Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
What’s the point? Get 9mm for self defense and 45 if animals are a concern.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In factory loads it is downloaded so routinely to .40 levels it is mostly a longer, weaker version of what it's supposed to be.
View Quote

Yea, that.

It's helpful to be a handloader to take full advantage of this round. Be real careful and check the stats on factory ammo to make sure JHP rounds are NOT loaded down to .40S&W levels. During the 90's craze when BlackTalon Ammo was discontinued due to bad media publicity of how lethal it was, I ran out & bought a few different calibers of it at a local chain, but then returned the 10mm ammo the next day when I read the piss-poor velocity That was the ONLY time a gunshop ever accepted an ammo return and was happy to refund my purchase!! (.....and sell that poor-velocity crap to some other sucker who wanted the magical "Black Talon" Ammo)
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What about the performance is lacking?  I've only run 220s through a ~ 7" barrel and was impressed.
View Quote

The performance is fine. Reliability isn't. The ogive doesn't jive well with Glocks. 200s work fine.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Actually, 9mm has a good reputation against bears.
View Quote

Yea, people shoot them with a .22 too if they go into bear country ill-equipped and that's all they have on them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]
It's not for girly men with tiny hands.
Glock + 10mm Underwood =
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Worth having?
View Quote

My thoughts on 10mm?  

Why not 11mm?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Supposed to be good in bear country.  Expensive?  Check.  Hard to find ammo?  Probably.  Limited number of available guns?  Ya.  Do want?  Very!
View Quote

From this last panic 10mm lasted on the shelf here longer than most other calipers.  That and 6.5 Cr.  I made it a point to have both.

This is like the * at the bottom of any 401k or trading estimate:  Current trends do not indicate what "future panics" might bring.

With more types of ammo on the shelves compared to previous panics it will be interesting to see the trends....though I hope we come out of this one soon and we don't see another in the next 30 years.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#14]
You can kill bears and elk with it. Smokes hogs too. Shoots pretty soft in heavier guns like a p220 10mm or 1911. Even out in the woods I more likely have a 9mm most times so I see no need for the lighter high capacity 10mms, nothing wrong with those either. If you can find ammo I’d say it’s a great option.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Worth having?
View Quote

Yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9725mm_Dillon
And if you feel like experimenting, try it's wildcat brother named Dillon
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#16]
10mm HMMMmmmm.. Here recently I have been talking to people who have used it in action. Hunting, Varmint, Critters, and even a Methhead.

IN the 48 contiguous states of USA 9mm Nato 124 Grain FMJ will take care of most threats. Big cats (cougars, mountain lions, Black bears)  Everything else 10mm will do fine. Unless you run across a pissed off Bigfoot or DogMan/WolfMan. If you spend time out in the woods a 10mm Semi auto would be a good idea to carry around all the time. IF Legal in your AO.

Now North of the US Canada border things get interesting. You can get larger brown bears even some kodaks have been seen north of Washington state into Canada.

SO From what I am told if you want to kill everything around here just use 12 GA Semi Auto Shotgun with Slugs. Carry a change of clothes. Pants shirt underwear socks maybe even shoes incase you shit your pants during the encounter.

I have been wanting to get a 10mm but after talking to some of theses guys. "I" don't really need one. HOWEVER "YOU" may need one. as always Your Mileage May Vary.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The performance is fine. Reliability isn't. The ogive doesn't jive well with Glocks. 200s work fine.
View Quote

huh? I've run hundreds of Underwood 220's through a G20 with zero problems. Where are you getting your data from?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#19]
A great cartridge for specialized applications that brings out Walter Mitty types by the dozen.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I get feedway stoppages with 220s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 220s don't work very well. Stick the the 200s

In a Glock?
Damn you all
Just spent $110 on 220s for a new g20
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Glock 20 is absolutely massive, I almost bought one until I held it and realized I'd never carry it in the woods.
The 1911 10mm's can be smaller but are heavy.

I carry 9mm in town in a much smaller package (Sig P365).
When I hike, I carry 357 magnum.  It does everything the 10mm does in a 17 ounce package (Ruger KLCR).  It's the perfect woods gun, so light you forget it's there.  If I'm planning on shooting something (small game) I'll carry my Ruger SP101 with a 4.2" barrel.
If I was actually concerned about bears, I'd carry my 44 Mag (S&W 629).

The 10mm is like the Ford Raptor.  It's awesome and powerful and expensive and sexy and probably has more power than you'll ever need until you actually have to tow something big then there are much better options.

https://i.imgur.com/4ED7cPX.png
View Quote

LOL..maybe you should start with real 10mm ammo...There is a whole lot of people carrying Glock 20's in the alaskan woods every day..evidently they know more about 10mm than you have figured out...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]

it fucks
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If using full house 10mm then yes, worth having. Something to be said for G-20 with 16 Underwood 220 HC on board.  Great hiking pistol for most of North America.
View Quote

Use 200 HC...220 has been proven to hang a slide every once in a blue moon, but you do not rely on it for life/death situations..use 200HC preferably underwood or BB that have proven to perform...
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doesn't jive with delta elites either, mine would act up every so often..use only 200hard cast ammo for bear defense do not use 220, the ogive design we have found will cause a failure to return to battery every once in a blue moon..thats been with 1911's, delta elites, Glock 29's Glock 20's and Glock 40's..gen didn't matter, after market springs/barrels did not matter, sooner or later with 220 you will get a slide hang like it was limp wristed..
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#26]

I have a 20 gen 2 as well, a 29 g4 and a Delta carry-comp, love them all.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:58:43 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
I'm strictly a 6-point man.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Glock 20 is absolutely massive, I almost bought one until I held it and realized I'd never carry it in the woods.
View Quote

It's a large pistol, but was lighter with 16 rounds than my Redhawk was with 6.

