BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Backup engines?  Soon as out of pic range, stow the sails and start the diesels.
View Quote

Tends to be the other way around - use the engine to move away from the dock and out into more open water, then raise the sails.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the ships are pretty cool and would like to tour one. I doubt this is as environmental sound as they think.

25 guys to move 24000 shipping containers vs 10 guys to move 2 containers. Is that not about 5000 times the labour force to achieve the same shipping? That’s if they move at the same speed. They better be some pretty green workers if this is the way foreword.

The other thing is I can’t even imagine the regulations and workers health and safety aspect of running a ship like that. Fall arrests and harnesses, eye wash stations by the flying jib, that sort of stuff. Then all the training with things like CPR, First Aid, Fire Safety, and god knows what else they would want the workers trained on, then in all likelihood they make one chocolate run the novelty wears off and you are back to training the next guy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s quite obviously a gimmick. The whole thing is probably owned by some much wealthier business or person using this thing as a tax write off.

But it’s still cool and I’d love to ride along on a tall ship like that for a few days.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont know about moving cargo but I could damn sure live on something like this while cruising the Pacific and the Med.

As for old sailing cargo vessels, there are tons of sailing barges for sale in Europe and other places.  No need to build new ones.  They could cleanup some of these and put them back in service in small canals and shallow rivers where a regular boat cant go.  A lot of these have been repurposed to live-aboards and they are neat.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Old ships are super cool. This is hanging on my wall. The detail is crazy insane and the rigging is mind boggling.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's bring back the dark ages seems to be a climate change goal
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I started my marine career building wooden boats up in Maine, when the coastal schooner "craze" started to gain popularity.  I helped build the Dayspring at the North End boatyard in Rockland Maine, although I was just a simple laborer at the time, and didn't know much about building wooden boats, much less a 100ft+ schooner.  It ended up sinking as well.
View Quote

I would love to hear your opinions/experiences in wooden boat building. I have a stupid and likely wildly unrealistic dream of retiring early to build small wooden boats, despite having no boat building experience. Something about it feels very zen to me though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Old ships are super cool. This is hanging on my wall. The detail is crazy insane and the rigging is mind boggling.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480138/AAABQAQA-P907392_jpg-2815619.JPG
View Quote

Pretty.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

That might actually be fun.  Except for the Cutty Sark, the crew lived in two deck houses onboard.  She's worth the visit if your ever in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A Life Cycle Analysis completed in 2020 proves an EcoClipper ship will produce nearly 80% less carbon than a standard container vessel
View Quote

Example.   Modern container ship taking 10,000 containers (Not a verified number) emits X CO2.  Note that CO2 is awesome and is needed by plants including marigolds, landscaping shrubs, trees and crops.

EcoClipper produces 0.2X CO2.    Great.  Everyone should use EcoClipper.

Wait, I am not a liberal or climate change religious zealot.  We must adjust for the difference in containers.

EcoClipper can transport 2 containers or 10,000 containers / 2 containers or 5000 times less.  Thus EcoClipper uses 0.2X times 5000 or 1000X CO2 when you adjust for cargo load.

One thousand times more CO2 than the big container ship.  Adjust numbers as required.

EcoClipper is not really the green option after all.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol they just getting a jump on the zero carbon fuels dream dickhead Biden has.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Watch Captain Irving narrate the round the horn voyage of the barque Peking. Then see how many modern men could do that, if OSHA would even let them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That would actually be an interesting trip.
View Quote

Agreed. I have no problem with this. If it's economically viable, more power to them. Adding passengers is even better.

Having said that, the article says the ship can carry 70 tons of cargo...and then says it can carry the equivalent of two 20' containers. There ain't no way a loaded 20' container weighs 35 tons. More like 5 tons.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Political leanings or not, I'd love to see the Billionaires race each other to build a bigger Spanish Galleon and take to the seas... that would be an amazing sight. Has to be period correct for 85% of the materials and 100% of the power though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/b1ff9576c9bea7e726ec65927465d42b-2723154.jpg

Hipsters please...

Here is ship rigged Garthsnaid on any given workday in the final days of sail in the early 20s.  Hauling low value cargos long distance was the last gasp.  Steamships were expensive and coal hungry,  so the last route for them to take was the wool trade from OZ/NZ to Europe .

(I have some pics like this hosted from a prior thread)
View Quote

After looking at that photo for about a minute, I then saw them.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Let's bring back the dark ages seems to be a climate change goal
View Quote

It always was.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Agreed. I have no problem with this. If it's economically viable, more power to them. Adding passengers is even better.

