Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I just read the overview. Is it actually rolling back any existing requirements? All I’m seeing is that it lowers the future fuel economy requirements from 5% increase per year to 1.5% per year.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trump could announce Cash for Clunkers 2.0 and half of GD would publically fellate him.
View Quote
Well if Hillary was president we all would have been burning in hell for the past 3 years so......

P.S. I'm keeping my clunkers. I don't care about crash safety.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Cash for Hybrids and EV's. Think of the battery landfills.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You should read it. You’ll be HUGEly disappointed, like I was. It’s as far from what he’s pitching it as, as you can get.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be HUGE

You should read it. You’ll be HUGEly disappointed, like I was. It’s as far from what he’s pitching it as, as you can get.

It is actually pretty awesome.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/31/trump-eases-up-obama-era-fuel-efficiencies-rules-cars-trucks/5093923002/

The final rule will increase stringency of Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) and CO2 emissions standards by 1.5% each year through model year 2026, compared with the standards issued in 2012 under President Barack Obama, which would have required about 5% annual increases over that period.

In effect, the standard will require cars and light trucks to average roughly 40 miles per gallon by 2025, down from about 50 miles per gallon under the Obama rule, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

The regulation was revised from last summer when the Trump administration proposed freezing the standards. Officials said they adjusted the proposal to include a "realistic and achievable" increase after receiving more than 700,00 comments from the industry and the public.

This is a big deal. CAFE is being used to stifle diesel and gasoline vehicles and artificially push buyers into the lie of electric cars through government regulation, and bullshit legislation which favors city fags and electric lobbyists while the majority of the country pays the price.

I'd wish he'd completely freeze CAFE, but this is a damn fine move.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#6]
The way I read the new guidelines is nothing is changing they're just slowing down the timeline of the standards for fuel efficiency

Everybody stop dreaming of non ethanol and dirty diesel, it's not going to happen and the vehicles will remain as strong as a beer can.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just read the overview. Is it actually rolling back any existing requirements? All I’m seeing is that it lowers the future fuel economy requirements from 5% increase per year to 1.5% per year.
View Quote

This. Not nearly as exciting as I was hoping.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#8]
He is cutting Obongo's 55 mpg to 40 mpg averages.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#9]
He should either just freeze the standard or better yet, roll it backwards, or even better, mix cafe standard.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He should either just freeze the standard or better yet, roll it backwards, or even better, mix cafe standard.
View Quote

Dereulate diesel!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Please get rid of Def and dpf
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Deregulation doesn't affect prices?  That's an interesting argument from a conservative.
View Quote

what is he deregulating that is going to make purchasing a new vehicle cheaper? from what i have seen it relaxes the efficiency standard doesn't eliminate it.

the auto manufacturers aren't just going to decide to price a $40K truck cheaper because some standards were relaxed. also the government still has the same level of control over the regulation placed on manufacturers they are not stepping out of the way they just changed some things.

I said it will cost you more money which it will, if you have to buy a new car and take on a new payment to take advantage of a slight relaxation in efficiency standards how is it not costing you more money?

if i am wrong about what he is planning on changing let me know, i have no problem saying i was wrong. i don't believe the government is doing something to make anything cheaper i believe what they are doing is a political move one way or another.

i don't have to support everything trump does, if you cant recognize this more than likely isn't a sharp deregulation that will bring back all sorts of awesome things people want i don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Meh, as long as peeps are stupid it does not matter.....I saw six people that appeared to be of the "recent immigrant" variety crammed into a old Camry not a half-hour ago when I went to the PO to drop-off a small package.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

California needs to be flushed and exercised like a satanic demon and they are the deep state run by marxist mexicans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make V8s (and diesels) great again!!!

California is PISSED about this, almost more then the virus.

"the earth will now be ruined thanks to Orange Man and our dreams of a future without personal transportation have suffered a huge setback"

California needs to be flushed and exercised like a satanic demon and they are the deep state run by marxist mexicans.

Says the guy ruled by actual commies
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
BMW, Sterling, Virginia - a hundred of these BMW i3 on the lot the last time I went over there. No one buying them. I wonder why.  Screw .govs CAFE mandates.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like Trump is looking to create a real Peoples' Car.

Now where have I heard that before?

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And Trump could announce a major revamping of out of control auto regulations and 1/2 of Gd would still attack him just because their guy sucked at campaigning...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trump could announce Cash for Clunkers 2.0 and half of GD would publically fellate him.

And Trump could announce a major revamping of out of control auto regulations and 1/2 of Gd would still attack him just because their guy sucked at campaigning...

More like they didn't bother reading the dam article.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an idea. Just get rid of all fuel economy rules besides listing what the City/HWY mpg rating and let the consumer to decide. Freedom sucks and is scary!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Keeping my old jeep, thanks though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

what is he deregulating that is going to make purchasing a new vehicle cheaper? from what i have seen it relaxes the efficiency standard doesn't eliminate it.

the auto manufacturers aren't just going to decide to price a $40K truck cheaper because some standards were relaxed. also the government still has the same level of control over the regulation placed on manufacturers they are not stepping out of the way they just changed some things.

I said it will cost you more money which it will, if you have to buy a new car and take on a new payment to take advantage of a slight relaxation in efficiency standards how is it not costing you more money?

if i am wrong about what he is planning on changing let me know, i have no problem saying i was wrong. i don't believe the government is doing something to make anything cheaper i believe what they are doing is a political move one way or another.

i don't have to support everything trump does, if you cant recognize this more than likely isn't a sharp deregulation that will bring back all sorts of awesome things people want i don't know what to tell you.
View Quote

That's where you're potentially wrong. Americans mostly don't want fuel efficient cars, so manufacturers incentivize the sale of small, efficient vehicles by making little or no profit on them and jacking up the price on gas guzzling vehicles to compensate. Reducing the number of efficient cars manufacturers must sell reduces the amount they have to jack up the prices on trucks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounding more like a Democrat these days.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If he really wants to help Americans, he should trash the T2/3/4 diesel emissions bullshit (EGRs, DPFs and DEF), and allow engineers the time to design an actual solution that isn't designed to murder the engines it's placed on instead of the daisy chain clusterfuck of systems we have now.