I sold the Redhawk years ago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

huh? I've run hundreds of Underwood 220's through a G20 with zero problems. Where are you getting your data from?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting them, working at a range, reading of dozen of others here and on pistol-forum where they have a long thread on outdoor semi autos all have the same issues.

Weak mag springs, shooting from compromised positions, single or weak hand only shooting all amplify the issue.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There was a study in calibers used for bear defense.  A bunch of 9mm ball seems to do better than you would think.  Apparently, a lot of shots where the projectile penetrates fairly well means the odds of hitting something vital goes way up.  

Let’s be realistic.  A half magazine of 9mm has more energy and penetration that a 12 gauge round full of triple ought Buck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, people shoot them with a .22 too if they go into bear country ill-equipped and that's all they have on them.

There was a study in calibers used for bear defense.  A bunch of 9mm ball seems to do better than you would think.  Apparently, a lot of shots where the projectile penetrates fairly well means the odds of hitting something vital goes way up.  

Let’s be realistic.  A half magazine of 9mm has more energy and penetration that a 12 gauge round full of triple ought Buck.

12 gauge buckshot produces a wound cavity with much more crushed tissue than 9 rounds of 9mm.

That being said I don't necessarily disagree that a 9mm is worthless in the woods. I've done it. I just prefer heavier stuff because of failures with 9mm on deer.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In a Glock?
Damn you all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 220s don't work very well. Stick the the 200s

In a Glock?
Damn you all

How many rounds is that? Shoot a couple mags weak hand only and see if they work.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Worth having?
View Quote

Only if you can’t find an 11mm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That being said I don't necessarily disagree that a 9mm is worthless in the woods. I've done it. I just prefer heavier stuff because of failures with 9mm on deer.
View Quote

Details of failures?

I think if used within reason (range and shot placement), a good 9mm load, such as the 124gr +P, will kill just fine.

ETA- I think I shot this big hog at about 15 yards, one shot, he went about that far before falling over.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Does a wild bear shit in the woods?
View Quote

Would a hobo eat a ham SAMMICH???
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Details of failures?

I think if used within reason (range and shot placement), a good 9mm load, such as the 124gr +P, will kill just fine.

ETA- I think I shot this big hog at about 15 yards, one shot, he went about that far before falling over.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/AojxBz.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details of failures?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/AojxBz.jpg

I had a gold dot fail to penetrate a shoulder of a deer. I was able to track the very sparse blood trail because of the snow and was able to guess where he was going because I knew the area really well.

I had another gold dot just barely lodge in the heart after going through a rib.

These were 180lbs + deer at a nursery where I had nuisance permits.

I shot another dozen that all worked just fine and have no qualms with carrying gold dots or hsts when I do carry a 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I had a gold dot fail to penetrate a shoulder of a deer. I was able to track the very sparse blood trail because of the snow and was able to guess where he was going because I knew the area really well.

I had another gold dot just barely lodge in the heart after going through a rib.

I shot another dozen that all worked just fine and have no qualms with carrying gold dots or hsts when I do carry a 9mm.
View Quote

To be curious what load Gold Dot?  Seems odd for quality ammo like that to not penetrate.

I have 147 Gr HSTs in my stuff now and am confident in it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do a search for G20 problems with 220 gr hardcast (you'll get BB and Underwood). Plenty of people with your experience, but enough anecdotal problems to convince me that trusting my life to it isn't worth whatever advantage I'd gain over 200 gr, which has no history of issues and does run reliably.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#39]
The  10mm Auto is a great round.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

To be curious what load Gold Dot?  Seems odd for quality ammo like that to not penetrate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's was from speer. I think it was 124+p but I'm not 100% sure. I think all my gold dot stuff now is 147.

I mean a rib to the heart is probably around 12". I wouldn't call it poor performance, just outside the performance parameter.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's was from speer. I think it was 124+p but I'm not 100% sure. I think all my gold dot stuff now is 147.

I mean a rib to the heart is probably around 12". I wouldn't call it poor performance, just outside the performance parameter.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply... I'd say you did pretty darn good at 14:1 lol.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 124gr +P is our duty load. Let's just say it's very effective on people.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Best millimeter is always worth having.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I want the new P320 XTen, but built with the compensation of the Spectre Comp,

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#45]

I'm kind of meh on that, but I've been lusting after a 10MM P220 to sit next to my G20.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Worth having?
View Quote

In 1911 type guns, no.

In practically any other type of pistol? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#47]
10mm is a good choice for a woods gun if you are:

a) more concerned about two legged predators than the four legged kind and want the increased capacity; or
b) are not a competent revolver shooter.

I have a G20gen 4 that has been on many a hunt with me.  I also have a pre-lock 629 in .44 Rem . Mag, a Ruger SBH in .44 Rem Mag, and a Ruger SRH Alaskan in .454 Casull.  If I am in the brown bear woods, I usually choose one of the wheel guns.  Otherwise, I grab the G20.

For the guys who think their 9mm is just as good, I won't argue with you.  I have many handguns, many of which are chambered in 9mm NATO, but I rarely take one in the woods.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Does a wild bear shit in the woods?
View Quote

Not after you shoot him with a 10mm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
10mm is a good choice for a woods gun if you are:

a) more concerned about two legged predators than the four legged kind and want the increased capacity; or
b) are not a competent revolver shooter.
View Quote

Or
c) don't want to haul around a huge, heavy-ass revolver every time you go hiking.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top