BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went and test drove a new Tacoma on Monday.  The manual transmission was awful
View Quote
It's really that bad? Damn. I'm shopping for either a frontier or tacoma crew cab with manual transmission on the next 6 months. My options for manual transmission trucks is getting more and more limited.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's really that bad? Damn. I'm shopping for either a frontier or tacoma crew cab with manual transmission on the next 6 months. My options for manual transmission trucks is getting more and more limited.
View Quote
Yeah, 'cause that's all that's left for M/T trucks. Maybe a Dodge Ram? Don't know about that one.
If you want to row your own gears in a small pickup, you're stuck with either of those. Sucks, 'cause I really like the Canyon. Wish it could be gotten with three pedals.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The transmission sucks, the engine has a habit of burning oil, they may or may not have actually tightened the differential plugs at the factory, the 19th century leaf springs on the back are prone to squeaking, and it has drums in the rear like a shitbox from the Carter administration. I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

Oh yes, it's priced more than certain full-size trucks.

But for all that money you get a sticker that says TRD, so you know it's an off-road performer.
View Quote
Those were the first thing to go on mine. Gaudy fucking stickers on the back quarter... 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently bought a 4runner after looking at the new Tacomas as well. My salesman owns a 3rd gen, and he admits it's been in the shop for engine related warranty work. His anecdotal observation was that he's seen more new Tacomas in for warranty work than any other Toyota model at this dealer. The trusted 4.0/5spd auto powertrain combination is very reliable, albeit not as exciting as the 3.5.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My '16  3.5 doesn't have the beans or the solid feel of my '06 4.0.  To be fair, the 06 was a 6 speed manual and my new one is an auto.

I just received the recall on the rear diff .

I don't much care for the cartridge oil filter in a plastic housing  that is only accessible by dropping the skid plate, but it's not that difficult, just a pain in the ass.

And as I report in all these threads I snapped the plastic rear bumper crossing a wash the first time I took it off road.

I've only had the new one for a year and I don't hate it, but it's just not the same quality as my last one IMO.
View Quote
And the 2nd gen is a step down in quality from the 1st gen.

More power, more comfort, more features for sure.
But they are just not the same as the Hilux/pickup and the 1st gen Tacomas. Not bad trucks, just not the same.

Not hating, I have 3 early pickups, owned 2 1st gen tacomas and my current daily is a 2nd gen.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn this thread is kinda talking me out of trading my 2015 dc mt Tacoma in on a 4runner since I won't be able to replace it with a decent one later.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What all are the issues that are commonly found in this gen?  IIRC the tranny has issues, but didn't know about anything else.
View Quote
Trannies always have issues.

Oh, wait. Wrong thread...
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Wtf
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Old tried and true tech is the best tech.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn this thread is kinda talking me out of trading my 2015 dc mt Tacoma in on a 4runner since I won't be able to replace it with a decent one later.
View Quote
Hopefully any issues with the current gen Tacomas will continue to improve. The first couple years of the second generation Tacomas had their share of problems. My 2007 had its issues too. Actually my 2015 had a leaking front differential almost right away; fixed under warranty and no other issues with the truck yet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Drive a 3G Tacoma, and then go drive a new Chevy Colorado.
View Quote
This.

We were looking at the midsize truck market, thinking probably a tacoma, and just bought a new Colorado and could not be happier with the purchase.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm as loyal to Toyota as one can get. But I will not own another Toyota pickup until I can figure out how to register an imported hilux diesel.

I'm all for made in USA when possible.  But San Antonio is not Japan.  I've owned more than a few of both, and they're just different.  I think free trade is a good idea if only because it lets me buy real Toyotas cheaper.  