Even if tailpipe emissions went up, overall emissions would go down, because the daisy chain clusterfuck systems actually burn more fuel.
View Quote

This, I hate putting cat piss in 3 of my tractors/windrowers.  Fucking BS!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#24]
My 4 cylinder car engine puts out more HP and Torque than any factory V-8 when I was growing up. It gets 33 MPG on average. The wife's gets 38+ for basically the same engine in a newer model.
Imagine if these were allowed to be tuned to the optimal tune instead of the .gov standards.
My last motorcycle would bake your leg on the catalytic converter. After a tune, the engine cooled, the MPG went up 17%, HP increased, the engine ran smooth and it put out less exhaust signature per the exhaust sniffer they use to test engines in some areas. Had a friend check it out. He was floored, but didn't know any better.
Vehicles are tuned to meet emissions standards, and I really wonder what those are. Lots of new things and far better performance these days, but imagine if someone really wanted to do something good.
Unfortunately regulation has taken the place of motivation.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone who decides to waste their time reading will see that this is not a win, it’s a slightly better loss.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It is actually pretty awesome.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/31/trump-eases-up-obama-era-fuel-efficiencies-rules-cars-trucks/5093923002/

This is a big deal. CAFE is being used to stifle diesel and gasoline vehicles and artificially push buyers into the lie of electric cars through government regulation, and bullshit legislation which favors city fags and electric lobbyists while the majority of the country pays the price.

I'd wish he'd completely freeze CAFE, but this is a damn fine move.
View Quote

If he would have frozen it, I’d agree that it was a good move. Forcing increased fuel efficiency standards of any kind is not a win to me.

This is akin to making New York allow the sale of 25 round AR mags.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Diesel delete!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is this like cash-4-clunkers 2.0?
View Quote

Well, it certainly isn't reading comprehension 1.0
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ITT we learn that not a lot of people on ARF are  vehicle guys
They might have a favorite brand or preferred koolaid, but the appear to know fuckall about the EPA/CAFE bullshit that's been driving a lot of the designs, engines, and thusly prices.

Trump did us a favor, and with this is pushing the market back towards the side of "organic consumer wants" vs "asshurt lefty envirowacky bureaucrats", and because he packaged it in media-palatable language?
They're totally fooled.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Wait until you see what kind of airplanes I can put in the sky with a Public Use letter
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They might have a favorite brand or preferred koolaid, but the appear to know fuckall about the EPA/CAFE bullshit that's been driving a lot of the designs, engines, and thusly prices.

Trump did us a favor, and with this is pushing the market back towards the side of "organic consumer wants" vs "asshurt lefty envirowacky bureaucrats", and because he packaged it in media-palatable language?
They're totally fooled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're totally fooled.

Yeah, no shit. This is a 100% good move (one of many he has made over the years with getting rid of and rolling back federal regulations) and people here are still bitching.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, no shit. This is a 100% good move (one of many he has made over the years with getting rid of and rolling back federal regulations) and people here are still bitching.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're totally fooled.

If he labelled it honestly and called it the "Hellcat Affordability Act", they might get it, but it would be harder to slide past the media.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I just want him to unfuck gas cans.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Is this a "safe" thread ? ? ?

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sounding more like a Democrat these days.
View Quote

Yep. Drastically reducing the previous CAFE standard sure sounds like a democrat move. Get a grip.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

He’s not rolling back anything.

The fuel efficiency standards are going to be more strict than last year. Rolling back doesn’t mean making things slightly less bad than terrible.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I doubt he could make it worse than the obama rules
View Quote

He's relaxing the Obama rules.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except he's not, he's undoing Obama CAFE standards.

It's a good thing, unless you are nevertrump and have to hate whatever he does.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sounds like Trump is looking to create a real Peoples' Car.

Now where have I heard that before?

View Quote

Bring back the station wagon, a practical family car.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't get exactly what I wanted. Fucking drumpft
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If he dumps the cafe standards that would help everyone.
View Quote

So would mandating that stupid backup camera....

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Now we're talking about saving cash and clunkers?

Anyone ever REALLY seen him and Obama at the same time? The inauguration could have been a double...
View Quote

He's undoing Obama regs.

As in, doing the opposite.

The nevertrumps in this thread
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Glorious
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Gay.

Get rid of CAFE, get rid of all alternative fuel tax breaks.  Let's see if the environweenies actually want to pay for this shit, or they just want to virtue signal by having us pay via government regulation
View Quote

I don't think he can get rid of CAFE without Nancy being on board. He's doing what he can within the executive branch. All he can do is fine tune.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He’s not rolling back anything.

The fuel efficiency standards are going to be more strict than last year. Rolling back doesn’t mean making things slightly less bad than terrible.
View Quote

He's reducing the increase. Obama devised a nasty increase which would have been difficult or impossible to meet. This is a very good thing.

It would be nice to get rid of CAFE, but that would take Congress.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If he would have frozen it, I’d agree that it was a good move. Forcing increased fuel efficiency standards of any kind is not a win to me.

This is akin to making New York allow the sale of 25 round AR mags.
View Quote

He's reduced the rate of increase. That in itself is a big win.

25 round mags > 10 round mags.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top