Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm down.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was and you can tell he was in the back seat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The cat launch looked real...
It was and you can tell he was in the back seat.
I've barely ever touched an F-18 and I can see he's in the back seat.  Not that it takes away from the ride I'm guessing.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm down.
View Quote
I was blown away as a 15 year old seeing the first one at the theater ... this one looks just as fun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
he may want to tighten up them belts a bit

Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/UF9mOGv.gif
View Quote
That also looks like the same helmet Maverick was wearing in Top Gun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dislocate a shoulder if he punched. Also, clearly in the back seat in this scene.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Of course hollywood has to have a female pilot to please the liberals.
View Quote
That’s not a big deal really since there are indeed female fighter pilots.

It’s the other bullshit they’ll try to put in there. I’m sure the new Goose will be a trans person of color with a disability.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm erect
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  I'm pretty sure it's a combat edge (or whatever the Navy calls their version) helmet.  The didn't exist back then.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
So the Tomcat scene at the end got me thinking......

The film crew came out to IKE last year and one of the crew said the plot was Maverick steals an Iranian F-14. I thought it was bullshit to throw us off the real plot but if an F-14 is in the movie.....who knows.

Edit: Lincoln not IKE
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Should be  "Old Midget Flys a Jet" not holding any hope... sorry Tom.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Music in the trailer reminds me of the Blade Runner 2049 and Terminator Dark Fate trailers.  Will watch.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is Goose's transgender son.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How about an Iranian F14 defected and Mav has to fly into Iranian territory with it for some sort of mission?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the Tomcat at the end...flying over mountains.
The Iranians have F-14's, and mountains, and they're not a major US movie market country that Hollywood would refuse to risk offending (coughCHINAcough).  Assuming the bad guys ain't aliens my money is on Iran.  I wouldn't be astonished if this went in a Firefox direction, Mav steals an Iranian Tomcat after being shot down on a mission over Tehran.
How about an Iranian F14 defected and Mav has to fly into Iranian territory with it for some sort of mission?
like to save his Dad

Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So, you think Navy gave him the keys to an F18?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm betting he's actually piloting those. Not tandom or cgi.
So, you think Navy gave him the keys to an F18?
Absolutely no mothafuckin' way he is soloing in a real F/A-18.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ll wait for Netflix.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So the Tomcat scene at the end got me thinking......

The film crew came out to IKE last year and one of the crew said the plot was Maverick steals an Iranian F-14. I thought it was bullshit to throw us off the real plot but if an F-14 is in the movie.....who knows.

Edit: Lincoln not IKE
View Quote
So Firefox, but without the whole CIA plot to make it actually somewhat believable?
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I want to know what he's flying here.

Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’d say he has a great life.
View Quote
No shit...He May be bat-shit insane but there’s not a guy here that wouldn’t trade shoes with him. I personally think he’s a good actor and has for the exception of a couple flicks, always made good movies.

I don’t hate on him, I hope he insists the realism and epic ness be there. Otherwise why would you do it and blackened the original, it’s not like he needs the money or can’t get any other role. This could live up to the hype and if done right, surpass the original.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Needs more equal opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’ve heard similar complaints
View All Quotes
So he is disrespecting the very people he is pretending to be?

Wow
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tom Cruise doesn't know how to make a bad movie.
View Quote
That second Jack Reacher was ass...
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I feel like I am repeating myself but he was in the front seat with an instructor in the back. Or maybe reverse but he was 100% flying. My JOs had even heard him on the radio while airborne.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The navy said no.

But if anyone could learn it would be that little dude Tom.
I feel like I am repeating myself but he was in the front seat with an instructor in the back. Or maybe reverse but he was 100% flying. My JOs had even heard him on the radio while airborne.
Impressive, is he to old to be a reserve fighter pilot?
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am literally telling you he was doing that. He flew with VFA-122 all summer last year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If someone told me Tom Cruise was actually piloting the F-18 in those scenes, I'd believe it.  I'm 100% sure he's flying the P-51.
I am literally telling you he was doing that. He flew with VFA-122 all summer last year.
Pffft. How would you know that?

Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
like to save his Dad

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the Tomcat at the end...flying over mountains.
The Iranians have F-14's, and mountains, and they're not a major US movie market country that Hollywood would refuse to risk offending (coughCHINAcough).  Assuming the bad guys ain't aliens my money is on Iran.  I wouldn't be astonished if this went in a Firefox direction, Mav steals an Iranian Tomcat after being shot down on a mission over Tehran.
like to save his Dad

Col. Chappy, is that you?
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#30]
My nipples are hard.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#31]
So he gets shot down over Iran and steals a F-14 to get back. I wonder if the space suit is suppose to be super modern, or an old tech suit he steals when he takes the F-14?

CWatson
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The navy said no.