But I'm open to the idea that it's all the EPA and NHTSAs fault, though the newer ones still suck compared to the older Japanese ones.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, 'cause that's all that's left for M/T trucks. Maybe a Dodge Ram? Don't know about that one.
If you want to row your own gears in a small pickup, you're stuck with either of those. Sucks, 'cause I really like the Canyon. Wish it could be gotten with three pedals.
View Quote
You can get a dodge 3/4 & 1 ton with a manual, but I don't need a truck that big and would rather spend that extra money on something else. I think the Colorado and canyon are available with a manual, but only on the extended cab 2wd  4cyl model. No thanks.

Maybe I should just refurbish an older K1500 and throw in the Tremec 6spd with aftermarket transfer case. Maybe an LS6 to make it keep up with traffic.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Drive a 3G Tacoma, and then go drive a new Chevy Colorado.
View Quote
I drive a new Colorado at work. It fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Have/had both a 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen, here is my personal take.
(Gave dad my 2nd Gen, he runs it pretty hard)

People mainly hate it because the 3.5L V6 sucks... in my opinion its in no way better than the previous 4.0L V6 it replaced.

The early 3rd gens shipping had transmissions that were too shift happy as well, always trying to shift into 6th gear at every opportunity (for mpg reasons I suppose).
Toyota has a re flash for the software to help fix with it, I had it done to mine. It did genuinely help a bit.  

Also some issues where certain models left the factory with low fluid issues are another peeve to many.

Once I had the above issues addressed its been fine, I dont have any reservations that the truck will be just as reliable as my 2nd gen was.

That being said I probably wont keep it. I'll probably end up with a 4Runner or Tundra by the end of the year, need more room.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a '16.
My main complaints are the rear diff howl and the A/C.
They already replaced my rear diff and it's back just as loud as it was before.
The A/C, first it has no true low setting.  I should be able to turn it down to a trickle of air.  Nope, even when I turn it off there is a lot of air coming in at highway speeds.  Second, the temps from 60-70 pretty much all feel identical, even though you can adjust 1 degree at a time.

The funky shift pattern was a problem, but they did a software update and it's a lot better now.
View Quote
I have a 94 Toyota 4x4 and its still on its original rear diff at 278k miles
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#19]
My 09 had original rear diff fluid until last month (300,000 miles)

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a 94 Toyota 4x4 and its still on its original rear diff at 278k miles
View Quote
My 96 is at 398k and I've only replaced the starter and alternator.

I'm hoping my 17 is as trouble free.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a 17 4Runner because I didn't want to miss the awesome 4.0/5sp my 11 Double Cab Taco had.

Love it so far.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Toyota has a long history of the customer always being wrong.

Recent examples include

Tundra air induction failures, Toyota refused to replace them under warranty.

Tacoma and FJ cruiser six speed manual transmission throwout bearing failures, Toyota blamed water entry, even on cars that had never seen water crossings.

FJ cruiser front fender cracking, Toyota claimed it was heavy aftermarket bumpers, even after it started happening on vehicles without bumpers.

Tacoma four cylinder sludging problems, Toyota claimed it was infrequent oil changes even in the vehicles that were lubed at the dealership every 3000 miles.

Fifth generation 4Runner door lock actuation failures, Toyota just is ignoring this.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#23]
get a tundra.
you'll find out what all of us who owned tacomas found out the hard way, that you need more space.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
get a tundra.
you'll find out what all of us who owned tacomas found out the hard way, that you need more space.
View Quote
I drove my uncle's new Tundra for an afternoon. I wasn't a fan.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Recent examples include

Tacoma and FJ cruiser six speed manual transmission throwout bearing failures, Toyota blamed water entry, even on cars that had never seen water crossings.

FJ cruiser front fender cracking, Toyota claimed it was heavy aftermarket bumpers, even after it started happening on vehicles without bumpers.

Tacoma four cylinder sludging problems, Toyota claimed it was infrequent oil changes even in the vehicles that were lubed at the dealership every 3000 miles.

Fifth generation 4Runner door lock actuation failures, Toyota just is ignoring this.
View Quote
Don't get me started about the 6 speed manual in the 2nd gens.
My truck had a brand new crate trans installed right before I bought it. That was ~ 30k ago and it is already making noise. It is also the worst manual I have ever driven in anything even remotely modern (say 1970+).
I was told it is my lack of manual transmission experience that is the cause of my issue.

