Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if there are any dark planets anywhere in Andromeda.  It looks like the stars are all so close there would be twilight on every side of every planet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
ZOOM IN!!!

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The Hubble website description of the image in the OP says that it's a portion of Andromeda, rather than NGC 300.

For scale, here's Andromeda brightened about 1 f-stop above the surrounding sky...
[taken with a 20mm lens with a 35mm format camera]

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if there are any dark planets anywhere in Andromeda.  It looks like the stars are all so close there would be twilight on every side of every planet.
View Quote

We're looking from so far away that they look close together much like someone from Andromeda looking at our galaxy would see us as a giant blob of light
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We're looking from so far away that they look close together much like someone from Andromeda looking at our galaxy would see us as a giant blob of light
View Quote
No they wouldn't.

Our galaxy is about half as massive and half a large as theirs, so ours would be somewhat less impressive.

Oddly enough (science is strange) ours is just as far from theirs as theirs is from ours.

ETA: OOPS! I see that the latest measurements say that they are about the same size.

A new technique involving the measure of escape velocity gives roughly equal masses for the two galaxies.

ETA #2: They look so "close together" because we are looking through the entire depth of their galactic disc. A galactic disc is many light years thick and is not a single layer of stars.

Their stars are not, on average, any closer to each other than ours are.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
there are aliens in that photograph
View Quote

and they are intelligent and that is why they want nothing to do with earth.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Scientists who think we are alone with those kinds of odds are nuts. We are not special. The ingredients of earth are everywhere. Everything we see is made up of the same elements. The probability of life beyond Earth are guaranteed. We have just started trying to find it or be found ourselves but eventually we will do one or the other. The odds might be so low that there may only be 8 to 15 other intelligent lifeforms in our galaxy but I bet most solar systems have at the least some form of pond scum. I would bet the the great divide for intelligent life is just giving it the right environment for a long enough time. It took Earth 4 billion years with 500 million years of a stable earth to get us here. So give the right planet 300m - 1b years and you will probably see advanced life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are not alone.

Scientists who think we are alone with those kinds of odds are nuts. We are not special. The ingredients of earth are everywhere. Everything we see is made up of the same elements. The probability of life beyond Earth are guaranteed. We have just started trying to find it or be found ourselves but eventually we will do one or the other. The odds might be so low that there may only be 8 to 15 other intelligent lifeforms in our galaxy but I bet most solar systems have at the least some form of pond scum. I would bet the the great divide for intelligent life is just giving it the right environment for a long enough time. It took Earth 4 billion years with 500 million years of a stable earth to get us here. So give the right planet 300m - 1b years and you will probably see advanced life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#9]
with all that we've seen and know about space, and all that we know we don't know, i no longer find photos like that unbelievable. thats just space
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It looks like a speckled countertop.
View Quote

My first thought exactly
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Ain't no way we are alone but we may be a 'needle in a haystack' when you consider the whole universe.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty neat. I shudder when I stop to think about the Cosmos and mostly what Sagan said about it... just a dark vastness..
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 2:45:59 AM EDT
[#13]
We cannot have an accurate map of even our home galaxy, let alone the universe. The positions of stars that we see today on the opposite side of the milky way is where they were over a hundred thousand years ago. Andromeda's position in our night sky is where it was millions of years ago.and on and on. The further we look the greater the disparity of present positions to actual positions because we are looking back in time. If the CMB is first light then it is nearly 14 billion years old, about three times as old as the solar system.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Undoubtedly. I regret that I will not be alive if/when we make first contact.
View Quote

They'll probably try to eat us so you'll miss that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#15]
The amount of stars in that picture is amazing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#16]
...enhance.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#17]

What happens to that theory when we find that there is evidence of pond scum on Mars? That would make 2 planets out of 8 in our solar system to have deveoloped life.

I'll add this article....

Possible new WOW signal.

still waiting on the papers to come out on this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I believe it so your title is false.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We cannot have an accurate map of even our home galaxy, let alone the universe. The positions of stars that we see today on the opposite side of the milky way is where they were over a hundred thousand years ago. Andromeda's position in our night sky is where it was millions of years ago.and on and on. The further we look the greater the disparity of present positions to actual positions because we are looking back in time. If the CMB is first light then it is nearly 14 billion years old, about three times as old as the solar system.
View Quote

I mean, you might think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Two photos of the inner part of Messier 16, taken 20 years apart, with various upgrades to the HST in the intervening time ...

So, where is this thing?

Look at the big granite dome in the foreground.  There are two bright lights to the right, just behind the dome; starting at the left most of those two bright lights, move to a point directly above it, 8/10ths of the way to the top of the image.  That bluish fuzziness, about 1/4 the size of the moon, is the Eagle Nebula, Messier #16.  If I had the IR filters removed from my sensor, the bluish fuzziness would take on a more magenta appearance.

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#22]
And this is what will happen with the Andromeda Galaxy and our Milky Way Galaxy in a few billion years from now...

The view from front row seats!

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If a civilization can somehow manage intergalactic travel it will be so advanced that one of two things will happen. Either they explore everything, attempting to communicate, or at least observe and collect as much data as they can.

Or they realize that it's a mistake to explore and become vulnerable and they come up with something like a Dyson sphere and basically go dark to the rest of the universe.

It's extremely unlikely a civilization that can travel between galaxies wants anything to do with war or hostility towards other species, or they would have killed themselves off way before that point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will never understand why we think the idea of life in other planets is a good thing.

Life is based on, and dependent upon, dominating and consuming other forms of life.

Exactly, I don't want them to find out we are here and wonder what type of barbeque sauce and alcohol pairs well with with humans.

If a civilization can somehow manage intergalactic travel it will be so advanced that one of two things will happen. Either they explore everything, attempting to communicate, or at least observe and collect as much data as they can.

Or they realize that it's a mistake to explore and become vulnerable and they come up with something like a Dyson sphere and basically go dark to the rest of the universe.

It's extremely unlikely a civilization that can travel between galaxies wants anything to do with war or hostility towards other species, or they would have killed themselves off way before that point.

Dark Forest
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top