BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool stories.

I enjoy your posts as your posts very much different than the usual GD drivel. (no homo)
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
STFU, if there were no predators, you would be up to your ass in duck, turkey, and what ever the fuck else shit. Wake the fuck up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
STFU, if there were no predators, you would be up to your ass in duck, turkey, and what ever the fuck else shit. Wake the fuck up.
View Quote
You're not supposed to eat the lead sinkers when you go fishing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
You should probably take a break from the internet for a while.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should take a break?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ya real cool until your chickens, ducks and turkeys start getting torn to pieces in front of you.
View Quote
Nature be scary, yo...

Get a Great Pyrenees or a burro if you want your birds to be safe.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CoC 6 removed  --- Edited by brass
View Quote

Man....  A guy like the legendary Steyr Aug is banned for life, if I commnet like this doesn't result in a permaban, then I don't know what should.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Birds of Prey are cool.

I know I've told this story here before, but one of the coolest things I've ever done is help my licensed falconer buddy train his Red Tail to come back to him.

Standing in the field with the glove on, just watching that bird fly right at you from 150 yards away 2 feet off the ground, then when he got near you, the wings spread out, the talons point at you, and he swoops up and lands on your arm/glove at shoulder height like 3 feet from your face.
Pretty exciting for a city boy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I watched "The Birds" when I was a kid.

I view any more than two birds in a cluster as a very ominous sign.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Should be treated the same as Groundhogs, Feral Cats and Feral Pigs.
View Quote
That’s stupid
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are and wreck populations of animals people like to hunt.

They're not endangered anymore and should at least have a season or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love birds of prey. Fascinating critters.
They are and wreck populations of animals people like to hunt.

They're not endangered anymore and should at least have a season or something.
Bull shit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#14]
You should see when they form up to migrate near Duluth Hawk watching Duluth

The ducks & turkeys are hiding out until they all leave
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
GD is delivering once again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't find them, but I have a few pictures of chicken hawks in my (suburban) yard & sitting on the fence. Mi Esposa has a bird feeder in the back yard and attracts a crowd of 15-30 doves. It's like hunting over bait for him. Circle of life.

They are prominent in our area. The local HS mascot is the Redhawks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bull shit.
View Quote
No. It's true. But I'm sure this website is full of shit.

https://www.nwf.org/en/Magazines/National-Wildlife/1993/The-Case-of-the-Disappearing-Quail
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Birds of Prey are cool.

I know I've told this story here before, but one of the coolest things I've ever done is help my licensed falconer buddy train his Red Tail to come back to him.

Standing in the field with the glove on, just watching that bird fly right at you from 150 yards away 2 feet off the ground, then when he got near you, the wings spread out, the talons point at you, and he swoops up and lands on your arm/glove at shoulder height like 3 feet from your face.
Pretty exciting for a city boy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Who’s the Arfcommer who shot video of the red tail nailing mice that he set out on his porch railing? All you could see was the mouse, then WHAM, the talons smash down on the mouse like something out of a Godzilla movie.
View Quote
I'd like to see that, I once was on a tour of a bat preserve, listening to the guide drone on about how  bats were expert flyers, etc. Then the hawks moved in.

Bird after bird would dive thru the bat flight picking off one on every swoop thru. Those hawks must have eaten a good 30 or 40 in the hour we were there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#21]
@Swampgrass

As stated by a previous poster, it could be juveniles (maybe that just got their first set of adult plumage) that are hanging around together until they figure out the adulting thing.

It could be a breeding pair with a younger upstart trying to horn in with the female and they're all squabbling away from the nest area.  Pictures would help along with a commentary on their behavior.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#22]

@ironhandjohn
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.nwf.org/en/Magazines/National-Wildlife/1993/The-Case-of-the-Disappearing-Quail
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull shit.