Yeah, I have never had a daily that wasn't a manual. And I have ~400,000 road miles under my belt (used to drive for a living).
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Recent examples include

View Quote
I'll make sure to keep an eye out for the actuator issue on my 17 4runner.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My truck had a brand new crate trans installed right before I bought it. That was ~ 30k ago and it is already making noise. It is also the worst manual I have ever driven in anything even remotely modern (say 1970+).
I was told it is my lack of manual transmission experience that is the cause of my issue.

Yeah, I have never had a daily that wasn't a manual. And I have ~400,000 road miles under my belt (used to drive for a living).
View Quote
My first Tacoma was the 6MT. I grew up driving manuals, in fact at that time I never owned an automatic. With every MT before that, I always felt after a bit you got kind of that 'one with the vehicle' type of feeling where shifting and starting out from a stop was as natural as walking. In 8 years, I never entirely got that feeling with that truck. I always felt it was the throttle-by-wire, my first. I hated how if you blipped the throttle the response was really slow, and when you took your foot off the accelerator the RPMs would hang and come down slowly; supposedly it's an emissions thing. It prevents unburned fuel from going out the exhaust. But it certainly wasn't ideal for a manual transmission.

When I traded in my 2007 for a 2015 Tacoma, I went with an automatic; the first I've ever owned. It's alright. Sometimes I really like having the auto, sometimes I wish it was a manual. I did like the 6MT for towing believe it or not; it seemed appropriately geared for it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Over 12k on my 2017. Flawless in deep snow and off road. Consistently between 22-26mpg on 2 lane highway. No complaints, love the thing, built like a tank.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Only had to replace an 02 sensor on my 1st G 2003 TRD 5 speed manual V6 outside of normal maintenance.  Been flawless except for a water leak coming in from passenger side cowling going under the glove box flowing under the carpet, got it about 90% resolved though
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My first Tacoma was the 6MT. I grew up driving manuals, in fact at that time I never owned an automatic. With every MT before that, I always felt after a bit you got kind of that 'one with the vehicle' type of feeling where shifting and starting out from a stop was as natural as walking. In 8 years, I never entirely got that feeling with that truck. I always felt it was the throttle-by-wire, my first. I hated how if you blipped the throttle the response was really slow, and when you took your foot off the accelerator the RPMs would hang and come down slowly; supposedly it's an emissions thing. It prevents unburned fuel from going out the exhaust. But it certainly wasn't ideal for a manual transmission.

When I traded in my 2007 for a 2015 Tacoma, I went with an automatic; the first I've ever owned. It's alright. Sometimes I really like having the auto, sometimes I wish it was a manual. I did like the 6MT for towing believe it or not; it seemed appropriately geared for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rev hang thing is annoying. Yes, from what I have read it is for emissions.
And if you drive it like grandma, it is just fine. But any sort of spirited driving results in frustration, missed shifts and expensive grinding sounds.
I cannot for the life of me snap a decent 1-2 shift in this damn thing.
Interesting part is it is just the 6 speed, the 5 speed in the 2nd gen 2wd Tacomas (the little base model trucks) is butter.
Wonder if I could live without 6th gear and I wonder if the 5 spd trans would bolt up and survive behind the 4.0.

There is a T-56 swap bellhousing/kit out there for the 4.0 but it is OMG spendy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#31]
If you are worried about head room get the TUNDRA. Just picked up a 2017 Tundra 1794. It's awesome.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a 16 TRD DCOR version, and I haven't have any problems with it.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
get a tundra.
View Quote

I have an O6 4 door Tacoma and 4 kids.  I disagree.  My son is buying my current truck so I need a new one.  If I get a tundra, its simply because I am leery of the new tacomas.  I may accept my inner homosexual and get the last of the previous gen 4runners.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top