Having said that, the article says the ship can carry 70 tons of cargo...and then says it can carry the equivalent of two 20' containers. There ain't no way a loaded 20' container weighs 35 tons. More like 5 tons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like they are saying the cargo hold has a volume equal to about two 20' containers, but the hull can carry up to 70 tons before the hull sits too low in the water to safely sail.

If you filled two 20' containers with iron ore, what would they weigh?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats neat. I'd jump onboard for a week just to say i did it. Well, as long as I got my rum ration.

Bluenose 2 in nova scotia is getting ready for a round the world trek, but they're not hauling cargo. Just a crew.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Where are the cannons? It needs cannons.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
These sailing vessels will never replace something like below and they arent trying to.  They are filling small niche markets and allowing people to claim climate/green points.

I just like it cause I love old sail vessels.

The Ever Ace consumes 217 tons of fuel per day so these companies aren't winning any green points, its why they will sponsor or fund some of these small sail companies.  It allows them to score some ESG points while trying to keep attention of their massive container ships

https://lirp.cdn-website.com/08d31351/dms3rep/multi/opt/312375-1-largest-container-ship-the-ever-ace-1920w.jpg
View Quote

Everything he said.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sounds like they are saying the cargo hold has a volume equal to about two 20' containers, but the hull can carry up to 70 tons before the hull sits too low in the water to safely sail.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'd be extremely heavy...but nobody fills containers with iron ore. Ore is bulk cargo, it is stored in holds. Containers are for goods.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

200,000 lbs each.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Last time I looked outside trees continue to grow and are renewable.

I’m wondering what you wipe your girl parts with?
View Quote

I think you missed his point. He's saying that any environmental benefits of sailing are negated by deforestation

P.S. I often misread your username as ctBBW. Yes I'm into that
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

200,000 lbs each.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

200,000 lbs each.

Then they wouldn't be able to fill the cargo hold even halfway with iron ore.  Probably not a good idea to haul a half (or less) filled hold of something like that, since rough seas could cause it to shift, which could cause a dangerous list to one side, followed by sinking.

Not an ore hauler, then.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I would love to hear your opinions/experiences in wooden boat building. I have a stupid and likely wildly unrealistic dream of retiring early to build small wooden boats, despite having no boat building experience. Something about it feels very zen to me though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started my marine career building wooden boats up in Maine, when the coastal schooner "craze" started to gain popularity.  I helped build the Dayspring at the North End boatyard in Rockland Maine, although I was just a simple laborer at the time, and didn't know much about building wooden boats, much less a 100ft+ schooner.  It ended up sinking as well.

These days there are a lot of resources available to get you going on the path to being a shipwright; in our area, some of the marine museums (St. Michaels Maritime Museum in St. Michaels Maryland comes to mind) offer short classes on wooden boat building, which is a good way to whet your appetite without giving up your day job.  There are also trade schools that offer certificate/degree programs that are much more intense and thorough, but most of them are resident-type programs lasting a year or two.  Of course, there is a plethora of books available too, some good, some not so good - the best I've used is Robert Steward's Boat Building Manual:

Attachment Attached File

The thing about boat building is that it encompasses nearly every trade and engineering skill, so there's a lot to learn;  carpentry, metal working, textiles, plastics, electrical, etc. - don't let that dissuade you tho'.  Also, wooden boat building is kind of a niche market - good materials are getting hard to find commercially, construction is laborious, and maintenance and upkeep for the end user is paramount to prevent the boat from literally rotting away.  So they get expensive, even for simple craft. The implication is that there is a limited market of buyers interested in investing in a wooden boat, and those that are, are interested in very high-end boats like Hinckleys, Chris Craft runabouts, etc.  Generally, they're pretty well off - so if you currently run in those circles, you've got a good chance of making some sales.

My interest in boat building started out at a young age; I built my first "boat" (really a raft) when I was 7 years old out of purloined liberated materials from construction sites around our subdivision. I had no clue about displacement or stability - Archimedes, pfffft, whadda those old farts know? - was my attitude at the time.  Wood floats == anything made out of wood should float too.  As it turned out, those things actually mattered.  After dragging my raft through the phragmites swamps of the Elizabeth River behind The Colonial grocery store, I pushed off from the shore with dreams of Huck Finn adventures fueling my imagination...only to have the raft submerge up my waist, then squirt out like a watermelon seed from under my feet.  Boatbuilding lesson #1: a) the sea is an unforgiving, harsh, cruel mistress  b) Ima need to steal liberate mo' wood.

By 13, I built a hydroplane in the basement to carry an outboard I found by the side of the road and got running.  I had to saw it in half to get it out the door because I forgot to think ahead - that thing turned out to be a lot of fun once I got it reassembled and launched.