Modern farming practices have far more to do with the declining population then hawks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Wait until the Honkler shows up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You leave my animal brothers(sisters, too, I just can’t tell them apart) alone. I wanted a really cool, dangerous spirit animal, like a grizzly bear or great white shark. Instead, I got red-tail hawks, but it’s cool...
View Quote
I read your posts in the voice of your avatar.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#27]
As a chicken owner, SSS
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gotta love the 13'ers just for the entertainment.

Here, hold my beer while I step on my dick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
20ga 7/8 #6
I would like to see you do that, just before I slipped a 68gr behind your ear.
Gotta love the 13'ers just for the entertainment.

Here, hold my beer while I step on my dick.
No shit, and yet Silvan is still banned.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've seen juveniles hang out in groups but nothing like this ?  Is this common ?
View Quote
There is a spot on I81 near the Greeneville exit where I have seen large groups (~20) of hawks circling the sky hunting together regularly.

Don't know if they roost together but they sure do hunt in groups.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nature be scary, yo...

Get a Great Pyrenees or a burro if you want your birds to be safe.
View Quote
Donkey's can get real mean.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I sure could use some of their help in the eyesight department. My myopic ass needs to get to the eye doctor for new glasses soon.

I’m only half serious about spirit animals, and I honestly don’t know how it’s supposed to work, but I have an interesting(to me, anyway) story about red tails and me.

I once got really lost in rural Arkansas after delivering a load of pipe to a job-site, and the ‘shortcut’ back to I-40 got me even more lost. It was getting dark, no sun, pre cell phone, my map didn’t show the road I was on, and I was a new driver beginning to panic. I got to a T-intersection and there was a hawk sitting on the sign. It turned its head and looked to the left & back at me a few times. I took it as a sign, turned left and followed the road to another T-intersection and found another hawk, this one looking to the right. This continued several more times until I could see 40 off in the distance, at which point I saw no more hawks.

Another time Mrs. IHJ came to pick me up from work, but couldn’t find which truck was mine. There were 100 identical tractors parked in rows & I was asleep in the back of one of them. She circled the lot until she saw a hawk sitting on a lamp post right above my truck, so she stopped. The hawk dipped its head a few times and then flew off, and Mrs. IHJ’s knock on the door woke me up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You leave my animal brothers(sisters, too, I just can’t tell them apart) alone. I wanted a really cool, dangerous spirit animal, like a grizzly bear or great white shark. Instead, I got red-tail hawks, but it’s cool...
I would think a bird of prey would be a cool spirit animal. Flying around, killing stuff, great vision.

So does the spirit animal choose you; how does that work?
I sure could use some of their help in the eyesight department. My myopic ass needs to get to the eye doctor for new glasses soon.

I’m only half serious about spirit animals, and I honestly don’t know how it’s supposed to work, but I have an interesting(to me, anyway) story about red tails and me.

I once got really lost in rural Arkansas after delivering a load of pipe to a job-site, and the ‘shortcut’ back to I-40 got me even more lost. It was getting dark, no sun, pre cell phone, my map didn’t show the road I was on, and I was a new driver beginning to panic. I got to a T-intersection and there was a hawk sitting on the sign. It turned its head and looked to the left & back at me a few times. I took it as a sign, turned left and followed the road to another T-intersection and found another hawk, this one looking to the right. This continued several more times until I could see 40 off in the distance, at which point I saw no more hawks.

Another time Mrs. IHJ came to pick me up from work, but couldn’t find which truck was mine. There were 100 identical tractors parked in rows & I was asleep in the back of one of them. She circled the lot until she saw a hawk sitting on a lamp post right above my truck, so she stopped. The hawk dipped its head a few times and then flew off, and Mrs. IHJ’s knock on the door woke me up.
That is cool AF !
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

High speed photography has revealed that bats have a fairly high number of mid-air collisions :-)
View Quote
It has also revealed frequent erections and in some cases, masturbation.
In fact, most mammals do in fact masturbate.
The Galapagos Shafter Monkey is a frequent offender.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The story you posted above is about a Cooper’s hawk, which is a bird-eating accipiter. Red Tailed hawks (buteo) primarily eat rodents. You are advocating the killing of something based on a false argument.

