work, I prefer an easy lifestyle even if it includes some body fat.

Ran the slowest 5K ever this morning after about 4 hours of sleep.  Lowest elevation was about 5,900' and highest was 6,200' or so.  Just a local fun run with the wife and 200 or so other people.

Here's a pic as we were running up the hill, we started in the valley and ran up to the foothill, then back down, running past pastures for part of it and finishing in town, which is only about 1,800 people anyway.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Three red lights.

Good lift, broham.
View All Quotes

Three red lights.

Good lift, broham.

The Little Tikes 'my first squat rack' is probably part of the problem with his squats.  

Nice lift, I'm surprised you can dead lift over 4 bills, bench over two and still have so much trouble with the squat.  Must be mental.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

That bar speed off the ground is pretty quick...with just a teeny-tiny bit of a hitch at the top

quit playnin...you got at least 20lbs more
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Flashover343:

That bar speed off the ground is pretty quick...with just a teeny-tiny bit of a hitch at the top

View All Quotes

I think so too. It looked bad at the top because I started to lose the bar and I through me off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#48]

The Little Tikes 'my first squat rack' is probably part of the problem with his squats.  

Nice lift, I'm surprised you can dead lift over 4 bills, bench over two and still have so much trouble with the squat.  Must be mental.
View All Quotes

Three red lights.

Good lift, broham.

I have a medical condition.

I am not getting a good rack until I build a gym at my house. I don't want it to melt.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#49]

I think so too. It looked bad at the top because I started to lose the bar and I through me off.
View All Quotes

We can forgive you if you need to use straps

for now
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:38:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCW] [#50]

I am not getting a good rack until I build a gym at my house. I don't want it to melt.
View All Quotes

Three red lights.

Good lift, broham.

You know, I squatted 300 for sets three weeks before I started my T replacement.....  . But it took forever to recover.  It's getting off that couch that was the hardest.

Hit a new high score today, on the scale.  221lbs, heaviest I've ever been, eventually I'm going to have to figure out how to lose some weight.  It's not the high score I was really hoping for.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top