But if anyone could learn it would be that little dude Tom.
In the Air Force you have to be in pilot training by 28.5 years old.  So....probably.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Unless I'm wrong, no 18's have dual controls, so while the IP could coach him, he couldn't do anything but pull the plug if shit went sideways.
Tom doesn't own that plane, the taxpayers do.
Seriously, how'd he manage to get in the front seat?
View Quote
The F-18F has provisions for dual controls.
The aft stick is mechanically linked to the front stick.

2.10.9 Flight Controls.
2.10.9.1 Stick. A traditional center mounted control stick is used to provide pitch and roll inputs to
the FCS. Since there is no mechanical linkage between the stick and the FCCs or the flight control
surfaces, stick feel is provided by two feel-spring assemblies and two eddy current dampers. The feel
spring assemblies provide a linear stick force versus stick displacement gradient in each axis. Two
4-channel position sensors, one in each axis, measure stick displacement and send longitudinal and
lateral stick commands to the FCCs proportional to stick displacement. Stick force and displacement
are listed in figure 2-23 for full stick travel. The eddy current dampers provide stick motion damping
in each axis. Additionally, the control stick is mass balanced to minimize longitudinal stick movement
resulting from accelerations normally experienced during catapult launch.

In the F/A-18F (trainer configuration), a control stick is also fitted in the rear cockpit and is
mechanically linked to the one in the front cockpit.

2.10.9.2 Rudder Pedals. Two rudder pedals (left and right) are used to provide directional inputs to
the FCS for yaw/roll control inflight or NWS control with WonW. Since there is no mechanical linkage
between the rudder pedals and the FCCs or the flight control surfaces, rudder pedal feel is provided
by two feel-spring assemblies. The feel spring assemblies provide a linear pedal force versus
displacement gradient. Two 4-channel position sensors, one on each pedal, measure pedal displacement
and send directional commands to the FCCs proportional to pedal displacement. Rudder force
and displacement are listed in figure 2-23 for full pedal travel. The rudder pedals are also used to
provide NWS commands and to actuate toe-operated wheel brakes.

In the F/A-18F (trainer configuration), two rudder pedals are also fitted in the rear cockpit but are
not mechanically linked to the rudder pedals in the front cockpit. Pedal inputs from either cockpit are
summed together and transmitted to the FCCs. A half pedal input from the front cockpit and a half
pedal input from the rear cockpit results in a full rudder pedal command to the FCCs. Similarly,
opposing rudder pedal inputs in each cockpit cancel each other.

The EA-18G is the same as the F-18F except that for most of the time it is not configured as a trainer.
The aft throttle has no button for the chaff dispenser.

The aft stick trigger and A/G weapon release button are not functional.
The rear cockpit A/A weapon select switch does not automatically select A/A
master mode. From the rear cockpit, A/A master mode must be entered by actuation of the A/A master.

They made Tom Cruise fly the aircraft through movie magic.

Both the pilot and TC were dressed in the same flight gear.
Both the forward and aft cockpit had camera placements in the same place.

Both the pilot and TC made the same movements in the plane with their heads, hands and body placement.

The movie magic came in with CGI, for certain scenes they would CGI swap the forward cockpit with the aft one.

They filmed aircraft movements over and over, selected the ones that "looked right" and used them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#34]
My bet?  He is the last Tomcat pilot left in the Navy and they need someone to fly an F-14 OPFOR as they work up to attack Iran.

Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Lets hope Charlie does not make an appearance.............
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#36]
They have a PC chick pilot, where's the tranny or non binary ones too?
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#37]
The original was a great movie for the time, so I'll have to see this one also. The wifey will be all, well.......you know......! Mac
ETA: Does "goose" survive in this one??
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

2.10.9 Flight Controls.
2.10.9.1 Stick. A traditional center mounted control stick is used to provide pitch and roll inputs to
the FCS. Since there is no mechanical linkage between the stick and the FCCs or the flight control
surfaces, stick feel is provided by two feel-spring assemblies and two eddy current dampers. The feel
spring assemblies provide a linear stick force versus stick displacement gradient in each axis. Two
4-channel position sensors, one in each axis, measure stick displacement and send longitudinal and
lateral stick commands to the FCCs proportional to stick displacement. Stick force and displacement
are listed in figure 2-23 for full stick travel. The eddy current dampers provide stick motion damping
in each axis. Additionally, the control stick is mass balanced to minimize longitudinal stick movement

In the F/A-18F (trainer configuration), a control stick is also fitted in the rear cockpit and is

2.10.9.2 Rudder Pedals. Two rudder pedals (left and right) are used to provide directional inputs to
the FCS for yaw/roll control inflight or NWS control with WonW. Since there is no mechanical linkage
between the rudder pedals and the FCCs or the flight control surfaces, rudder pedal feel is provided
by two feel-spring assemblies. The feel spring assemblies provide a linear pedal force versus
displacement gradient. Two 4-channel position sensors, one on each pedal, measure pedal displacement
and send directional commands to the FCCs proportional to pedal displacement. Rudder force
and displacement are listed in figure 2-23 for full pedal travel. The rudder pedals are also used to