And to counter that story, cats are responsible for the predation of quail to a much greater extent than birds of prey. If you want to make a difference shoot feral cats.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I watched a hawk kill a northern flicker woodpecker in my back yard....it was brutal  and fascinating to watch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why for fuck's sake?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Choot'em
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The story you posted above is about a Cooper’s hawk, which is a bird-eating accipiter. Red Tailed hawks (buteo) primarily eat rodents. You are advocating the killing of something based on a false argument.

And to counter that story, cats are responsible for the predation of quail to a much greater extent than birds of prey. If you want to make a difference shoot feral cats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't confuse the GDers with facts, man.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I’ve seen more hawks near my house in FL and woods this year than the last 16 years.
Not sure why but welcome.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've seen more hawks near my house in FL and woods this year than the last 16 years.
Not sure why but welcome.
View Quote
I've seen far more hawks in the last year than I can ever recall. I thought maybe I was just crazy and hadn't been paying attention.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#43]
We don't see a lot of red tails around here because it's more marshy.  Mostly red-shoulders.

I have seen some red-tails north of here though.

Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Airsix is absolutely correct. Even the article about Coopers hawks is an isolated example. Your outdoor cats that people are so proud of, and the feral ones, are the ones doing most of the killing of small game, turkey chicks, etc.

Yes, hawks catch game animals, chickens, etc. once in a while but they are hunters of opportunity and risk vs reward. A raptor would much rather subsist on small, easily caught prey such as mice, voles, rats, snakes, etc. then risk injury by catching larger prey.

When I am doing presentations with my hawks I deal with this all the time. A guys property is overrun with coyotes and feral cats but he thinks the two hawks on his property are killing all the rabbits.

I am a Falconer like a couple of other guys on here. Don't kill protected birds because you are ignorant.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Last week I saw 3 golden eagles together,well, within a couple hundred yards of each other. I see single birds and pairs quite often but that is the first time I have seen three at one time. This morning I was checking out a water development in a canyon ten or twelve miles from here as the crow flies . I helped build it about five years back and hadn't checked in now in a couple years. I didn't expect to see bighorns on it this time of year although they left plenty of sign from earlier. Any way I had never hiked to the head of the canyon and since it is a beautiful spot and it was a fine day I decided I would. I climbed high along the west slope, there was a little fresh snow but it had mostly gone where the sun hit it and so I sat down on my jacket to enjoy the sun and thought about taking a nap when an eagle soared down canyon below the opposite rim, followed a couple minutes later by it's mate. I feel lucky to live in a place like this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#47]
13ers and death threats. Only in MFGD.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think a bird of prey would be a cool spirit animal. Flying around, killing stuff, great vision.

So does the spirit animal choose you; how does that work?

Wise man who listens when the animals talk to him.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
You mean like squirrels?

So cooper hawks kill quail and red tailed kill squirrels,  just for examples.

My argument is that they're destructive in the amount of game they kill. Which they are.

Only GD would say the national wildlife federation is wrong lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Last week I saw 3 golden eagles together,well, within a couple hundred yards of each other. I see single birds and pairs quite often but that is the first time I have seen three at one time. This morning I was checking out a water development in a canyon ten or twelve miles from here as the crow flies . I helped build it about five years back and hadn't checked in now in a couple years. I didn't expect to see bighorns on it this time of year although they left plenty of sign from earlier. Any way I had never hiked to the head of the canyon and since it is a beautiful spot and it was a fine day I decided I would. I climbed high along the west slope, there was a little fresh snow but it had mostly gone where the sun hit it and so I sat down on my jacket to enjoy the sun and thought about taking a nap when an eagle soared down canyon below the opposite rim, followed a couple minutes later by it's mate. I feel lucky to live in a place like this.
View Quote
These guys were shoulder to shoulder on the same limb, like 3 guys sitting at the bar.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top