I pursued wooden boat building in Maine after high school, and it seemed to be the only place on the East Coast where you could learn the trade - I did apprenticeships, took classes at the Wooden Boat Magazine school in Blue Hill, and worked in boatyards.  There was a lot going on at the time in boat building; when I lived in Camden, Bruce King and Phil Long were building Whitefin, a cold-molded maxi yacht; I would go down to the shipyard and ask a lot of questions, trying to get hired, but it never worked out.  Here it is going down the ways in 1983:

Attachment Attached File

I did manage to get hooked up with North End Shipyard in Rockland when the Dayspring construction was kicking off, I was a laborer, but was able to get a lot of experience steam-bending planks, caulking and paying seams, rigging work, etc.

I eventually went back to school and picked up an engineering degree, then ended up doing ship R&D model testing - the models were built out of wood at the time, so I just stepped right into the job.  Worked out pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Let's cut down entire forests that consume CO2 to build tens of thousands of ships to save the world for CO2!!!
View Quote

I had something, but you said it better!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Let's cut down entire forests that consume CO2 to build tens of thousands of ships to save the world for CO2!!!
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
 Also, wooden boat building is kind of a niche market - good materials are getting hard to find commercially, construction is laborious, and maintenance and upkeep for the end user is paramount to prevent the boat from literally rotting away.  
View Quote

Even for those of us that build from plans in magazine articles, using plywood and lumber from building supply stores, the quality of materials has been dropping over the last two or three decades, as prices have increased.

I was wanting to build a 16' rowing/sailing (plywood) dory this summer, to replace a decked canoe and a sailing dingy that rotted while I was going through physical therapy and a long recovery from a car wreck in 2005, but every time I see plywood prices I cringe and don't bother to check the prices of lumber for the frames.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A Nightmare Job, but it would be enlightening to take the cruise and learn how tough and resilient the sailors of old truly were.  
Would really make us appreciate our comfy modern life.
View Quote
Exactly, watch this and others like it.

"Lifeline? Our lifeline was don't let go."
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

These days there are a lot of resources available to get you going on the path to being a shipwright; in our area, some of the marine museums (St. Michaels Maritime Museum in St. Michaels Maryland comes to mind) offer short classes on wooden boat building, which is a good way to whet your appetite without giving up your day job.  There are also trade schools that offer certificate/degree programs that are much more intense and thorough, but most of them are resident-type programs lasting a year or two.  Of course, there is a plethora of books available too, some good, some not so good - the best I've used is Robert Steward's Boat Building Manual:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57997/Steward_jpg-2816276.JPG

The thing about boat building is that it encompasses nearly every trade and engineering skill, so there's a lot to learn;  carpentry, metal working, textiles, plastics, electrical, etc. - don't let that dissuade you tho'.  Also, wooden boat building is kind of a niche market - good materials are getting hard to find commercially, construction is laborious, and maintenance and upkeep for the end user is paramount to prevent the boat from literally rotting away.  So they get expensive, even for simple craft. The implication is that there is a limited market of buyers interested in investing in a wooden boat, and those that are, are interested in very high-end boats like Hinckleys, Chris Craft runabouts, etc.  Generally, they're pretty well off - so if you currently run in those circles, you've got a good chance of making some sales.

My interest in boat building started out at a young age; I built my first "boat" (really a raft) when I was 7 years old out of purloined liberated materials from construction sites around our subdivision. I had no clue about displacement or stability - Archimedes, pfffft, whadda those old farts know? - was my attitude at the time.  Wood floats == anything made out of wood should float too.  As it turned out, those things actually mattered.  After dragging my raft through the phragmites swamps of the Elizabeth River behind The Colonial grocery store, I pushed off from the shore with dreams of Huck Finn adventures fueling my imagination...only to have the raft submerge up my waist, then squirt out like a watermelon seed from under my feet.  Boatbuilding lesson #1: a) the sea is an unforgiving, harsh, cruel mistress  b) Ima need to steal liberate mo' wood.

By 13, I built a hydroplane in the basement to carry an outboard I found by the side of the road and got running.  I had to saw it in half to get it out the door because I forgot to think ahead - that thing turned out to be a lot of fun once I got it reassembled and launched.

I pursued wooden boat building in Maine after high school, and it seemed to be the only place on the East Coast where you could learn the trade - I did apprenticeships, took classes at the Wooden Boat Magazine school in Blue Hill, and worked in boatyards.  There was a lot going on at the time in boat building; when I lived in Camden, Bruce King and Phil Long were building Whitefin, a cold-molded maxi yacht; I would go down to the shipyard and ask a lot of questions, trying to get hired, but it never worked out.  Here it is going down the ways in 1983:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57997/WHITEFIN-02_fs_jpg-2816380.JPG

I did manage to get hooked up with North End Shipyard in Rockland when the Dayspring construction was kicking off, I was a laborer, but was able to get a lot of experience steam-bending planks, caulking and paying seams, rigging work, etc.