In the F/A-18F (trainer configuration), two rudder pedals are also fitted in the rear cockpit but are
not mechanically linked to the rudder pedals in the front cockpit. Pedal inputs from either cockpit are
summed together and transmitted to the FCCs. A half pedal input from the front cockpit and a half
pedal input from the rear cockpit results in a full rudder pedal command to the FCCs. Similarly,

The EA-18G is the same as the F-18F except that for most of the time it is not configured as a trainer.

master mode. From the rear cockpit, A/A master mode must be entered by actuation of the A/A master.

Both the pilot and TC made the same movements in the plane with their heads, hands and body placement.

The movie magic came in with CGI, for certain scenes they would CGI swap the forward cockpit with the aft one.

They filmed aircraft movements over and over, selected the ones that "looked right" and used them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless I'm wrong, no 18's have dual controls, so while the IP could coach him, he couldn't do anything but pull the plug if shit went sideways.
Tom doesn't own that plane, the taxpayers do.
Seriously, how'd he manage to get in the front seat?

2.10.9 Flight Controls.

I take it you didn't see the 14 posts by FlyNavy75 lol
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Isn’t flying that low over the desert going to suck in a load of sand and disintegrate the engines?

Will watch anyway
View Quote
Not on a CGI plane.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I want to know what he's flying here.

https://i.imgur.com/uIZow9Y.png
View Quote
Guessing he’s a test pilot, when he’s talking to Ed Harris you can see his collar and it looks like the same one that hooks up to this helmet. That’d be fun if he was flying a tic tax ufo....
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Dislocate a shoulder if he punched. Also, clearly in the back seat in this scene.
View Quote
Speaking of punching...

the original Top Gun was on last night.

I started thinking about the ejection scene with Goose slamming into the canopy, so I had to do a bing image search on "F-14 ejection seat"

When Goose pulled those black and yellow "cords" or "ropes" up top, I thought those were like connected to a "curtain" of sorts that got pulled down over the pilot's or RIO's face and upper body???

It also looks like the top of the ejection seat is designed to punch through a canopy if it has to all the while protecting the head/neck/spine???

@FlyNavy75
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm sure it has nothing to do with our country having shit tons of female pilots these days...
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I had a friend who was a private pilot looking to get into a corporate job when the original came out. He loved the movie and enlisted in Navy Navcad program. Got his wings, eventually became a top-gun instructor and retired from the USN. Part of this movie was filmed in my backyard at Lemoore NAS. I will pay the $$ to watch it on the big screen.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Speaking of punching...

the original Top Gun was on last night.

I started thinking about the ejection scene with Goose slamming into the canopy, so I had to do a bing image search on "F-14 ejection seat"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-ejection-rh-l.jpg

When Goose pulled those black and yellow "cords" or "ropes" up top, I thought those were like connected to a "curtain" of sorts that got pulled down over the pilot's or RIO's face and upper body???

It also looks like the top of the ejection seat is designed to punch through a canopy if it has to all the while protecting the head/neck/spine???

@FlyNavy75
View Quote
All seat will have little spikes on top to help bust the canopy in case it failed to blow for some reason. That’s also why you don’t want to sit so high that your helmet is above the seat.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Whoah! Nice! He is carrying GBU’s in the pull over, not AIM-9s. I saw that when the GIF was posted LOL. Soooo, what is the G-rating for those pylons with a load mounted?
View Quote
https://info.publicintelligence.net/F18-EF-000.pdf
4.2 EXTERNAL STORES LIMITATIONS ............................. I-4-13
This will give you an idea - This is for LOT 21 Aircraft.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm sure it has nothing to do with our country having shit tons of female pilots these days...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just under 5%
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I take it you didn't see the 14 posts by FlyNavy75 lol
View Quote
I added more detail, that's all.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://info.publicintelligence.net/F18-EF-000.pdf
4.2 EXTERNAL STORES LIMITATIONS ............................. I-4-13
This will give you an idea - This is for LOT 21 Aircraft.
View Quote
Two GBU-24s.....gross.

Worst weapon to plan for an employ and it’s not close. Carrying one is rare, two is unheard of.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He was a LT in 1986, so he's got at least four years in, right? Figure a 1982 Commissioning. It's 2019, so a minimum of 37 years. Shouldn't he be wearing stars on his shoulder boards by now?
View Quote
You know how we can tell you didn’t watch the trailer?
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Upper handle is the face curtain handle.
The lower between the legs handle is for non-curtain rocket ride.

When I did the ejection seat training we did both.

Given my choice I would take the face curtain handle every time.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top