I eventually went back to school and picked up an engineering degree, then ended up doing ship R&D model testing - the models were built out of wood at the time, so I just stepped right into the job.  Worked out pretty well.
View Quote

Excellent, thank you. I have a copy of Chappelle's Boatbuilding, and I believe the one you suggest has been on my Amazon list for several years now.

I've been casually looking at courses from the wooden boat school, looks like they have one out of Annapolis for a canoe, which would probably be a good start. I also have plans (and a sail) for a 14ft sharpie from bateau.com, which I know isn't a real wooden boat, but it would be a boat, made of wood, that looks like a lot of fun to build and sail. I just need to force myself to have the time and spend the money to make it happen.

I already have a degree in engineering, so perhaps that will help too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:09:44 AM EDT
[#31]
With “trainees” that would be great, right up until rough seas. There’s a reason salvaging sunken sailing vessels is still going on a hundred years after they were obsolete. ;-)
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sigh. What the fuck is with your attitude and immediately knee jerk "you are a woman" reaction?

Really?

To sustain the current levels trade using modern container ships.....

How many ships capable of 2 to 20 cargo containers each would have to be constructed to replace the thousands of ships that carry 10000-25000 each?

You do also realize that in the past, to support shipbuilding in the 1600s onwards, vast forests were cut down, and that was not nearly as many ships.

Additionally the age and types those trees are not quickly grown or replaced.

But please, continue to call me a woman, moron, etc.

It makes you look very intelligent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh. What the fuck is with your attitude and immediately knee jerk "you are a woman" reaction?

Really?

How many ships capable of 2 to 20 cargo containers each would have to be constructed to replace the thousands of ships that carry 10000-25000 each?

You do also realize that in the past, to support shipbuilding in the 1600s onwards, vast forests were cut down, and that was not nearly as many ships.

Why do the modern sailing ships need to be made from wood? Just so you two can argue like a married couple?

I think expensive, small, crew intensive, environmentally friendly ships are a wonderful idea for moving certain cargo. That cargo should be stamped "this item costs twice as much because it was shipped on a zero emissions sailing vessel." The tree huggers would gladly shell out extra and some people who like sailing could profit off of them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The knowledge necessary to make that thing sail where you want it to go is mind boggling to me (I'm a baby sailor.)  

Good Lord, how do you even know which sheets, halyards and stays you are being told to tighten or loosen?

I know, I'm sure this is nothing to real sailors. But holy crap.  People who have never used wind to move a boat have no idea how simple---and how insanely complex---the whole thing is.

Both at the same time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The knowledge necessary to make that thing sail where you want it to go is mind boggling to me (I'm a baby sailor.)  

Good Lord, how do you even know which sheets, halyards and stays you are being told to tighten or loosen?

I know, I'm sure this is nothing to real sailors. But holy crap.  People who have never used wind to move a boat have no idea how simple---and how insanely complex---the whole thing is.

Both at the same time.

There is a way to get some practice with the more complicated rigs.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Every once in a long while, I'll start thinking it might be fun to build something like that and try it out, but then I remember I'm not a masochist.

I do want to try a schooner rig, though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Sailed with a friend a few times.  When everything is set and running I think, "yeah, this is nice, I could get in to this."  Then everything goes to shit and I'm reminded that it's a lot of work to go slow.

Still, I do think it would be a good skill to have if the SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Methinks that when someone's first kneejerk is to call someone a homo or girl parts and so on is what is dominating their own personal concern.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Clipper ships are pretty ficking awesome.
To look at.
But I'd rather not sail on them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a 20'.

Edit- a 20' is 24 metric tons, or 53,000lbs.

A 40' is right around 35 English tons, might have been an error.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I had no idea those tiny tall ships even existed!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64025/minitallship_jpg-2825999.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64025/minitallship2_jpg-2826000.JPG

Every once in a long while, I'll start thinking it might be fun to build something like that and try it out, but then I remember I'm not a masochist.

I had no idea those tiny tall ships even existed!

There's even a low budget, entry level version called a Mini Brig (I think the plans are $25).

Mini-Brig Sail Practice June 2016 (Deas Island)

I haven't seen plans offered for the slightly larger ones, so I'm wondering if they are taking the plans that are available for people to build scale models of past tall ships, scaling them up to the size they want, then making any changes necessary to make them safe/practical to build and sail.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both at the same time.

I found some information on the Federalist.  It's apparently a reproduction of a design from the early 1800s late 1700s that was presented to Washington as a gift , with a length on deck of 15 foot and a 5 foot beam.

Attachment Attached File

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top